Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dental
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 08, 2006 12:32AM

hi all...

I'm a 57 year old male who just got back from a dental evaluation today. need $$$$ worth of work, and simply put, don't have the money. in my experiments with raw food, I've found I have no pain or discomfort when 100% raw, yet it returns after eating junk/cooked for more than a day or two. so I know it works.

my question is, has anyone else out there healed their dental structure with raw foods? will doing nothing except eating right actually heal, or just hold off the pain/tenderness, keeping it in check? can i reverse the decay process?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dental
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:32AM

You need to fix them, they will not improve on their own.

Date: December 08, 2006 02:16AM

I am 60... and just spent a bunch of $$$ at the dentist.

I have been progressively more raw since embarking on a more raw diet since August. (yeah I still eat some heat... meaning cooked foods)

The last two dental visits have been in the last month and involved crown preps. I have bad teeth. The dentist ( who has been practicing for 40 years and is also a licensed MD, which I think is rather rare) remarked both times that he has never seen gums as tight as mine. They had great difficulty "packing" the gums to accept the mold. Something is obviously strenthening my gum integrity. Also, the hygienist last week only spent 5 minutes cleaning my teeth because, as she put it, there was nothing to remove.

Keep in mind that I have been on a no-fat diet for the last 6-7 years due to my advanced and terminal coronary artery disease. I have been on a healthy diet for those 6-7 years... and that is long time. The raw thing is rather new, although I sincerely think the raw foods are contributing to enhanced dental hygeine.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 08, 2006 04:24AM

Hello Everyone,
I thought I was the only one with questions like this. Standard denistry seems to think that once your teeth and gums go bad, there is little if anything to help them.

About 6 weeks ago I made an emergency visit to the denist because of extreme tooth sensitivity, I also had noticed some small holes in 4 teeth. On one tooth the hole was actually pretty large. I have been doing raw food on and off for several years, but prior to that I had an ultra terrible diet. I think the largest hole developed during this time period, I also get hit in the lower jaw which chipped it.

I asked about natural repair, and the denist rather poo pooed it. Despite that I did some research about the topic. Some raw sites say that a raw foods diet can definately help HAULT tooth decay, gum disease, and related problems. The last site I looked at didn't seem too positive about one type of raw food diet, the fruit only diet, especially when there is alot of acidic and sweet fruits. That was one persons opinion. He also said that many raw foodists, given a little time on the diet heal over cavities, cracks etc. with a thin layer of minerals. He was of the opinion that it would be more likely to see more complete healing on a raw diet PLUS additional practices, perhaps like accupunture, energy work, spiritual healing, supplementation with minerals, and or special trace minerals. Some of the claims where pretty amazing, I hope they are true.

I have been much more consistently raw for the last 6 weeks, and I have added CoQ10, MSM, Bilberry, Klamath lake algae, spirulina. The sensitivity is totally gone, I sometimes even eat grapefruit with no problem at all. Yesterday, I got a tooth cleaning, but the denist didn't notice anything in my teeth. Yesterday was really the first time I really looked at my teeth, and amazingly enough it was hard to tell which teeth had any problem. 3 of the teeth had glazed over enough to make it difficult to see, just an impression is left. The largest hole is still plainly visible, but I estimate is reduced by 1/2 the size.

I have added mung bean sprouts to which i added indium to the initial sprout soak water. The next batch I am going to add some multimineral supplement which contains magnesium, calcium, boron, zinc etc...I am hoping that the sprouts will uptake these minerals and make them more bioactive when I consume them. I am hoping that this will have the results that I want.

There are two other teeth which have old silver filings. The denist says that they need work on. I have about a month before my appointment arrives. I am hoping that I start seeing signs of improvement before then. I really don't enjoy having work done on my teeth, and also more metal in my mouth. I was kind of hoping to remove them some day.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: December 08, 2006 12:49PM

Someone on this board named "GeneticPromise" (I think?) had some success healing teeth related issues, naturally. Do a search by author on this board?

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:16PM

I seem to remember a few months ago a member on here saying that their dentist have remarked that 2 of her teeth were regenerating.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 01:58PM

I have had a bunch of work done too. I have 25 fillings and Im only 24 years old LOL. Pretty bad. But I brush my teeth daily and floss and it doesnt help. This past month Ive been brushing with Pro-namel which is an acid wear toothpaste because now my teeth are showing transparent at the tips because of fruits and coffee. Its frustrating. Im the only one in the family with more than 3 cavities! But my teeth are straight and perfect like a super model. Im hoping my raw diet improves my teeth however I dont think being raw will keep cavities from getting worse nor will it correct them. I would get them fixed and stay away from foods that wreck your teeth.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 08, 2006 02:00PM

Viktoras Kulvinskas talks about some people who have had new sets of teeth come through in his book Survival Into the 21s Century. It's one of those books which has some stuff which can be hard to beleive, but I like the idea that we get our milk teeth and they are replaced with the next set, surely there could be another set come through later in life?

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 02:05PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Viktoras Kulvinskas talks about some people who
> have had new sets of teeth come through in his
> book Survival Into the 21s Century.
>
> Rob

What? I've never heard of such a thing. Also I took a look at what the book is about. Thats quite the stretch to think many people can live to be 200 years old.
Why only 200? LOL.. I don't want to die ='(

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 08, 2006 03:01PM

YES YES YES!!

I found the answer via a google search b/c I too had cavities & wanted to see if there might be some other way b/f going to the dentist.

The answer is so simple you are not even going to believe it - rinse mouth with sea salt water. (b/c salt neutralizes the pH in the mouth)

I'll see if I can find the link... the guy did a really great job going into all the details of both his horrible teeth problems and the simple solution.

The other solution that works is zeolite. (b/c zeolite neutralizes the pH of the entire body, which is why a 100% raw diet also works)

Date: December 08, 2006 05:31PM

Here's the link...

[www.paradisenow.net]

I was very skeptical that it would work - but I figured how hard is it to go home and rinse with saltwater, right? And it worked!

And the zeolite (natural cellular defense) is even more powerful, so that's what I use now, but until I found zeolite, the saltwater was working wonderfully.

Good luck!

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 08, 2006 07:50PM

Electronic tooth regeneration, it's in the experimental stage!
[www.physorg.com]

[www.cbc.ca]

Posted by: ReneeK ()
Date: December 08, 2006 08:32PM

[mizar5.com]

Proud to be a tandem breastfeeding, cosleeping, mei tai wearing, natural/homebirthing, cloth diapering, never spanking, non-circumcising mama to two wonderful little leeches. Baby Boy '04, Baby girl '06. :-)

Posted by: monson ()
Date: December 08, 2006 09:47PM

trinity082482 Wrote:
> Funky Rob Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Viktoras Kulvinskas talks about some people who
> > have had new sets of teeth come through in his
> > book Survival Into the 21s Century.
> >
> > Rob
>
> What? I've never heard of such a thing. Also I
> took a look at what the book is about. Thats quite
> the stretch to think many people can live to be
> 200 years old.
> Why only 200? LOL.. I don't want to die ='(

i knew a guy that took a baseball bat to the mouth and lost his two front teeth.
somehow two more grew back to replace them. he told me that his dentist said that some people just have more "seed" teeth waiting in reserve.

Date: December 09, 2006 06:45AM

Trinity,
Very sweet and also acid fruits are supposed to be really bad for the teeth, especially if its the primary food you eat. I hear wonderful stories about improvements in dental health. After reading some webpages on the subject, some are of the opinion that supplementation with minerals, trace elements and additional therapies to raw food help make improvements happen.

Although some foods can be said to be raw, sometimes its not optimal. My partner spoke to a man who was put on a raw diet for some disease. He said nothing has changed from being on raw for 6 mo. My partner met him at a resturant that featured many raw foods. It turns out that the he ate mostly dried foods, usually raisins, figs, dates etc. Usually soaked in water, mixed in a food processor and then made into pies and dehydrated again. None of it was organic. On occation he would eat some wilted lettuce or an anemic orange. So, yes there almost is some truth to peoples perception that raw foods don't improve their health...but only because its not optimal, and not at its peak. Ideally raw food therapy works best with the highest quality food, organic or wild at its peak.

Date: December 09, 2006 03:59PM

great stuff folks! thanks. I posted this thread for direction and inspiration, and certainly got both.

sunshine 79, I'd like to hear more about your experience. are you all raw?

how bad were your teeth? how are they now? is zeolite available in health food stores?

I'd been 100% raw for two weeks, no condiments, only fat ingested was a little olive oil to go along with carrots, tomatoes, apples, clover sprouts, some cabbage. In the past, going this route would abate my dental discomfort, but this time it didn't slack off, which prompted my $$$$ dental evaluation. i remember also pigging out on dates for a couple of days before the discomfort started.

anyway, an e-friend suggested making leafy greens a three times a day habit.
I was skeptical of instant panaceas, even after various lifetime experiences.
bought a bunch of kale yesterday, and would eat a leaf or two when I was out and about. fairly unpleasant taste, and I remember thinking this is bs.

last night discomfort abated, jaw and teeth felt stronger, more synchronous, even though one tooth would "nudge" me once in a while. I'm well aware of psychosomatic/wishful thinking/self-fulfilling prophecy tendencies. All I know is I wasn't expecting anything, and I've been doing this on/off raw thing for years, and I'm in tune with subtle effects, even on a daily basis.

and then late last night I had a whole wheat, veg pizza, and this morning this one tooth has gone beyond "nudge" to a PUSH. so I'm going to the sea salt rinse, zeolite, and leafy greens to see what happens over a longer period of time...and no dates.

thanks again.

Date: December 09, 2006 04:52PM

wow!

as a middle aged (57) mostly cynical, scratch-my-privates, ex-reporter who said "yeah, right" to the Santa Claus story (at the tender age of...well, probably an hour after the umby cord was snipped), I don't use that word often.

right after my last post, I went to paradisenow.net, as suggested by sunshine79.
this guy/gal has been there, done that, did the research, explored all the "yeah rights."

its all there, folks, re tooth decay and its causes, and how to treat yourself.
one part that really stuck (besides the date in my teeth!) was his saying that you could still have a deep cavity, yet can feel relief/not be bothered by it even after a short time of alternative treatment, because there will be a new-yet-thin layer of tooth enamel grown over it, provided one follows some of the suggestions.

all I can say to the cynics is...get in line. you have nothing to lose by trying this, very little money. I don't know if it will work, yet I'm going to try it and give it a good-faith shot. if it doesn't I can always go back to putting a gun to my dentist' head, and force him to take my $$$$...mucho $$$$.

as I'm typing this, the intracranial grey matter is stewing...let's see...
I'm a video producer, just had a dental eval complete with x-rays. what if I got copies of those x-rays, and did a first person before-and-after gig, after a certain period of time? I'd forego the hidden camera; wouldn't wanna get a shot of my hand on the dental tech's leg. people might misinterpret...

anyway...

p.s. it'd been so long since I'd been in a dentist chair, I didn't know they have tv's on the ceiling now. nice to know my $$$$ (actually I had a coupon!)
is going to pay for our ever-dwindling attention spans.

Date: December 10, 2006 06:56AM

Sunraybling,

If you have a chance to grow and eat some wild food, I think you will find your raw experience will have a quite a bit more 'spark'. If wild things aren't available, grow some heirloom organic stuff. If you don't have the space, time or energy, I hope your local organic food co-op has some heirloom and wild type food, or 'superfoods' to supplement your experience!

Date: December 13, 2006 03:55PM

Sunrayblind, did the sea salt rinse work for you?

And in answer to your questions - 1) I'm not 100% raw - usually 80/90%, but lately less with all the holiday food; and 2) zeolite - as far as I know it's not sold in stores, they have some weird distribution method, I can only find it on the internet - do a google search for zeolite or natural cellular defense & you should get a bunch of sites (I get mine from livesuperfoods.com - very happy with their customer service)

Also, I told my sister about this dental solution & she doesn't believe me - she had to get a root canal a couple years ago and she said the cavity pain would come & go on its own (she's not raw). She attributes my current lack of pain to this.

Sooo... I'll post here if the pain returns & I end up having to go to the dentist. But it's been prob 2 months now & I'm fine.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 13, 2006 04:35PM

sunrayblind Wrote:
> is zeolite available in health food stores?

In the UK, Zeolite is available from Ocean Wave Vibrations - [www.oceanwavevibrations.com]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: December 20, 2006 03:34PM

I wanted to give an update on my dental situation - i.e. having let a cavity progress to the point of pain, which I'm told means I need a root canal.

Yesterday after eating holiday cookies for breakfast at work I felt a twinge of that awful pain - so I took 5 drops of zeolite, then 2 hours later decided to test it out - took another bite of cookie - no pain. However the cookie of course created an acid environment in the mouth, so the zeolite & the cookie were just counteracting each other. I never felt the pain again but after the cookie test I had an "awareness" of the tooth - I didn't have any saltwater handy to rinse with so I put a drop of zeolite right on the tooth, which I've heard you could do - and voila! That sensation was instantly gone. I just felt a little tingle, a good tingle, as the zeolite came in contact with the tooth.

At night before bed I put another drop on just for good measure - feeling fine today!

I'll keep updating here if anything else happens...

I'm hoping that eventually the enamel might re-grow but I don't know if that's possible. I'll look into eating calcium-rich foods.

Posted by: skylite ()
Date: December 22, 2006 10:22AM

Hi Sunray,

I have not been on the forum, for ages, but I have a moment now before winter hols.(FYI, I do 100% for some meals, but often don't manage it especially now it's winter and my vegie box contains has lots of muddy leeks and onions!)

re the teeth. If vegan sensibility will allow you to use bee products, then I'd highly recommend Propolis toothpaste. I get mine from [www.beevitalpropolis.com]

I'm 41 and had perfect teeth till an over zealous dentist got to me at the naive age of 20 and dug a massive hole in a molar with his drill. No idea why. I wasn't having any mercury even in 1985, but had that white filling stuff. Well the white filling has now decomposed to black and is eroding away. What I'm left with is a huge hole which the dentist made. Despite this, the tooth is re-enamelling on the inside, as the filling steadily wears away. There is now just a little bit of blackened filling at the bottom, and I have clean enamel inside a healthy hollow tooth.

I've given up with dentists for the last 7 years, and will try to continue that way.

Anyhow, I too suffer sensitive teeth (but ironically not the hollow one!), and the Propolis toothpaste genuinely 100% works. Try it.

S.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables