Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Protein Shakes/Creatine
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2006 09:36PM

Would it be permissive to drink protein shakes and/or creatine and lift weights while eating raw?
Any information that anyone could give me would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Protein Shakes/Creatine
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 18, 2006 09:43PM

Try making hemp milk, a high protein raw food: soak hemp seeds overnight, blend with water and then strain through a cheesecloth or muslin bag. Blend with banana or dates if you want it sweeter, or make into any kind of smoothie.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: December 19, 2006 01:19AM

Thank you for the tip. However, I still am looking for an answer to the original question. Any help would be great! Thanks!

Posted by: Bikini ()
Date: December 19, 2006 02:04AM

If you are OK eating raw dairy, there is a whey protein powder on the market that is very nearly a "raw" protein powder. Meaning, that they do not heat their temperatures very high in the processing and advertise their product being as close to raw milk as possible. The company is called "Designs for Health".

If you are a raw vegan, I also know of a number of raw vegans who have supplemented their diet with rice protein powder. It's cleaner and less allergenic than soy.

good luck... smiling smiley

i breathe in
i breathe out
peace
love
joy
Bikini

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 19, 2006 02:11AM

per·mis·sive [per-mis-iv] Pronunciation Key –adjective
1. habitually or characteristically accepting or tolerant of something, as social behavior or linguistic usage, that others might disapprove or forbid.
2. granting or denoting permission: a permissive nod.
3. optional.
4. Genetics. (of a cell) permitting replication of a strand of DNA that could be lethal, as a viral segment or mutant gene.

If we use the first definition of permissive, habitually accepting or tolerant of something that others might disapprove, then yes, perhaps eating protein shakes, especially since this is a raw vegan forum, is permissive.

If you feel you need them, then eat them. I don't need them, and I get plenty of protein just eating fruits and salads.

Date: December 19, 2006 03:26AM

I make raw vegan protein shakes with Raw Hemp Protein Powder. I recommend avoiding the protein powders made with whey, rice, soy, or other questionable ingredients.

I am not sure about creatine, I have not read anything about it.

One thing that will help you build muscle is Milk Thistle. It helps you assimilate protein and convert it into muscle.

Date: December 19, 2006 04:13AM

Mike, you are so funny! Is it the case the bodybuilders use milk thistle to create their muscles?

Date: December 19, 2006 05:43AM

Bryan, you should avoid milk thistle because it is a weed.

Milk Thistle stimulates protein synthesis. It is a secret ingredient used to improve your muscle growth.

It is also the number one herb used for improving the health of your liver. The number two herb is dandelion. This is a good herb for people who have damaged their livers.

Mike

Date: December 19, 2006 06:02AM

Mike,

Can you show us some picture of people who have used milk thistle to build muscles? I'd like to see how it works versus the traditional approach of exercise and putting a physical load on muscle greater than their current capacity.

Date: December 19, 2006 06:41AM

Hi Bryan,

I learned this from an interview with Peter Ragnar. Peter is a raw vegan, I think he is over 70 years old. You can see some photo's of him on his website at
[www.RoaringLionPublishing.com]

Ragnar said that milk thistle increases protein synthesis by approx. 15%. He said it is important for raw vegans to eat milk thistle because it will help us build muscle easier when combined with a weight training exercise program.

I am not completely sure how this works. I think the explaination is that our body makes muscle from protein / amino acids. The body makes muscle 15% better when milk thistle is used.

I use milk thistle as an herbal tea.

I also use it in an herbal formula that supports the liver. The formula contains milk thistle, Dandelion Root & Leaf, Burdock Root, and Oregon Grape Root.

Mike

Date: December 19, 2006 07:35AM

Mike,

Have you noticed this 15% improvement in your muscle tone after using the milk thistle tea as a tonic?

Date: December 19, 2006 06:40PM

Yes I have

Date: December 19, 2006 06:54PM

Thanks so much for the info. I am going to look into the thistle and the above-mentioned whey protein right now. Thank you all for your help!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables