Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
First time raw, food advice please?
Posted by: GlynG ()
Date: May 26, 2014 09:21AM

I'm thinking of trying a raw food diet for a bit (maybe a month), more as a temporary experiment than intending to do it forever. I've met people who say they've never felt better than when eating raw vegan and I want to loose some weight, build muscle and have a strict limitation meaning I give up often slurging on naughty things (booze, chocolate, sugar, ect).

The below are roughly what I'm thinking of eating and I was hoping for advice/feedback from more experiences raw dieters on whether this looks ok or not:

Sprouted oats
A big bag of local organic vegetables, blended up – current winter ones include onions, garlic, leafy greens, root vegetables, fruit, ect
Sprouted lentils , chickpeas and quinoa.
Frozen organic mixed berries
Spices – especially tumeric, ginger, chilli, black pepper.
Raw cacoa beans
Raw milk kefir
Cocount oil and olive oil
Nuts – especially peanuts (since they're cheap), sprouted nuts where easily feasible

Anything I'm importantly missing or should add in for a healthy balanced raw diet? I'm a lifelong vegetarian male, aged 32, a bit depressed and a few minor alegies but generally healthy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First time raw, food advice please?
Date: May 26, 2014 09:45AM

GlynG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm thinking of trying a raw food diet for a bit
> (maybe a month), more as a temporary experiment
> than intending to do it forever.

you may find it very hard going. Why? Because many people who do raw are sold on the dream of raw (the ideal paradise lifestyle), so they are highly motivated and enthusiastic and struggle through those tough times when there is no-one to motivate them. Have you got the keen motivation to last the distance, and will your goals be enough to motivate you?

Do you intend to go 100% raw? If so, you better get prepared because it is not easy for many people. Maybe even start off eating 80% raw (all raw until dinner).

>I've met people
> who say they've never felt better than when eating
> raw vegan and I want to loose some weight, build
> muscle and have a strict limitation meaning I give
> up often slurging on naughty things (booze,
> chocolate, sugar, ect).

Giving up the bad stuff is a great goal to have.

Building muscle can be done via seaweeds, sprouted seeds, soaked nuts, sprouted legumes and sprouted grains AND resistance exercise.

>
> The below are roughly what I'm thinking of eating
> and I was hoping for advice/feedback from more
> experiences raw dieters on whether this looks ok
> or not:
>
> Sprouted oats

Best to take a probiotic and digestive enzyme before having sprouted grains and legumes. Many reasons for this....you need to be able to digest these raw meals, but after a long time of eating cooked and bad foods you likely will experience digestive issues and suffer bloating, gas etc.

> A big bag of local organic vegetables, blended up
> – current winter ones include onions, garlic,
> leafy greens, root vegetables, fruit, ect
> Sprouted lentils , chickpeas and quinoa.
> Frozen organic mixed berries
> Spices – especially tumeric, ginger, chilli,
> black pepper.
> Raw cacoa beans
> Raw milk kefir
> Cocount oil and olive oil
> Nuts – especially peanuts (since they're cheap),
> sprouted nuts where easily feasible
>
> Anything I'm importantly missing or should add in
> for a healthy balanced raw diet?

Add in chlorella and kelp/wakame. These are very important foods for cleansing, digestion and various other things.

.I'm a lifelong
> vegetarian male, aged 32, a bit depressed and a
> few minor alegies but generally healthy.

Also drink lots of clean water and get some indirect sunlight for 20 mins per day if you can.

Being raw vegetarian is hard work.

Best to limit peanuts unless you sprout them because of alfatoxins. I recall they aren't so overall nutritious either. Much better to eat raw soaked almonds, hazelnuts, walnut, brazil and pisatachio to get a good balance of minerals, b vitamins and protein.

Also, for great protein balance and utilisation, look no further than sunflower greens and sprouted sunflower seeds. Do some weights 30 mins before and then eat seaweedsm algaes and sprouted sunflower...BAM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 09:58AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: May 26, 2014 09:50AM

(quoted instead of edited)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2014 09:58AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 26, 2014 03:25PM

Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables. Less root vegetables.

Posted by: GlynG ()
Date: May 27, 2014 11:30AM

For me it's more of an experiment to see how I feel on it and a way to divert my consumption from unhealthy binging. Sure I expect it to be hard, but cold turkey is the way to go, I'm very bad at only having a little bit of something. It's also *really* important for my future to get in better shape at this point in my life for reasons not worth going into here. I plan on keeping eating dried spices, some of which may not strictly be raw, but otherwise I plan completely raw, so 99% ish I guess.

I'm dubious about eating anything from the sea since the ongoing dumping of highly radioactive material from Fukushima that has made the Pacific ocean toxic, but I'll look into the seaweeds and algae you mention. Maybe if there's a source for them for elsewhere in the world I might. I'm not familiar with them, do they offer anything especially different that vegis, lentils, nuts, ect don't though?

I've eaten sprouted lentil and oats already and been fine (not in the same quantities as I would be admitadly). I have a strong stomach. Doesn't drinking raw milk kefir once a day cover the probiotic needs? Or would you suggest something else as well? My ex-housemates used to use asafetida, though I'm not overly familiar with it. Is this the what you mean by a digestive enzyme or something else?

Some root vegetables should be ok blended up raw shouldn't they? I avoid potatoes anyway generally as they're unhealthy, but I'm planning on eating up whatever I get in the veg bag.

I'm currently getting things ready for the Raw... buying more sprouting jars, setting up the veg bag order, ect.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: May 27, 2014 11:38AM

GlynG Wrote:

"I'm dubious about eating anything from the sea since the ongoing dumping of highly radioactive material from Fukushima that has made the Pacific ocean toxic, but I'll look into the seaweeds and algae you mention. Maybe if there's a source for them for elsewhere in the world I might."

Here you go, GlynG...[www.theseaweedman.com]

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: May 27, 2014 04:54PM

There's lots of good advice from others here so I won't say too much but I'll throw my two cents in anyway and I'll keep it short.

1 - make it fun. Explore. Experiment. Broaden your scope. Look for new experiences with foods you've never eaten before.

2 - I really doubt that 1 month is ample time to learn much at all. Twice, I have been raw, fallen off and gotten back on. These weren't easy transitions for me. In fact, I expect a certain degree of hell for the first three weeks or so simply for going to a lower calorie, high fiber diet and my body needs to make adjustments. I don't know your health status but even if you're as healthy as a horse, you can't know much in a month.

As an aside, it amuses me how people abuse their bodies for thirty years and then plan to fix everything in a 3 day fast. Similarly, one month won't tell you much. If you're going to go through the concentrated effort to do this in the first place, commit for a longer time. Trust me, it's absolutely, unequivocally worth it. Word!

RAISE YOUR SIGHTS. SIX MONTHS WILL TELL YOU MORE.

Date: May 27, 2014 09:36PM

GlynG Wrote:

> I'm dubious about eating anything from the sea
> since the ongoing dumping of highly radioactive
> material from Fukushima that has made the Pacific
> ocean toxic, but I'll look into the seaweeds and
> algae you mention. Maybe if there's a source for
> them for elsewhere in the world I might. I'm not
> familiar with them, do they offer anything
> especially different that vegis, lentils, nuts,
> ect don't though?

Seaweeds are such a miracle food that it would take an entire book to explain why every person should be consuming it daily. And yes, they do offer many different things from land foods and are quite indispensible for a person doing your type of diet.

Here is a basic write up l did a while back (see posts 2 @ 3). This is good basic info, yet it is only a fraction of the benefits from seaweeds.
[www.thesproutarian.com]-

Eventhough kelp etc has heavy metals, they also take them out of the body. Certain nutrients in seaweeds break down radiation, and other nutrients digest oxalic acid and also carry indigestable proteins out of the body.

>
> I've eaten sprouted lentil and oats already and
> been fine (not in the same quantities as I would
> be admitadly). I have a strong stomach.

You might also want to read up on the dangers of `lectins', because raw sprouted grains and beans are full of those. There seems to be ways we can get around this problem according to science.

>Doesn't
> drinking raw milk kefir once a day cover the
> probiotic needs?

Hard to say.

>Or would you suggest something
> else as well? My ex-housemates used to use
> asafetida, though I'm not overly familiar with it.
> Is this the what you mean by a digestive enzyme or
> something else?

I would try fermentation of grains, nuts and seeds. Super powerful and health promoting!!! I could take about it all day, it's one of the most powerful health tools.

> I'm currently getting things ready for the Raw...
> buying more sprouting jars,

Great. Are you going to sprout sesame, sunflower etc for a nice filling meaty meal?

Posted by: Diogenez ()
Date: May 28, 2014 10:21AM

[811chat.com]

life vs lifelessness

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: May 28, 2014 12:39PM

Diogenez Wrote:
> [811chat.com]

That's some pretty terrible advice.

Date: May 28, 2014 01:07PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Diogenez Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >
> [811chat.com]
>
>
> That's some pretty terrible advice.

Yep. Terrible.

Date: May 28, 2014 10:17PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Diogenez Wrote:
> -----
> >
> [811chat.com]
>
>
> That's some pretty terrible advice.

Oh yes, that link is very unscientific and misleading because it only gives a partial truth. For eg, the link says sprouts are toxic, BUT, there are things we can do to greatly reduce toxicity. The link also says sprouts are full of indigestable cellulose, but some sprouts have high levels of enzymes called cellulase which helps break down cellulose, and the rest is used as fiber in the intestines which helps with flora.

There is also no mention of the 10 - 100 times the phytochemicals in sprouts over fruits and vegetables, nor any mention of the phytohormones high in sprouts, nor the mention of food enzymes which increase electrical activity to get the cells working efficiently (yes, food enzymes do survive the stomach and have value according to science).

Basically the link above is rabbits play...greatly watered down deluded nonsense because it only covers a partial part of food analysis. It's basic raw food 101 talk that is meanlingless. Why tell 1% of the story (the dumbed down article linked) when we have the information to tell 50% of the story. The natural hygiene movement are well known for their non science approach to eating...they only see things through a narrow viewpoint, hence the article written.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 10:23PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: May 28, 2014 10:35PM

SueZ Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> -----
> > Diogenez Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > >
> >
> [811chat.com]
> >
> >
> > That's some pretty terrible advice.
>
> Yep. Terrible.

Yes, the article is like it was written by a child in 6 grade. It might get a pass for children, but in the adults world it would get an F.

If health gurus are writing articles like that, l say to them, FIND ANOTHER JOB...do something you are good at.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2014 10:36PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 28, 2014 10:50PM

sproutman

how do u get rid of the lectins
is it through fermentation or another way

Date: May 28, 2014 11:00PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> sproutman
>
> how do u get rid of the lectins
> is it through fermentation or another way

Two ways.

1). using sulfated polysachharide sugars in brown sea weeds such as wakame and kelp. Sugars such as mannose, fucose etc will bind with the lectins and carry them out of the body.

2). Fermentation.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: May 29, 2014 12:05AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
>
> 1). using sulfated polysachharide sugars in brown
> sea weeds such as wakame and kelp. Sugars such as
> mannose, fucose etc will bind with the lectins and
> carry them out of the body.

This is one of several reasons I don't wash my seaweeds and don't throw out their soak water. The sugars migrate to the surface and I don't want to throw the babies out with the bath water.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: May 29, 2014 12:32AM

watch out for sprouts. Some people use bleaching powder (calcium hypochlorite) to disinfect them. Some fungus/bacteria are tied to cancer\illness and they can be deadly if you are not careful. They can also become mosquito breading grounds, etc. And they require labor, which may tie you down or prevent you from doing other things in life (time expensive). With the right conditions they have good things but they benefits are hugely overblown. Seek what best suits you without commiting to life slavery.

[www.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 12:38AM by Panchito.

Date: May 29, 2014 12:39AM

"Some people use bleaching powder (calcium hypochlorite) to disinfect them."

That's like saying "watch out for produce, some people spray them with pesticides". Like with anything, you find a high-quality source.

"And they require labor, which may tie you down or prevent you from doing other things (time expensive)."

The pay-off is well worth it and you're getting doses of phytonutrients, enzymes, oxygen, and high-quality amino acids that you will never find in anything you buy from the store (other people's labor). In my opinion, if you truly care about achieving optimal health, you grow your own food, nothing compares.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 12:39AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 29, 2014 12:43AM

sproutairans usually ideologically over blow the benefits of their diets. they spent all that time making theories that don't materialize in real life (but they are time expensive). They deeper they are the more justifications they make. Look for pictures on Google. They don't live longer.

Date: May 29, 2014 12:50AM

Panchito Wrote:
> sproutairans usually ideologically over blow the
> benefits of their diets. they spent all that time
> making theories that don't materialize in real
> life (but they are time expensive). They deeper
> they are the more justifications they make. Look
> for pictures on Google. They don't live longer.

That's a complete fabrication but I'm sure you find comfort in justifying that to yourself because you don't want to put in the work. Who are these people you speak of whom were sproutarians and didn't live a long time? Please tell.

Brian Clement and Steve Meyerowitz are two people who do tons of sprouts/grasses and their juices and both are doing very well. Hippocrates has healed tens of thousands of people and brought them back to life with sprouts/grasses, algae's, and seaweeds. It's time to start looking at real research and stop looking at pictures on Google.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 12:51AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 29, 2014 12:54AM

Oh...Panchito *sigh*

We have strayed so far from growing our own food that we now call growing our food slavery LOL.

Justifications. Haha.

Live longer? Who cares. It's about feeling good and functioning at a high level in every way possible.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: May 29, 2014 12:58AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Who are
> these people you speak of whom were sproutarians

Ann Wigmore? (founder of the Hippocrates Health Institute) 85 yo

take a looki here to see how they look

[www.livingann.com]

Date: May 29, 2014 01:01AM

You do realize that Ann Wigmore died from a fire, right, and her death had nothing to do with her health?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 01:02AM by jtprindl.

Date: May 29, 2014 01:07AM

well, I guess nobody will know how long she would have lived. But they (?) look average to me (as I don't carry their ideological luggage)

Date: May 29, 2014 01:11AM

"But they (?) look average to me (as I don't carry their ideological luggage)"

I don't know what that even means but your posts are increasing in ignorance. Where are all of the Natural Hygiene centenarians, by the way?

Date: May 29, 2014 01:18AM

I've noticed you are quick to call others ignorants. from your point of view, yes, I am an ignorant. And I feel ok with it as I don't seek your approval.

have a good day

Panchito Wrote:

> Some fungus/bacteria are tied to cancer\illness
> and they can be deadly if you are not careful.

That's why we should be including ferments or probiotics to increase the good bacteria in the diet, and the U.T would also help.

If you are on SAD and you eat sprouts and have bad bacteria balance and eat contaminated sprouts you can die, but when you boost the immune system and implement saftey measures it doesn't appear to be a problem.

How man sproutarians have died from contaminated sprouts? No Dr Clement, not sproutman, not Wigmore, not Kulvinskas, not l...not any that l know of. We've all been eating sprouts over many years. See...we can't be so narrow in our analysis...there is alot going on...saftey measures and better immune systems need to be taken into account.

www.thesproutarian.com

Panchito Wrote:
> They can also become mosquito breading grounds,
> etc.

Mosquitos need standing/stagnant water to breed. If you are having that problem with your sprouting - and I assume you did as you have mentioned mosquito problems with sprouting before - you just have to learn how to properly grow sprouts to have a better and more hygienic outcome to your sprouting endeavors. Successful sprouters don't have mosquito breeding problems because they don't have stagnant putrid water standing around.

Date: May 29, 2014 01:24AM

Panchito Wrote:

>
> take a looki here to see how they look
>
> [www.livingann.com]

Kulvinskas is 75, yet he has the face and enthusism of a young man.

Dr Clement looks great too.

Dr Ann has zest, energy and happiness and spirituality. She had the enthusism of a child like l do.

Sproutman is about 75. He looks great!

All four are perfect examples of what can be achieved. It's about creating quality of life and feeling/having the enthusism of a child again. I feel like a 10 year old...i'm happy and excited most of the time.

There is more to the picture than the outside. It's about becoming youthful in spirit and blissful, and hopefully spiritual.

--------

Why was 75 year old Kulvinskas dancing like a youth at his birthday bursting with happiness and zest? Why is he passionate? Why isn't he defensive when DR attacked him? It's the sprouts!

If we can use the most potent plants (sprouts) to meal, why not!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2014 01:29AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: May 29, 2014 01:32AM

Panchito Wrote:
> I've noticed you are quick to call others
> ignorants. from your point of view, yes, I am an
> ignorant. And I feel ok with it as I don't seek
> your approval.
>
> have a good day

Good for you, don't seek anyone's approval except for your own. However, there's a difference between that and arrogance. Many of your posts are in fact very ignorant, it's not an insult, it's the definition of your posts.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables