Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mineral Salts deficency?
Posted by: veganrawdude ()
Date: March 28, 2014 09:39PM

I'm a 46 yo male, relatively clean diet, active outdoors, strict vegan, maybe 60% raw at this point. (trying to mover closer to 100%) Off/on bodybuilder (lol) More of a biker/hiker at this point, but I do still lift weights/bodyweight exercises.

When I increase my intake of water, it sees to go right through me. I've done some reading on this and research suggests that I may be low in mineral salts. I've found a mineral salts forumla, Longevity, albeit a bit pricey at $180.00.

But if that is what I would need, I would gladly do it. Your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mineral Salts deficency?
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 28, 2014 09:52PM

I've found that eating fresh greens is a great way to get your minerals and reasonably priced too. smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 28, 2014 11:48PM

True story, EZ rider. smiling smiley

What do you mean water goes right through you?

Date: March 29, 2014 01:03AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> True story, EZ rider. smiling smiley
>
> What do you mean water goes right through you?

I'll normally drink maybe 2-3 quarts/ day. I find that if I start drinking much more than that - I immediately need to urinate. Almost as fast as I take it in - a few minutes later it "wants back out".

I weigh around 170, so 2-3 quarts, approx. 10-12 glasses is considered normal. It doesn't seem right to me that as soon as I drink another glass or two that I need to urinate that quickly.

Google searching on this symptom turned up the Mineral Salts deficency theory.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: March 29, 2014 01:13AM

I would suggest to try to get your water from fruits and veggies instead.
not so much from drinking water.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: March 29, 2014 01:39AM

veganrawdude Wrote:
> I'm a 46 yo male, relatively clean diet, active
> outdoors, strict vegan, maybe 60% raw at this
> point. (trying to mover closer to 100%) Off/on
> bodybuilder (lol) More of a biker/hiker at this
> point, but I do still lift weights/bodyweight
> exercises.
>
> When I increase my intake of water, it sees to go
> right through me. I've done some reading on this
> and research suggests that I may be low in mineral
> salts. I've found a mineral salts forumla,
> Longevity, albeit a bit pricey at $180.00.
>
> But if that is what I would need, I would gladly
> do it. Your thoughts?

Hi Rawvegandude. I weigh less than 120 lbs, am not an athlete, and usually drink around 6 quarts of liquids a day. I am on a pretty high mineral salt diet - Tavis Bradley's Conductivity Diet. He says that to compensate for the depletion of minerals in our soils we should freshly grind Himalayan salt on all our fruits and vegetables in addition to taking seaweeds, (I take around 15 grams of seaweed a day), which are especially high in minerals.

I follow these recommendations and have had no problems of the sort you mention nor do I have any water retention problems from the high mineral intake even when, on occasion, I take in 7 or 8 quarts a day. I always start my day with a quart of water that has several whole pea sized crystals of salt
dissolved in it. I never feel dehydrated or waterlogged but always comfortable.
My eyes never get dry anymore and my salivary glands run a lot better since I've been doing this. I like it - and it's not expensive.

Date: March 29, 2014 01:56AM

I use Himalayan salt, so no problem there. Not sure how I would enjoy freshly ground salt on all my foods, though. I don't have that much of a taste for it. I'll have to read up on Tavis Bradley & do more research.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: March 29, 2014 04:27AM

I was under the impression that there are two types of salts:

1) salts that have undergone a natural absorption process and have been incorporated into the structure of a plant and have become one with the plant.
2) NaCl salt that is made up of chemicals and has not been naturally bonded into a plant.

Please help me to understand the difference so that I can better eat for the health of it. smiling smiley

Date: March 29, 2014 05:03AM

I still don't understand why the water you think the water you are urinating out 3 minutes after drinking some other water, is the same water you took in....

Date: March 29, 2014 12:46PM

veganrawdude Wrote:
> I use Himalayan salt, so no problem there. Not
> sure how I would enjoy freshly ground salt on all
> my foods, though. I don't have that much of a
> taste for it. I'll have to read up on Tavis
> Bradley & do more research.

I also take fulvic acid and shlajit. This is the brand Tavis recommends...
[www.amazon.com]

Date: March 29, 2014 01:18PM

SueZ Wrote:
> veganrawdude Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I use Himalayan salt, so no problem there. Not
> > sure how I would enjoy freshly ground salt on
> all
> > my foods, though. I don't have that much of a
> > taste for it. I'll have to read up on Tavis
> > Bradley & do more research.
>
> I also take fulvic acid and shlajit. This is
> the brand Tavis recommends...
> [www.amazon.com]
> /B002Z9JBX6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=139609684
> 5&sr=1-1&keywords=omica+fulvic+acid

Tavis recommends only drinking good natural spring water and considers that of the utmost dietary importance. As I have no nearby access to that I improvise by distilling my water and compensate for the mineral loss by adding back a few drpos of ionic trace mineral drops...

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 30, 2014 08:35AM

Hi EZ.

Here's my attempt to answer your question:

A Dictionary of Biology (2004, Oxford University Press) defines "mineral salts" as: "Inorganic salts that need to be ingested or absorbed by living organisms for healthy growth and maintenance. They comprise the salts of the trace elements in animals (see essential element) and the micronutrients of plants."

From the same source, “essential element" is: "Any of a number of elements required by living organisms to ensure normal growth, development, and maintenance… The major elements, present in tissues in relatively large amounts (greater than 0.005%), are calcium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, chlorine, sulphur, and magnesium. The trace elements occur at much lower concentrations and thus requirements are much less. The most important are iron, manganese, zinc, copper, iodine, cobalt, selenium, molybdenum, chromium, and silicon. Each element may fulfil one or more of a variety of metabolic roles. Sodium, potassium, and chloride ions are the chief electrolytic components of cells and body fluids and thus determine their electrical and osmotic status. Calcium, phosphorus, and magnesium are all present in bone. Calcium is also essential for cell signalling and nerve and muscle activity, while phosphorus is a key constituent of the chemical energy carriers and the nucleic acids. Sulphur is needed primarily for amino acid synthesis (in plants and microorganisms). The trace elements may serve as cofactors or as constituents of complex molecules, e.g. iron in haem and cobalt in vitamin B12."

One thing that's somewhat confusing is that "mineral salt" is also the commercial term for "rock salt" or "halite" which is the mineral form of plain old sodium chloride (table salt or NaCl).

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: March 30, 2014 04:08PM

there are many salts the body uses that are different from sodium chloride (too lazy to get the book). But the more water you drink the more salt you need (you pee it out). There is a danger of drinking too much water because it depletes the electrolites and you end up in a hospital [en.wikipedia.org] . I eat little salt and drink 2-3 liters of water a day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/2014 04:14PM by Panchito.

Date: March 30, 2014 10:37PM

SueZ mentioned Tavis Bradley; A snippet from his site -

" Taking it one step further i did not consume any water for those 1st 10 years, I went as far as not even allowing a drop of water from the shower to pass my lips.. "

I've heard of other folks doig this as well, only taking in water from juices or high water content foods. Interesting concept. Coming from my athletic background, not drnking water is so foreign to me. I suppose I need to up my juice intake.

Date: March 30, 2014 10:51PM

veganrawdude Wrote:
> SueZ mentioned Tavis Bradley; A snippet from his
> site -
>
> " Taking it one step further i did not consume any
> water for those 1st 10 years, I went as far as not
> even allowing a drop of water from the shower to
> pass my lips.. "
>
> I've heard of other folks doig this as well, only
> taking in water from juices or high water content
> foods. Interesting concept. Coming from my
> athletic background, not drnking water is so
> foreign to me. I suppose I need to up my juice
> intake.

That was in the past. He has been on his Conductivity Diet for almost 11 years now and takes in plenty of water on that. He wants us to learn from his past mistakes. He's learned that taking in plenty of fluids is important.

You know, veganrawdude, I've been thinking that we've all been giving you our two cents based on what you think is a mineral problem but it might be something totally different. Maybe your prostate has enlarged and cut down on your bladder space. That happens a lot to middle age men.

Date: March 31, 2014 04:58AM

If I drink a smoothie or eat some melon or oranges at 10 a.m.
Urinate approximately every 60-90 min. normally.
Drink some water at noon.
Have to urinate at 12:30 p.m.....is the "water" going right through me? Or has my body processed other fluids I took in? Maybe it was retaining some water and now expelled some.....

You could do a dye test to see if it's the same water going out within a few minutes.

Date: March 31, 2014 06:51PM

"Maybe your prostate has enlarged and cut down on your bladder space. That happens a lot to middle age men."

Possible - I've been a strict vegan for many years though, and I was under the impression from past reading that enlarged prostate is normally caused from a SAD diet. I don't really have the other symptoms of getting up in the middle of sleeping to urinate.

"You could do a dye test to see if it's the same water going out within a few minutes." Good idea. What type of dye would one use?

Posted by: Bootzey ()
Date: April 01, 2014 04:39PM

Try celery.... Celery is naturally high in salt. Juicing it will give you an increase in salt.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: April 01, 2014 04:53PM

celery is good for sodium. Salts involve two elements (like sodium chloride). No salts in celery.

Date: April 01, 2014 08:39PM

Agreed and was about to say the same thing. Celery doesn't have salt. It has sodium.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables