Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
can raw foods heal my mental illness?
Posted by: rasIndi ()
Date: January 20, 2015 01:10PM

Hi there,

I am new to this forum. I am not a raw foodist, but I am a vegetarian 6 months now.

I have been hospitalized 3 times in the mental institution with psychosis. I am now taking antipsychotic medication and have been taking it for almost 7 years.

I have heard so many things about raw food, and I am wondering, can a raw food diet help I get off meds and live healthy?
Have you heard of raw food helping others with mental history?

Thank you in anticipation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 01:21PM by rasIndi.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: can raw foods heal my mental illness?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 20, 2015 03:13PM

Hi rasIndi, sorry to hear of your issues.

I can only speak from my own experience: while I have never suffered from psychosis, I can definitely say that raw foods have helped my mental/emotional health enormously. The difference in how I feel on raw foods is astounding compared to how I used to feel on a 'standard' diet. I think it has a lot to do with the elimination of processed foods from the diet. You really cannot underestimate the problems these foods can cause to our emotional health.

Also I feel that a good source of live probiotics from traditional foods (kefir, sauerkraut etc) is extremely helpful. This article explains a bit more: [www.theverge.com]

Best of luck in your journey.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 20, 2015 03:30PM

<<<I have been hospitalized 3 times in the mental institution with psychosis. ...I have heard so many things about raw food, and I am wondering, can a raw food diet help I get off meds and live healthy?
Have you heard of raw food helping others with mental history?>>>

Yes, Raw Food is a HUGE Piece of the Puzzle, but it is NOT a panacea because there are other Pieces to the Puzzle meaning that there are other needs we must satisfy in addition to eating our Species Specific Diet.

For psychosis, I would pay special attention to your thyroid and especially your colon because when you cleanse your colon, you will cleanse your thyroid and your blood and your blood feeds your brain. I'll include my File Previews from 2 of my related files in my next post and take note that there is a "connection between bowel toxins and psychosis" and there is a "link between hyperthyroidism and psychosis"!

Here are a couple of snippets from my File Previews about the bowel toxins and hyperthyroidism...

• Eleven different research laboratories on bowel toxins have reported that schizophrenics have five times more 6-hydroxyskatole in their urine than normal people (a skatole breakdown product from bacterial putrefaction). These findings correlate with the findings of Russian researchers, who, according to Dr. Allen Cott in Fasting as a Way of Life, have had excellent success using water fasts to cure 65% of the so-called “incurable schizophrenics.” It is interesting to note that one of the main causes of relapse for these “incurables” was a return to high-protein, flesh food intake, which is a diet that stimulates bacterial putrefaction and intestinal toxemia.
Intestinal toxemia not only has been associated with severe mental symptoms such as psychosis, but with a variety of mental imbalances.

• Patients with elevated thyroid levels frequently suffer from psychological symptoms, and occasionally psychiatric symptoms predominate. And on occasion these patients can present with an acute psychosis. While myxedema madness has long been described as occurring in severe hypothyroidism, most medical texts fail to mention the link between hyperthyroidism and psychosis even though von Basedow first described a patient with exophthalmic goiter and a psychotic illness, probably mania, more than 150 years ago. And many similar case reports have been published since then.

Date: January 20, 2015 03:32PM

Here is my File Preview from my file on Mental Illness...

…File Preview…
• Dr. Herbert Shelton, who supervised over 50,000 fasts, wrote, "The mentally unstable people of today are the products of a mode of nutrition, a way of life, and a plan of treatment and prevention that undermines biological and physiological integrity. ...Man tends to abstain from food when under great emotional distress, and rejection of food is frequent among the insane. ...Insanity is frequently overcome while fasting, and practically all cases are improved by the fast. ...Many fasting patients have lost their abnormal mental conditions while fasting. ...All who have extended experience with fasting have seen cases of insanity recover health while on the fast and many others make great improvements while fasting. ...Fasting is a great preparation. When at the beginning of his ministry, Jesus underwent a forty-day fast. He carried out a program that was common in the ancient world. Before a young man could enter upon the study of philosophy, before he could enter the priesthood, etc., he had to undergo a preparatory fast." -Herbert Shelton
• How many mental illnesses are there?
• The DSM-IV, the U.S. standard reference for psychiatry, includes over 300 different manifestations of mental illness.
• Dr. Oz on Oprah
• “The small bowel is a critically important part of the body, it is the most similar to our brain of any other organ.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah
• “If your bowel is not happy, those same chemicals influence your brain.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah
• “If your bowel is not happy, your brain isn’t either... because the chemicals are the same.” -Dr. Oz on Oprah
• “The colon is the mirror of the mind. If the mind is tight, so is the colon.” -Dr. Alan Cott
• "I have now seen severe and chronic schizophrenics who had not responded to any previous treatment, including megavitamins, drugs, and electroconvulsive treatment, recover after a supervised fast." Abram Hoffer
• Re: MENTAL ILLNESS + RAW FOODS
• There has been a lot of promising work done in this area with raw food and fasting. Keep in mind that our brain is feed by our blood and our blood is feed by our colon and our colons are full of uneliminated waste matter. Here is what some have to say about mental illness based on their experiences:
• Dr. Herbert Shelton, who supervised over 40,000 fasts, wrote, "The mentally unstable people of today are the products of a mode of nutrition, a way of life, and a plan of treatment and prevention that undermines biological and physiological integrity...Man tends to abstain from food when under great emotional distress, and rejection of food is frequent among the insane...Insanity is frequently overcome while fasting, and practically all cases are improved by the fast...Many fasting patients have lost their abnormal mental conditions while fasting...All who have extended experience with fasting have seen cases of insanity recover health while on the fast and many others make great improvements while fasting...Fasting is a great preparation. When at the beginning of his ministry, Jesus underwent a forty-day fast. He carried out a program that was common in the ancient world. Before a young man could enter upon the study of philosophy, before he could enter the priesthood, etc., he had to undergo a preparatory fast."
• Re: Bipolar disorders?
• In ten years running a health retreat I had many success stories revolving around raw foods and bipolar disorder, and no unsuccessful ones.
• The colon is the mirror of the mind. If the mind is tight, so is the colon.
• Dr. Alan Cott cites the work of Dr. Nicolayev of Moscow, who has fasted more than 10,000 mentally ill patients, reports unusually encouraging results with them who had failed to improve on all other treatment programs. Sixty-five percent of the patients who experienced fasting therapy go on to achieve sufficient improvement to live and function outside of the hospital. The fast lasts about a month. It is terminated when appetite returns, breath is fresh, the tongue becomes clear, and symptoms are alleviated --- signs that a fast of any length should be broken. After breaking the fast, the patient stays in the hospital an additional number of days equal to the length of the fast. Refeeding begins with a salt free diet of fruit, vegetables, and some form of acidulated milk. The quantities of food are gradually increased. Meat, eggs, and fish are excluded. Bread is not offered until the sixth or seventh day. Half of his patients who were examined after a period of six years had maintained their improved condition. Relapses occurred among those who added animal protein.
• The manic phase of manic depressive illness can be brought under control in the first week of a fast. Cott made them exercise by taking long walks. They drank two quarts of water every day as a minimum. If a patient failed to drink this amount, he terminated the fast. Daily cleansing enema and showers or baths were imperative. By the end of the first week, the medicines they had been on were usually discontinued. Smoking was forbidden. Most tolerated the fast but complications occurred during the recovery period usually from overeating when protein was introduced into the diet. In some the protein addition produced a period of excitation, tension, or sleeplessness.
• The fasting insures the digestive tract will be able to rest. The acidosis induced by fasting probably plays an important role in neutralizing some of the toxins that may have contributed to the schizophrenic condition. Schizophrenics have a higher protein level than others. The fasting mobilizes the proteins in the body. After the fast, the protein level is within normal levels.
• Fasting as a Way of Life, Alan Cott, M.D.
• "I have now seen severe and chronic schizophrenics who had not responded to any previous treatment, including megavitamins, drugs, and electroconvulsive treatment, recover after a supervised fast." Abram Hoffer
• Re: what kind of vitamin B?
• B12 deficiency is associated with obsessive-compulsive disorders. Low folate may be found in depression. Folate deficiency and low thyroid is associated with psychiatric illness. Low B6 common in depressed people. B6 therapy raises level of the mood-lifting neurotransmitter serotonin. B6 may reverse the effects of toxic substances associated with hyperactivity and aggressive behavior.’
• Schizophrenia: There is no evidence schizophrenia is caused by a deficiency of any modern drug. It is caused by three basic factors: genetic, psychosocial, and biophysical.
• But studies showed that twin pairs always had a concordance rate higher than non-identical twins, even when separated and reared in different families. Psychosocial factors generate stress that in a vulnerable individual can aggravate the disease. A gene is a portion of the chromosome which given the correct biochemical environment will do its job. The body contains genes that help make vitamin B3 from tryptophan, but if there is a deficiency of tryptophan it can not do its job so causes pellagra, one of the schizophrenic syndromes. If we remain on a diet of foods to which our bodies had been adapted over tens of thousands of years, schizophrenia would be very rare. It was not described medically until after 1800, but has become increasingly prevalent since then. 1) Need for more vitamins, B3, B6, Folic acid, B12, vitamin C; 2) Need for more zinc. 3) Allergies: foods, additives, smoking, 4) Hallucinogens like LSD, mushrooms, etc. 5) Infections: syphilis, bacterial infections. Dr. Abram Hoffer.
• “Remember, the quality of our physiology affects our perceptions and behaviors. We see more evidence every day that the American diet of junk food, fast food, and additives and chemicals is causing “trapped” wastes in the body, and those wastes alter the level of oxygenation and electric energy of the body, contributing to everything from cancer to crime. One of the most horrifying things I ever read was the diet of a chronic juvenile delinquent, recounted by Alexander Schauss in his Diet, Crime and Delinquency.” -Anthony Robbins, “Unlimited Power” pp. 188-189
• Caution Urged on Anti-Psychotic Drugs

• Conditions Benefited by Fasting
• Some illnesses commonly benefited by fasting include heart disease, hypertension, arthritis, allergies, inflammatory diseases, psychological problems, and headaches.
• In the field of psychiatry, Professor Serge Nikoliav of the Moscow Psychiatric Institute, used fasting to treat six thousand patients for chronic refractory schizophrenia (a recurring mental disorder characterized by gross distortions of reality, which is resistant to treatment) who had not responded to the more usual types of psychiatric therapy. These patients were placed on water fasts, lasting from twenty-five to thirty days, and also engaged in aerobic exercise in the form of long periods of daily walking. Dr. Nikoliav's treatment of these cases shows a very high success rate.1
• FASTING CENTER INTERNATIONAL
• Part of the heightened clarity of consciousness which scientific fasters experience results from fasting's rejuvenating, regenerating, normalizing and stabilizing effect on all the most vital physiological, nervous and mental functions. As early as 1972, Dr. Yuri Nikolayev, director of the fasting unit of the Moscow Psychiatric Institute, reported on the use of scientific, therapeutic fasting to successfully treat over 7000 patients, all suffering from neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and various neuroses, concluding: "The hunger treatment [as Soviet psychiatrists term fasting] gives the entire nervous system and the brain a rest. The body is also cleansed of poisons, and the tissues and the various glands are renovated. Resting of the brain forms the basis for the treatment of various neuropsychiatric disorders. Treatment through fasting is an internal operation, without a scalpel."
• Throughout the past 50 years in Russia, therapeutic fasting has been found to be the most efficacious treatment for schizophrenia. As Allan Cott, M.D., noted in Fasting: The Ultimate Diet, on pp. 34-35: "Seventy percent of those treated by fasting improved so remarkably that they were able to resume an active life." About Doctor Nikolayev, who now has over 30 years' experience fasting over 10,000 patients, fellow psychiatrist Doctor Cott writes, p. 34: "An epochal breakthrough in the treatment of schizophrenia came when Doctor Nikolayev discovered that his patients responded to fasting treatment after all other forms of therapy had failed."
• Many FCI clients arrive each year suffering from various levels of depression--some already on anti-depressant drugs, wanting to get off them, but all wondering how therapeutic fasting will affect this aspect of their body-mind-spirit healing. In his scientific 1995 book, Fasting And Eating For Health, Joel Fuhrman, M.D., notes, page 19: "Fasting has been repeatedly observed to alleviate neuroses, anxiety and depression. (Yashiro, N., "Clinico-Psychological & Pathophysiological Studies On Fasting Therapy," The Sapporo Medical Journal/Japan, 1986; 55(2): 125-136.) It appears from these studies that fasting improves our ability to adapt to frustration and external stress. One Japanese clinic fasted 382 patients with psychosomatic disease, with a success rate of 87%."
• Neither depression nor institutionalization are necessary to gain fasting's mental benefits, of course, as UCLA research associate Dr. Amy Mathews attests: "I had absolutely lost all hope of losing weight, especially in my thighs, when I decided to try fasting. On a 40-day FCI Program, I lost 26 lbs.; had more energy than usual; was never hungry; slept very well; felt extremely upbeat; was always calm and exceptionally relaxed, even in very stressful situations; often experienced unusual perception and mental clarity concerning my life's situations and problems, and felt quite peaceful. This is one of the best things I've ever done for myself--not only physically rewarding, but also mentally and spiritually, as well."
• Adolescence and psychosis

• Subject: Hormone Induced Paranoid Psychosis

• Factors predictive of corticosteroid psychosis in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus.

• Understanding Psychosis

• Green Tea, Fluoride, and the Thyroid

• The effects of fluoride on the thyroid gland have been studied so extensively, that it baffles the mind how experts on thyroid disease from Harvard or the University of Toronto can claim that fluorides do not affect thyroid gland function, especially when it has been used as medication to do just that! (76)

• Behaviour disorders have been associated with thyroid function for over 100 years.
• In 1997 Aronson and Dodman wrote, "the hypothyroid human patient has been reported to show a wider range of behavioral symptoms. Particularly in the early stages of the disease reduced cognitive function and concentration together with impaired short-term memory may be confused with attention deficit-hyperactivity disorder, and in one study 66% of patients diagnosed with ADBD were found to be hypothyroid.
• Supplementing their thyroid levels was largely curative. Visual and auditory hallucinations may result from altered perception and have been misdiagnosed as schizophrenia or psychosis. Other behavioral symptoms have included fear - ranging from mild anxiety to frank paranoia, mood swings and aggression."(98)
• Many psychoactive drugs including Prozac, Paxil and Luvox (Littleton) are fluorinated medications. Rohypnol, the infamous date-rape drug, is fluorinated Valium, which is about 20-30 times more potent than Valium alone. In essence, these drugs effect enzyme functions in certain areas of the brain to achieve the desired effect.(99)
• Thyroid hormone disorders may induce almost any psychiatric symptom or syndrome, including rage.
• "An intimate association between disturbances of thyroid hormone homeostasis and behavior has been recognized for a long time already: Hyper- and hypothyroidism can induce disturbances of mood and intellectual function (in severe cases even psychosis can be mimicked). Reciprocally many psychiatric disturbances, such as major depression and manic depressive disease have associated with them disturbances of peripheral thyroid hormone metabolism."

• Meanwhile, "iodine deficiency" is now recognized as the most common cause of preventable brain damage and mental disability in the world today. It affects the brain development of the fetus. All thyroid disorders, including hypothyroidism, can develop already in the fetus.
• Another thyroid/fluoride connection can be seen in Jennifer Luke's data (123) which has shown that fluoride accumulates in the pineal gland and inhibits its production of melatonin. Luke showed in test animals that this inhibition causes an earlier onset of sexual maturity, an effect already reported in humans as well in 1956, as part of the Kingston/Newburgh study. In fluoridated Newburgh, young girls experienced earlier onset of menstruation than girls in non-fluoridated Kingston (124).
• [Insert: “Children suffering from some kinds of depression have been found to have lower levels of melatonin, and traumatic events early in life may cause low melatonin levels.” Gabriel Cousens, M.D. “Depression-Free for Life” p. 52]
• [Insert: Thyroid Depression: A Hidden Epidemic? p. 69
• “Thyroid hormones’ effects on mind and mood are also substantial. Brain cells that produce depression-busting neurotransmitters can be inhibited by lack of thyroid hormones. Thyroid hormones affect blood glucose levels and the release of stress hormones, both of which can have myriad mood-related effects.” p. 70
• “Depression in particular is a common symptom of a thyroid imbalance. People suffering from thyroid ailments may also experience apathy, reduced initiative, social withdrawal, and impaired memory. They may experience major disruptions in energy, immunity, sleeping, mood, and attitude. One of the reasons hypothyroidism is often underdiagnosed is that doctors and patients are constantly addressing the fatigue or the recurrent infections as separate problems without realizing that the underlying condition is a thyroid imbalance.” Gabriel Cousens, M.D. “Depression-Free for Life” p. 71]

• Psychosis in Hyperthyroidism
• Psychosis refers to a serious mental disorder characterized by defective or lost contact with reality, often with hallucinations or delusions. Toxic psychosis refers to a condition of affective psychosis simultaneously occurring in patients with newly diagnosed hyperthyroidism.
• Patients with elevated thyroid levels frequently suffer from psychological symptoms, and occasionally psychiatric symptoms predominate. And on occasion these patients can present with an acute psychosis. While myxedema madness has long been described as occurring in severe hypothyroidism, most medical texts fail to mention the link between hyperthyroidism and psychosis even though von Basedow first described a patient with exophthalmic goiter and a psychotic illness, probably mania, more than 150 years ago. And many similar case reports have been published since then.
• In one study of 18 cases described in the European Journal of Endocrinology, the younger patients had Graves’ disease and the older patients had toxic multinodular goiter. None of the patients had a previous history of hyperthyroidism although four of the patients had required psychiatric inpatient care many years earlier. Two of the patients did not develop symptoms of psychosis until they began treatment for hyperthyroidism. The onset of psychosis in these cases was associated with the sudden change from high to low thyroid hormone levels.

• Psychological symptoms may not occur until treatment results in permanent hypothyroidism, especially when levels are poorly controlled after RAI or surgery. One article from Thyroid Australia LTD describes psychosis occurring in a hypothyroid patient who was abruptly taken off thyroid replacement hormone in preparation for a thyroid scan. This patient became hypothryoid after thyroidectomy surgery for thyroid cancer.
• Bush plans to screen whole US population for mental illness

• Schizophrenia Drug Maker Clarifies Risks

• Americans Sad About 3 Days a Month

• Gene Blocker Turns Monkeys Into Workaholics

• SCI AND THE HUNGER STRIKERS EXTRACT CONFESSION FROM APA THAT THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A PSYCHIATRIC DISEASE/CHEMICAL IMBALANCE
• AMERICAN PSYCHIATRIC ASSOCIATION STATEMENT ON DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT OF MENTAL DISORDERS

• Anxiety over antidepressants

• Alliance for Human Research Protection

• Antidepressant Use in Children Soars Despite Efficacy Doubts

• Gray Matters: Neuroethics

• Paxil (paroxetine and related) - Rxboard Allure of aging A.D. drugs is fading

• FDA to Issue New Antidepressant Warnings

• mental health

• Journal hands over Prozac papers

• Taste perceptions may aid depression treatment

• Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders
• 1880 7 categories
• 1917 22 diagnoses.
• 1949 106 mental disorders DSM-1
• 1980 265 diagnostic categories DSM-III
• 1987 292 diagnoses DSM-III-R
• 1994 297 disorders DSM-IV
• 2000 unchanged diagnostic categories DSM-IV-TR

• A nutritional approach to psychiatry has been marginalized

…End of File Preview…

Here is my File Preview from my file on Schizoaffective Disorder...

…File Preview...
• This relatively rare disorder is defined as "the presence of psychotic symptoms in the absence of mood changes for at least two weeks in a patient who has a mood disorder."
• These are episodic disorders in which both affective and schizophrenic symptoms are prominent within the same episode of illness, preferably simultaneously, but at least within a few days of each other. Their relationship to typical mood (affective) disorders and to schizoaffective disorders is uncertain.
• Schizoaffective Disorder...SYMPTOMS...This disorder is characterized by the presence of one of the following: Major Depressive Episode (must include depressed mood), Manic Episode, Mixed Episode as well as the presence of at least two of the following symptoms, for at least one month: delusions, hallucinations, disorganized speech (e.g., frequent derailment or incoherence), grossly disorganized or catatonic behavior negative symptoms (e.g., affective flattening, alogia, avolition).
• Schizoaffective disorder... This disorder largely consists of both a thought disorder and a mood disorder.
• Schizoaffective disorder appears to be a combination of a thought disorder, mood disorder, and anxiety disorder.
• Schizoaffective disorder is one of the most confusing and controversial diagnostic categories in psychiatry. There is little agreement on what it actually is. Since there is no test or specific anatomical lesion for any "mental illness" we are stuck with the DSM IV and clinicians subjective interpretations of it when we or our loved ones are labeled. In most cases simply switching doctors will cause you or your loves ones to be given a different diagnosis.
• The neuroleptic 'medications' prescribed (or forcefully administered) for schizophrenia are not medicines which heal, but rather toxic drugs which can produce permanent disability, irreversible brain damage, even death.
• In the vast majority of cases, schizophrenia is an acute psychospiritual crisis which has usually been triggered by a traumatic life conflict. However, the following physical conditions can also trigger psychotic disturbances:
Cerebral allergies, Vitamin B-3 and B-6 dependencies, vitamin deficiencies (e.g. scurvy, pellagra), EFA deficiencies, mineral (e.g. zinc) deficiencies, toxic ractions to (e.g.) lead, or drugs (including psychiatric drugs), LSD, marijuana and other hallucinogens, infections such as rheumatic fever, syphilis, food allergies (e.g. to milk)
• Conclusions: Today's dominant theory of serious "mental illnesses" posits them to be genetically determined (i.e., inherited), biochemically mediated (via "chemical imbalances"winking smiley, life-long "brain diseases" (with associated specific neuropathologic changes) whose cause(s) and course is more or less independent of environmental factors is not supported by existing evidence. A critical review of the scientific available evidence reveals no clear indication of hereditary factors, no specific biochemical abnormalities, and no associated causal neurologic lesion(s). However, a number of environmental factors have been found to be related to their cause(s) and course (bibliography in preparation).
• …Soteria Project - Community Alternatives for the Treatment of Schizophrenia.
• …Dr. Mosher was expert witness for the plaintiffs in two successful class action suites related to forced medication of psychiatric patients (N.J.; Renie vs. Klein, 1978; CA; Jamison vs. Farribee 1983). He is currently expert witness for the plaintiffs in four class action suits (MD, VA, DC &AZ) against Psychiatric Institutes of America (PIA) and National Medical Enterprises (NME) for medical malpractice and insurance fraud (1994-present).
• Since starting on the flax oil life has been so much better for our family. He has not had a "rage" and I have not had to restrain him at all, he has entered school again and is doing well. He is happy and able to be redirected.
• Schizoaffective disorder (SD) is a disorder, or group of disorders, in which both major mood problems and psychotic symptoms coexist for at least part of the time. Technically, the patient must show symptoms of either mania, major depression, or a mix of both, while at the same time fitting diagnostic criteria for schizophrenia, for a period of at least one month. Then, there must be a period of at least two weeks in which the person experiences delusions or hallucinations (usually auditory) in the absence of prominent mood symptoms.
• Dissociative identity disorder (DID), formerly called multiple personality disorder, is not a psychotic condition, though it may sometimes be confused with schizophrenia. In DID, two or more subpersonalities or identities recurrently take control of the person's behavior. Each identity has distinct features, such as aggressive or passive, flamboyant or sedate, etc.
• Bipolar disorder (also called bipolar affective disorder, or manic-depressive disorder) is a cyclical disorder, characterized by dramatic mood swings, in which the individual may be manic, depressed, or in a mixed state. Delusions, if present, tend to be mood-congruent…
• Voices may be present during either manic or depressive phases.
• It is important, of course, to rule out physical causes for such symptoms, and especially important to make sure that your thyroid is functioning normally.
• The effects of fluoride on the thyroid gland have been studied so extensively, that it baffles the mind how experts on thyroid disease from Harvard or the University of Toronto can claim that fluorides do not affect thyroid gland function, especially when it has been used as medication to do just that! (76)
• Behaviour disorders have been associated with thyroid function for over 100 years.
• Supplementing their thyroid levels was largely curative. Visual and auditory hallucinations may result from altered perception and have been misdiagnosed as schizophrenia or psychosis.
• Thyroid hormone disorders may induce almost any psychiatric symptom or syndrome, including rage.
• “Children suffering from some kinds of depression have been found to have lower levels of melatonin, and traumatic events early in life may cause low melatonin levels.” p. 52 JR Insert: “Another thyroid/fluoride connection can be seen in Jennifer Luke's data (123) which has shown that fluoride accumulates in the pineal gland and inhibits its production of melatonin.”
• Toxic psychosis refers to a condition of affective psychosis simultaneously occurring in patients with newly diagnosed hyperthyroidism.
• One article from Thyroid Australia LTD describes psychosis occurring in a hypothyroid patient who was abruptly taken off thyroid replacement hormone in preparation for a thyroid scan. This patient became hypothryoid after thyroidectomy surgery for thyroid cancer.
• The latest report from Russia shows that controlled fasting was found to be the most effective treatment for schizophrenia. 64% of the patients had improved mentally after 20-30 days of controlled fasting.
• As early as 1972, Dr. Yuri Nikolayev, director of the fasting unit of the Moscow Psychiatric Institute, reported on the use of scientific, therapeutic fasting to successfully treat over 7000 patients, all suffering from neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia and various neuroses, concluding: "The hunger treatment [as Soviet psychiatrists term fasting] gives the entire nervous system and the brain a rest. The body is also cleansed of poisons, and the tissues and the various glands are renovated. Resting of the brain forms the basis for the treatment of various neuropsychiatric disorders. Treatment through fasting is an internal operation, without a scalpel."
• Throughout the past 50 years in Russia, therapeutic fasting has been found to be the most efficacious treatment for schizophrenia. As Allan Cott, M.D., noted in Fasting: The Ultimate Diet, on pp. 34-35: "Seventy percent of those treated by fasting improved so remarkably that they were able to resume an active life." About Doctor Nikolayev, who now has over 30 years' experience fasting over 10,000 patients, fellow psychiatrist Doctor Cott writes, p. 34: "An epochal breakthrough in the treatment of schizophrenia came when Doctor Nikolayev discovered that his patients responded to fasting treatment after all other forms of therapy had failed."

• Eleven different research laboratories on bowel toxins have reported that schizophrenics have five times more 6-hydroxyskatole in their urine than normal people (a skatole breakdown product from bacterial putrefaction). These findings correlate with the findings of Russian researchers, who, according to Dr. Allen Cott in Fasting as a Way of Life, have had excellent success using water fasts to cure 65% of the so-called “incurable schizophrenics.” It is interesting to note that one of the main causes of relapse for these “incurables” was a return to high-protein, flesh food intake, which is a diet that stimulates bacterial putrefaction and intestinal toxemia.
• Intestinal toxemia not only has been associated with severe mental symptoms such as psychosis, but with a variety of mental imbalances.
• As early as 1917, Drs. Satterlee and Eldridge presented 518 cases at an American Medical Association conference that had mental symptoms which were cured by removing the intestinal toxemia. They reported symptoms of intestinal toxemia which are familiar to many people: mental sluggishness, dullness, and stupidity; loss of concentration and/or memory; mental incoordination, irritability, lack of confidence, and excessive and useless worry; exaggerated introspection, hypochondrias, and phobias; depression and melancholy; obsessions and delusions; and hallucinations, suicidal tendencies, delirium, and stupor. Senility symptoms are also common with intestinal toxemia.
• Fasting is one of the best and quickest treatments for bowel toxicity. I have found in my research that the urinary indican was "markedly decreased" even after a seven-day fast. Phenols, another class of bowel toxins, have also been decreased significantly by fasting. The fasting process allows the bowels to rest and the inflammation to subside. If there are no proteins on which to feed, the putrefactive bacteria will also diminish.
• The fasting insures the digestive tract will be able to rest. The acidosis induced by fasting probably plays an important role in neutralizing some of the toxins that may have contributed to the schizophrenic condition. Schizophrenics have a higher protein level than others. The fasting mobilizes the proteins in the body. After the fast, the protein level is within normal levels.
• "If your bowel is not happy, your brain isn’t either because the chemicals are the same." -Dr. Oz
• "The colon is the mirror of the mind. If the mind is tight, so is the colon." -Dr. Allan Cott

• This NY Times article details how the drug companies have manipulated and influenced state governments to purchase even more of these expensive side effect-riddled drugs. Questions have multiplied about the many ways that the drug industry tries to influence the medical information that determines its products' success or failure.
• Most of the experts who wrote the manual widely used to diagnose mental illness have had financial ties to drug makers such as research funding or stock holdings, ...
• The connections are especially strong in those diagnostic areas where drugs are the first line of treatment for mental disorders, ...
…End of File Preview…

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 20, 2015 03:51PM

rasIndi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to this forum. I am not a raw foodist,
> but I am a vegetarian 6 months now.
>
> I have been hospitalized 3 times in the mental
> institution with psychosis. I am now taking
> antipsychotic medication and have been taking it
> for almost 7 years.
>
> I have heard so many things about raw food, and I
> am wondering, can a raw food diet help I get off
> meds and live healthy?
> Have you heard of raw food helping others with
> mental history?
>
> Thank you in anticipation

rasIndi, do you have mercury/amalgam fillings in your teeth? Do you have any know food allergies?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 20, 2015 04:18PM

Hi RasIndi,

There is nothing in the established literature to suggest complete recovery from psychosis. But there are several studies suggesting that improvements in diet can help symptoms. I think they would be especially helpful in battling the side effects from your medication.

1. Kale A, Naphade N, Sapkale S, Kamaraju M, Pillai A, Joshi S, Mahadik S.
Psychiatry Res. 2010 Jan 30;175(1-2):47-53.

This study suggest that there may be deficits in folic acid, b12, DHA. So be sure you are taking in lots of leafy greens, a reliable B12 supplement, and that your omega6yawning smileymega3 ratio is between 1:1 and 4:1. This generally means use flax seed and walnuts as your main fats and limit omega6 fats, trans fats and saturated fats.

2. Peet M, Isr J Psychiatry Relat Sci. 2008;45(1):19-25.
Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the treatment of schizophrenia.

This study suggests that DHA, arachadonic acid are lacking. The same advice for fat intake as in 1. applies.

In addition, if you are eating a very high fiber diet with copious f+v intake with lots of greens and a variety of different colors and the appropriate fatty acid balance, this will help to manage your weight and prevent symptoms of type 2 diabetes.

I wish you well and also suggest that you receive the advice of a qualified medical practitioner. Maybe a vegan-friendly RD would be most appropriate.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 20, 2015 04:53PM

rasIndi Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
> for almost 7 years.
>
> meds and live healthy?
> mental history?
>
> Thank you in anticipation.

Sorry to hear about your condition rasIndi, you definitely seem like you're on the right path by seeking out raw foods. Raw foods in general will provide you with lots of nutrition, enzymes, phytochemicals, fiber, and will help cleanse the body on a deep level. If you can, try and find a Naturopathic doctor in your area and begin working with them instead of conventional doctors who love putting people on meds and completely neglect other remedies. I've read many stories of people have cured mental illnesses with raw foods, including depression and schizophrenia.

Here are some things that may be able to help:

-AFA blue-green algae (E3 Live BrainON)
-Vitamin D3 (deficiencies linked to psychosis and schizophrenia)
-Algae-based omega-3's
-High-quality probiotics (gut health is very closely related to brain health)
-Lion's mane medicinal mushroom (stimulates NGF - Nerve Growth Factor)
-Vitamin B12

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/20/2015 05:05PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: HH ()
Date: January 20, 2015 06:35PM

Looking forward to RasIndi interacting with this thread so that we know that he/she is not a troll and/or one of the local regulars trotting out yet another alias.

Being on a healthy diet will help with any condition. Are you on an anti-psychotic or an atypical anti-psychotic? Which one?

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 20, 2015 07:31PM

In addition to what everyone else is saying, please study the effects of pesticides on the brain and understand how important it is to avoid sprayed produce. Blueberries are good for the brain, but reconsider if they were sprayed. There was a case study from Metametrix laboratories of someone who had severe brain toxicity and they ruled everything out and finally tested his fresh raw green juice from WHole Foods. The green juice contained the pesticide that was messing with his brain. When he eliminated the juice, his brain healed. It turns out, the Whole Foods juice bar was using pesticide-laden greens and this was damaging his brain.

I agree that raw foods can heal the brain. I met a man that was cured of brain cancer (a golf-ball sized tumor) using raw vegetable juices and herbs and radical natural therapies. But in your quest to do raw, consider the importance of organic, and to make it affordable, seek out farmer's markets and meet every farmer and find out who sprays and who doesn't, because some organic farmers cannot pay for the title of organic, even if they are.

You should get tested for food sensitivities, like gluten.

Date: January 20, 2015 11:51PM

rasIndi Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
> for almost 7 years.
>
> meds and live healthy?
> mental history?
>

In my experience, putting someone on a powerful raw diet can get one off the tablets and fix the psychosis, but everyone is different. What may work for one may not work for another. It is really important to be able to maintain discipline if one wishes to have a chance to beat that.

A person called Viktoras Kulvinskas was born autistic and had many issues with the mind and couldn't function in public for years. He claims the raw food diet fixed all of that, and these days he is certainly functionable around people.

The point is, a good raw food sprouted diet can go a long way in fixing these things for some people.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 21, 2015 04:21AM

HELPED ME!

I was on soo many meds. The max limit of each too. A few times I had bad reactions and woke up in hospitals, woke up in buses, just woke up after days of not remembering where I have been or what I have done. I could not choose wrong from right. I did not know. You can say I was mentally ill. I had no limits. I did anything. I could not say no to anybody or anything and I let guys treat me like trash. I was the ultimate victim all the time. Hated what I saw in the mirror. I used to keep the lights off. I would have to drink alcohol to feel normal like wine or Cinzano. I would actually do my school homework in high class bars. Me and my friends would go out and drink poisons.. Totally crazy I know.

As soon as I went 100%, I was cured I feel. NEVER BEEN BACK THERE SINCE. I stopped taking meds that day. I had no bad reaction. Not that I remember. I know my life turned upside down inside out for the better and have not ever gone back to a mentally ill day since. I can do things raw I have never been able to do. EVER. I can have relationships with people. I can love myself. I can work long hours, my concentration is skyrocket. My ideas are better. I think clearer. I feel healthy. No drugs no alcohol nothing in me but fruits and greens and nuts and seeds...and kombucha and cacao. Cacao really helped me with all that.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 04:27AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 21, 2015 04:33AM

Thankyou for sharing Mado, it's amazing how we can turn our lives around so much when we get focussed on using remedies that we are guided too. The power of the raw diet is so incredible because of the effects it can have on some people. Your story is so heart warming and memorable, and it brings tears of joy to my eyes (I get like that sometimes). *love and hugs sent your way*

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: January 21, 2015 04:37AM

SPROUT MAN

Posted by: Raw4ever ()
Date: January 21, 2015 05:12AM

rasIndi Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
> for almost 7 years.
>
> meds and live healthy?
> mental history?
>

I don't have any personal experience in raw food and its effects on psychosis but I have listened to Victoria Everett in a few interviews on YouTube talk about hearing voices and being depressed and how living food turned it around.

Watch this:

[www.youtube.com]

(At about 4 minutes, she begins to talk about her experiences with psychosis and raw food.)

Check it out.

Date: January 21, 2015 09:01AM

rasIndi Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
> for almost 7 years.
>
> meds and live healthy?
> mental history?
>

You might want to start taking fermented seeds in order to replace your good bacteria in the body. The drugs would be wiping the good bacteria out and you would be at a great disadvantage because of this. Regular ferments are especially recommended in your case, it is one of the most important first things needed to rebuild the body. You can do all the raw foods you like, but if you don't do the probiotic ferments you are only going to go so far IMO.

How do you go with digestion of cooked food and digestion of raw greens/nuts/seeds/bean sprouts?

With you, you will need to start right from the start and rebuild the house. You have a big job ahead.

Apart from the psychosis, how is your physical health and energy?

It's up to you how far you want to take it. People can give you some great advice here that could really help, but a healing person is only as good as his patient.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/2015 09:08AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: January 21, 2015 09:53AM

WOw, thanks a lot people for all the responces!!

Someone asked me if I have amalgam fillings in my teeth - not that I know of.

I think I would like to try eating a mostly raw food diet, but what is the right way to transition to it? DO I have to transition slowly?

Thanks again for all your messages!

Date: January 21, 2015 10:16AM

rasIndi Wrote:
> WOw, thanks a lot people for all the responces!!
>
> Someone asked me if I have amalgam fillings in my
> teeth - not that I know of.
>
> I think I would like to try eating a mostly raw
> food diet, but what is the right way to transition
> to it? DO I have to transition slowly?

Transition should be done slowly because there is much that needs to be done in terms of cleansing all the drug toxins out of your body with powerful green juices and building up the body. The green juices will likely be too powerful at the moment so it would be better to do other things first. This will be a process that takes time, so the diet will change over a period of time to suit your conditions. Well, that is certainly the way l would be doing things.

The first thing l would suggest is to get the taste buds adjusted to be able to take in various healing raw foods without hating them. The best way to do this is to start eating a large bowl of alfalfa sprouts for the first week before the main meal at night. A few days after l would recommend eating soaked almonds and hazel nuts (soaked for 2 days) for lunch (eat as many as you like when starting out) and only fruit for breakfast. Try that for the first week, and try to only eat fruit in the mornings.

If you are feeling excited about the suggested changes and the transition is going o.k l would then think about buying a blender. A blender is a key tool for raw fooders that will make it so much easier to be high raw.

Other people here will have different ideas, but those are my ideas above for making a good start in transition. I will now leave it to you to decide what you want to do. If you want any more help you can ask, so l won't say anymore about this unless you ask.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 21, 2015 12:14PM

You might have to slowly ramp up your fiber intake.

If you go from the standard 13 g per day up to 100, or even 50, you will be very uncomfortable. You will need to give the healthy gut bacteria time to build a population suitable for your new diet.

I will advise to go slowly.

Start with small salads, a piece of fruit, and a glass of green juice, then make your salads a little bit bigger with each successive day.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 21, 2015 12:49PM

The problem with salads is that you have to spend long time chewing them especially when you have greens such as kale.
When the intestinal flora is weak that is a difficult task for starters.

Date: January 21, 2015 02:24PM

<<<DO I have to transition slowly?>>>

Ideally, we want to change as fast as our body will allow us and the faster the better because the faster we change the more results we'll see and the more results we see the more MOTIVATION we'll have to make these HUGE lifestyle changes.

It's usually best to heed the words from those with the most experience and Herbert Shelton, who supervised over 50,000 Fasts, said that Fasting is the best preparation for a better Way of Life. Remember, we don't put new wine in an old container, as the saying goes.

Unfortunately, the Chemical Revolution has made Water Fasting unsafe for most of us, which is why we either have to prepare for “what used to be the best preparation for a better Way of Life” or simply Modify “what used to be the best preparation for a better Way of Life” and that's a Juice Fast or a Juice Feast!

Remember, Fasting is the fastest way to rid our bodies of Bowel Toxins, which is the main reason why so many of us are SICK in the first place, and it's also the easiest way to start our journey for a better life. As long as we are eating, it's harder to resist eating the Wrong Foods and it's virtually impossible to go from 5 to 10 grams of fiber to 50 to 60 grams. Of course, this problem will still exist after our Solid Food Vacation, which is why Juicing plays such a vital role during our Transition.

Indeed, there is a very good reason why Fasting is mentioned 74 times in the Bible and also mentioned in almost all other religions and that’s because Fasting allows us to CONTROL those things that are CONTROLLING us simply by NOT indulging in them anymore.

Once again, we want to change as fast as our body will allow us and in most cases, Juice Fasting or Juice Feasting is the best way to go because we will see results about 10 times faster assuming that we could even adhere to a 100% Raw Food Diet. For example, if your condition is related to your Thyroid, it may only take 1 or 2 months of Juicing for your Thyroid to start functioning properly again, whereas, it may take 1 or 2 years of eating for it to working optimally again

Another great reason to take the Quantum Leap Approach instead of the Baby Step Approach is because we can MINIMIZE any Cleansing Reactions that we might have while on a Juice Cleanse. I have coached thousands of people, 99% of which start their journey for a better life with a Juice Feast, and as long as they support all of their organs of elimination, they virtually have NO Cleansing Reactions provided their Bowel moves every day and their Liver is NOT too compromised.

Here is a really good Documentary of a bunch of people doing a Juice Cleanse with even more at the end giving their testimonials for inspiration.

JUICE SAVED MY LIFE

Peace and Love.......John

Date: January 21, 2015 03:57PM

rasIndi Wrote:
> WOw, thanks a lot people for all the responces!!
>
> Someone asked me if I have amalgam fillings in my
> teeth - not that I know of.
>
> I think I would like to try eating a mostly raw
> food diet, but what is the right way to transition
> to it? DO I have to transition slowly?
>
> Thanks again for all your messages!

I sent you a private message with a link to one of my article's on how to transition into a raw food diet. The easiest thing to do at this point would be experimenting with a variety of raw, organic foods and eating whatever you crave. After a couple weeks, you should have a better idea of how you'd like to continue moving forward with the diet. When I was transitioning, I went mostly raw with the exception of steamed broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, and baked potatoes. But if you have the money, I would definitely look into the aforementioned products. If you live in an area where you can get adequate sunlight, you wouldn't need to supplement with D3.

Also, you may want to consider various detox methods which will rapidly speed up the cleansing process, such as colon hydrotherapy, coffee enema's, infrared sauna's, rebounding, exercising, etc. Exercising is beneficial for psychosis and it releases endorphins anandamide (endocannabinoid - 'bliss chemical').

Date: January 21, 2015 04:27PM

"Exercising is beneficial for psychosis and it releases endorphins and* anandamide (endocannabinoid - 'bliss chemical')."

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 21, 2015 04:58PM

rasIndi Wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
> for almost 7 years.
>
> meds and live healthy?
> mental history?
>

"Psychosis" seems rather a catch-all term. Is it schizophrenia? Or did you have a bipolar episode? In some people's mania they can become psychotic, I believe. Matt Monarch has a video with a woman who says she used raw vegan to heal from bipolar:

[www.youtube.com]

Date: January 22, 2015 02:34PM

Guys have any of you out there reading this, have experienced any type of mental illness phase before raw?

Stay away from doctors and diagnosis, now that stuff follows you and your children around forever. You will not be able to have some rights all of us are supposed to have. Make sure its homeopathic at best. Stay away from hospitals and death centers.

Date: January 22, 2015 03:51PM

Thanks again people for the responses. This is a great and alive forum!

John, thanks for the video. I watched it.

Banana Who, I've actually watched that video before, good one!

I will start to taper my medication and after that I can start improving further my diet. Juicing seems a good thing to do too maybe, I will see.

Blessings everyone!

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 22, 2015 04:39PM

rasIndi Wrote:
> I will start to taper my medication and after that
> I can start improving further my diet. Juicing
> seems a good thing to do too maybe, I will see.

Please don't base your actions on what unqualified people on the internet advise you to do.

Your plan's ordered steps 1.,2.,3., is not a good one, IMO. Could be dangerous or even disastrous without professional supervision. I hope no one at this site "designed" this plan for you.

Date: January 22, 2015 07:32PM

SueZ Wrote:
> rasIndi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will start to taper my medication and after
> that
> > I can start improving further my diet. Juicing
> > seems a good thing to do too maybe, I will see.
>
>
>
> Please don't base your actions on what unqualified
> people on the internet advise you to do.
>
> Your plan's ordered steps 1.,2.,3., is not a good
> one, IMO. Could be dangerous or even disastrous
> without professional supervision. I hope no one at
> this site "designed" this plan for you.

Completely agreed Suez. Sounds potentially dangerous.

Date: January 22, 2015 10:09PM

SueZ Wrote:
> rasIndi Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I will start to taper my medication and after
> that
> > I can start improving further my diet. Juicing
> > seems a good thing to do too maybe, I will see.
>
>
>
> Please don't base your actions on what unqualified
> people on the internet advise you to do.
>
> Your plan's ordered steps 1.,2.,3., is not a good
> one, IMO. Could be dangerous or even disastrous
> without professional supervision. I hope no one at
> this site "designed" this plan for you.

LOL! But doctors are perfectly safe, right?

I agree with CC. I would stay the hell away from doctors, especially nowadays as the agenda seems crystal-clear: demonize those who are under a doctor's care for mental health. And now with our new "wonderful" "affordable" (eye rolling smiley) healthcare, you are entered into their system! Yay!

Oh and I trust you as a thinking adult to know whether or not to listen to any of us or not. Good luck, whatever you decide to do. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2015 10:09PM by banana who.

Date: January 22, 2015 10:27PM

Just for the record, when I said YOU are entered into the system, I didn't mean you specifically. I meant that it was their policy.

Date: January 22, 2015 10:37PM

banana who Wrote:

> LOL! But doctors are perfectly safe, right?
>
> [www.freesmileys.org]
> .gif

The point is that one should not go reducing medication without first employing a good diet over a period of time and wmonitoring by a doctor. To do otherwise can put people at risk of mental decline, especially if one is in phychosis in the first place.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables