Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tropical and subtropical fruits and human health
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: October 29, 2014 06:48AM

A little bit of science:

"Tropical and subtropical fruits contain a broad range of phytochemicals, which are reported to protect against several chronic diseases viz., cardiovascular diseases and cancer."

from an article published this year in:

Acta Horticulturae
Volume 1024, 12 March 2014, Pages 39-48
Mitra, S.K., Devi, H.L., Debnath, S.
(the full article may be accessed at [www.actahort.org] or your local university library)

Abstract:
"Fruit is a rich natural source of valuable nutritional constituents and calories and thus plays a most significant role in human nutrition. Essential minerals, vitamins, fatty acids and dietary fiber are available in sufficient quantity and quality from fruits. The important vitamins in fruits are ascorbic acid (vitamin C), riboflavin, vitamin A, thiamine, niacin, pyridoxine, folic acid and vitamin E. Calcium, potassium, iron, phosphorus, magnesium are the important minerals available from fruits. However, each kind of fruit is unique in its composition. Banana yields highest calories per unit area and takes least time for digestion. Cashew nut is rich in protein (21.2%) while mango and papaya lead in vitamin A content. Bael fruit is rich in riboflavin while Barbados cherry and aonla are rich in vitamin C. Litchi is rich in calcium. Fruit is unique as a healthy food because it does not contain cholesterol, compared to many forms or sources of food. The amount of quality fiber present in many tropical and sub-tropical fruits is another important constituent. It prevents constipation, reduces cholesterol levels, improves bowel movement, rejuvenates digestive system and hence helps fight obesity, high blood pressure and heart diseases. Fruits are the rich source of natural bioactive substances called "phytochemicals" and "antioxidants" that have the property to prevent oxidative chain reaction by removal of free radicals' intermediates and even being oxidized themselves. Research suggests that phytochemicals, working together with nutrients found in fruits, may help slow the aging process, reduce cell damage, stimulate the immune system and reduce the risk of many diseases. This paper will discuss the health benefits of tropical and sub-tropical fruits."

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tropical and subtropical fruits and human health
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: October 29, 2014 08:51AM

Cool.

I love fruit. Makes me feel fantastic, as long as I don't eat only fruit all the time.

Had a wonderful half jackfruit today, some lilikoi (passion fruit), and a half avocado.

Actually, the jackfruit mother seed originally came from an acai farm in Australia, when it came home with me after a visit there (by mistake of course...). I think it was somewhere near Mission Beach. The seeds in today's fruit are the grandchildren. smiling smiley

Date: October 29, 2014 09:09PM

Lucky you to enjoy jackfruit. Do you mean you planted it? Sounds wonderful.

I live in Tasmania, an island that is certainly not a tropical place. There is a nice range of fruit growing here, but no jackfruit or other lovely tropical fruit. Go further North in Australia and things change.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 29, 2014 10:02PM

Rawgosia, I bet you have fantastic grapes!

Date: October 29, 2014 11:15PM

In my garden, various berries, really delicious (but not in season yet), apricot trees, peach trees, nectarine trees, cherry trees, a walnut tree, plum tree, apple tree, pear trees, fig trees. We do have a vine but has not been producing successfully. We do have a nana tree in the green house too, only leaves we have seen so far, and lots of baby nanas. We do get native hens visiting every day, feeding on the grass and things that my mum is trying to grow... I would love to have a mango tree here, alas...

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: October 30, 2014 06:28AM

Your place sounds delicious rawgosia!!!! You must have worked very hard to make it so. And how convenient with the wild hens!

I love mangos too. They are one of my favorite fruits. We can't grow them here because it's too wet, but soon we will move to a dryer climate and plant at least one mango tree. It will have to be a guerilla tree though (off property) due to lack of room in our new space. Hopefully we'll have fruit!

I looked at some very beautiful pictures of Tasmania. It would be wonderful to hike there!

Date: October 30, 2014 10:54AM

Yes, Tassie (they way Tasmanians call it), has lots of beautiful places to hike and camp, and watch the wildlife and so on. I love falling asleep to the sound of the ocean. I look forward to holidays. Life has been so hectic here.

Planting mango trees is a great plan!
smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 30, 2014 11:27AM

Thank for the info rawgosia it is reassuring that fruit can still play an important even a major role in our diet and health, I was getting alarmed by all of the claims from the oils and fats promoters.

Date: October 31, 2014 10:19AM

You are welcome. I will try to post some more when I get a moment.

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables