Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Feeling light headed, am I eating enough?
Posted by: fleur949 ()
Date: May 05, 2014 09:24AM

Hello,

My intake is around 75% raw vegan for 2-3 weeks. I was already vegetarian for a year and ''almost'' vegan for 4-5 months. (Now im fully vegan smiling smiley ). I've lost some weight when I started eating more raw foods but now I also feel light headed and I have head aches. I also have almost no appetite... For example, when I eat 4-5 bananas for breakfast I can easily go 4-5 hours without food. For example a day meal ''plan'':

before breakfast 500 ml / 750 ml lemon water
breakfast:

- 3 to 5 bananas (in form of icecream) with coconut sugar, berries/dates/other fruit
or
- half a watermelon
or
- 3 apples, 1 pear and 7 medjool dates
or
- fruit cereal

30-40 min later : water and a 3 raw spirulina vitamins, raw vitamin D supplement and a multivitamin

lunch:
- 3 mango's and 1 punnet of raspberries
or
- 2 apples and a bunch of grapes
or
- salad with 1/2 cucumber, chickpeas, sundried oil free tomatoes, tomatoes, onion etc.

snack:
- 2-3 pieces of fruit
or
- dried fruit with nut butter
or

water

dinner:
this is very different all the time, but my latest dinners are:

- baked potatoes (oil and salt free) with salad
or
- veggie stirfry with brown rice
or
- cauliflower alfredo with mais pasta
or
- mais pasta with grilled veggies
or
- falafel

(some dishes include oil)
water

I'm 16 years old and around 57-58 kg. Lost my period (again) for 2 months.

I hope this is enough food...
thanks already!

ps. Sorry for my bad English, I am Dutch!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Feeling light headed, am I eating enough?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 05, 2014 10:33AM

I think you need to eat more green leafy vegetables such as kale, broccoli, spinach, collards, romaine, etc.

Posted by: mattscr ()
Date: May 05, 2014 07:03PM

You can get those kind of symptoms with reactive hypoglycemia, but I'm not sure it's that. I would do what utopian life suggested; eat more greens / vegetables. Lower the fruit a bit, and add a bit of fat like from avocado. Calorie count looks like more than enough, but it's concerning that you lost your period. What is your BMI and fat percentage? This is really important... when you lose a lot of weight it's natural for a woman to lose her period because the body is putting energy elsewhere other than reproduction. It's a conserved mechanism so animals can reproduce when food is plentiful again.

I've had my own calorie intake at 1500k/cal per day for 5 years (now at 1700 for another 5 years), and I had never experienced those kinds of symptoms like dizziness. You want to keep your blood sugar balanced. When you eat a lot of fruit, for some people, it can produce a significant increase in insulin production, which then takes glucose from the blood and the cells absorb it rapidly, causing a significant decrease in glucose (reactive hypoglycemia), until the body responds by increasing cortisol, adrenaline and production of glucose from protein from a process called "Gluconeogenesis".

I'm not sure how much science this group reads because I've just joined, so forgive me if I'm over the top in explaining haha. When you eat a low protein diet, you get a significant decrease in IGF-1 (which is a good thing!); this causes higher levels of glucose in people subjected to something called the GTT (glucose tolerance test). This is why I personally focus more on vegetables and less on fruit.

Crunch your diet on CRON O METER to make sure you're getting everything. It's hard to give more advice with so little information. Hope this helps though! And I hope you figure it out. smiling smiley Good luck...

-------------------------------------------
My blog: [www.crvitality.com]

Posted by: ramanan ()
Date: May 05, 2014 07:30PM

I had a mentor constantly watching me when I started this kind of diet around the age of 15, it's good to have some one supervise and advise you, You can call on Viktorus or BC on this, Matts might be correct on your situation. Keep experimenting and be open to ideas , I started this raw food journey pretty much your age and I am living raw for 30 years , I had a serious spinal cord distortion problem , I need to crawl on floor, I looked like a crook, now I can walk straight like any one else, I would say

Revert back to 50 % cooked vegan diet
Make sure to have 2 bowel movement in a day
Do hatha yoga and pranayma and 15 minutes each
Take bath in warm water
Try to get Sun exposure as Dr Michael Hollick's way

We need to find what percentage of your hemoglobin in red blood cells that carries oxygen is coated with sugar (glycated). Can you give a try on A1C level, the higher our A1C level, the poorer our blood sugar control and the higher our risk of insuline situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2014 07:32PM by ramanan.

Posted by: fleur949 ()
Date: May 07, 2014 01:57PM

thank you all! For now, I'm going to eat more vegetables and a little bit more whole fats (avo's, nuts etc.) then the processed ones.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: May 09, 2014 01:38AM

Here ya go! [www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

Ya need to make sure you are getting enough fat! So much sugar IS NOT good for unhealthy humans, forget about all the fruit you are eating you don't need it. If you have issues related to sugar you don't want all that fruit. No one here can tell you if you have sugar issues, get some real help.

I find usually the people that refuse to stop eating so much fruit are the very ones that have Yeast issues, crazy huh. Unless the person in question is supremely healthy then this is almost always the issue. And, the healthiest people I know DON'T even crave all that fruit, who da thought?

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 10, 2014 04:30AM

maybe also look at cell phone use - known as

cause of lightheadedness

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 10, 2014 05:12PM

fleur949 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hello,
>
> My intake is around 75% raw vegan for 2-3 weeks. I
> was already vegetarian for a year and ''almost''
> vegan for 4-5 months. (Now im fully vegan smiling smiley ).
> I've lost some weight when I started eating more
> raw foods but now I also feel light headed and I
> have head aches. I also have almost no appetite...
> For example, when I eat 4-5 bananas for breakfast
> I can easily go 4-5 hours without food. For
> example a day meal ''plan'':
>
>
> before breakfast 500 ml / 750 ml lemon water
> breakfast:
>
> - 3 to 5 bananas (in form of icecream) with
> coconut sugar, berries/dates/other fruit
> or
> - half a watermelon
> or
> - 3 apples, 1 pear and 7 medjool dates
> or
> - fruit cereal
>
> 30-40 min later : water and a 3 raw spirulina
> vitamins, raw vitamin D supplement and a
> multivitamin
>
> lunch:
> - 3 mango's and 1 punnet of raspberries
> or
> - 2 apples and a bunch of grapes
> or
> - salad with 1/2 cucumber, chickpeas, sundried oil
> free tomatoes, tomatoes, onion etc.
>
> snack:
> - 2-3 pieces of fruit
> or
> - dried fruit with nut butter
> or
>
> water
>
> dinner:
> this is very different all the time, but my latest
> dinners are:
>
> - baked potatoes (oil and salt free) with salad
> or
> - veggie stirfry with brown rice
> or
> - cauliflower alfredo with mais pasta
> or
> - mais pasta with grilled veggies
> or
> - falafel
>
> (some dishes include oil)
> water
>
> I'm 16 years old and around 57-58 kg. Lost my
> period (again) for 2 months.
>
> I hope this is enough food...
> thanks already!
>
> ps. Sorry for my bad English, I am Dutch!

Please get a kit to measure your blood sugar with. They are really cheap and available at any pharmacy. You don't have to guess about such an important factor.

Date: May 11, 2014 12:40AM

Yes, sounds like it could be a blood sugar issue. Limiting fruit for a while can help. But what can we do to really stabilze blood sugar? Here are some excellent blood sugar stabilisers:

* fenugreek sprouts
* chlorella (excellent)
* seaweeds
* dandelion weeds
* chia seed sprouts
* other green sprouts

High amino acid greens is one of the keys according to Brian Clement, and it works. I used to get hungry in the morning and feel all out of sorts, but now l can keep 100% focussed and not feel the need to eat all day if need be.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: May 21, 2014 06:19AM

fleur949, your English is VERY GOOD!!

Since no one has mentioned this, I will ask - have you checked your blood pressure? Do you get dizzy when you change postural positions? Do you feel dizzy if you stand up too quickly? This is referred to as orthostatic hypotension.

I have had this happen a time or two when transitioning to a raw food diet from a more standard regime. I've also discovered that my blood pressure drops when I eat an exclusively raw food diet. Typically, I run about 100/60 on raw food but I have actually seen it as low as 80/40 and that's without any dizziness at all. I think it takes some time to adjust to new habits but everyone is different.

As for fats, I prefer avocados and cold press olive oil. In fact, if you feel you're losing weight too quickly on a raw food diet, the use of cold-press olive oil can slow down the process. Rapid weight loss can result in gallstones.

Tell me, how tall are you?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables