Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mangoes
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 01, 2006 03:44PM

So, what is the best way to cut a mango? I tried cutting around the circunference of the fruit and pulling the fruit off the pit (like an avocado), but soon realized that this stringy fruit does not give up easily... I ended up peeling it and trying to cut the fruit off the pit.

Any suggestions?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mangoes
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 01, 2006 04:02PM

Hehe, I was thinking of this as well, wondering if there is an easier way as well.

Here's how I a bunch of mango flesh cubes from a mango:
- stand the mango one ended and slice the sides off (using the pit as a guide).
- then, using the pit as a guide, slice the edges off.
- take a side slice, and slice the flesh into cubes (don't break the skin, use a kind of cross hatch pattern). Press the side slice inside out and use either fingers or a knife to removed the mango cubes from the skin. Repeat with the other pieces you've cut off as well.
- Finally, take the pit and try to suck/eat off as much yummy mango as possible.

Anybody got an easier way?

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: Rawrrr! ()
Date: December 01, 2006 06:21PM

Mangoes make my hands break out with a rash, like poison ivy. I read that mangoes were in the poisin ivy family.

The skin has the stuff that makes me break out, so I just use gloves to peel & cut them up.

I love mangos though, and they are one of my favorite fruits. I just wish I didn't have this problem with them.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: December 01, 2006 08:20PM

Rawrr, there is latex in the mango skin, and you might be allergic to latex.

To eat a mango, I take it vertical, and peel the top part first half way. Then eat the opened part to the pit, turn it around and hold it by the pit, Then I finish the peeling and eat it around the pit.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables