Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detoxifying the liver
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 22, 2014 09:43PM

[nutritionfacts.org]

"There’s lots of talk these days about detoxing, but talk is cheap—our liver is actually doing it, all day every day, and if we want to detoxify, the best thing we can do is boost our liver’s own detoxifying enzymes … and sulforaphane is the most potent natural phase 2 enzyme-inducer known. That’s one of our livers’ detoxication systems. So where do we find this stuff? Broccoli, which produces more than any other known plant in the world
In micromoles per gram seed fresh weight broccoli’s #1, then kohlrabi, and cauliflower gets the bronze. It’s interesting, broccoli raab… which is all gourmet, expensive. Is it worth the extra price? No, broccoli raab produces about 500 times less than broccoli…

Broccoli is an exceptional source of sulforaphane, but at the same, there’s none actually in the vegetable… until, you bite it.

You know those chemical flares, or glow sticks, where you snap them and chemicals in two different compartments mix and sets off a reaction? Broccoli does the same thing. In one part of the cell it keeps an enzyme myrosinase, and in another part it keeps something called glucoraphanin. There is no ?, which is what we want, anywhere in in broccoli—until some herbivore starts chewing on the poor thing.

Cells get crushed, the enzyme mixes with the glucoraphanin, which is a type of glucosinolate, and sulforaphane is born and the herbivore is like, ew, this tastes like broccoli and runs away. The plant uses it as a defense against nibblers and noshers. Little did broccoli count on a little lemon juice and some garlic, maybe a little tahini dressing. It’s our counterattack.

Just make sure to chew, otherwise you won’t get as much of that magical mixture. In this study they had people just swallow broccoli sprouts whole, day 1 and got some action—obviously their stomach stepped in and did a little churning, but on day three when they actually got to chew their sprouts, you can see significantly more got absorbed into their bodies.
Chew it or lose it."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detoxifying the liver
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:13PM

Great info. will try to get into broccoli sprouts. They are hard to grow from past experience.

Date: March 14, 2014 03:17PM

the trick is to chew well the broccoli. It has two parts that need to be mix together by chewing to become active. Otherwise it won't work.

Date: March 14, 2014 03:22PM

Interesting that only broccoli has this special property and no other sprout.
There is a special scent and smell with this sprout.
I prefer to blend it at low speed and keep the smoothie in the mouth for a long time.
I should get into making great salad.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2014 03:26PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 14, 2014 03:28PM

if you like broccoli, check out all this vids:

[nutritionfacts.org]

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 14, 2014 03:42PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great info. will try to get into broccoli sprouts.
> They are hard to grow from past experience.

They shouldn't be too hard to grow, seem very easy from my experience. I grow them in soil though, not jars. I soak them for 8 hours, put them in a tray and cover. Once they're planted, I give them a heavy watering in the morning and a light water at night and cover them with another tray until they grow tails. Then just follow the same watering process until they're ready for harvest. You're right about the scent, I love the smell of broccoli sprouts.

Date: March 14, 2014 03:47PM

Thank I will try the soil method. I prefer to use soil with wheatgrass, and sunflower sprouts.

Date: March 14, 2014 03:49PM

if you were born under a gold mine, you could try this:

[www.amazon.com]

It would help with the broccoli sprouts as it circulates the air around the sprouts. See a mini review here: [www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 14, 2014 04:05PM

Panchito Wrote:
>
> Broccoli is an exceptional source of sulforaphane,
> but at the same, there’s none actually in the
> vegetable… until, you bite it.

Same is true for garlic but you don't have to bite them. You can macerate them. Just wait around ten minutes after macerating before eating to get the full benefit.

Date: March 14, 2014 09:38PM

But the garlic is not a food.

Date: March 14, 2014 10:17PM

Raw garlic is a wonderful medicinal food. For one thing it is most excellent for assisting in ridding the body of mercury, copper, arsenic, cadmium, and lead.

Date: March 14, 2014 10:27PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Raw garlic is a wonderful medicinal food. For one
> thing it is most excellent for assisting in
> ridding the body of mercury, copper, arsenic,
> cadmium, and lead.

It has a lot of medicinal qualities but it's said to have a potent neurotoxin it in, sulphone hydroxyl ions. Not sure if it only affects sensitive people or if it's in such small quantities it'd be irrelevant.

[www.relfe.com]

Date: March 14, 2014 10:48PM

Nature knows how to protect us against things that may be harmful to us.

That is why garlic is not delicious.

Date: March 14, 2014 11:02PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> Nature knows how to protect us against things that
> may be harmful to us.
>
> That is why garlic is not delicious.

Different people have different tastes so that doesn't really apply. Some people find garlic delicious. Cooked meat is harmful but people eat hamburgers, steak, and bacon all the time because they enjoy the taste.

Date: March 15, 2014 01:11PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Raw garlic is a wonderful medicinal food. For
> one
> > thing it is most excellent for assisting in
> > ridding the body of mercury, copper, arsenic,
> > cadmium, and lead.
>
>
> It has a lot of medicinal qualities but it's said
> to have a potent neurotoxin it in, sulphone
> hydroxyl ions. Not sure if it only affects
> sensitive people or if it's in such small
> quantities it'd be irrelevant.
>
> [www.relfe.com]
> l

One of the reasons you don't want to become low on lipids, if you have neurotoxicity, (which most of us do to some extent), is because deficiencies make the nervous system even more vulnerable to fat soluble metals. You need a constant replenishment of fatty acids to replace those which have been oxidized by the heavy metals, etc.

Garlic's sulfhydryls have an affinity for, and oxidize, the heavy metals, (one of the reasons I'm such a big fan of sulfur), which makes them water soluble and easier to excrete from the body. So while it may appear to some that the garlic is a neurotoxin in actuality it is the dislodging of the heavy metals which is causing detox symptoms which are mistaken for garlic, in itself, being the neurotoxin. IMO - based on my own experience and logic.

Remember it was the sulfhydryl group in the old DMSA heavy metal chelation method which was responsible for getting the job done.

[en.wikipedia.org]

So, yeah, it would not be the best of ideas to fly a plane while undergoing even a minor heavy metal detox especially if your low on fresh clean unoxidized fatty acids and selenium, etc, which most people are. But let's not blame wonderful garlic for those problems.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables