Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

supermarket apples
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: October 06, 2014 02:08AM

MASTER list of ALL apples: [en.wikipedia.org]

This is the MOTHER of ALL apples: [en.wikipedia.org]

A DNA analysis in 2010[4] confirmed M. sieversii as the progenitor of the cultivated apple.

BEST (nutrition wise) SUPERMARKET APPLES:

braeburn: [en.wikipedia.org]

cortland: [en.wikipedia.org])

discovery: [en.wikipedia.org])

fuji: [en.wikipedia.org])

gala: [en.wikipedia.org])

granny smith: [en.wikipedia.org]

honeycrisp: [en.wikipedia.org]

liberty: [en.wikipedia.org])

melrose: [en.wikipedia.org])

red delicius: [en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 02:18AM by Panchito.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: supermarket apples
Date: October 06, 2014 02:36AM

this is what the first apples (Adam & Eve ?) looked like:

This is what the first apple tree looked like:

Here you can buy the original tree: [www.orangepippintrees.com]

Temperate climates
USDA Zone 4: Yes
USDA Zone 5: Yes
USDA Zone 6: Yes
USDA Zone 7: Yes
Cold hardiness: -30F / -34C

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: October 06, 2014 07:23PM

And GOD SAID ...

... Do not eat it cooked ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2014 07:25PM by CommonSenseRaw.

Date: October 07, 2014 01:24AM

when I started raw, I barely ate apples (didn't like them much). But now I eat apples every day winking smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: October 07, 2014 01:27AM

OMG. you know what is a great variety? Gala. Very flavorful!

Date: October 07, 2014 04:46PM

I like Gala too. I like all even the tart ones. I thing tarty foods are healthy. I actually can feel smarter (sharper and more focused) on foods like bluberries and apples.

Date: October 07, 2014 04:49PM

Panchito Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I like Gala too. I like all even the tart ones. I
> thing tarty foods are healthy. I actually can feel
> smarter (sharper and more focused) on foods like
> bluberries and apples.

That is an interesting observation about how fruit make you feel. I wonder if it's the lower sugar content...

I like Granny Smiths, too. I think they are the best types for making juice with. The tartness really cuts the overly sweet beet and carrot tastes when combined with green apples.

The only types of apples I am not crazy about are the ones with rather mealy textures. I think they are best for pies and I don't know the exact varieties but I like my apples very crisp.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 07, 2014 04:53PM

Apples. When I moved to the rainy cold PNW from sunny Miami, it was really hard. All I had to eat were apples and pears. Thats it here. Imported fruit, well, not the same.
I complained and complained.

But I do like juicing apples with greens.

They are too hard. Crunchy. Not enough sweet.

I am learning.

I HATE MEALY APPLES- banana who.

They grow wild everywhere but those all filled with worms.
But at the organic market they are 4 dollars a lb. Just 6 of them can cost me 10 bucks.

Everyone in my house eats them and we always have a bowl of them. I prefer also ANN WIGMOREs favorite drink apple and avocado blended. I like that.YES, and at the TREE they made that with a drop of peppermint essential oil. They call it wizard mint whip..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 04:55PM by coconutcream.

Date: October 07, 2014 05:14PM

I was gonna mention energy soup, which uses avo + apple + cuke, etc. The apple really makes energy soup. No other sweet thing can duplicate whatever the apple brings to the table.

Yes, welcome to my world (apples and pears locally). But at least you don't have to deal with FL avos anymore--blech. I can't stand them--watery and stringy. The only things worse are Peruvians. Watch out for "deals" on avos if they are from Peru--groteseque to the point where I can barely eat them.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: October 07, 2014 05:56PM

Banana who LIKE LIKE LIKE!!!!

YES!!!

ENERGY SOUP has to have apples in them!!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2014 05:56PM by coconutcream.

Date: October 09, 2014 03:45PM

banana who Wrote:
> Panchito Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I actually can feel
> > smarter (sharper and more focused) on foods like
> > bluberries and apples.
>

> That is an interesting observation about how fruit
> make you feel. I wonder if it's the lower sugar
> content...

bluberries actually reverse brain age in rats. Lots of litterature. The rats had a younger brain after eating bluberries. No need to buy supplements.

[www.lef.org]

the blueberry-fed rats significantly outperformed the other groups. These rats were much better able to walk the length of a narrow rod and balance on an accelerating rotating rod compared to the other groups. This was indeed a stunning finding, as scientists have for some time tended to accept as established fact that age-related neuromotor dysfunction is irreversible. Dr. Joseph’s findings appear to flatly contradict this notion.

rats also demonstrated improved learning and memory skills as they navigated mazes and found—and then remembered—the location of an underwater platform on which they could rest from swimming. When Dr. Joseph and his colleagues examined the brain tissues of these rats in vitro, they found that dopamine levels were much higher than in the brains of rats in the other groups. Dopamine is an essential neurotransmitter that enables smooth, controlled movements as well as efficient memory, attention, and problem-solving function. Dr. Joseph speculated that blueberry extract might also increase brain cell membrane fluidity while reducing levels of inflammatory compounds, thus slowing the brain’s normal aging process.14

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 09, 2014 05:39PM

"No need to buy supplements."

Except for DHA, of course? Lol just kidding smiling smiley

"bluberries actually reverse brain age in rats"

Yes, blueberries are a very good brain food, which could be because they are a rare blue food. Not sure if they truly are a blue food or if they just appear as a blue food, though. David Wolfe went into this in his latest Women's Wellness Conference on how there are only nine true blue pigments found in nature but I didn't pay to see the entire thing. The most powerful one, from my knowledge, is phycocyanin, which is found in AFA blue-green algae and spirulina. I truly believe if all kids in America took 1-2 TBS of AFA, IQ's would rise dramatically and there would be a significant drop in cognitive-related disorders such as ADHD, autism, anxiety, memory problems, etc.

Had a super food blueberry smoothie this morning (chewed it)...

-2 cups of frozen bloobs
-1 young thai coconut (perfect base for smoothies, coconut water + high-water content meat)... coconut water is rich in enzymes, phytochemicals, and electrolytes and the fat content of the meat increases bioavailability of certain phytochemicals)
-Varying amounts of acai, chaga, maca

Blending may not be optimal but the enzymes in the coconut water help with digestion as well as 'chewing' the drink. Also only blend for about 15 seconds in a blender much, much weaker than a Vitamix.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2014 05:42PM by jtprindl.

Date: October 10, 2014 01:08AM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Had a super food blueberry smoothie this morning
> (chewed it)...

Careful, TSM may disown you if you keep preaching high fruit winking smiley

Date: October 10, 2014 04:18AM

I have never heard of the Liberty and Melrose varieties...

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 10, 2014 09:41AM

Lovely, thanks for sharing, Panchito.
smiling smiley

I love making apple pie.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: brome ()
Date: October 10, 2014 05:21PM

The wild apple forests of Kazakhstan, the orgin of the apple:

[www.orionmagazine.org]

[news.bbc.co.uk]

Date: October 10, 2014 06:43PM

banana who Wrote:
> I have never heard of the Liberty and Melrose
> varieties...

GET this book:

[www.amazon.com]

If anybody call her/him-self a raw fooder, needs this. Lots of practical tips on supermarket selection. This is the most practical book for a raw fooder/vegan so far.

Date: October 10, 2014 09:23PM

Panchito Wrote:
> banana who Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I have never heard of the Liberty and Melrose
> > varieties...
>
> GET this book:
>
> [www.amazon.com]
> imum/dp/0316227935
>
> If anybody call her/him-self a raw fooder, needs
> this. Lots of practical tips on supermarket
> selection. This is the most practical book for a
> raw fooder/vegan so far.

Thanks for the tip! Seems to be quite popular and just came out. What I find interesting is that more heirlooms seem to be coming into vogue. For instance, I was able to experience a lemon drop honeydew, which I never had before. I assume it's an heirloom as only the green ones are available in my area. I also had a few orange-flesh honeydews that were divine.

You forgot to mention golden delicious. I just ate a couple today that were soo good. They are not very crisp--hence, are probably used in pies but if they are fresh they are not mealy. Very lovely apple flavor with a bit of tartness.

Date: October 10, 2014 09:43PM

The book is good because it shows a contrast of nutrition between varieties of apples. The golden delicious is not recommended to purchase as it has little benefits when compared to the others. The benefits add up and are noticeable in real life in form of vitality, etc. The book recommends colored fruits as opposed to pale looking. The worse fruits in terms of nutrients are the melons (honeydews). The book also gives you a historical perspective of how varieties came about and how commercial interests shaped the consumer selection in detriment of consumer health. Oportunistic businesses drove the US health landscape by adverstisements, fruit patents, etc. mking people eat/drink junk. Without the historical cameabout, it is hard to tell whats what. It is not a vegan book but it does help a lot and adds that historical/commercial perspective to food that I find interesting.

Date: October 11, 2014 12:37AM

I would have to check that out because they used to say that cukes and mushrooms were not nutritious--same with celery and radishes. Now the mustard oil in the latter is known to be a beneficial phytochemical.

Date: October 11, 2014 06:49PM

imagine going to the supermarket with a magical flashlight. The flashlight is your gained knowledge. I wasn't saying that some fruits are bad but instead that some fruits varietals are better. I fully belief in diversity of foods. But I also recognize that some are better than others. The proof is in the results. There are many things to learn and the knowledge may not come from a dogmatic raw food guru. Live and learn.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: October 13, 2014 12:44PM

I love Red Delicious. We have some local apples similar to Red Delicious, which are actually called "rabbit pout". And I love our local red apples which are crunchy and sweet. We do have local apples that look like the first apples - they are small, irregular, with worm holes, straight from the peasants' garden. I like apples, I used to eat them a lot, but in the past year they made me feel bloated and gave me stomach pain. If I eat only 3 apples in one sitting I feel fine though, the key is not to go beyond that. Actually I've been craving apples recently, here our local apples are in full season in the fruit/veggie market. We have tons of local pears too, different varieties, but I never liked pears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables