Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Who eats nuts?
Date: February 22, 2014 12:27AM

1). Do you always buy nuts in their shells?
2). Which nuts do you eat?

I always buy nuts from local farms or backyards. ALWAYS in the shells. I try to sprout walnuts and chestnuts.

The hardest nut to shell is brazil nuts, very very difficult. The nuts usually get broken up and many times not all of the nut comes out (there is often some nut still stuck to the shell). Impossible to sprout Brazil nuts in my experience.

Almond nuts are great to eat and easy to shell, but l think Hazels nuts are even better nutritionally. Hazel nuts can inflict a very nasty sting on the fingers when trying to shell, so special techniques need to be applied. Haven't had any success is sprouting hazel/almonds.

Shelling walnuts for sprouting (without breaking them) is an artform.

Will try and get pisachio nuts this year for sprouting also.

It's good to combine nuts of walnut, brazil, hazel/or almond, and sometimes with pisachio.

Chestnut is not a good nut...low in fatty acids and minerals and protein, but good in B vitamins.

Nuts are very time consuming and inconvenient because of the shelling process. I try to have them once a week. That can be an extra 6 different foods you can add to the diet.

I have a soft spot for the almonds and hazel because of their good mineral and calcium contents, but l also like the walnut becauise of their Polyunsaturated fat over Monounsaturated fat, and also omega 3's. Also, walnuts are said to be one of the best brain foods that causes the brain to make dozens of new neurotransmitting connections each time a walnut is eaten.

Would be ideal to have a cold pressed nut paste if you can. Easier to digest without having to chew and chew so much.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 12:35AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who eats nuts?
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 22, 2014 01:35AM

I haven't been buying them in shells, will have to start doing so, but I eat sprouted walnuts, brazil nuts, pistachios, and almonds. I'm going to start eating more macadamia nuts too.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 22, 2014 01:43AM

I buy all my nuts shelled and keep them in the fridge and freezer. I harvest black walnuts from the yard which are really almost impossible to shell in anything like a timely matter - not to mention the whole process is very time consuming and messy with them. This thing is pretty much mandatory for black walnuts, IMO....

[blackwalnutcracker.com]

I really like nut milks. My favorite is made with two parts Brazil nuts to one half part macadamia nuts. Out of this world combo, IMO.

Posted by: Naza ()
Date: February 22, 2014 02:10AM

I prefer nuts with their shells on. For me, it seems fresh when you're the one to open it.

Get Fit from Within
Nazafit Online Fitness and Nutrition - CHEK Holistic Nutrition and Lifestyle Coach, Master personal trainer, IPAC Physique conditioning coach and whole live food nutrition expert

[www.nazafit.com.au]

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 22, 2014 03:37AM

i like macadamian nuts

there are special cutters for them

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: February 22, 2014 04:26AM

Coconut. You always get it raw. The best and richest nut.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: February 22, 2014 05:11AM

At the beginning I used to buy them without shells. Then I bought them with shells.

My favorite are walnuts. I buy them in shells from the peasants at the fruit/veggie market. Also my husband's brother has a walnut tree in his yard and I have been eating walnuts harvested from his tree.

Now I do not eat nuts, I find they slow down my digestion and take up too many cals that I could have taken from sweet fruits.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Date: February 22, 2014 05:12AM

Something to be aware of with nuts, tannin binding. Tannins in various nuts will chelate minerals to different levels depending on the food. Almond tannins do bind much more heavily than other nuts in this study. A facsinating study.

Copper ions were most effectively chelated by the constituents of the tannin fractions of hazelnuts, walnuts and almonds. At a 0.2 mg assay addition level, the walnut tannins complexed almost 100% Cu. The Fe complexation
capacities of the tannin fractions of walnuts and hazelnuts were weaker in comparison to that of the almond tannin fraction, which at a 2.5 mg/assay addition level, bound Fe by 90%. The capacity to chelate Zn was quite varied for the different nut tannin fractions: almond tannins bound as much as 84% Zn, whereas the value for walnut tannins was only 8.7% and for hazelnut tannins, no Zn chelation took place at the levels tested

Chelation of Cu, Zn, and Fe by Tannin Constituents of Selected Edible Nuts

Magdalena Karama?

[www.mdpi.com]

We think nuts are nice and innocent, but they do have various sharp teeth, and they can chew you up and spit you out if you are not careful.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 05:14AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 22, 2014 07:28PM

"Also, walnuts are said to be one of the best brain foods that causes the brain to make dozens of new neurotransmitting connections each time a walnut is eaten"

Interesting, do you have any sources regarding this I could read up on, specifically the creation of new neurotrasmitting connections?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2014 07:30PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 23, 2014 07:18AM

Here's the nut cracker I have. It works well on macadamias.

Date: February 24, 2014 03:43PM

Before this thread came up it never occurred to me that I might be able to use my black walnut cracker for cracking macadamia nuts because I assumed it was too highly specialized of a tool.

Seeing how close Prana's cracker appeared to mine I did a bit more investigation and found out all I have to do is make a minor adjustment to be able to use it on macadamias!!

Anyone have a good source of fresh bulk Hawaiian or, better yet, Australian, macadamia nuts in the shell for sale with reasonable shipping costs?

P.S. For the kind of cracker I have you don't have to fasten it to a board and hold it down with one hand. What I do is fasten it temporarily while I'm using it to the deck railing with two 4" C clamps. Cracking these hard nuts is so much more pleasant when you do it outside. I just put out a big tarp on the deck to catch everything which also makes cleanup very easy.

[www.kenkelnutcracker.com]

Posted by: sintro ()
Date: February 25, 2014 04:48AM

I've been eating these
[2die4livefoods.com.au]

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 25, 2014 10:19AM

Activated? Unless the nuts are sprouted at home, they will spoil during shipping.

Date: February 25, 2014 01:54PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Activated? Unless the nuts are sprouted at home,
> they will spoil during shipping.

Not if they're dehydrated properly after sprouting.

Date: February 25, 2014 03:57PM

Ok will try them but I always thought that it was much easier to go the health store in the city, get some nuts and sprout them.
Here I have to try that someone has sprouted them and dehydrated them.

Date: February 25, 2014 04:14PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Ok will try them but I always thought that it was
> much easier to go the health store in the city,
> get some nuts and sprout them.
> Here I have to try that someone has sprouted them
> and dehydrated them.

Here's Rene Oswald demonstrating how to create your own home "staple stash"
of sprouted and dehydrated nuts and seeds...

[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 25, 2014 05:24PM

dehydrated nuts have their place in a healthy eating home. I do not dispute that.
But and But.
Our body is about 80 percent water. We should take in foods that is about the same water content.

The raw dried seed or nut has less water so that it does not germinate and can stay dormant for thousands of years.

The soaking does the magic by reintroducing water and waking the seed wake up for a new life.

It takes days to gradually introduce water into the seed as a new plant.

Why would I at the end of this time consuming process take that growing seed into a dehydrator to remove the water?

Date: February 25, 2014 05:29PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> dehydrated nuts have their place in a healthy
> eating home. I do not dispute that.
> But and But.
> Our body is about 80 percent water. We should take
> in foods that is about the same water content.
>
> The raw dried seed or nut has less water so that
> it does not germinate and can stay dormant for
> thousands of years.
>
> The soaking does the magic by reintroducing water
> and waking the seed wake up for a new life.
>
> It takes days to gradually introduce water into
> the seed as a new plant.
>
> Why would I at the end of this time consuming
> process take that growing seed into a dehydrator
> to remove the water?

You're welcome.

Date: February 25, 2014 08:41PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "Also, walnuts are said to be one of the best
> brain foods that causes the brain to make dozens
> of new neurotransmitting connections each time a
> walnut is eaten"
>
> Interesting, do you have any sources regarding
> this I could read up on, specifically the creation
> of new neurotrasmitting connections?

Don Tolman made the statement a few years ago that walnuts caused the creation of about 50 new neuroconnections each time a walnut is eaten. While l have been unable to verify the number, it does look like walnuts have a very powerful effect on creating new brain connections.

Dose-dependent effects of walnuts on motor and cognitive function in aged rats

Willis LM, Shukitt-Hale B
(short and sweet study)
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

For humans, a longer study.

Grape Juice, Berries, and Walnuts Affect Brain Aging and Behavior

James A. Joseph , Barbara Shukitt-Hale

[jn.nutrition.org]

A testiment to PHYTONUTRIENTS!!! Same goes with the blue green algae and sprouts imo...the brain becomes on fire. You will grasp subjects with minimal effort and you will be able to see a person as if you are that person....you get great insight into people and the human condition....you pick up on wave vibrations, and yes you can read minds at times when the vibrations are strong. The 6th sense picks up. People say we don't know other people we have never met, but that is not true, we can connect with their vibrations and read them like a book so we know them better than themselves when we function at a high level both mentally and spiritually. We are connected...we all give off energy. As l have always said, it's important to know who we really are, but the system is set up so we don't know who we are...we think we are our name and our body, and we are no such thing.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2014 08:55PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 25, 2014 09:01PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:

>
> The soaking does the magic by reintroducing water
> and waking the seed wake up for a new life.
>
> It takes days to gradually introduce water into
> the seed as a new plant.

Yes, the treatment of seeds is a very serious and important process. It can make or break you.

Sprouting is the awakening of the seeds to produce enhanced biological and intelligent life imo.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 26, 2014 04:30AM

sorry, but the walnut study was poorly done and doesn't really show anything.
the other didn't show anything either
other than some effect from those food extracts.
and there is certainly no surprise that fruits/veggies have a positive effect.

"A testiment to PHYTONUTRIENTS"

it certainly did not show anything about phytochemicals.
nothing was isolated in that manner.

phytochemicals have effects, but those effects are mostly negative, not positive.

some certainly have uses.

anti inflammatories and pain meds have some use in some situations, but going counter to the body's natural inflammatory mechanisms is not typically a good idea. inflammation serves a purpose.

as far as lycopene for example as an antioxidant,
the body has built-in defenses to neutralize free radicals.

I am aware that most people here and elsewhere believe in taking certain foods to have some effect on the body... I don't share that view, it's too dependent on outside factors and doesn't make sense in light of evolution...

Date: February 26, 2014 04:43AM

"I am aware that most people here and elsewhere believe in taking certain foods to have some effect on the body"

It's basic stuff and scientifically proven that certain foods have certain effects on the body. This takes me back to my question from a while ago... since you agreed that fasting cannot cure everything and foods don't cure, how do you explain people reversing disease? How do you explain HHI patients healing if it's not the diet? If food doesn't effect the body in this healing manner, what does? Where is your evidence that phytochemicals are negative?

The body has built in enzymes too, that doesn't mean you don't want more from raw foods. Same with antioxidants.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 04:45AM by jtprindl.

Date: February 26, 2014 01:23PM

did you ever take science classes the body is self healing and self repairing

Date: February 26, 2014 01:47PM

>The body has built in enzymes too, that doesn't mean you don't want more from raw foods. Same with antioxidants.

Load up on them then, there is zero evidence it is necessary.

Date: February 26, 2014 06:01PM

fresh Wrote:
> did you ever take science classes the body is self
> healing and self repairing

Yes, it is, but that doesn't mean foods don't heal and repair either. If our body is all we need, why do people die from disease? Why do you care about what you eat if the body can heal you regardless? This isn't even up for debate, I'm surprised at your lack of knowledge on something so basic as to food being curative. "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" smiling smiley

"Load up on them then, there is zero evidence it is necessary."

Actually it is necessary because when we get enzymes from external sources such as food, our bodies don't need to "waste" our own. You're a self-proclaimed 30-year raw foodist and don't know this? Our bodies would be absolutely useless without enzymes, you wouldn't be able to breathe or move a finger. They are also a big reason why food IS healing, they allow our bodies to function optimally, including curing/preventing disease, detoxification, digestion, etc.

Date: February 26, 2014 06:27PM

>Yes, it is, but that doesn't mean foods don't heal and repair either.

foods do not heal. foods are taken in and broken down by the body and go into the blood. the body takes that nutrient rich blood and the undergoes the processes of assimilation and repair using those nutrients.

>If our body is all we need, why do people die from disease? Why do you care about what you eat if the body can heal you regardless?

I never said that.

>This isn't even up for debate, I'm surprised at your lack of knowledge on something so basic as to food being curative. "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food" smiling smiley

not true.

you're not condescending at all are you?

>Actually it is necessary because when we get enzymes from external sources such as food, our bodies don't need to "waste" our own.

that myth is false. dr howell's book was misinterpreted.

> You're a self-proclaimed 30-year raw foodist and don't know this? Our bodies would be absolutely useless without enzymes, you wouldn't be able to breathe or move a finger.

more condescension?

our bodies require nutrients. not exogenous enzymes.
we possess endogenous enzymes.

> They are also a big reason why food IS healing, they allow our bodies to function optimally, including curing/preventing disease, detoxification, digestion, etc.

absolutely false.

and that is why people go off the rails eating chlorella, probiotics, enzymes, wheatgrass etc...

based on that misunderstanding. imo.

you got any more condescension for me?
And as long as you don't use any naughty words, it's all good, right?

Date: February 26, 2014 07:13PM

"absolutely false.

and that is why people go off the rails eating chlorella, probiotics, enzymes, wheatgrass etc..."

Classic fresh responses of "false" without giving any evidence to back up his statement, living in denial and cognitive dissonance.

"our bodies require nutrients. not exogenous enzymes.
we possess endogenous enzymes."

Yes, our bodies require nutrients, but we also require enzymes. Just because we create our own enzymes (metabolic enzymes) doesn't mean food enzymes aren't of great benefit.

"not true."

Great counter-argument again. Unless you can provide evidence that food doesn't heal in response to the thousands of studies that prove certain foods have therapeutic/curative effects on the human body, you're saying nothing.

If the body can heal itself and food has no curative effects, why do people die from disease?

"foods do not heal. foods are taken in and broken down by the body and go into the blood. the body takes that nutrient rich blood and the undergoes the processes of assimilation and repair using those nutrients."

You just contradicted yourself completely. Foods don't heal but the body needs them in order to get the nutrients from which they would use to repair and assimilate? You don't even make sense.

Date: February 26, 2014 07:34PM

jtprindl Wrote:

>

> "our bodies require nutrients. not exogenous
> enzymes.
> we possess endogenous enzymes."
>
> Yes, our bodies require nutrients, but we also
> require enzymes. Just because we create our own
> enzymes (metabolic enzymes) doesn't mean food
> enzymes aren't of great benefit.
>
> "not true."
>
> Great counter-argument again. Unless you can
> provide evidence that food doesn't heal in
> response to the thousands of studies that prove
> certain foods have therapeutic/curative effects on
> the human body, you're saying nothing.
>
> If the body can heal itself and food has no
> curative effects, why do people die from disease?
>
> "foods do not heal. foods are taken in and broken
> down by the body and go into the blood. the body
> takes that nutrient rich blood and the undergoes
> the processes of assimilation and repair using
> those nutrients."
>
> You just contradicted yourself completely. Foods
> don't heal but the body needs them in order to get
> the nutrients from which they would use to repair
> and assimilate? You don't even make sense.

You got a hint when I showed you the study that showed healing in the fasting state.

but your mind is unable to conceive of another view as you rejected that data and instead redirected into me needing to show you a human study, many of which are available in the fasting literature, hence no incoming nutrients.

now try not to accuse me of recommending fasting as that is not the point.

there is no info that I could show you that would impact your view as you are wedded to that view due to your acceptance of meaningless studies.

I have dissected many studies here, showing that they prove not what they claim to.

ask yourself what is it that you are trying to heal

Then ask what is it that caused that disease.

Removing the cause allows the body to heal

not removing the cause will diasallow healing

Trying to prescribe nutrients and phytos for disease ignores the cause.

but this is all gibberish to you.

carry on.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: February 26, 2014 08:43PM

<<<Removing the cause allows the body to heal not removing the cause will diasallow healing Trying to prescribe nutrients and phytos for disease ignores the cause.>>>

This is the FLAW and the ARROGANCE with Natural Hygiene. Most people who follow Natural Hygiene are making a HUGE Mistake. Yes, they understand the Law of Cause & Effect, but they don’t understand the Ripple Effect, they don’t understand that it is possible to Screw Up the Law of Cause & Effect and that’s when they don’t recognize the Ripple Effect.

Yes, most people who are focusing on the nutrients and phytos for disease are ignoring the cause, but just because we are focusing on the nutrients and phytos for disease does NOT mean that we also Ignoring the Cause.

As I have said countless times, we have 2 Groups of Needs that we must Satisfy. The 1st Group of Needs is based on the Law of Cause & Effect and our Anatomy and our Environment where we have to Remove the Primary Causes and the 2nd Group of Needs is based on the Ripple Effect and the Damage that we’ve done to our Anatomy and our Environment and now we have to deal with the Subsequent Causes that don’t always go away just because we’ve Removed the Primary Causes.

In other words, Removing the Primary Causes is NOT always enough because we cannot change everything overnight. For example, our Livers might be impaired and are no longer able to make any Cholesterol. Now we have another Group of Needs that we must Satisfy because of the Damage that we’ve done to our Liver. In this case, Removing the Primary Causes is NOT enough!

<<<I am aware that most people here and elsewhere believe in taking certain foods to have some effect on the body>>>

<<<You got a hint when I showed you the study that showed healing in the fasting state.>>>

Yes, the body can do amazing things by recycling what we already have, but we no longer live in an ideal world and Water Fasting is no longer safe to do for most of us unless we first prepare ourselves for the Fast. For example, the Liver needs Glutathione to complete a 2 Phase Process to neutralize and eliminate all of the Environmental Toxins that most of us have and since we do NOT receive any Glutathione on a Water Fast, we can actually do a lot of Harm unless we remove those Environmental Toxins prior to the Fast.

Juice Fasting/Feasting is a different story because we are getting Glutathione so we are able to neutralize and eliminate all of the Environmental Toxins.

Now the question remains - Do Foods Heal or Does the Body do the Healing?

Well, in the 2 cases above, the Body cannot Heal without Cholesterol and Glutathione, respectively, so Removing the Primary Causes is NOT enough!

Now let’s take a look at 2 more examples. The first example has to do with Iodine and the second example has to do with Phytochemicals.

Here is a snippet from my file on Iodine…

Now this is what happens when you give iodine to cells, like this is an oat cell carcinoma [oat cell carcinoma is a dated term for a type of lung cancer] that has had the ability to up the cells (to enhance) to absorb iodine. Look at what happens over a 10 day time period if you can get the cells to absorb iodine - that versus that in 10 days. Iodine induces apoptosis [programmed cell death] and iodine will take away cancer. Iodine induces apoptosis - iodine takes away the immortality of the cancer cells and it goes to these cancer cells and says, it’s time to die, go out there and do it because it’s your turn. But cancer cells think of themselves as being immortal and iodine takes away that immortality.

Here is a snippet from my file on Phytochemicals…

"Studies on both humans and animals have shown that plant-derived nutrients are able to prevent the occurrence of, and even reverse, DNA damage that may later result in cancer. ...The ability to remove and fix these partially damaged cells is proportional to their exposure to phytochemicals.

When we consume a sufficient variety and quantity of phytochemical substances to maximally arm our immune defenses against cancer, we afford ourselves the ability to repair DNA damage, detoxify cancer- causing agents, and resist disease in general." -Joel Fuhrman, M.D., "Eat to Live" p. 59

So based on these 2 examples using Iodine and Phytochemicals, let’s ask ourselves, once again, are the Iodine and Phytochemicals Acting on the Body or is the Body using the Iodine and Phytochemicals?

This question is a lot like asking if the Bleach I add to my laundry is whitening my clothes or am I whitening my clothes since I am the one using the Bleach. The Bleach cannot do anything unless I use it, but obviously, I am NOT the one who is whitening my clothes - it’s the Bleach!

So the body is like a Gun and our Food is the Ammunition. The Gun is worthless without the Ammunition and the Ammunition is worthless without the Gun. However, sometimes the Gun can make its own Ammunition, but NOT always, especially if it is impaired!!!

Once again, we have 2 Groups of Needs that we must Satisfy because it is possible to Screw Up the Law of Cause & Effect and that’s when we don’t recognize the Ripple Effect.

Peace and Love..........John

Date: February 26, 2014 11:29PM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> The body has built in enzymes too, that doesn't
> mean you don't want more from raw foods. Same with
> antioxidants.

Yes! Here is a very balanced view l wrote below. It doesn't go all my way and l am very careful to select my words. I am of the view after reading ample literiture that digestive enzymes are important for [perhaps] most people living today because of pancreatic insufficiency, and this might explain why cancer patients have been shown to respond well with oral enzyme supplementation, and why other people with digestive issues report benefits from enzyme supplemetation. I know that is a big call, but lets bring up some issues in this brief summery. First l will begin with the old outdated traditional view of enzymes, and then l will bring up further issues which suggests that enzyme supplementation may indeed be beneficial.

One thing that can be said is that the traditional view of digestive enzymes was wrong on many levels because many assumptions were made. The view that the body had unlimited amounts of digestive enzymes has also been seriously called into question, instead, the body appears to be conserving digestive enzymes.

Whatever uncertainty there may be, these estimates
cannot be taken, either singly or together, as support for
the view that the gland is capable of meeting its need for
digestive enzymes solely by new synthesis. To the contrary,
they provide support for the conservation of digestive
enzymes

and

They provided unexpected evidence that the
conventional belief that every meal is digested by an
entirely new complement of digestive enzymes (Fig. 1) is
incorrect. The data suggested that instead of being completely
degraded in the small bowel with the food they
digest, a large fraction of the digestive enzymes secreted
by the pancreas are absorbed and recycled in an enteropancreatic
circulation (Fig. 1). Not long after the original findings were reported (20,
48), the idea and the evidence were variously affirmed and
questioned by additional experimentation (26, 37, 44, 74,
76–78). Disagreement ensued, and the subject became
controversial (6, 42, 75, 79, 87–90, 94). This was not just
because of the surprising nature of the observations, but
also because they seemed to require that the proteins
cross several cellular membranes in transit, a possibility
viewed as unlikely if not impossible at the time.

Another old assumption was that orally ingested digestive enzymes were degraded in the body, but this is not the case.

As the chyme moved aborally, through the jejunum to
the ileum, only 1% of the lipase activity was still present,
but over 20% of the trypsin and some 75% of the amylase
made the passage without being either degraded or absorbed.

In any event, and significantly,
it turned out that for all of the enzymes, what
passed into the lower small bowel was apparently intact
or almost intact enzyme, not substantially degraded products.

Conservation of Digestive Enzymes

STEPHEN ROTHMAN, CHARLES LIEBOW, AND LOIS ISENMAN

[course.zju.edu.cn]

So what does this prove? Well, it doesn’t prove that digestive enzymes work, but it was the first serious paper to bring into question that the old viewpoint of digestive enzymes was incorrect and based on many assumptions due to many things about the body being miuunderstood.

BUT….we now know that digestive enzymes do seem to help with treatments of disease. We don’t know how they work exactly, but they do appear to have a positive effect. Here are some examples:

Oral therapy with proteolytic enzymes decreases excessive TGF-beta levels in human blood
Desser L, Holomanova D

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Modulation of growth factor binding properties of alpha2-macroglobulin by enzyme therapy
Lauer D, Müller R

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Co-medication with hydrolytic enzymes in radiation therapy of uterine cervix: evidence of the reduction of acute side effects
Dale PS, Tamhankar CP

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I could post study after study suggesting the effects of digestive enzyme supplementation on diseased states, but l think you get the point.

Now…lets move onto something more exciting before ending with the finale.

Can the body be short of digestive enzymes? Yes. It is said that pancreatic problems are the main cause, and according to Brian Clement moist humans at HHI have under active pancreatic activity (both sick and `so called’ healthy people), and this might explain why so many report better digestion when taking enzyme supplements. Here is a medical view below which partially goes along with my view, but not completely.

You don't need to get proteolytic enzymes from food, because the body manufactures them (primarily trypsin and chymotrypsin). However, deficiencies in proteolytic enzymes do occur, usually resulting from diseases of the pancreas (pancreatic insufficiency). Symptoms include abdominal discomfort, gas, indigestion, poor absorption of nutrients, and passing undigested food in the stool

Sound familiar? Many people do appear to have these problems.

Now for the finale, however, the edge is taken off because there could be a conflict on interests, but at least this was disclosed in the study near the bottom.

An open label study to determine the effects of an oral proteolytic enzyme system on whey protein concentrate metabolism in healthy males
Julius Oben, Shil C Kothari

[www.jissn.com]

PURPOSE OF STUDY
The purpose of this study was to determine if Aminogen®, a patented blend of digestive proteases from Aspergillus niger and Aspergillus oryzae, would significantly increase the in-vivo absorption rate of processed WPC over control values.

The highlights of the study:

A patented blend of digestive proteases (Aminogen®) increased the absorption rate of processed whey protein concentrate (WPC) over controls, as measured by statistically significant increases in AUC, TSAA levels, ISAA levels and N2 balance

This indicates that protease supplementation increased the absorption rate amount of the WPC and is further supported by significant (2.2 and 3.5 times) increases in the AUC in each TG (test group) relative to each CG (control group)

I haven’t read this entire study yet (I usually do before posting them), but this is interesting too.

Properties and Therapeutic Application of Bromelain: A Review
Rajendra Pavan, Sapna Jain

[www.hindawi.com]

Bromelain has a wide range of therapeutic benefits, but the mode of its action is not properly understood. It is proved that bromelain is well absorbed in body after oral administration and it has no major side effects, even after prolonged use. All the evidences reviewed in this paper suggest that bromelain can be used as an effective health supplement to prevent cancer, diabetes, and various cardiovascular diseases in the long run

My conclusion
The science on digestive enzymes is not very well understood and only in it’s infancy, but what can be clearly said is that the traditional view on enzymes and supplementation is now highly questionable and various assumption have been proven to be wrong. It also looks like oral digestive enzymes could play a beneficial role, especially for those with under active pancreatic activity, which l believe are many people living today because of digestive disorders.

Many people including myself, commonsenseraw and others report benefits from fermented foods to overcome digestive issues. Many people including myself report benefits from digestive enzymes. Many people report benefits from eating raw foods before a cooked meal. I don’t think this is no accident. The problem is that we can’t prove why this is the case because the issues are extremely complex, BUT we need to remain open minded because of some of the findings and circumstances presented above. In time l think scientists will be clued up enough to be able to explain all these things linked much much better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2014 11:30PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables