Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Wheatgrass - a basic nutrition analysis and commentary
Date: July 06, 2014 11:41PM

I have said for quite a while that we don't take wheatgrass for vitamins and minerals, we take it for the special magic that science hasn't been able to discover yet.

Nothing touches the magic of wheatgrass juice of any land food in my experience. A basic analysis of wheatgrass doesn't show it to be anything special, but seasoned wheatgrass users know it is very very special indeed. Why does it put us on a high better than any other food? Is it the high amount of chlorophyll, enzymes, oxygen,phytochemicals, or does it contain a special grass juice factor undiscovered by science?

One thing l do know...wheatgrass juice oxygenates the cells better than any other food, it cleanses the body better than any other food, and it gives an energy and mental high better than any other food.

When we compare various microgreens to the original seeds we know that the phytochemicals measured can increase over 1,000%, but this is only the beginning of the story. What is giving wheatgrass juice the magic???

Below is an extremely rare basic analysis of wheatgrass. We know that other microgreens and foods can blow wheatgrass right out of the water in terms of beta carotene and vitamin E, none-the-less, wheatgrass is a very handy top up of beta carotene and vitamin E, and it is one of the highest sources of vitamin C.

Studies on germination conditions and antioxidant contents of wheat grain

Yang F, Basu TK

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

55 mg of vitamin C per 100 grams
1.6 I.U vitamin E per 100 grams
510 I.U of beta carotene per 100 grams

I never see wheatgrass as a significant contributor to the common vitamin and minerals RDAs...l see it as so much more, for plants are so much more than vitamins and minerals. I see it as: cleansing, oxygenation of cells, phytochemical factory, chlorophyll and a magic grass juice factor (the ultimate X factor in grass).

If anything, l see wheatgrass juice as a top up to RDAs, but it is the most significant icing on the cake to any diet because of an undiscovered X factor that no other foods can rival.

We can also see from a basic analysis of wheat flour that wheatgrass will be high in zinc, selenium, manganese, magnesium, phosphorous, iron and copper.
[nutritiondata.self.com]

Eventhough the mineral content per gram declines with sprouting because of the increase in things such as water, the decline in mineral inhibitors do increase bioavailability of minerals (I'll post another study to confirm this later). But more so, half a cup of wheat seeds (well over 100 g) makes around 100 grams or more of juice, so we can still get good mineral content from the juice because we are consuming well over 100 g of seed in the form of grass, but without the fiber.

Question
Anyone grow wheatgrass?

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/06/2014 11:54PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wheatgrass - a basic nutrition analysis and commentary
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 07, 2014 12:14AM

there are many studies on wheatgrass but none possitive

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: July 07, 2014 12:20AM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> there are many studies on wheatgrass but none
> possitive
>
> [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]
> on%22%5BMeSH%20Terms%5D%20OR%20%22agropyron%22%5BA
> ll%20Fields%5D%20OR%20%22wheatgrass%22%5BAll%20Fie
> lds%5D&cmd=DetailsSearch

I don't know where you are getting that idea from. Looking at the titles of some of those studies links, many don't seem relevant to this discussion. However, having read some of those studies on wheatgrass, they were very positive indeed.

A few days without wheatgrass can be like a day without sunshine. Best to consume it 5 days per week because the alkaloids peak when the nutrition peaks at the jointing stage at around days 7 or 8.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 12:26AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: July 07, 2014 12:25AM

Sure, they are as positive as any other green, but nothing out of the ordinary or that any other green cannot do.

Date: July 07, 2014 12:43AM

Panchito Wrote:
> Sure, they are as positive as any other green, but
> nothing out of the ordinary or that any other
> green cannot do.

I can't agree on that. Why? Because microgreens have great increases in phytochemicals, far more than ordinary vegetable greens, and as the literature says, phytochemicals can be poorly utilised by human bodies, and hence, an increase in phytochmicals can still give us good top ups to make up for the poor bioavailability.

The science on phytochemicals is very very exciting because many protect DNA and induce various enzymatic reactions in the body which improve bodily functions and help fight disease either directly and indirectly. But it is not just that...the seasoned wheatgrass drinkers know it is a very special plant for the reasons previously mentioned. And lets not forget...if you buy those vegetable greens from shops you are going to come across post harvest issues, in other words, suffer a decline in valuable plant nutrition.

I am sure l am still greatly underestimating the grass family. And l do agree with Dr Brian Clement - we can have all the top greens, but it is not complete without the wheatgrass juice. Wheatgrass juices brings the land food based diet to a higher level.

Here is one of my favourite videos ever.

If you don't have wheatgrass, what combination of vegetables will replace it
[www.youtube.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: July 07, 2014 01:13AM

Just harvested another batch smiling smiley I try to have 4-5 ounces of wheatgrass juice around five times per week, along with sunflower green and broccoli sprout juice. I had forgotten about the fenugreek sprout juice so I'm glad you have been mentioning it the past week lol, going to start juicing those now.

I found out a trick with my juicer for getting more yield, normally I don't get too much out of my broccoli sprouts but if I do wheatgrass right after, for some reason the wheatgrass seems to squeeze out about double of what I initially got... and I know it's not just wheatgrass juice because it'll happen after putting only a very small amount in the juicer. The wheatgrass-sunflower green-broccoli sprout juice is a potent combo.

Date: July 07, 2014 01:23AM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> I found out a trick with my juicer for getting
> more yield, normally I don't get too much out of
> my broccoli sprouts but if I do wheatgrass right
> after, for some reason the wheatgrass seems to
> squeeze out about double of what I initially
> got...

That is part of the trick. I always do a grass after the softer greens for that reason.

> The
> wheatgrass-sunflower green-broccoli sprout juice
> is a potent combo.

Yes indeed. It is completely awesome. In time you will really get to enjoy the taste. Really nice strong flavours that will delight the taste buds in time, and super power from such greens when you make the adjustment.

Green veggie juice = not the strong high nutrient flavour...far more watered down in taste = party foods! They also lack the super power of the sprouts and microgreens.

Analogy

Green vegetable juices = little boys with alittle bit of huff and puff...they can barely knock a straw house down.

Sprout juices = the big boys with massive grunt and HUGE amounts of huff and puff....they knock the big steal buildings right down.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 01:27AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: July 07, 2014 02:29AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Just harvested another batch smiling smiley

Jtprindi,

you are very very lucky to have this sprout knowledge, because not many people do. You will have this golden knowledge for life, and will always know the best tools needed to bring forth health and keep it at the highest level. Many folks live in the fruit and vegetable world, the one where they think that these things will bring forth the best healing and health, but they haven't experienced the sprout world, so they will never know the potential that can be reached when the finest foods are consumed. You don't know there is better until you have experienced it. Eg 1...SAD people may feel good, but they would feel better with lots of greens in the diet, but they won't know this until they have experienced it. Eg 2...raw vegans on fruit and veggies feel good, but they would feel better if they added lots of sprouts and wheatgrass juice in, but they won't know this until they have experienced it. l am not the only person saying this.

I really hope you can stick with this diet, because the alternatives are not so pretty. I went down a dark road and l lost my health, and once you lose your health it can be very very difficult to get it back. It has taken me years to claw back my health with monumental effort and eating the finest foods...fruit and vegetables just would never do for the healing l needed. When l first went sproutarian l rose to incredible levels of health very quickly, but the seond time around has been a slow long struggle to zoom to high levels. As l said, once you lose your health it can be very hard to get back.

Even if you went off the diet and got sick...you will always have that special sprout knowledge that will never leave you, and you always know what to do when you are sick and tired of poor health. Hopefully you are wise enough to not stray into temptations of the illusionary material SAD world most live in. It took a downfall for me to gain wisdom and appreciate what l once had, but l hope you are wise enough to stay on the path, for the mainstream world is nothing but a dark tunnel. The mainstream has all the fancy trimmings to make people feel warm and fuzzy, but that is the bait it uses to distract and trap you.

I never worried about my poor health because l always knew l could and would fix it. I always knew l would become full time sproutarian again. The healthy eating was so engrained in my mind that every unhealthy meal l had during my SAD poor health period registered with me. Nearly every cooked meal was met with "you silly boy, you should be eating a big salad with that and eating your meals raw". or "combine your meals properly". or "no fruit after dinner" etc.

I originally hated sprouts and vegetables before originally being raw. But going raw the second time around was easy because l LOVED my greens and raw food. Even when l went back to SAD for a period, l never lost my taste for healthy foods. Going sproutarian the second time around was like getting back on the bike again..it all came naturally to me.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 02:34AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: July 07, 2014 02:34AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:

> Green veggie juice = not the strong high nutrient
> flavour...far more watered down in taste = party
> foods!

You obviously have never have had baby arugula, wild grass, violet leaf, and dandelion juice then.

Date: July 07, 2014 02:56AM

SueZ Wrote:
> The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------

>
> You obviously have never have had baby arugula,
> wild grass, violet leaf, and dandelion juice then.

I have had dandelion weed juice. No comparison to the sprouts. The baby plants are always better.

Wild grass...well, baby wild grasses would always be better. The baby greens are always going to be better for many reasons l have gone into over times past.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: July 07, 2014 03:03AM

To me wild grass juice trumps wheatgrass juice in all respects.

Date: July 07, 2014 03:03AM

"you are very very lucky to have this sprout knowledge, because not many people do. You will have this golden knowledge for life, and will always know the best tools needed to bring forth health and keep it at the highest level. Many folks live in the fruit and vegetable world, the one where they think that these things will bring forth the best healing and health, but they haven't experienced the sprout world, so they will never know the potential that can be reached when the finest foods are consumed."

I'm glad I came to this board because if I hadn't, I probably would've never (or at least so soon) started getting into sprouting. I certainly wouldn't be growing and juicing all of these different kinds of sprouts. Still very much a rookie when it comes to the sprouts but I've learned a lot from you and will only get more knowledgeable as time goes on. I agree that people don't know how good it is until they try it. I can take a bunch of algae and eat all the fruit I want and have zero detox symptoms, but as soon as I consistently have 16 oz. sprout/grass drinks, the cleansing begins. Quality in regards to sprouting your own seeds is also very much noticeable. For example, I could buy sprouted sunflower seeds from the store, but when I sprout my own, not only do they taste much better, but they seem to digest much better. Probably because they're not dehydrated and still in the process of sprouting when I eat them, therefore full of life force.

I didn't really know what I was getting into when I started the sprouts but I had to listen to my intuition, and I'm glad I did. Thank you for introducing me to the power of sprouts and sharing much of your knowledge on the subject smiling smiley

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: July 07, 2014 03:06AM

> but as soon as I consistently have 16 oz. sprout/grass drinks, the cleansing begins

that's not detox, that's tox.

Date: July 07, 2014 03:10AM

fresh Wrote:
> > but as soon as I consistently have 16 oz.
> sprout/grass drinks, the cleansing begins
>
> that's not detox, that's tox.

Yeah, because sunflower greens, wheatgrass, and broccoli sprouts are so toxic... lol. You literally just a few days ago posted on how broccoli sprouts detox the body.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 03:13AM by jtprindl.

Date: July 07, 2014 03:13AM

just playing. but you never know. could be either one. a lot of elements in greens that the body rejects in many ways.

Date: July 07, 2014 03:14AM

jtprindl Wrote:

>
> I'm glad I came to this board because if I hadn't,
> I probably would've never (or at least so soon)
> started getting into sprouting. I certainly
> wouldn't be growing and juicing all of these
> different kinds of sprouts. Still very much a
> rookie when it comes to the sprouts but I've
> learned a lot from you and will only get more
> knowledgeable as time goes on. I agree that people
> don't know how good it is until they try it. I can
> take a bunch of algae and eat all the fruit I want
> and have zero detox symptoms, but as soon as I
> consistently have 16 oz. sprout/grass drinks, the
> cleansing begins. Quality in regards to sprouting
> your own seeds is also very much noticeable. For
> example, I could buy sprouted sunflower seeds from
> the store, but when I sprout my own, not only do
> they taste much better, but they seem to digest
> much better. Probably because they're not
> dehydrated and still in the process of sprouting
> when I eat them, therefore full of life force.
>
> I didn't really know what I was getting into when
> I started the sprouts but I had to listen to my
> intuition, and I'm glad I did. Thank you for
> introducing me to the power of sprouts and sharing
> much of your knowledge on the subject smiling smiley

Yes, the cleansing can take some time. Best to just take it easy. If you have juices l would follow up 30 minutes later with fruit to ease the symptoms.

Yes, various people on and outside of forums enjoyed being raw vegans and got good benefit, but when they became sproutarian they all reported things moving to a whole new level. They never have seen fruits and vegetables in the same light again because they now have the experience with both worlds.

The wheatgrass will always detox noticably more than the other plants.

Sproutarianism takes a while to settle into and learn stuff. Having someone to help you can greatly reduce the learning curve and make one get on top of the lifestyle much faster. It would have been nice to have had someone help me when l started, but l had to learn from trial and error, take years to locate seed sources and eventually go to the internet to seek many answers to the science. All l had to guide me years ago was a few basic books, and no-one l knew was all raw or knew anything about sprouts.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: July 07, 2014 03:51AM

"but l had to learn from trial and error, take years to locate seed sources and eventually go to the internet to seek many answers to the science. All l had to guide me years ago was a few basic books, and no-one l knew was all raw or knew anything about sprouts."

I guess there's a positive and negative from this, negative being you had to do all that obviously but positive being that you gained tons of experience and knowledge along the way.

Date: July 07, 2014 03:53AM

SueZ Wrote:
> To me wild grass juice trumps wheatgrass juice in
> all respects.

If l had my way l would be juicing wild baby amaranth grass. That would shoot down wheatgrass in flames, but the problem is that it is not practical.

I'll get back to this thread later.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: July 07, 2014 04:29AM

"If l had my way l would be juicing wild baby amaranth grass. That would shoot down wheatgrass in flames, but the problem is that it is not practical."

That stuff grows like grass where I live. This is what you're referring to, right? [healthyhomegardening.com]

Why is it so good?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 04:31AM by jtprindl.

Date: July 07, 2014 09:00AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "If l had my way l would be juicing wild baby
> amaranth grass. That would shoot down wheatgrass
> in flames, but the problem is that it is not
> practical."
>
> That stuff grows like grass where I live. This is
> what you're referring to, right?
> [healthyhomegardening.com]
> amaranth_661.jpg
>
> Why is it so good?

One of the most nutritious foods on earth, + it is far less hybridised than wheat, so quite likely to have less indigestable proteins and other rogue substances/toxins. Of course the growing of grass helps reduce toxins and other rogue substances.

Nutrition of wheat v's amaranth - per 100 grams

Wheat = Calcium (3), Iron (25) Magnesium (23), Phos (36), Potassium (12), Zinc (22), Copper (18), Manganese (191)

Check out the rda's for 100 grams of amaranth. WOW. Imagine how great it's grass must be.

Amaranth = Calcium (31), Iron (82), Magnesium (120), Phos (108), Potassium (28), Zinc (37), Copper (51), Manganese (322) - also has very high selenium …Selenium (52)

Wheat = 330
Amaranth = 779 (not including the selenium total).

Figures based on rda from here:
[nutritiondata.self.com]
[nutritiondata.self.com] That stuff grows like grass where I live. This is That stuff grows like grass where I live. This is

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 09:03AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 07, 2014 09:42AM

jt wrote:

<<<I try to have 4-5 ounces of wheatgrass juice around five times per week, along with sunflower green and broccoli sprout juice.>>>

<<<I can take a bunch of algae and eat all the fruit I want and have zero detox symptoms, but as soon as I consistently have 16 oz. sprout/grass drinks, the cleansing begins.>>>

tsm wrote:

<<<The wheatgrass will always detox noticably more than the other plants.>>>

Do you guys realize that you are NOT supposed to mix wheatgrass with other juices and to leave it in your mouth for 2 minutes before you swallow it?

Here is an old Post from Dr. Flora who was Ann Wigmore's assistant for the last 22 years of Ann's life...

Re: Anne Wigmore and food combining
drflora3rd (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
Date: 02-08-02 01:13

She felt that as long as watermelon, papaya or apples were juiced or blended, there was no problem in combining them with greens and other things. Her only "no no" was no almond cream, pine nut or seed cheese, etc. with avocado. I've been doing it for 32 years now with no problems and no deficiency or bloating or energy loss.

And, she was a stickler for ensalavating wheatgrass for a full two minutes before swallowing, chewing vigorously all the while! Every chew provided digestive juices to get it into the bloodstream as quickly as possible. She didn't want anyone to dilute it with anything or mix it with anything and not to use it and eat within an hour. In Boston, I remember a weakened man who had cancer and was being called by his doctor who frantically requested a blood transfusion. We thanked him and kept on giving him wheatgrass juice. Second day call. Third day call, and by then his veins and arteries were showing good color, he had strength and was on the mend. The doctor stopped calling when his patient reported the incredible turnaround. Amazing, what! But, then I don't try to combine the first three with grains (since I don't use them) or root vegetables (since I don't use them). If I did, I'd have problems. What she taught me, works for me. Try it and let me know if it works for you too. Remember, what we were doing initially was for so-called terminally ill people. It worked for them, and it works for me and I'm healthy. I'm also just plain selfish with my body; I have so much to do, I don't want to lose energy or lose time by having to sleep too much after eating unblended food. By the way, thanks for your patience with me until we got through with the grant proposal . I was unable to answer all of your questions except in shifts!
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Date: July 07, 2014 12:56PM

"Do you guys realize that you are NOT supposed to mix wheatgrass with other juices and to leave it in your mouth for 2 minutes before you swallow it?"

You say this as if it is some sort of factual concept when it's simply the belief of one woman. I've never had any problems mixing wheatgrass juice.

Date: July 07, 2014 01:57PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> "Do you guys realize that you are NOT supposed to
> mix wheatgrass with other juices and to leave it
> in your mouth for 2 minutes before you swallow
> it?"
>
> You say this as if it is some sort of factual
> concept when it's simply the belief of one woman.
> I've never had any problems mixing wheatgrass
> juice.

I don't know about wheatgrass but I keep coconut oil in my mouth until it is broken down more. The enzymes that break down coconut oil come from the mouth under the tounge.

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: July 07, 2014 03:09PM

<<<You say this as if it is some sort of factual concept when it's simply the belief of one woman.>>>

Perhaps you missed this part of the Post...

"Dr. Flora who was Ann Wigmore's assistant for the last 22 years of Ann's life"

Dr. Ann Wigmore said it, you know, the woman who wrote the book on Wheatgrass, and she also said that most people confuse Detox/Cleansing with NOT letting the Wheatgrass warm up first and then, dissolve in the mouth…see below.

<<<I've never had any problems mixing wheatgrass juice.>>>

Did I misread this post you wrote?

<<<I can take a bunch of algae and eat all the fruit I want and have zero detox symptoms, but as soon as I consistently have 16 oz. sprout/grass drinks, the cleansing begins.>>>

Does Cleansing not mean Detox or are we using different definitions again?

Here is an older Post of mine that includes some of Dr. Flora's older Posts that I'm sure you can appreciate...

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
According to Dr. Flora...
Author: John Rose (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: 04-24-05 08:24

"...she (Ann Wigmore) was a stickler for ensalavating wheatgrass for a full two minutes before swallowing, chewing vigorously all the while! Every chew provided digestive juices to get it inot the bloodstream as quickly as possible. She didn't want anyone to dilute it with anything or mix it with anything and not to use it and eat within an hour. "

"The maximum benefit of wheatgrass juice is gained when you put a sip in your mouth and chew your jaw up and down for a couple of minutes, as if you were actually chewing, and then it will turn sweet and most of the starches will have been broken down by then, and the vitamins will have been absorbed in the roof of your mouth, and the minerals under your tongue."

"...ensalivate the wheatgrass juice on the order of 2 minutes before you swallow it. Bolting and chugalugging is only for pineapple juice. Wheatgrass needs to be absorbed into your mouth roof and under your tongue. Your gums will be tighter and teeth stronger."
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

Posted by: ramanan ()
Date: July 07, 2014 03:47PM

TSM, In India , we have used arugumbul juice (it's a kind of grass) for centuries even millennium for reducing body heat etc., sure grass has magic which science cannot explain now... same might be applicable for wheat grass juice. Please don't waste your precious time...You are not doing raw nutrition business like others....they need to defend what they do...people will understand once appropriate time/situation come for them.

Date: July 07, 2014 04:13PM

so funny. it doesn't even matter what you eat, but I guess it gives you something to talk about,, to boast about, that your diet is allegedly better.

Posted by: ramanan ()
Date: July 07, 2014 04:28PM

I thank TSM, Suez and Jtp for sharing valuable research and experience in this forum.

TSM, I do see you as a Steve Jobs on raw food world, when he branched out of UNIX operating to form MAC o/s every one made fun out of him...but he succeeded finally.

I am changing my 30 year diet slowly I was hard core fruit and coconut eater, now reducing total no of dates for break fast from 20 to 10 , increasing sprouts intake slowly , started consuming coconut oil etc.,

no diet is perfect...I may not be posting/questioning any more here...I will send out personal messages to TSM, Suez and Jtp, if I have questions

raw food diet not only cleanse a human body it cleanse the mind and even go deep to soul (i observed this with my guru ramakrishnan) but in my three decades i experienced it greatly reduced density of my mind i.e no of thoughts generated by my brain goes down and it increases forgiveness, love, compassion and kindness. I really wonder how people in this forum have such a big EGO and spill it on raw food topic...I guess true raw cleansing hadn't occur at all. Raw Diet should give a great peace of mind if you truly follow.

Date: July 07, 2014 06:41PM

>Raw Diet should give a great peace of mind if you truly follow.

it helps, but if you think it's going to turn someone into an emotionless guru, you are mistaken, that comes from some mental work, and nobody here is perfect, and this talk about "ooh, the fruit people are insulting" is so lame.

how's that for a run-on sentence?

Date: July 07, 2014 07:25PM

"Dr. Ann Wigmore said it, you know, the woman who wrote the book on Wheatgrass, and she also said that most people confuse Detox/Cleansing with NOT letting the Wheatgrass warm up first and then, dissolve in the mouth…see below."

1.) Wheatgrass makes up the minority of most of my sprout-grass drinks, usually about 4 oz. of 12-16 oz, so it's not just wheatgrass detoxing.

2.) How does that make sense? Why would not letting wheatgrass warm up first cause cleansing effects? Yes, she wrote a book on wheatgrass, but how much validity does that statement actually have if it's just her stating something... is there any credible confirmation of this claim?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 07:27PM by jtprindl.

Date: July 07, 2014 10:36PM

John Rose Wrote:

>
> Do you guys realize that you are NOT supposed to
> mix wheatgrass with other juices and to leave it
> in your mouth for 2 minutes before you swallow
> it?

Dr Ann was known to be very stubborn and stuck in her old ways. For a long time she wanted nothing but wheatgrass served at HHI. The staff tried to tell her for years that people couldn't handle having a large glass of wheatgrass juice because most of them got so sick afterwards through detox. Eventually she was persuaded to use buckwheat and sunflower greens in the juices.

Even in Dr Ann's `the wheatgrass book' she recommends various juices along with the wheatgrass. And she says exactly what me and jtprindl do, to juice the other sprouts first and to finish with the wheatgrass.

I used to always juice wheatgrass alone up until about two years ago. To me, mixing the grass with other greens makes a more complete nutritional drink. It might not be so hardcore and cleansing as straight wheatgrass juice, but the combination makes a much more pleasant drink and is practical. When l used to juice wheatgrass on it's own l would use the manual juicer for a session, then later do a session of sprouts in the electric juicer and then do an evening session of juicing...it's too much work, so now l combine the morning session all in one go. The combination of wheatgrass and other sprout juices work fantastic.

Yes, we should swish the juices and chew them for a good while.

>
> Here is an old Post from Dr. Flora who was Ann
> Wigmore's assistant for the last 22 years of Ann's
> life...
>
> Re: Anne Wigmore and food combining
> drflora3rd (---.mia.bellsouth.net)
> Date: 02-08-02 01:13
>
> She felt that as long as watermelon, papaya or
> apples were juiced or blended, there was no
> problem in combining them with greens and other
> things. Her only "no no" was no almond cream,
> pine nut or seed cheese, etc. with avocado. I've
> been doing it for 32 years now with no problems
> and no deficiency or bloating or energy loss.

Interesting. I personally would never do that because l feel the acids in the fruit might ferment the carbs in the greens like Dr Clement says. Dr Ann wasn't known for her strict food combining rules.

>
> And, she was a stickler for ensalavating
> wheatgrass for a full two minutes before
> swallowing, chewing vigorously all the while!
> Every chew provided digestive juices to get it
> into the bloodstream as quickly as possible. She
> didn't want anyone to dilute it with anything or
> mix it with anything and not to use it and eat
> within an hour. In Boston, I remember a weakened
> man who had cancer and was being called by his
> doctor who frantically requested a blood
> transfusion. We thanked him and kept on giving
> him wheatgrass juice. Second day call. Third day
> call, and by then his veins and arteries were
> showing good color, he had strength and was on the
> mend. The doctor stopped calling when his patient
> reported the incredible turnaround. Amazing,
> what! But, then I don't try to combine the first
> three with grains (since I don't use them) or root
> vegetables (since I don't use them). If I did,
> I'd have problems. What she taught me, works for
> me. Try it and let me know if it works for you
> too. Remember, what we were doing initially was
> for so-called terminally ill people. It worked for
> them, and it works for me and I'm healthy. I'm
> also just plain selfish with my body; I have so
> much to do, I don't want to lose energy or lose
> time by having to sleep too much after eating
> unblended food. By the way, thanks for your
> patience with me until we got through with the
> grant proposal . I was unable to answer all of
> your questions except in shifts!
> [www.rawfoodsupport.com]
> &t=51029

Love Dr Ann and Dr Flora. Still, they were stuck in the old ways. Sure...having nothing but wheatgrass juice and then not eating anything for a couple of hours will help bring on the cleansing and healing quicker, but l never recommend that because the last thing we want is people getting too stirred up and sick by eliminating toxins too fast because they risk not sticking to the program. People have to work and go about their lives and don't have time to lay down afterwards to relieve the sick feeling because it is not practical and will risk putting people off from continuing with the practise. Not everyone is a superstar like Dr Ann...we need to tailor a program that mere mortals can do.

Having fruit 30 minutes after wheatgrass juice and other juices works perfect for people living in the real world. The juices are out of the stomach and still have a good cleansing and nourishing effect.

Here is a picture of Dr Flora aged 75. Love the old school Ann Wigmore followers. Wheatgrass juice was the religion, and it still is to this day at HHI. DR Flora grows much of her own food - would do the sprouts and has a vegetable garden full of greens. You wouldn't see Dr Flora buying greens from the shops, she knows the key is to grow your own.
[www.youtube.com]

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2014 10:49PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables