Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Eat 5,000 calories a day
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 28, 2014 01:07PM

I recently was on a forum where the site position was to eat as much raw food as possible as long as it was over 5,000 calories a day for a guy and a few less for a gal. What is your calories per day target ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Eat 5,000 calories a day
Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: March 28, 2014 01:26PM

I used to eat between 5,000 to 6,000 calories a day back when I played competitive tennis, but I was also exercising 7 to 8 hours every day. Nowadays, I only exercise 2 to 3 and sometimes 4 to 5 hours a day and I usually eat around 3,000 to 3,500 calories. I tried to see if I could function on less calories as some people claim we can the longer we are Raw and that is total BS. It might seem to work for the couch potatoes, but they never really test whether or not it's enough for peak performance.

Peace and Love..........John

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: March 28, 2014 01:38PM

Wrong Thread...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/28/2014 01:38PM by John Rose.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:10PM

What about fasting.
Zero calories.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 28, 2014 02:32PM

2500-3500

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: March 28, 2014 08:20PM

Some days 1400 cals, other days 2400 cals. It depends on my activity level on that day and on my busy/not busy schedule.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 30, 2014 10:33AM

I think each person needs to establish a daily calorie count that works for them. Sometimes that target is to high or to low and the results speak for themselves. If 500 or 5,000 is the right target for you then you will feel and look good consistent with good health. IMO the BMI (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index) is a reasonable place to start searching for your own daily calorie target and from there it needs to be tweaked to suit each individual because after all we're all different in our own way. I recently got kicked off a forum because I felt that a "one size fits all" of 5,000 calories a day might not be the best daily target for everybody. I still feel that way. smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 30, 2014 01:12PM

Agreed, EZ smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 30, 2014 09:08PM

Agree with EZ and Utopian Life.

Here's a thought (possibly controversial): A higher-Calorie diet may provide more of the nutrients (both macro and micro) that could be missing from a raw food diet that is severely restrictive of certain nutrient-dense foods. Unfortunately, 5,000 Calories might still not provide enough of those missing nutrients for feeling satiated and sustaining the diet over the long term.

It's interesting that eating more Calories does not necessarily equate to weight gain. Maybe the body just starts rejecting Calories coming from redundant food sources. This could be a good thing for a person who likes to eat (like me) - as long as the diet also has enough variety for satisfying nutrient requiremnents.

Personally, I seem to do better focusing on the "what", rather than the "how much", so I don't count Calories.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables