Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

excessive weight loss on raw food diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2006 12:48AM

My son recently switched from a vegan diet to raw foods. He claims he feels great and has a lot of energy. He is 6 feet tall and went down to about 125 pounds. Is this typical? He says that he will start putting back the weight at some point, but I'm concerned that he may be putting himself at risk of heart or liver problems if he stays at such a low weight for a long time. Any ideas? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: excessive weight loss on raw food diet
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 13, 2006 07:46AM

I am fairly new to raw food but from the research I have done, That sounds pretty normal. Look at www.rawfitnessbootcamp.com I was just reading an article fruitarian one wrote about this.

*defers to more experienced raw fooders*

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 13, 2006 03:48PM

125 lbs for a guy who is 6ft is too skinny, but it probably is because he is eating healthy. Maybe convince him to eat larger portions to double his calorie intake. Your son weighs less than me lol. im 5'6 and im a girl =P

Date: December 13, 2006 04:00PM

What's the obsession about how much someone weighs...if he feels good and is happy then don't try to fix something that ain't broke especially if you don't know anything about the transitioning process....

I think your making more of a fuss than he is!

juss ma 2 cents!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 15, 2006 08:50PM

The only way to build muscle ( and I am assuming he doesn't want to gain his weight in fat) is to exercise, to put a load on the muscles is that great than its current capacity.

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: December 16, 2006 12:03AM

This idea of losing weight because of detox is mostly BS. You are not getting enough calories. Your son should have transitioned slower. I would measure his calories and see how many he is getting vs. spending per day. If he is not getting enough, I would recommend he back down to 80% raw and eat some concentrated carbs like grains, breads, etc. Maybe add some olive oil or nuts. He'll gain the weight back pretty quick. Then have him transition the breads out for raw fruits gradually over time until he is getting enough calories at 100% raw. I've tried all of this and it works.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: December 19, 2006 05:07AM

The best and most effective way to gain weight is believe it or not to exercise yes run jog swim the more you move the more you will eat.

That will give him the urge to eat the best food source is ripe fruits bananans are number one for gaining weight.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: December 19, 2006 08:11PM

ryandvan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This idea of losing weight because of detox is
> mostly BS. You are not getting enough calories.
> Your son should have transitioned slower. I would
> measure his calories and see how many he is
> getting vs. spending per day. If he is not
> getting enough, I would recommend he back down to
> 80% raw and eat some concentrated carbs like
> grains, breads, etc. Maybe add some olive oil or
> nuts. He'll gain the weight back pretty quick.
> Then have him transition the breads out for raw
> fruits gradually over time until he is getting
> enough calories at 100% raw. I've tried all of
> this and it works.

Umm....... not true.
I went from 138-102 when I went raw, and now I'm back up to 120ish without changing my diet.
My body shape is very different (in a good way) and I am thinner, but not too thin. When I first went raw, I was very, very thin- but I felt good. I just ate what made me feel good (tons of juicy fruit, some greens and seaweeds, and carrots, cucumbers. Once in a while, nutritional yeast, flax, hemp, or sesame seeds.) and I gained healthy weight.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables