Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Raw Food Newbie
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 05, 2006 08:43PM

Hello All,
I recently ended a 10 day Master Cleanse and am beginning the transition to an all raw vegan lifestyle. This is not a radical transition for me. I've been vegetarian for 12 years and have varied between lacto ovo and vegan the whole time. Being raw is a natural progression for me and I feel pretty strongly about making this work.
The reason I'm writing this however is that I'm curious how other people have dealt with people reactions to the raw diet. When I told my husband what I was going to do he flipped (he is a hardcore steak and potatoes guy after all). It took me hours of explaining that the only difference he'd notice would be the presence of salads at every meal and more fruit in the fruit bowl.
My goal isnt to force him to switch over, but for me to be able to remain positive and strong when I get such negative reactions to what I'm eating.

Thanks for listening

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Raw Food Newbie
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:21AM

I'm surprised that he would react like that since you have been a vegetarian for so many years, maybe he is equating raw with your Master Cleanse.

I would just do raw and wait for the results, you'll start looking better (younger) soon and people will start noticing, and then he might come around.

For example: I went to a Christmas party last week at my husband's work, I used to work there too, 4 years ago, so I knew a lot of the people there, but I've been raw for only 6 months (this time around) so they had never seen me while on the raw diet. This lady at my table kept comenting that I looked diferent and I kept thinking that she meant that my hair was shorter and I kept talking about my haircut. Finally, she said that what she meant was that I looked healthier, and then I started telling her about raw, it was kind of cool.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 02:23AM by tropical.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 06, 2006 02:21AM

Ooops, I double posted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2006 02:22AM by tropical.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: December 06, 2006 03:08AM

My husband is a meat and potatoes guy too. I was vegan for 13 years before switching to raw. He didn't like it, but he's so used to me "doin' my thing" and growing in new directions, that he didn't really try to discourage me. He asked LOTS of questions and I encouraged him to read some of my info on the raw lifestyle. Thankfully he cooks, so I don't have to be one of those who are trying to stay raw vegan and yet are cooking for others.

This site has been a great help for me. I seriously doubt that I could have made the transition without this site and all the terrific people who are so supportive. Eating healthy and raw is like swimming upstream. Most folks aren't used to people who actually take responsibility for their own wellbeing.
We aren't the CRAZY ones. You need to know in your heart that you are stepping out of the "sheeple box". Good luck and have courage! Visit this site, often!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 07, 2006 02:02PM

Well I have had some different and interesting reactions from people..

My parents: We'll see how long that lasts!
My boy friend: Really? Why? (He doesn't really think it's a fantastic idea) But he doesn't put me down either.
My Vegeterian (once vegan) friend: Omg are you serious? Your going more hard core than me!
My brother: That's stupid.
My self: Go for it girl. You have nothing to loose! Everything to gain. And ya know what.. I dont really care what my friends and family think. Its food. Its my choice what I want to eat. And I dont pick at them if they want fast food (crap) or if they want to never eat meat ever again. So whatever. Enjoy life and keep smiling!!! grinning smiley

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 07, 2006 07:26PM

At first:
My mum (vegetrian): Oh, that's a good idea.
My dad (omnivor): I hope you mum doesn't start that.
My co-workers: But, where do you get your protien from!?!?!
My veggie friends: I would like to do that.
My supoortive non-veggies friends: Your food tastes great.
My not-so-supportive friends: Your food tastes great. Khale juice is positionous!
Girls I meet: Let's get together and make raw dishes sometime.
Me: I'm more powerful than you could possibility imagine.

Now, nobody says anything negative about my diet.

Ian.

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 07, 2006 08:19PM

Ian, your comment from your coworkers cracks me up! I hear that same thing.

Today was a good one...our refrigerator at work really stinks, so I told the people here they needed to clean out their old food. One girl looks at me and says "Well, it's all your fruit". OK, I'll let you in on a little secret....my fruit doesn't last long enough to go bad, and fruit doesn't smell like rotten, nasty meat when it gets old! Coworkers are fun, aren't they?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables