Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone tried heart of palm?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 13, 2006 09:05PM

I was just wondering what it tastes like.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone tried heart of palm?
Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 14, 2006 04:39AM

Are you able to find fresh and raw hearts of palm? I've only seen them in a can and cooked.

Posted by: admin ()
Date: December 14, 2006 05:21AM

yumm.. i eat baby coconut palm tree sprouts, fresh and delicious.

Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 14, 2006 05:46AM

>>Are you able to find fresh and raw hearts of palm? I've only seen them in a can and cooked.<<

Nah, I was just reading about foods in Hawaii and thought I would like to try them someday.

However, I did find this company who will ship them to anywhere fresh (I bet it costs a pretty penny though): [www.heartofpalmhawaii.com]

>>yumm.. i eat baby coconut palm tree sprouts, fresh and delicious.<<

that does sound yummy... do you sprout them yourself? got any tips for sprouting a coconut?

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 14, 2006 05:49AM

I've eaten a coconut sprout before. It was spongy, and kind of sweet.

Posted by: ela ()
Date: December 14, 2006 06:38PM

I got to try heart of palm when I was in Hawaii last September. It is a strange thing, because the coconut tree has to die in order for us to eat that part - it is literally the heart of the sprouting palm tree. I can only describe it as being a little bit like artichoke heart, but white and sweeter. It was tasty (but nowhere near as good as coconut sprout that Bryan brings up!

The guy who brought the heart of palm to the party made a point of saying that he'd harvested it from a tree that had fallen naturally - so that's how I learned that the tree has to die for us to get to eat that part. I don't think I'd ever eaten a piece of the inside of a tree before! I guess cinnamon is bark from the outside of a tree...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables