Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Is this raw II
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:30AM

Is chocolate okay? I read that above 70% dark is okay.
also: is mustard raw?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Is this raw II
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 20, 2006 12:36AM

I think any store bought chocolate, even 100% dark and vegan, is going to be heat treated. There are a few companys that make raw chocolates, but I think it's best to make your own chocolate. Even making your own, the cacoa bean probably reach temps over 120F during fermentation - so should they still be considered raw? up to you.

Assuming your are not just talking about mustard greens, then I think the answer to your mustard question is "NO".

Ian.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 20, 2006 01:02AM

kthoegersen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is chocolate okay? I read that above 70% dark is okay.

Any chocolate that isn't specifically raw will be cooked. The cacao beans are roasted first. 70% dark chocolate is better than most store bought chocolate, if it's 70% chocolate there is less room for sugar or low quality fats!

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 09:14PM

dark chocolate is good for you but its not raw. and mustard isnt raw either and its too bad because I love mustard and it would compliment a raw sandwich really well =)

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 20, 2006 10:16PM

Do condiments really count though? I mean come on, a little shmear of mustard?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2006 10:17PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 20, 2006 10:52PM

Raw cacao seems to be quite popular recently. I have this in my freezer:
[www.sunfood.com]

Posted by: ela ()
Date: December 22, 2006 03:16PM

You can make your own raw mustard! You can buy mustard seeds, grind them in a coffee grinder and mix with whatever (I'm guessing olive oil, lemon, honey). I had some homemade raw honey mustard, though, when I was in Hawaii, for the first time in four years as a rawfooder (I occasionally ate mustard before raw) and I noticed that it was _really_ hard on my stomach. It tasted good in an addictive sort of way, but it really felt bad. I'm sure the olive oil didn't help but the mustard definitely had an abrasive, irritating quality all of its own.

Posted by: thehulaqueen ()
Date: December 22, 2006 09:28PM

For making hot mustard add a little water to the ground mustard then let soak a bit before adding the other ingredients. It really brings out the heat.

Raw chocolate is actually not fermented. The good stuff anyhow. You can taste the difference. I was at the place in Indonesia it comes from this year and got to sample unfermented vs fermented. The unfermented had quite a bit (that I associate to raw chocolate) the fermented did not.

Cheers,
Sheryl

Raw Food Holiday Celebration Guide with full colour photos, shopping lists and menu plans:
www.RawFoodCelebrations.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2006 09:31PM by thehulaqueen.

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 22, 2006 10:14PM

Hi thehulaqueen,

Can you share some more info and references about raw chocolate, please? I've found all of the raw chocolate I buy has been fermented, where do you get unfermented raw chocolate? Also what did the unfermented chocolate have "quite a bit" of that the fermented did not (did you miss a word in there somewhere?)?

Thanks,
Ian.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables