Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Science Daily article about "raw, vegetarian diet"
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 07, 2006 05:18PM

Well, whatya know?!

Science daily re "research...shows that lean people on a long-term, low-protein, low-calorie diet ... have lower levels of plasma growth factors and certain hormones linked to cancer risk...The (group) ate a low-protein, low-calorie, raw food vegetarian diet..."

[www.sciencedaily.com]

Maybe the truth *will* out!

What a delight, to think that ever-growing numbers of people will learn about and turn on to the benefits of a raw foods diet.

Joyfully,

Vickey

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Science Daily article about "raw, vegetarian diet"
Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 07, 2006 08:14PM

What a great article. Thank you for that. I enjoyed reading it.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: December 07, 2006 11:30PM

Thanks, interesting stuff smiling smiley

Cheers,
J

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 08, 2006 04:53AM

Thank you for the link. However, the article seemed to initially advocate a raw vegetarian diet, but then started on fish, low fat dairy, beans etc... I am a bit confused about what its ultimately advocating. Maybe its trying to appeal to the masses to make some type of change thats more acceptible? Its interesting, I never knew what was considered an excess intake of protein. I must be over consuming, as I do sometimes eat high protein types of food.

Date: December 08, 2006 05:21AM

Interesting, just shared that with a few people in a chat room I'm in now. smiling smiley

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 08, 2006 10:44AM

Mislu - Like you said it is likely trying to appeal to the masses, you know how people are they will read it and then say "I'm not doing that", if people read it and take the first step then perhaps they will want to progress further. How many people go raw the next day after they first read about it?

Great article though, I found it interesting that the Endurance Runners weighed less than the vegetarians.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:59PM

I guess they've never heard of The China Study in terms of excessive protein! Duh!
We humans are funny creatures. It takes sooooo long for us to incorporate the truth into our thinking. We have to pretty much stumble and fall over it a few times before we can accept it!

Thanks for posting the article, vickey. It's a move in the right direction! I'm looking forward to the day when the masses of people start to acknowledge that we've been duped by the meat and dairy industries (USDA & FDA) concerning the amount of protein that we need. That day will no doubt zoom vegetarianism and veganism ahead at light speed!!!! I hope!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Date: December 08, 2006 03:07PM

Alive, you're absolutely right!

When I read how the researchers managed to segue from "raw, vegetarian diet" to "recommends mostly fish, low-fat dairy products and...red meat." I could see those industrial-academia conflict of interest factors at work!

And "Such a diet would ...reduce the amount of protein we consume to a level closer to the range recommended...also *might* (emphasis mine) result in lower levels of IGF-1." was a "duh". Any decrease would move people lower, but it still wouldn't be enough if they consumed animal products!

I *love* "The China Study", and am thinking about buying a case so I can give a copy to everyone I know & love. Folks who haven't seen it can read the intro for free here:
[www.thechinastudy.com] (If the link doesn't bring up a .pdf file, click on "Excerpts" at the top of the page.)

Still delighted that this small glimpse of a big truth saw the light of day,

Vickey

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2006 09:20PM

I've been posting Luigi Fontana data for years here. Nobody paid attention, though.

It seems to me that most people outright reject any publication in a decent journal or anything from the pen or mind of a first-rate researcher. They have no clue how much support exists for this eating pattern in the conventional papers. They'd rather read some fabulist like David Wolfe for their "information."

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 09, 2006 07:08AM

Vickey,
I never understood how people can be so ignorant about protein. I can recall when I was in my teenage years I strickly avoided beef, lamb, pork. I wasn't a vegetarian during this time period. But VERY quickly I got alot of strange comments, like "you need protein", as if chicken, fish, eggs, cheese didn't have any. Some people even started calling me vegetarian, for avoiding mammals. After awhile I stopped trying to even explain that eating chicken and fish was NOT vegetarian. I wasn't even trying to advocate anything like that, but it sure russled a lot of feathers.

I think I still have some ignorance about protein myself. I tried the raw vegan diet on and off for several months, and usually I could only go for about 2 or 3 weeks at a time. I experienced something which people labled detox, and immediately i figured i was low in some nutrient or another, possibily protein. I still try to keep things raw, but I occationally eat some small chicken cubes in a salad for instance. On a regular basis I drink some raw eggs. But after reading that article I am wondering if I should gradually reduce both habits, and eventually leave them behind me.

I must admit that I do feel a bit uneasy about giving up these ideas about protein. Its only been the prime nutritional focus I have been hearing about all my life. Second to that is calcium, and maybe as a third, vitamin c, and maybe, just maybe fiber might be beneficial. In someways I don't care at all about these nutritional concerns, It kind of takes the fun out of eating food and makes it a chore.

Posted by: Jose ()
Date: December 09, 2006 12:44PM

Hey arugula, I'm paying attention, any interesting ones you would like to post? smiling smiley

Cheers,
Jose

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 09, 2006 01:35PM

recently, here (my dec 02 message)
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Also I have the text of the new Fontana IGF-1 paper, I will send it when I get your email addy.

I have his raw foodist/thin bones paper as well.

You can see excerpts from his CR society talks here:

[video.google.com]

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: December 10, 2006 05:21AM

Mislu,

You might want to check out "Diet For A New America" by John Robbins. It's a powerful piece of work. He spent lots of time making sure his facts were right, because he knew that the meat and dairy industries would come after him with a vengence. The book is divided into three sections. 1. The treatment of animals in our modern factory farming system. 2. The health benefits of a vegan diet. and 3. The environmental impact of our standard American diet. By the time I finished reading this book - it had me! Everywhere I turned the facts were staring me in the face. For me there was nothing else to do but surrender to the truth. I struggled for a short time and then embraced veganism. I've never looked back or regretted it for one minute.

Sometimes we just need a little help, support and encouragement to do what it is that we've wanted to do all along! Good luck on your journey!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables