Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Are frozen fruits raw?
Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: May 21, 2014 09:37AM

Is frozen fruit from the grocery store actually raw or is it blanched before being frozen? Does anyone know?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Are frozen fruits raw?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 21, 2014 05:08PM

How could anyone on here give you a definitive answer? You would have to contact each company, wouldn't you?

Best way to ensure fruit is unblanched is to freeze fresh fruit yourself. smiling smiley

Date: May 22, 2014 04:30AM

Probably so, banana who.

I've learned some things here though about what isn't raw that I thought was raw. Like raw cashews and raw agave nectar or raw cacao apparently.

This is a learning journey.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 22, 2014 03:55PM

this may help:

[nutritionfacts.org]

"I found two good studies comparing fresh to frozen fruit. One on strawberries and one on raspberries. They both found the same thing: “no statistically significant differences between the…[antioxidant levels] for fresh and frozen strawberries” and “It is concluded, therefore, that freshly picked, fresh commercial, and frozen raspberries all contain similar levels of phytochemicals and antioxidants per serving.”

In fact, frozen last longer than fresh, are available year-round, and tend to be cheaper and more convenient. If you look in my freezer, normally it’s half frozen greens and half frozen berries (though this time of the year it’s also stuffed with 20 pounds of fresh dates!)."

Date: May 22, 2014 06:15PM

Thanks Panchito!

That sounds pretty good. I've bought some frozen fruit and I also freeze it in the fall. The work well for the three-minute smoothie.

Twenty pounds of dates!! Wow!

Date: May 22, 2014 06:50PM

I think people are more concerned about levels of enzymes in frozen produce since the antioxidants are in the color and are not being heated/boiled out.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: May 22, 2014 08:45PM

The bigger concern is organic! I would go frozen organic before I would go "fresh" comercial! I do understand the good question though but it is a good point that the frozen is cheaper so It is a good alternative to fresh commercial.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 23, 2014 12:46AM

organic may not be that healthy either. they hose copper all over in organic produce. Copper is not considered an "artificial chemical" but it can create an imbalance and eventually a toxic condition.

Date: May 23, 2014 03:33PM

No kidding Panchito. I did not know that.

I suppose growing your own food is the best way to ensure that you know what's being done to it before you eat it.

I've heard it said that more organic food is sold than grown. Undoubtedly there must be some unscrupulous retailers who would be willing to increase profits but slapping an organic tag onto their produce.

Date: May 23, 2014 04:24PM

Superjuice Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The bigger concern is organic! I would go frozen
> organic before I would go "fresh" comercial! I do
> understand the good question though but it is a
> good point that the frozen is cheaper so It is a
> good alternative to fresh commercial.

Where do people get that frozen is cheaper? That is just not so. The only exception would be off-season.

Date: May 25, 2014 06:38AM

banana who, here in Canada for some reason unbeknown to me, frozen fruits in some instances can be cheaper than fresh even in the summer. Mangoes and pineapple are two cases in point but you get what you pay for and the flavour of fresh far surpasses frozen.

I originally asked the question because I resorted to buying frozen fruit throughout the winter but I know it is common practice in home canning to blanch fruit before freezing it and I wondered if this is what commercial producers do too.

I explained to my wife one day that with raw food, there are varying degrees of quality but compared to cooked food, it is "high", "higher" and "highest". In my world, frozen would be "high".

Date: May 25, 2014 02:46PM

With mangoes, I am assuming it's because they get them from India for a very inexpensive price. I think you might be right about that because I get frozen mangoes from Trader Joe's and the price is very good compared to fresh, although they taste sour and not frozen at peak time.

Date: May 29, 2014 12:52AM

Panchito Wrote:
> organic may not be that healthy either. they hose
> copper all over in organic produce. Copper is not
> considered an "artificial chemical" but it can
> create an imbalance and eventually a toxic
> condition.

Surely better than the alternative for the most part.

Date: May 29, 2014 01:00AM

banana who Wrote:
> Superjuice Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > The bigger concern is organic! I would go
> frozen
> > organic before I would go "fresh" comercial! I
> do
> > understand the good question though but it is a
> > good point that the frozen is cheaper so It is
> a
> > good alternative to fresh commercial.
>
>
> Where do people get that frozen is cheaper? That
> is just not so. The only exception would be
> off-season.

I find some stuff is cheaper and not even possible to get it fresh. You gotta figure that it is safer to freeze it then it is to try and to get it to market fresh. It's also safer for them to use it as a powdered green drink supplement, no refrigerated shipping, no loss due to oxidation. The big chains like WFM have to charge a high price because of all this and the product is not all that good in return for the most part.

Date: May 29, 2014 01:04AM

I will have to take a look at the prices next time I go to WFM but I know the few things that I buy are a bit cheaper especially if you figure in any loss that might occur. I have had tons of stuff from WFM that has gone bad because it is already so old when bought. Sometimes it is soft after one day as opposed to the real fresh stuff acquired at the local org. farmers market.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 29, 2014 10:50AM

Raw4ever Wrote:
> Is frozen fruit from the grocery store actually
> raw or is it blanched before being frozen? Does
> anyone know?

Unlike vegetables frozen fruits are almost never blanched.

General rule of thumb - if they are not mushy they have not been blanched.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables