Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

snow water vs distilled
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2006 12:28PM

Hi

from the live food laboritory of elnatural

I collected snow last night in a pristine area and let it melt on it's own. This morning I did a back to back taste test between that water and my usual distilled water. The snow water was a little colder. The snow water tasted just slighlty sweeter. Almost identical. Next time I will refrigerate them both so they are the same temp. at the time of testing.

elnatural

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: snow water vs distilled
Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: December 01, 2006 02:31PM

That's nice. I have never tried to drink that.

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:54PM

It would be interesting to get the water tested. Snow has to come through the atmosphere and logically must pick up whatever pollution is there. I would imagine that well water or spring water, having been filtered through the earth, would be purer.

On the subject of water, how do you get your distilled water? I use Mountain Valley bottle water (in glass). When I try distilled, I taste the plastic of the container.

Posted by: rrraw ()
Date: December 01, 2006 06:00PM

Yes, greenie. The water in the air is mixed with the gas Sulphur dioxid (SO2). SO2 is what causes acidification in forests and lakes.

Date: December 02, 2006 05:59AM

greenie

Spring better than snow?, at one time maybe but not any more. Check out deep well injection. Too many chemicals going into rivers. Does those chemicals just stay in the air and continue to concentrate or do they come down to springs where you think it's safe.

I use a pure water distiller, all stainless steel, 5 gallon holding tank, hooked to the water supply and run automatic by demand.

elnatural

Date: December 02, 2006 06:01AM

Hey El Nat, I'll have to come visit you someday and check out your experiments.

I enjoyed the melted snow water I had too.

Distilled water just doesn't seem right to me, too processed.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 02, 2006 12:51PM

What brand water distiller do you use? How much electricity does it use?
Thank you

Date: December 02, 2006 11:49PM

It's made by "Pure Water", can't be much power, bills many times are only 35 or less per month.

Narz where did you get snow in Miami a snow cone machine LOL

elnatural

Date: December 03, 2006 01:12AM

El Natural,

Can you tell us what you paid for your unit? There are no prices on their website.

Thanks

Date: December 03, 2006 03:04AM

ELL-NaturAl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Narz where did you get snow in Miami a snow cone
> machine LOL
>
> elnatural

Ha, it was when I was in Massachusetts, volunteering at the Option Institutde : [option.org]

Date: December 03, 2006 03:15AM

greenie
$700 about 6 years ago

Now direct from the labratory of elnatural

I got more snow, let it melt, then refrigerated both the distilled water and the snow water to the same tempurature. I just did the back to back taste test and the melted snow water is the clear winner. Maybe not so much the taste I'm sensing but the bio activity. They are very close though.

now back to my experiments

elnatural

Date: December 03, 2006 05:20AM

Thanks, El. You are fun.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 03, 2006 06:12AM

El,
I was going to ask about the purity of snow as well. How did you know you collected snow from a pristine area? I am not sure there are many areas on earth left that are truely pristine. Some maybe much better than other areas, but pollution is just so global, especially what can be carried in air and water.

Have you done any experiments with running water over quartz or perhaps some other stones to mimic the action of water running in a stream? I think sand would work as well, but stone would be easier to periodically clean, or heat to control algae or possible bacteria, or anything wich might accumulate on the rock. I would make a little stream to run my water on, but my housemate is pretty weirded out by even smaller theories I want to test out. He just barely can handle composting outdoors.

Another thing I would like to develope is my own bio purification system, using my own urine as the water source, it would take probably several tanks and several weeks of processing to finally arrive at drinkable water. I probably would also include a boiling stage before drinking. I don't know enough about water testing, so I am years away from actually starting anything. At this point its just an obscessive thought which comes up in my mind from time to time. I actually haven't even written out the process either.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 03, 2006 07:33AM

Whatever you do, don't take the yellow snow!

Ian.

Date: December 03, 2006 10:04AM

misslu

I like your stream experiment, the question is how long would the stream need to be.

I have the answer to your bps, it's allready been done and easy to do. Look up solar water purifiers or solar stills. I had one many years ago and they work great.

elnatural

Date: December 04, 2006 05:59AM

El,
I'm not sure how much stream one would have to create. I got the idea from one of the clustered water advocates. It was claimed that clustered water was created by various forces created by the friction of water moving over rocks and sand etc... In nature streams and rivers often go for miles, sometimes thousands of miles. Its claimed that the processing of water usually destroys the clustered water.

In your home, it would be difficult to have miles and miles of stream, unless you were very, very wealthy. I suppose one way to increase the effective length is to have the water repeatedly flow over the same rocks by a pump. Like artificial waterfalls, fountains etc... Then you could run the water for a few minutes, hours or days if you thought that was necessary. Usually people have little fountains largely for the sound and the look, as well as some humidity. Most aren't set up for the additional purpose of creating clustered water for drinking, as far as I know. Most of the fountains I have seen have plastic, and metal pipes which might not have had drinking water in mind. My design would have as much rock and glass as is possible. And possibily some type of pump which isn't electric.

The water treatment I was think of would use plants and would create material for composting as a by product. This isn't exactly a completely original idea either. Its been suggested as a way to treat waste water, and I have heard its already been successfully used. What is different is that the water has not generally be used other than for watering plants, or released into an estuary. That part kind of makes me say...eh, maybe its not effective at creating drinkable water.

Date: December 04, 2006 07:04AM

mislu

I came up with the same idea after I wrote the last message. A fixed amount of water running over the same short course over and over by a pump untill it was structured properly. From reading Victor Schaubeger's "Living Energies" and "The New energy Revolution" and "Nature as Teacher" I would say a spiral vortex would be the correct path with sand, rocks, gravel, and charcoal. You have a good mindset keep going with it.

elnatural

Date: December 05, 2006 04:28AM

El,
Interesting, you mean sort of a waterfall, but it flows down the center, but also in a channel, kind of the concrete driveways on multilevel parking lots? I think it would also have the advantage of limiting evaporation and introduction of dust and other objects into the water, it was completely contained.

Very interesting!
Mislu

Date: December 05, 2006 06:12AM

Mislu

At the top it would be circular, as it spirals down the circles keep getting smaller and the exit ends up in the center at the bottom. Schauberger would make it out of silver coated copper. A half round stainless steel trough would probably work though. A pump would bring the water back to the top.

elnatural

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 06, 2006 06:32AM

Some famous breatharian, I still don't buy it, says all she ate was snow for weeks hiking in mountains..

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables