Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How is Costco's fresh produce?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 16, 2006 05:34PM

Does anyone here shop at Costco, and if so what is their fresh produce section like?

Is everything packaged in bulk, or is it loose for you to bag?

Do they carry any certified organic produce? How much? Which foods?

Does it seem fresher than the fruits and veggies at the supermarket?

Thanks smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How is Costco's fresh produce?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 16, 2006 07:42PM

The produce is limited...but has a good selection. The food is high-quality....although rarely organic....but that is not an issue for me. Yes, most items are in bulk. And yes, the food is generally of higher quality than the supermarket (depending on YOUR supermarket).

-David Z. Mason

Date: December 16, 2006 10:32PM

Great, thanks David.

Posted by: ColoradoGal ()
Date: December 17, 2006 05:13AM

They have organic mixed salad greens in large containers which is great. Also frozen organic blueberries and mangos, mmmm. Otherwise not too much organic.

Posted by: ColoradoGal ()
Date: December 17, 2006 05:15AM

There may be variations in available produce in your area. Not much here in Colorado.

Date: December 17, 2006 10:00AM

hmmm, maybe since I live in California where most of the large organic farms are, the Costco's here might have more organic produce... i'll have to see. btw, to anyone who shops at Costco (or anywhere for that matter) and prefers organic, you could contact them in some way and tell them so. If enough people ask for organic they would probably meet the demand.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 17, 2006 05:52PM

I havent been to costo in a long time because I only have a membership to sams club. I like costco better, but from my experience they dont have much.

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: December 19, 2006 07:23PM

We have a fairly ggod selection here just north of Atlanta... not a lot of organic, but I wonder how much chemicals are really used in Mango & papaya production?

The greenhouse grown cukes, peppers & tomatoes from Canada are usually pesticide free, though may use inorganic nutrients as soil supplements.

The fruits do seem fresher... I came home with a case of mangoes, papayas, & kiwis this past trip.

Judy

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: December 25, 2006 11:02PM

I do not support Walmart or Sams Club because of all the slave, oh I mean sweat shops that they currently support in China. Check out Walmart, The high cost of low price. You can get a copy for $10 from best buy. You will never look at Sam's club or Walmart the same ever again.

As for Costco,the one in my area has some organics but it's limited.

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: jackie ()
Date: December 26, 2006 12:37AM

I like the seeded grapes, mangoes, red bell peppers, English cukes, avocados, tomatoes, sweet onions (when they have them), kiwis, and large containers of medjool dates; they even had fresh black mission figs this year - I bought a bunch of them. Wowza!

I also like the pears, fuji apples and monster pineapple.

Not crazy about the pale looking romaine, or the bananas that rot instead of ripen, but the organic spring mix is good. Just got to eat it fast, because it doesn't last forever in the fridge.

I get my watercress, bananas and really nice romaine from Super Walmart.

I get nice young fresh spinach, great beet greens with beets attached and kale from Super Target.

Everything is just "super" down here.

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: December 30, 2006 04:37AM

WOOHOO

i am SO happy..... it sounds like jackie and i eat ALMOST the same diet!

and we also shop at most of the same places for teh SAME things LOLOL.....

tiff n twins

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables