Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Newbie has a rice and potato question...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 09, 2006 02:29PM

Hi guys,

Just wanted to introduce myself and say hi!

The reason I am posting this morning is cause I have a question... This is out of the first chapter of Genesis...

29 Then God said, "Look! I have given you every seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all the fruit trees for your food.

So the original intent, the original fuel our body was designed to run on was seed bearing plants and fruit, right?

And I notice that God didn't include stoves or microwaves at that time. So if we further surmise that we were supposed to eat our foods uncooked, then what about rice and potatoes?

Can we assume that rice and potatoes were not designed to be eaten by us? This kind of thinking can be carried over to many other foods and drinks... sooooooo... your thoughts?

Mike...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2006 02:30PM by mikeschn.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Newbie has a rice and potato question...
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 09, 2006 02:38PM

According to the bible, only 100m000 people will go to heaven. But, approximately 100 billion people have ever lived. This means only about 1 in one million people will go to heaven, the other 99,900,000,000 will burn in hell forever. The odds are worse when you consider all the additional people who will eventually exist but haven't been born yet.

Seems kind of mean to me. What kind of a God would do that, make all these people only so that they will suffer for all eternity based on a very brief period of time of their lives. So why are you taking this seriously?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 09, 2006 04:37PM

I agree (it is my personal experience and opinion) that potatoes and rice are not optimal foods for me. LOL. YOUR experiences and opinions are great to guide others.....I would not use the Bible (just my opinion) as your major source of factual data. Ha! ha! PS: I love the Bible & most other religious works.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 09, 2006 05:04PM

First off, get yourself a real bible, none of this New American Standard bible nonsense or whatever that is from. I can barely reconize that as bible quote. Maybe try Young's translation or King James. Not meansion, if you're quoting the bible please include the correct reference (Genisis 29?). Sounds much nicer:

"29 And God saith, `Lo, I have given to you every herb sowing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which [is] the fruit of a tree sowing seed, to you it is for food;

30 and to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the heavens, and to every creeping thing on the earth, in which [is] breath of life, every green herb [is] for food:' and it is so." Genisis 1:29

You should ask God a let us know what he say's about rice and potatoes.

Serious, rice and potatoes where designed? Well, I guess, but they where "designed" by man for man, bred from wild naturally evolved plants (not plants created by other people's invisible friend).

Pastor S.O. Socks!

Date: December 09, 2006 05:34PM

Some people still believe that the bible descended from heaven.
People wrote the bible.
I have used with great success raw sweet potato in some of my smoothies.

Posted by: Pistachio ()
Date: December 09, 2006 05:47PM

mikeschn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

>
> 29 Then God said, "Look! I have given you every
> seed-bearing plant throughout the earth and all
> the fruit trees for your food.
>
> Can we assume that rice and potatoes were not
> designed to be eaten by us? This kind of thinking
> can be carried over to many other foods and
> drinks... sooooooo... your thoughts?

Actually there are people who do eat and juice potatoes as well as people who sprout their rice instead of cooking it.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 09, 2006 06:13PM

I'm Wiccan, I don't believe half the stuff the bible says. I think most of anything written was written by men with their own belief.

Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: December 09, 2006 06:24PM

gawwwwd why is this such a bible thread? LOL.. all I care about is what people really think about potatoes and rice... smiling smiley

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 09, 2006 06:40PM

morrisson66 Wrote:
> all I care about is what people really think about
> potatoes and rice... smiling smiley

Not optimal foods. Foods that can be eaten and taste good without any kind of processing are what I tend to eat.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: December 09, 2006 10:00PM

mikeschn Wrote:
[snip]

> The reason I am posting this morning is cause I
> have a question... This is out of the first
> chapter of Genesis...

The Bible for nutritional advice?

[As an aside: I've never understood those who take the Bible literally or as an instructional manual, simply because the current version must be wildly different from how it started out, given the long span of time and numbers of translations etc.]

> And I notice that God didn't include stoves or
> microwaves at that time.

They had fire and likely had their versions of stoves.

I don't do well on grains, cooked or raw. I make a raw grated sweet potato salad that's pretty good and suits me. And I eat the occasional baked potato with no ill effects.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 10, 2006 12:42AM

In 325 A.D. the Council of Nicea edited the New Testament to conform with Emperor Constantine's wishes and then went on a massive book-burning campaign to get rid of unedited copies of the New Testament.

[members.tripod.com]

Some copies survived, and they are the books the essenes use today. If you read through them you can tell where things have been edited. Here is the complete Gospel of the Holy Twelve, if you read down the index on this page you will see that a LOT of the chapter titles are about Jesus preching about the right way to treat animals, like the excerpt below, which comes right before a more familar passage about "The Good Samaratin". The Emporer Constantine was a meat-eater so he edited this stuff out.

[members.tripod.com]

Lection XXXIV

Love Of Iesus For All Creatures
His Care For A Cat

7. AND as Jesus entered into a certain village he saw a young cat which had none to care for her, and she was hungry and cried unto him, and he took her up, and put her inside his garment, and she lay in his bosom.
8. And when he came into the village he set food and drink before the cat, and she ate and drank, and shewed thanks unto him. And he gave her unto one of his disciples, who was a widow, whose name was Lorenza, and she took care of her.
9. And some of the people said, This man careth for all creatures, are they his brothers and sisters that he should love them ? And he said unto them, Verily these are your fellow creatures of the great Household of God, yea, they are your brethren and sisters, having the same breath of life in the Eternal.
10. And whosoever careth for one of the least of these, and giveth it to eat and drink in its need, the same doeth it unto me, and whoso willingly suffereth one of these to be in want, and defendeth it not when evilly entreated, suffereth the evil as done unto me; for as ye have done in this life, so shall it be done unto you in the life to come.

Lection XXXV

The Good Law
The Good Samaritan
Mary And Martha
On Divine Wisdom

Posted by: alicenubby ()
Date: December 10, 2006 09:40PM

wow.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 12, 2006 12:48AM

Me loves your smilies!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 02:37AM

I want to say this in a nice way, but they ate meat and fish in the Bible and they cooked it, especially at Passover.

Date: December 13, 2006 02:55AM

But that was after "Adam and Eve", wasn't it? Before that "snake incident", humans were completely frugivorous, weren't they?

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 13, 2006 03:08AM

Actually, Gosia, you are completely wrong, previously humans where in truth pastatarians, the other stuff is all lies spread by christians to discredit the one true religion.

To learn more about the truth you should read the following:
[www.venganza.org]

Also, here is another impartial text about the one true god:
[en.wikipedia.org]

Remember, facts have no place in religion.

Love,
Ian.

Date: December 13, 2006 04:37AM

Ehh, I want believe you unless you provide a scientific proof to support your claims! smiling smiley

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 13, 2006 04:55AM

Proof does a way with the need for faith, proof is the enemy of faith!

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 03:39PM

I just love the title of this thread.

Date: December 13, 2006 05:36PM

shep252 Wrote:
> I want to say this in a nice way, but they ate
> meat and fish in the Bible and they cooked it,
> especially at Passover.

I'm more into metaphysics than religion anyday, I'd rather read a book about near-death experiences than religious text.

My point is that the Bible that we have now is edited almost beyond recognition, I can't even say if the best copies that we have are acurate. One thing that I don't get about The Gospel of the Holy Twelve is how they still go fishing, even after the resurection!?! (I can't stand fish, even in my SAD days.)

This is interesting, I just came accross it today.

Epiphanius tells us:
"The Nasaraeans - they were jews by nationality...They acknowledged Moses and believed that he had received laws - not this law, however, but some other. And so, they were jews who kept all the Jewish observances, but they would not offer sacrifice or eat meat. They considered it unlawful to eat meat or make sacrifices with it. They claim that these Books are fictions, and that none of these customs were instituted by the fathers. This was the difference between the Nasaraeans and the others. . . (Panarion 1:18)
[essenes.net]

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: December 13, 2006 06:50PM

Yes. If it can't be enjoyed in it's raw, whole, natural state then it wasn't meant to be consummed by us.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Date: December 13, 2006 07:46PM

rawgosia, yes, I believe they did before the fall.

Tropical, Well, I've read the Bible so many times that I beleive the Bible is true. But I'm not here to debate on whether the Bible is true or not. Anyway, if you are interested in near-death experience stories, I've got one of my own that happened to me years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2006 07:46PM by shep252.

Date: December 13, 2006 10:35PM

I think that the Bible contains some pretty good records of human past.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: December 14, 2006 04:41PM

so does this mean anyone on a raw food diet does not eat rice? cause I have tried soaking it,and nothing happened.. I was gonna post a question about it, but cant seem to figure out how..anyway this was the closest question about rice I could find..is rice out of the question.. or do you warm the water just enough to get the rice to soften, cause I always hear that brown rice is good for you.. especially in my macrobiotic books..

Date: December 14, 2006 05:02PM

[www.rawfoodsupport.com]

This thread had good info on rice keilee.

shep - I never met a rawfooder who had a near death experience before. I know that it is really common for that experience to make people more spiritual. Now were you raw before that happened or did that experience help make you raw, as in, you were exposed to all the love and light while you were over there and when you came back you wanted to eat foods with a higher vibration? Just wondering. Thanks!

Date: December 14, 2006 10:43PM

I know this is totally off topic from talking about potatos and rice. *laughs*

I was 19 when I went through a near-death experience. I am 27 now, and it still seems so real to me. I still think about it time and again to appreciate that I am alive and living and also to know what to look forward to when I die. I am not afraid of dying, that is for sure. Yes, and it did lead me to eat better because I just want to take care of my body and not get sick at my young age. But even more, it led me to live for God because the place I was at was an awesome place, especially after I went through a tunnel to hell really fast and then back up through another tunnel leading up to heaven. I will say that it led me to find out that there is a place to go after you die, actually two places you could go by a person's choices in life. Not to mention that I met Him, and led me to realize who God really is, and that is Jesus. Some people think I'm crazy for talking like this, but in my life it was real and happened. I'm just glad for second chances and some people don't even get those. And yes, there was a lot of love and light! smiling smiley

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: December 15, 2006 03:49PM

Shep - that's a great story! Gave me goosebumps!

Date: December 15, 2006 05:19PM

Thanks for telling us your story shep!! I didn't get goosebumps, I guess that's because I've read dozens of near death experiences that are very similar to yours.

It always makes me joyfull to hear of how wonderful the otherside is, thanks for sharing :-)

Date: December 15, 2006 10:56PM

You're welcome! smiling smiley

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: December 15, 2006 11:51PM

Just because something is old doesn't mean it is inaccurate. Scribes (whose entire job was the copying and preservation of ancient scriptures) were so careful to maintain the letter of the Torah that if they made even the slightest mistake in translation, the entire copy was thrown out. That isn't to say that some very slight mistakes didn't slip in over the centuries, but the discovery of the Dead Sea Scrolls dated to b.c.e. proves the authenticity and accuracy of the Bible. And if in fact our bodies are designed by God, is it not reasonable to try and figure out what diet He intended? And if there is a God that created us, would He not tell us what He designed for us to eat?

People get all off track because so many people twist and misinterpret the Bible. The whole idea of Hell is as conditional as Jericho's destruction. It is a future event which is avoidable by all if they get their lives in order. Would you really want God to give eternal life to an unrepentant Saddam Hussein?

Rice and potatoes are a "Plan B" type food. These are not ideal, not only because they don't fit the raw model, but they also require additional digestive function to break the complex carbs into usable simple carbs, requiring more work and energy to be usable. My experience has been that these are good transition food for people who are not able to handle mass amounts of fruits (or afford it), but again, plan B. Studies on wild chimps show that they only go after starchy roots when fruits are not available.

-Ryan

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables