Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone eat sprouted grains?
Date: March 12, 2014 08:53PM

Most people seem to avoid sprouted grains.

Who has sprouted grains?
What sprouted grains do you have?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone eat sprouted grains?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 16, 2014 01:55AM

I have tried in the past sprouted wheat and sprouted buckwheat.
I read about sprouted rice or sprouted brown rice.
The problem is that they are all difficult to eat row.

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: March 16, 2014 03:02AM

Fruits for humans
Grains for birds

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: March 16, 2014 03:40AM

i tried sprouting brown rice before

it was chewy
put it in a bowl of tomatoes onions lemon juice and cilantro
it was somewhat tasty lol

i was wondering though

does that help with the phytic acid and or lectins?

what are the best grains to sprout?
how bout quinoa

and i thought all that buckwheat has gluten and gluten is "bad"

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 16, 2014 03:54AM

Buckwheat isn't a grain and is gluten-free. Quinoa isn't a grain either but I think it has similar anti-nutrients.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 16, 2014 04:37AM

heck no

Date: March 16, 2014 05:42AM

Fermented crushed wheat sprouts & fermented millet (birdseed) sprouts

The wheat is part of my dinner that l will be starting in less than an hour.

Also having algae and lentil sprouts. Sprouted long enough to eliminate uric acid. High quality dinner. smiling smiley

Had broccoli/alfalfa/fenugreek sprout juice for breakfast, and had kelp/chlorella and sunflower sprouts for lunch with B12 bacterial supplement. Great breakfast, great lunch, and wonderful dinner.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 24, 2014 12:12AM

If I am making a raw cracker maybe. But not too often. Maybe rejuvelac- My raw champagne with OJ. Makes my @#$%& fluffy.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 24, 2014 12:12AM

If I am making a raw cracker maybe. But not too often. Maybe rejuvelac- My raw champagne with OJ. Makes my @#$%& fluffy.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 24, 2014 02:35PM

yeah, sprouted kamut & rye for manna bread. Sprouted quinoa (not really a grain) for salads. Sprouted lentils (7 grams of protein per cup) and mung beans (3 grams of protein per cup). Obviously, except for the kamut and rye, these aren't grains. but some have included these in the thread, so thought I'd.

Date: March 24, 2014 02:47PM

But how do you eat sprouted kamut and rye?
I has to be made into dehydrated bread?
Pretty hard to eat them raw.

Date: March 24, 2014 03:07PM

I usually eat them as bread. But could sprinkle them onto a salad, I agree those, if in a salad just sprinkled.

The sprouted themselves are soft and a little sweet. But best used sparingly if not in bread. Also, the window for getting sprouted without fermentation or grassy taste is pretty short. If the sprout gets much longer the grain, it's probably not going to taste good even in bread. But don't throw them out, make wheat or rye grass and juice instead.

Date: March 24, 2014 03:16PM

Such a small window for human consumption.

Maybe they were not meant for humans.

What do they bring health wise that cannot be achieved with other foods?

Date: March 24, 2014 03:50PM

Hmmmm... tough for me to believe not meant for humans when they have sustained human growth and development throughout the neolithic era for the last 10,000 years, albeit in cooked form. [www.youtube.com]

A little barley, wheat or rye sprouted on a salad or manna bread is fine. I think it's better to have a little diversity in your food choices. That said, I agree it's not essential. I think you are correct that there aren't very many nutrients in grains you can't provide with other sources on a raw vegan diet. So, agree in part & disagree in part.

Paul

Date: March 24, 2014 04:06PM

Nuts have those tough shells, and grains have the toxic anti-nutrients, lectins, gluten, and phytates. (Of course there are some obvious exceptions. Fruits are tasty, nutritious, and delicious so that animals will eat them whole and @#$%& out the seeds, preferably into some fertile soil. The seed stays intact throughout the digestive process; it is indigestible by design. No seed “wants” to be digested, because this would defeat the purpose. They “want” to be swallowed, or borne by the wind, or carried by a bee to the next flower, but they do not want to be digested.)

Some animals are clearly adapted to grain consumption. Birds, rodents, and some insects can deal with the anti-nutrients. Humans, however, cannot. Perhaps if grains represented a significant portion of our ancestral dietary history, things might be a bit different. Some of us can digest dairy, and we’ve got the amylase enzyme present in our saliva to break down starches if need be, but we simply do not have the wiring necessary to mitigate the harmful effects of lectins, gluten, and phytate.

Read more: [www.marksdailyapple.com]

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 24, 2014 05:21PM

phytates are good for bone density and they are also anticancer (colon)

[nutritionfacts.org]

Cancer prevention strongly acknowledges the importance of diet, as dietary factors are the most important environmental risk factors for cancer. Within recent years, a large number of naturally occurring health-enhancing substances of plant origin have been recognized to have beneficial effects on cancers, known as phytochemicals. Yes, beans, chickpeas, split peas and lentils are packed with all sorts of nutrients we need, but the reason they may protect against several degenerative diseases may be due to non-nutritive compounds in plants, or even so-called antinutrient compounds like phytates. The reputation of phytate has had a roller coaster ride ever since its discovery; it has undergone alternate eminence and infamy. What everyone can agree on though is that phytates, also known as phytic acid, are one of the most fascinating bioactive food compounds and are widely distributed in plant foods.

In the U.S. colon cancer is the second leading cause of cancer death, but in some parts of the world, they’ve had just a tiny fraction of our rates, with the highest rates reported in Connecticut, and the lowest in Kampala, Uganda. The famous surgeon Dr. Burkitt spent 24 years in Uganda and most of the hospitals in Uganda he contacted had never seen a case of colon cancer. Noting they live off diets centered on whole plant foods, he figured that maybe it was the fiber that was so protective.

Studies like this, though, called that interpretation into question. Danes appear to have more colon cancer than Finns, yet Danes consume almost twice the dietary fiber. What else, then, could explain the low cancer rates among plant-based populations? Well fiber isn’t the only thing found in whole plant foods, missing from processed and animal foods. Maybe it’s the phytate.

Dietary phytate, rather than fiber per se, might be the most important variable governing the frequency of colon cancer, as we know phytate is a powerful inhibitor of the iron-mediated production of hydroxyl radicals, a particularly dangerous type of free radical. So the standard American diet may be a double whammy, the heme iron in muscle meat plus the lack of phytate in refined plant foods to extinguish the iron radicals.

This may account for what they found in the Adventist study. They found excess risk of cancer for higher intakes of both red meat and white meat, suggesting all meats contribute to colon cancer formation. About twice the risk for red meat eaters, and three times the risk for those eating chicken and fish, but those eating meat could reduce their risk in two ways, by cutting down on meat or by eating more beans, an excellent source of phytates.

So it’s not just how much meat we eat, but our meat to vegetables ratio. Between the two extremes (high-vegetable and low-meat diets versus high-meat and low-vegetable diets) a risk ratio of about 8 appears to exist, sufficient to explain a substantial part of the international variation in the incidence of colorectal cancer. Those with the worst of both worlds, high meat and low vegetable, were at 8 times the risk.

Date: March 24, 2014 05:46PM

Why suffer in the name of bit of diversity?

There are so many other foods to choose from for human consumption

Sprouting grains may never get rid of all of the anti nutrients.

Grain grasses for juicing is a win.

Currently I am trying corn micro greens.

Life is good.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 24, 2014 11:13PM

the message is that an "antinutrient" could have a beneficial non-nutritional role

Date: March 25, 2014 05:37AM

Most anti nutrients do seem to have benefical roles, but we need to keep them in check until we build up the bacteria and enzyme levels in the body (imo) so we can break the anti nutritional chelates that they form.

Many phytochemicals are anti nutrients. Oxalic acid, tannins, phytates, goitrogens etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 05:40AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: March 25, 2014 04:38PM

I will never understand why when a person has a negative experience with a particular type of food, then they think it is best for all humans to avoid? How narrow minded, grains are awesome and I feel sorry for all those who can't eat them, but please stop trying to make all other humans avoid them it is just a waste of your energy.

Date: March 25, 2014 05:06PM

What makes grains awesome?
Nobody is forcing their view, the issue is that raw grains are not easily digestible.
So you have to cook them. Yet you want to be raw.
The forum is discussing how to make them digestible.
Would love to eat sprouted raw rice but how?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 05:18PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: March 25, 2014 10:40PM

Superjuice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will never understand why when a person has a
> negative experience with a particular type of
> food, then they think it is best for all humans to
> avoid? How narrow minded, grains are awesome and
> I feel sorry for all those who can't eat them, but
> please stop trying to make all other humans avoid
> them it is just a waste of your energy.

Yes, we think in narrow terms about foods. Grains are one of the king foods, but we need to learn how we can unlock their treasures.

Many people know the greatness of sprouted grains...folks of old times and modern times know the benefits. Process them well and bring the body back to health and eat certain foods and all will be o.k.

Brian Clement and Kulvinskas know the score. If they were as disasterous as the science points out they would be causing all types of problems for HHI people. We can tame the wild beast in those sprouted grains, and imo, if we improve our machine via improving enzyme and good bacteria levels in the body we can handle those grains.

It's all to do with upgrading the body machinery, eating certain foods and processing them that counts imo.

Bravo to the sprouted grains. May many here discover their greatness. We need to ease into it. Grains make people strong and vibrant.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: March 25, 2014 10:56PM

"Bravo to the sprouted grains. May many here discover their greatness. We need to ease into it. Grains make people strong and vibrant."

Which are your favorite grains?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/2014 10:56PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: March 25, 2014 11:57PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> What makes grains awesome?
> Nobody is forcing their view, the issue is that
> raw grains are not easily digestible.
> So you have to cook them. Yet you want to be raw.
> The forum is discussing how to make them
> digestible.
> Would love to eat sprouted raw rice but how?

They are full of energy, sugars, protein etc. they build muscle etc.

Yes people are forcing there opinions stating grains are not good for humans here and in many other posts on this forum in general, clearly you already know this?

They might not be easily digestible for YOU, but ANY raw food diet is going to be difficult for a while for most.

You don't HAVE to eat sprouted rice but if you would like to...then just sprinkle it sprouted on your salad. Use a dressing if you don't like the taste

No one has to be fully raw to start out. Grains might be best soaked or sprouted then cooked to start out. This is all a process, a long process for most. Brian Clement said himself he had issues with many raw foods to start out, even some of the healthiest raw foods will be difficult at first, don't force it...no one is going to arrest someone for going slow. This is a mental, physical and spiritual transformation imo and we should not believe that it will be super easy. And when it is not super easy we should not just give up and say well, I read on the internet that this diet is not good blah, blah, blah. The important thing is to go slow make sure you are getting some B-12 to start out, eat a variety of foods and stay vegan! if possible. The proof is there in the form of what the folks at HHI are doing and all the raw foodists that they collaborate with. Brian Clement is going strong on this diet as is his wife, son and many other HHI students.

Date: March 26, 2014 01:01AM

Bravo Superjuice, you said it all perfectly. Imo, if you can't digest raw sprouted grains then something is wrong and your health still needs to be built up.

Fruit and veggie diet for most = running on empty, not going to fix the health problems completely in the long term IMO.

Sproutarian diet for most = running on half a tank of gas.

A fermented, supplemented, algae, seaweed sproutarian diet = running on a full tank of gas. It will fix you eventually.

Date: March 26, 2014 01:07AM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> Which are your favorite grains?

Fermented sprouted millet because it is much less acidic feeling, so you can manage the grain as a staple better. I find the sprouted fermented gluten grains get too acidic so they should be had much more sparingly.

Sprouted beans and sprouited grains can be hard to digest at first, but when you build the body up you can manage it much much better without problems. I still like to top up with ferments regularly because they are extremely important to repair past damage done to the body.

The raw food will not give you enough enzymes alone because people have abused cooked foods for a long time. We need seaweeds, food enzymes and ferments to complete the job imo. And we need other bacteria's such as B12.

In sum...we need to introduce various bacterias and enzymes to restore the body to health. The raw foods are not enough on their own. We are all sick to some degree so we need un-natural measures to restore higher body functioning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2014 01:09AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 26, 2014 01:33AM

>Fruit and veggie diet for most = running on empty, not going to fix the health problems completely in the long term IMO.

anyone can say,imo about anything.
no evidence or logic .
0 for 1

>Sproutarian diet for most = running on half a tank of gas.

true. insufficient calorically for most
1 for 2

>The raw food will not give you enough enzymes alone because people have abused cooked foods for a long time.

no evidence of that.

1 for 3

>In sum...we need to introduce various bacterias and enzymes to restore the body to health. The raw foods are not enough on their own. We are all sick to some degree so we need un-natural measures to restore higher body functioning.

nope. no evidence of that.

you're 1 for 4.

.250 batting average.
you're gonna be riding the bench, kiwi.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables