Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sproutarian foods
Date: June 07, 2014 06:20AM

Vegan diets don’t have to be limited, so what type of foods do sproutarians eat? Here is a list:
1. Fenugreek sprouts
2. Broccoli sprouts
3. Alfalfa sprouts
4. Clover sprouts (currently can’t get them)
5. Pea shoot greens
6. Sunflower greens
7. Chia greens
8. Ryegrass/wheatgrass/barleygrass/oatgrass greens
9. Buckwheat greens
10. Chia seed sprouts
11. Sunflower seed sprouts
12. Sesame seed sprouts (currently can't get them)
13. Poppy seed sprouts - fermented (only partially sprout and used very occasionally because they are given low dose irradiation)
14. Walnut sprouts
15. Almonds
16. Hazel nuts
17. Brazil nuts
18. Wheat sprouts – fermented
19. Quinoa sprouts – sometimes fermented
20. Millet sprouts – fermented
21. Amaranth sprouts
22. Buckwheat groat sprouts
23. Chlorella green algae
24. Spirulina blue-green algae
25. AFA blue-green algae
26. Hydrilla green algae
27. Wakami brown algae
28. Kelp brown algae (both powder and flakes)
29. Nori red algae
30. Dulse purple algae
31. Arami green algae
32. Dandelion weeds
33. Nettle weeds
34. Thistles (various)
35. Cheese weed
36. Various flowers
37. Watermelon

So you can see that there is a large variety of foods to choose from, and many more can easily be added. Funny enough, no vegetables are ever included and fruit is almost non existent.

Had a wonderful milk drink consisting of sprouted fermented quinoa and buckwheat groats last night, it was like a nutty milkshake. A complete delight.

Here are some of todays soaks ready for sprouting: (from left to right) = fenugreek, poppy, sunflower, quinoa (the soapy water is caused through the high levels of phytochemical phenols...forget the exact name right now, it has slipped my mind suddently), buckwheat groats, chia.

The kelp powder is used when l am very busy to save time (for lunch today), and the green stuff in the glass is Hydrilla green algae, and 12 tabs of chlorella before a big bowl of sprouted chia to finish lunch. A small amount of rejuvalic will start the meal.

Around about 100 grams of chia for soaking, but also soaking roughly 150 grams of grain to boost calories along with various other things to boost calories.

Tonight will be a soaking of sunflower (for greens), buckwheat, various peas, ryegrain and lentils (lentils is a good calorie booster and good to have with the grains).
My only supplement is a bacterial form B12. This should also be given to children who are vegans because injections are not said to work for them because they are unable to separate the the injected B12 because it is locked by a form of cyanide that children haven’t developed the ability to break down. Children’s nutrition is often opposite to adults from what l have read in the literature.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 06:21AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sproutarian foods
Date: June 07, 2014 06:56AM

Oh...no probiotics or digestive enzymes currently used, only B12.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: June 07, 2014 10:23AM

"quinoa (the soapy water is caused through the high levels of phytochemical phenols...forget the exact name right now, it has slipped my mind suddently"

Saponins. You really have to wash quinoa well enough for it to no longer foam to remove it's bitter tasting saponins that wreck the quinoa's flavor. I doubt foamy inadequately washed quinoa will ferment at all. Have you noticed this connection in your kitchen?

Be careful of where the washwater is dumped. It kills insects and fish and is not good for birds.

Date: June 07, 2014 10:36AM

I've had really good luck sprouting stuff I've bought in Indian grocery stores. You might want to test the white poppy seeds sold there for sprouting. Even if they are irradiated for OZ export the bulk of those big batches may protect more of them from being killed.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 07, 2014 12:33PM

Were you initially attracted to those foods? (sight wise)

Date: June 07, 2014 12:44PM

temp Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> What do you make of the hydrilla out of interest,
> its one i haven't tried.

Probably because of your climate you are one of the lucky ones who are actually in a position to buy and grow it yourself as it doesn't seem to be banned yet. It can grow 12 inches a day! This would be a great food to grow for the poor...

[www.plantsalive.co.uk]

Date: June 07, 2014 12:49PM

Yes, saponins is the word l was looking for. I'll get back to this thread tomorrow in response to you both Suez and Temp.

Just a quick note, other sprouts l forgot are:

38. Pumpkin seed sprouts
39. Flax seed sprouts
40. Chickpea sprouts

40 different foods to rotate is fantastic. There is no reason to go without.

I reckon hydrilla, chia, kelp, and chlorella are the most important foods of all, and of course the green sprouts. And funny enough, only one of those is fresh, but they nutritionally balance and bring the diet togeather properly....they are the ultimate top up which brings a vegan diet to a much higher level. Any diet would be much poorer without those four foods. Those four foods perform special roles in the diet.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: June 07, 2014 01:16PM

temp Wrote:
>I might look into > whats needed to grow hydrilla if its not much
> hassle, i don't have a great deal of experience
> growing anything other than wheatgrass and some
> sprouts. Fermenting too.

You might want to ring up the vegan society and/or local govt to find where hydrilla grows. It is a very powerful food in so many ways...so much nutritional support for blood sugar, mood and detox.

One of David Wolfe's friends (studied with David, and studied raw food prepartion with Juliano) told me years ago that the Queensland vegan society knows a lot about wild plants growing in various states around Australia, including the wild goji berries. And a farmer told me about local govt knowing about wild plants growing locally also, including goji berries. So there are good sources to tap into for finding various wild plants. It reminds me, l need to ring the local govt to locate the elusive purslane weed.

Suez does have hydrilla, so what do you think of it?

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: June 07, 2014 01:28PM

I don't know anything about ginseng, but l have heard it's not a good idea to consume for most people unless they are old and tired because it can be overstimulating and dangerous. You might want to check out the dangers of ginseng. Just saying.

Posted by: temp ()
Date: June 07, 2014 01:36PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> I don't know anything about ginseng, but l have
> heard it's not a good idea to consume for most
> people unless they are old and tired because it
> can be overstimulating and dangerous. You might
> want to check out the dangers of ginseng. Just
> saying.

Thats mostly false in the regard to being dangerous, although some types of ginseng can be stimulating, one of those is korean red ginseng. As a botanical korean red ginseng has over 3000 research abstracts on its various health benefits from protecting the liver to boosting the immune system. There are many non-stimulating adaptogens though such as schizandra berry, reishi, eleuthero root(siberian ginseng), ashwagandha root and jiaogulan(southern or poor mans ginseng) as its known for example.

Whilst korean red ginseng is one of the few mildly stimulating adaptogenic herbs, it does not rob the bodies true energy reserves in the way a cup of coffee does or other stimulants do. Korean red ginseng like all adaptogenic herbs help to support the adrenal glands and balance endocrine hormones.

Adaptogenic herbs in general are an amazing class of botanicals and provide benefits that no other foods can. Adaptogens normalize the body in times of stress, doesn't matter whether its emotional or physical stressors such as inflammation, they help to maintain homeostasis. Adaptogens have a non-specific normalizing action on the body in general, in which case they can be beneficial for many health conditions from adrenal fatigue to balancing the immune system.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 01:38PM by temp.

Date: June 07, 2014 01:46PM

> One of David Wolfe's friends (studied with David,
> and studied raw food prepartion with Juliano) told
> me years ago that the Queensland vegan society
> knows a lot about wild plants growing in various
> states around Australia, including the wild goji
> berries.

This is the fellow who studied with David Wolfe and Juliano, he is my doctor. He is an M.D, naturopathic doctor, raw food author, meditation teacher, raw food chef, and fasting instructor. He used to 100% raw vegan for a while and has been roughly 80% raw for years. He is very big on green juice fasts, but doesn't know much about the sprouts. He was the man who connected me to my friend and co-owner of thesproutarian.com, which lead me to enlightenment. Meeting Mr Kearns was the best thing ever to happen to me. I feel very lucky to have Mr Green as my M.D, but he still has lots of the typical vegan diet nonsense ideas because of all the books he has read. winking smiley

[www.youtube.com]

Here is the newest sproutarian, Santos. I will be doing weekly radio interviews with him soon on the sprouts and raw vegan diet. He reports that the sprouts have given him a level of consciousness previous unknown, and his grey hair is now going back to it's original black colour. His hair was really grey at one point, but the black is coming through.

A lot of people are getting interested in sproutarianism now. One thing l want to do is do a really long sprout documentary with Santos and a film maker where l post lots of studies on the screen with underlined highlights of many studies and nutrition comparison charts comparing the sproutarian diet to other vegan diets. Currently doing prepartions for it.

Time to get the word out and leave the pseudoscience out of it because people have had enough of the raw food nonsense with nothing to back it up. People have wised up and are sick of being treated like dills with all the rubbish spat out from raw food leaders, so it's time to stick with some facts that we can prove and get some credibility to the movement. There is a big story that needs to be told in a way it has never been told before. It's a very exciting time.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2014 02:00PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: June 07, 2014 01:54PM

For those in the growing zones where hydrilla does not grow wild, like the UK, I would suggest buy it immediately, get it in a proper tank setup, and then start asking questions. Don't think that loophole won't close quickly...

I only took it once to report here on my take on it's quality. As I am always experimenting I am saving the Hydrilla for a later test time so I will be able to figure out what's doing what. It's turn is coming up on my list soon.

Ginseng takes forever to grow and bought stratified roots take a few years in storage before they can be planted according to this site...

[www.hardingsginsengfarm.com]

Date: June 07, 2014 02:18PM

Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella I've had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other pricey ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered form - it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T. a day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.

Date: June 07, 2014 02:21PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella I've
> had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other pricey
> ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered form -
> it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T. a
> day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.

what chlorella brand is this? where would l get it?

Date: June 07, 2014 03:17PM

> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella I've
> > had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other pricey
> > ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered form
> -
> > it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T. a
> > day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.
>
> what chlorella brand is this? where would l get
> it?

[www.pacificbotanicals.com]

Date: June 07, 2014 03:35PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella I've
> had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other pricey
> ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered form -
> it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T. a
> day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.

For those of you who take chlorella in capsules bear in mind that it takes about 5 caps to deliver 1 gram of chlorella just to give you an idea of how much cheaper it is to buy in bulk. And who needs to waste energy digesting the capsules?

Date: June 07, 2014 08:12PM

SueZ Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> -----
> > Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella I've
> > had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other pricey
> > ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered form
> -
> > it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T. a
> > day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.
>
>
> For those of you who take chlorella in capsules
> bear in mind that it takes about 5 caps to deliver
> 1 gram of chlorella just to give you an idea of
> how much cheaper it is to buy in bulk. And who
> needs to waste energy digesting the capsules?

Oops, I made a mistake. A packed and leveled T. of chlorella is 8.1 grams. It costs me 41 cents a day for the equivalent of 4o capsules.

Were I to take an equivalent dose of HHI's tableted chlorella I would have to take 60 tablets a day and it would cost me $3.72 a day for chlorella alone!
So I'm saving over $1,200 a year doing it my way.

Date: June 08, 2014 02:06AM

SueZ Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> -----
> > SueZ Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > Just as an aside I buy the best chlorella
> I've
> > > had, (and yes I've had Sun and the other
> pricey
> > > ones in the past), by the lb. in powdered
> form
> > -
> > > it's a lot cheaper that way, too. I take a T.
> a
> > > day which runs me less than 36 cents a day.
> >
> > what chlorella brand is this? where would l get
> > it?
>
> [www.pacificbotanicals.com]
> ?productid=397&cat=&page=4

Excellent, l will try some. smiling smiley

HHI chlorella also costs a fortune to import it. The issue which concerns me is that Sun Chlorella uses the patented `dyno mill' method to break down the cell walls. Mny companies claim they crack the cell wall, however this claim is dubious because the chlorella still remains largely unabsorbable. I will try it however.

Posted by: Superjuice ()
Date: June 08, 2014 02:35AM

Try this link it is a new product that supposedly they are endorsing at HHI.
[www.spirulinaice.com]

I understand that you would have to import but just to put it out there!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables