Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
vitamin D - best sources
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 28, 2015 08:27PM

what are the best vitamin D food sources

its always cool to get sprout advice but i'd also like to know which foods are the best
without sprouting ( quicker for me)

if it is mushrooms... which type of mushrooms?

any need to soak in lemon juice overnight or something to bring out the properties?

oh by the way, did i ever mention that i love this forum?

thumbs down

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vitamin D - best sources
Date: January 28, 2015 08:30PM

also, if u take vitamin D in a tablet form, which is best? D2 or D3 etc?
what is better for long term and why

seems kind of complicated

and what do i have to watch out for?

Date: January 28, 2015 08:54PM

also i read the wikipedia article
but wanted more input
they don't seem to distinguish between D3 and D2 when they are talking about the maximum units (4 000 for adults)

plus which one is toxic - D2 or D3 and what is the recommended dosage?

Date: January 29, 2015 12:12AM

just realized that people discussed this in a prior thread
so i will review that again
i might of forgotten it because i just think "get it from the sun"

but that's like a double edged sword sometimes

nothing is so cut n dried

but still people can contribute more to this thread if they wish to

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 29, 2015 01:55AM

Mushrooms will increase their D levels if you put them out in the sun.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

The problem with this is you don't know exactly how much you are getting.

This may be helpful

RDA is 400 IU. You can take a D2 supplement, which is vegan. Some assays only check for D3 but this is no longer a problem as there are vegan sources of D3 these days.

[www.amazon.com]

Date: January 29, 2015 05:24PM

arugula

the RDA confuses me

it seems to range from 400 to 4000 IU
which is it?

Date: January 29, 2015 09:08PM

The Institute of Medicine (IOM) released new dietary reference intakes (DRIs) for calcium and vitamin D on November 30, 2010.

The changes in the recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin D were based solely on bone health.

The IOM raised the RDA for adults (19-70 years) from 200 IU to 600 IU per day and raised the tolerable upper intake level (UL) for adults from 2,000 IU to 4,000 IU per day.

They "think" you need 400 IU per day and they "think" you should not go higher than 4000 IU per day.

For the elderly (>70 years), the RDA was increased to 800 IU per day.

Debate continues to rage. For a while it seemed like Vitamin D was everyone's new darling, protecting everyone from every disease and everyone was completely under D'd, oh the horror. Supplement companies made a bunch of money. And then they found out it was not actually the answer to every problem and the scaremongering had been overstated.

Still it would be prudent to meet the RDA.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 29, 2015 10:07PM

I take 5000-10000 IU daily, RDA's are wayyyyyy too low. You need much higher doses in order to receive therapeutic and disease preventative effects.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - " Because vitamin D is potentially toxic, intake of >25 microg (1000 IU)/d has been avoided even though the weight of evidence shows that the currently accepted, no observed adverse effect limit of 50 microg (2000 IU)/d is too low by at least 5-fold."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "The clinical trial evidence shows that a prolonged intake of 250 mug (10,000 IU)/d of vitamin D(3) is likely to pose no risk of adverse effects in almost all individuals in the general population; this meets the criteria for a tolerable upper intake level."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - "Studies indicate that intake of vitamin D in the range from 1,100 to 4,000 IU/d and a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentration [25(OH)D] from 60-80 ng/ml may be needed to reduce cancer risk...Universal intake of up to 40,000 IU vitamin D per day is unlikely to result in vitamin D toxicity."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2015 10:15PM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 29, 2015 11:01PM

Arugula wrote:
They "think" you need 400 IU per day and they "think" you should not go higher than 4000 IU per day.

Tai:
That's because high doses of vitamin D have side effects. I have had to help the elderly when they swallowed the megadose pill they were given (something like 50,000 IU) and suffered side effects.

(By the way, Arugula, I love Paul Stamets and his work with mushrooms and the study he did with vitamin D. He told me that mushrooms should be cooked for a minute to kill pathogens. I think this is why raw fooders don't like mushrooms, because they can sometimes make one sick in a raw state. So, super-rich vitamin D mushrooms may or may not be embraced by rawists, depending on how they are tolerated in the raw state.)

Cholecalciferol Side Effects
Metabolic
Metabolic side effects have included hypercalcemia.[Ref]
Early signs and symptoms of hypercalcemia include headache, anorexia, nausea, vomiting, metallic taste, constipation, abdominal cramps, dry mouth, weakness, fatigue, muscle and bone pain, ataxia, tinnitus, and vertigo. Later hypercalcemia may result in pruritus, mental confusion, coma, hypertension, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, metastatic calcification, and renal insufficiency manifested by polyuria, nocturia, polydipsia, and proteinuria.[Ref]

Date: January 29, 2015 11:32PM

all of life is dancing on a knife's edge

you get used to it somehow

Date: January 30, 2015 12:23AM

LaV,

The oil-soluble form is D3. This is the one that has greater
potential for toxicity in high doses. D2 is the water soluble one.

Most studies find D3 to be more effective than D2 at large doses.
But maybe not so much at regular daily doses.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

I am not particularly interested in taking an expensive vegan D3
or sunning myself, not that I don't love the sun, but I don't want
the sags, so I take D2.

If you decide to risk high doses on a regular basis, it might be
prudent to get your blood checked periodically.

Date: January 30, 2015 12:53AM

"but I don't want the sags"

Fortunately, the sun doesn't cause "the sags". Your conclusions on Douglas Graham or anyone else's skin being caused by the sun is unfounded.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 30, 2015 09:15AM

Many of the so-called "vegan" D3 supplements have been made from cloned D3 that originally came from an animal source. The following link from Garden of Life Raw D3 explains the process.

[www.gardenoflife.com]

Despite the lengthy rationale, this statement from the link tells all: "Widely used, the commercially available D3 we purchase has been synthesized from animal cholesterol, primarily lanolin".

Thankfully, that's kind of an old link, and there's now D3 available that really is vegan, from a vegan primary source. It comes from ergosterol extracted from lichen.

[vitashine-d3.com] (registered with UK Vegan Society)

[www.country-life.com] (registered with American Vegetarian Association)

[www.nutraingredients-usa.com]

Here's a short article from Jack Norris RD about Vitashine:

[jacknorrisrd.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 09:29AM by suncloud.

Date: January 30, 2015 10:34AM

Here's the nih.gov Fact Sheet on Vitamin D (Reviewed November 10, 2014).

[ods.od.nih.gov]

The RDA for adults 19-70 years old is 600 IU. The tolerable upper intake level (UL) for anyone over 9 years old is 4000 IU.

A few noteworthy phrases from the Fact Sheet that might indicate some caution when taking Vitamin D supplements (IMO):

"Vitamin D toxicity can cause non-specific symptoms such as anorexia, weight loss, polyuria, and heart arrhythmias. More seriously, it can also raise blood levels of calcium which leads to vascular and tissue calcification, with subsequent damage to the heart, blood vessels, and kidneys."

"The use of supplements of both calcium (1,000 mg/day) and vitamin D (400 IU) by postmenopausal women was associated with a 17% increase in the risk of kidney stones over 7 years in the Women's Health Initiative."

"Excessive sun exposure does not result in vitamin D toxicity... Intakes of vitamin D from food that are high enough to cause toxicity are very unlikely. Toxicity is much more likely to occur from high intakes of dietary supplements containing vitamin D."

And according to Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism 5th Ed. (Gropper, 2009):

"Dosages of 10,000 IU per day for several months have resulted in hypercalcemia and associated calcification of soft tissues such as the kidney, heart, lungs, and blood vessels, as well as hyperphosphatemia, hypertension anorexia, nausea, weakness, renal dysfunction, and in some cases, death".

IMO, it's probably a good idea to take a Vitamin D supplement if D is lacking. It's probably also a good idea to pay heed to the most recent recommendations for both RDA and UL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 10:42AM by suncloud.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 30, 2015 12:25PM

Source of Life Garden (not to be confused with similarly named brands) is vegan and not from an animal source.

[www.amazon.com]

The brand of D arugala linked is GMO. Maybe she doesn't care about such things but many of us raw vegans do. I do.

A good book on the subject which is very inexpensive ...

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: John Rose ()
Date: January 30, 2015 01:33PM

How any of y'all considered Vitamin D Sulfate?

Here are a couple of links to a couple of articles from my file on Vitamin D Sulfate followed by my File Preview...

[articles.mercola.com]
If You Take Oral Vitamin D You MUST Avoid Making This Serious Mistake

[articles.mercola.com]
Ignore This Deficiency... And Become 3 Times More Likely to Die?

[mercola.fileburst.com]
A Special Interview with Carole Baggerly

…File Preview…
• If You Take Oral Vitamin D You MUST Avoid Making This Serious Mistake
•
• The IDEAL Way to Optimize Your Vitamin D Levels
• While this article is focused on the two types of oral vitamin D supplementation, it's important to realize that the IDEAL way to optimize your vitamin D levels is through appropriate sun or safe tanning bed exposure. While your skin does create vitamin D3 in response to sun light, which is theoretically the same as the D3 you get from an oral supplement, there's cause to believe that the vitamin D created from sun exposure may have additional health benefits, and here's why:
When you expose your skin to the sun, your skin also synthesizes high amounts of cholesterol sulfate, which is very important for heart and cardiovascular health. In fact, according to research by Dr. Stephanie Seneff, high LDL and subsequent heart disease may in fact be a symptom of cholesterol sulfate deficiency. Sulfur deficiency also promotes obesity and related health problems like diabetes
When exposed to sunshine, your skin also synthesizes vitamin D3 sulfate. This form of vitamin D is water soluble, unlike oral vitamin D3 supplements, which is unsulfated. The water-soluble form can travel freely in your bloodstream, whereas the unsulfated form needs LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) as a vehicle of transport. According to Dr. Stephanie Seneff, there's reason to believe that many of the profound benefits of vitamin D are actually due to the vitamin D sulfate. As a result, she suspects that the oral non-sulfated form of vitamin D might not provide all of the same benefits, because it cannot be converted to vitamin D sulfate
You cannot overdose when getting your vitamin D from sun exposure, as your body has the ability to self-regulate and only make what it needs
•
• Ignore This Deficiency... And Become 3 Times More Likely to Die?
•
• When you expose your skin to the sun, your skin also synthesizes high amounts of cholesterol sulfate, which is very important for cardiovascular health. In fact, Dr. Stephanie Seneff, believes that high LDL and associated heart disease may in fact be a symptom of cholesterol sulfate deficiency. Sulfur deficiency, in fact, also promotes obesity and related health problems like diabetes
•
• A Special Interview with Carole Baggerly
•
• Every single one of them agreed. Every one of them, we now have 40 on this panel, that the focus should be on the serum level not the dosage. The reason being, if you focus on the serum level, you can have people take whatever it takes to get there. It does take something different for everybody. Everybody’s human body just responds differently. So we had our message. Our message for entire campaign was get your serum level to 40 to 60 nanograms per milliliter. That’s it. That’s really it.
•
• DM: I interviewed a Dr. Stephanie Seneff – you may or may not be familiar with her. She’s a full professor out at MIT for the last three decades and has recently become passionate about health and vitamin D and cholesterol. She theorizes that there maybe this interaction with the sun and vitamin D and sulfate and that when you get the vitamin D generated by UVB exposure, it actually interacts with the sulfate in your skin and forms vitamin D sulfate.
• DM: It’s a whole different mechanism of action which is not formed when you swallow it.
…End of File Preview…

Date: January 30, 2015 01:54PM

Make sure to get enough sulfur in your diet. If you can't do that with foods black salt works very well, in my experience.

If you have leaking mercury containing filling in your teeth (and they all eventually leak) be aware that mercury loves to bind to sulfur so adjust your intake of sulfur containing foods accordingly until you can afford to get the mercury fillings out of your teeth by a qualified dentist who uses O2 and rubber dams for the procedure.

Posted by: Ela2013 ()
Date: January 30, 2015 02:25PM

I'm taking D2, to be safe it's vegan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raw vegan for life. Vegan for the animals. Raw for my health.

Date: January 30, 2015 02:48PM

thanks all

interesting info to sift through

suncloud

u always come up with good vegan sources of this n that
cool!

Date: January 30, 2015 02:51PM

arugula

<<LaV,

The oil-soluble form is D3. This is the one that has greater
potential for toxicity in high doses. D2 is the water soluble one.

Most studies find D3 to be more effective than D2 at large doses.
But maybe not so much at regular daily doses.
[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] >>

what about just taking some D3 (4000 IU)
just on occasion

wouldn't that take care of the toxicity problem?

i would imagine toxicity is caused from build up

but if it is done in a way where it is not done regularly
where is the harm?

Date: January 30, 2015 03:41PM

Here's another article from my file on Vitamin D Sulfate...

[articles.mercola.com]
How Sun Exposure Improves Your Health and How Glyphosate Disrupts It
October 19, 2014 | 186,137 views
By Dr. Mercola

Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Seneff About Cholesterol Sulfate
26:15 Minute Video
[www.youtube.com]

Story at-a-glance
• Sensible sun exposure is an important component for optimal health, for a number of reasons. Vitamin D production is one; production of cholesterol sulfate is another
• Cholesterol sulfate is needed to maintain the health of your red blood cells
• Both aluminum and glyphosate interfere with sulfate synthesis. Evidence suggests sunscreens and glyphosate-contaminated food may play a role in the rise of skin cancer, as well as many other health problems
• Ideally, get an appropriate amount of sun exposure, without the use of sunscreen, to optimize your vitamin D and sulfate levels
• Swap out processed foods for organic whole foods to avoid glyphosate exposure, which interferes with sulfate synthesis

Sensible sun exposure is an important component for optimal health, for a number of reasons. Vitamin D production is one, of course, but of equal importance is the production of cholesterol sulfate.

Dr. Stephanie Seneff, a research scientist at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), is an expert on sulfate, and in my recent interview with her we discuss the various ways sunlight contributes to health.

The cholesterol produced in your skin in response to sun exposure is actually a substrate-forming vitamin D. Unfortunately, virtually no one, aside from Dr. Seneff, is talking about cholesterol sulfate.

Tying It All Together

While these issues are clearly complex, the take-home message is that cholesterol and sulfur are closely interrelated, and both are dependent on the vitamin D synthesized in your skin as a result of sun exposure. Taking high-dose vitamin D supplements will not have the identical effect, as it does not allow your body to make sulfate. That is why it is nearly always best to get your vitamin D from sensible sun exposure on large areas of your skin. I personally have not swallowed any oral vitamin D for five years.

Cholesterol sulfate is produced in sun-exposed skin by a cytochrome p450 enzyme called eNOS. When you are deficient in cholesterol sulfate from lack of sun exposure, your body employs another mechanism to increase it, as it is essential for optimal heart- and brain function. It does this by taking damaged LDL and turning it into plaque. Cholesterol is being stashed inside the plaque, awaiting a supply of sulfate so that it can be shipped out as cholesterol sulfate. This plaque causes the unfortunate side effect of increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease... In addition to promoting cardiovascular health, cholesterol sulfate is also necessary for the health of your red blood cells.

In short, the ideal way to raise your vitamin D and sulfate level, while simultaneously lowering your LDL cholesterol is to get appropriate amounts of sunlight exposure on your skin. To summarize the function and importance of eNOS, which creates the cholesterol sulfate, it's important to remember that eNOS is a dual-purpose enzyme that makes both sulfate and nitric oxide (NO).

Since eNOS is a cytochrome p450enzyme, it is disrupted by glyphosate. Aluminum, such as the aluminum nanoparticles found in sunscreens, also disrupts the function of eNOS—thereby preventing sulfate production. According to Dr. Seneff, the evidence suggests that the combination of glyphosate exposure and use of aluminum-based sunscreens may be responsible for the rise in skin cancer, despite the fact that people are massively avoiding sunlight. From my perspective, all of this supports two very basic health recommendations:

1. Get an appropriate amount of sun exposure, without the use of sunscreen, to optimize your vitamin D and sulfate levels
2. Swap out processed foods for organic whole foods to avoid glyphosate exposure

[-] Sources and References
• 1 Entropy 2012, 14(12), 2492-2530
[articles.mercola.com]

Date: January 30, 2015 04:09PM

Don't buy or use any products with artificially manufactured metal nanoparticles in them - they circumvent the bodies' defense system. They are really bad news on every level.

Does anybody here have any experience with the vitamin D patches?

Date: January 30, 2015 04:21PM

"Make sure to get enough sulfur in your diet. If you can't do that with foods black salt works very well, in my experience."

You could also use a high-quality MSM powder.

Date: January 30, 2015 05:19PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Make sure to get enough sulfur in your diet. If
> you can't do that with foods black salt works very
> well, in my experience."
>
> You could also use a high-quality MSM powder.

Back in the 1980's when I got very sick with a lachrymal salivary gland infection and fused together lymph nodes, etc., etc., from mercury leaking out of dental fillings the MSM I used made me a lot sicker. (As I mentioned, sulfur loves to bond to mercury. It will do that whenever and wherever it can.) The MSM turned the side of my face over the gland the color of a deep blackish bruise which took several weeks, at least, to fade away. Since that experience with it I want absolutely nothing to do with MSM and would caution anyone who still has those old time amalgam fillings or has had any other exposure to mercury poisoning to avoid MSM, too, as a precaution.

Date: January 30, 2015 05:37PM

SueZ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "Make sure to get enough sulfur in your diet.
> If
> > you can't do that with foods black salt works
> very
> > well, in my experience."
> >
> > You could also use a high-quality MSM powder.
>
> Back in the 1980's when I got very sick with a
> lachrymal salivary gland infection and fused
> together lymph nodes, etc., etc., from mercury
> leaking out of dental fillings the MSM I used made
> me a lot sicker. (As I mentioned, sulfur loves to
> bond to mercury. It will do that whenever and
> wherever it can.) The MSM turned the side of my
> face over the gland the color of a deep blackish
> bruise which took several weeks, at least, to fade
> away. Since that experience with it I want
> absolutely nothing to do with MSM and would
> caution anyone who still has those old time
> amalgam fillings or has had any other exposure to
> mercury poisoning to avoid MSM, too, as a
> precaution.

Perhaps it was just rapidly detoxing more than your body could handle? It also detoxes a lot more than mercury so that could've added to the barrage of toxins.

Date: January 30, 2015 05:50PM

Here's another article from my file on Vitamin D Sulfate...

[experiencelife.com]
New report questions vitamin D supplementation
Maggie Fazeli Fard • Dec 11, 2013

Researchers in France claim that low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of disease, and recommend against supplementation.

Just when it seemed like vitamin D was the new king of dietary supplements — with benefits that include regulating blood sugar, blood pressure, immune function, pain, inflammation, and muscle strength — a recent review of hundreds of studies and clinical trials is knocking D off its throne.

The new analysis, published online this week in Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, found that although low vitamin D levels are associated with higher risk of a wide variety of diseases, supplementation had little impact on disease occurrence. (JR: See Vitamin D Sulfate)

In other words, low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of conditions including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, depression, and certain cancers.

[experiencelife.com]

Date: January 30, 2015 05:58PM

Here is an updated version of my File Preview for my file on Vitamin D Sulfate...

…File Preview…
• If You Take Oral Vitamin D You MUST Avoid Making This Serious Mistake
•
• The IDEAL Way to Optimize Your Vitamin D Levels
• While this article is focused on the two types of oral vitamin D supplementation, it's important to realize that the IDEAL way to optimize your vitamin D levels is through appropriate sun or safe tanning bed exposure. While your skin does create vitamin D3 in response to sun light, which is theoretically the same as the D3 you get from an oral supplement, there's cause to believe that the vitamin D created from sun exposure may have additional health benefits, and here's why:
When you expose your skin to the sun, your skin also synthesizes high amounts of cholesterol sulfate, which is very important for heart and cardiovascular health. In fact, according to research by Dr. Stephanie Seneff, high LDL and subsequent heart disease may in fact be a symptom of cholesterol sulfate deficiency. Sulfur deficiency also promotes obesity and related health problems like diabetes
When exposed to sunshine, your skin also synthesizes vitamin D3 sulfate. This form of vitamin D is water soluble, unlike oral vitamin D3 supplements, which is unsulfated. The water-soluble form can travel freely in your bloodstream, whereas the unsulfated form needs LDL (the so-called "bad" cholesterol) as a vehicle of transport. According to Dr. Stephanie Seneff, there's reason to believe that many of the profound benefits of vitamin D are actually due to the vitamin D sulfate. As a result, she suspects that the oral non-sulfated form of vitamin D might not provide all of the same benefits, because it cannot be converted to vitamin D sulfate
You cannot overdose when getting your vitamin D from sun exposure, as your body has the ability to self-regulate and only make what it needs
•
• Ignore This Deficiency... And Become 3 Times More Likely to Die?
•
• When you expose your skin to the sun, your skin also synthesizes high amounts of cholesterol sulfate, which is very important for cardiovascular health. In fact, Dr. Stephanie Seneff, believes that high LDL and associated heart disease may in fact be a symptom of cholesterol sulfate deficiency. Sulfur deficiency, in fact, also promotes obesity and related health problems like diabetes
•
• A Special Interview with Carole Baggerly
•
• Every single one of them agreed. Every one of them, we now have 40 on this panel, that the focus should be on the serum level not the dosage. The reason being, if you focus on the serum level, you can have people take whatever it takes to get there. It does take something different for everybody. Everybody’s human body just responds differently. So we had our message. Our message for entire campaign was get your serum level to 40 to 60 nanograms per milliliter. That’s it. That’s really it.
•
• DM: I interviewed a Dr. Stephanie Seneff – you may or may not be familiar with her. She’s a full professor out at MIT for the last three decades and has recently become passionate about health and vitamin D and cholesterol. She theorizes that there maybe this interaction with the sun and vitamin D and sulfate and that when you get the vitamin D generated by UVB exposure, it actually interacts with the sulfate in your skin and forms vitamin D sulfate.
• DM: It’s a whole different mechanism of action which is not formed when you swallow it.
•
•
• How Sun Exposure Improves Your Health and How Glyphosate Disrupts It
• Dr. Mercola Interviews Dr. Seneff About Cholesterol Sulfate
• Story at-a-glance
• Sensible sun exposure is an important component for optimal health, for a number of reasons. Vitamin D production is one; production of cholesterol sulfate is another
• Cholesterol sulfate is needed to maintain the health of your red blood cells
• Both aluminum and glyphosate interfere with sulfate synthesis. Evidence suggests sunscreens and glyphosate-contaminated food may play a role in the rise of skin cancer, as well as many other health problems
• Ideally, get an appropriate amount of sun exposure, without the use of sunscreen, to optimize your vitamin D and sulfate levels
• Swap out processed foods for organic whole foods to avoid glyphosate exposure, which interferes with sulfate synthesis
• Sensible sun exposure is an important component for optimal health, for a number of reasons. Vitamin D production is one, of course, but of equal importance is the production of cholesterol sulfate.
• The cholesterol produced in your skin in response to sun exposure is actually a substrate-forming vitamin D. Unfortunately, virtually no one, aside from Dr. Seneff, is talking about cholesterol sulfate.
• "I identified it as an important molecule many years ago," she says. "Ever since then I've been combing the literature to learn everything I can about cholesterol sulfate...
• Most people are just not paying attention to this molecule. Mostly what you'll see is, 'Oh, yeah, there's always cholesterol sulfate in the blood, and we don't know what it's for.'"
• Cholesterol Sulfate May Be Essential for Health of All Cells
• What is widely known is that red blood cells produce cholesterol sulfate and that this molecule protects the red blood cells from falling apart. If a red blood cell can’t produce enough cholesterol sulfate, it will spill its contents out into the blood (a condition called hemolysis).
• In short, the red blood cells need the cholesterol sulfate to stay healthy and to function properly.
• "It's a very elegant concept that they need sunlight to make sulfate," Dr. Seneff notes. "I came upon this as an idea when thinking about the skin. The skin makes a huge amount of cholesterol sulfate. It's the main producer.
• Your skin is exposed to sunlight and produces [both cholesterol sulfate and] vitamin D sulfate at the same time. The vitamin D that's produced in the skin is transported in the sulfated form....
• When you sulfate the cholesterol, you turn it into a water-soluble and a fat-soluble molecule. It can get just about anywhere on its own. It doesn't have to be packaged up inside a low-density lipoprotein (LDL) particle, for example.
• The LDL particles have a high association with heart disease, and they're giving everybody a statin drug to try to knock it down, which is a very bad idea.
• The cholesterol sulfate serves the really important role of distributing both cholesterol and sulfate to all tissues. I think that's one of the really important things that it does. It's incredibly important because the cholesterol and the sulfate are absolutely essential to the well-being of all the cells."
• Sulfate Appears to Play an Important Regulatory Role in Your Blood
• The molecule in your red blood cells which Dr. Seneff believes is responsible for making cholesterol sulfate is called endothelial nitric oxide synthase (eNOS), which has been very well studied.
• There are thousands of papers on eNOS, and the general understanding is that it makes nitric oxide (NO). It also makes superoxide, which is considered to be pathogenic.
• However, according to Dr. Seneff, this may be an erroneous conclusion, because superoxide is actually needed to oxidize sulfur to make sulfate. Again, while these molecules are complex, and we still do not completely understand how they work, it's clear that sulfate plays a very important role in your blood.
• "For example, in the endothelial wall lining the blood vessels, sulfated sugar molecules control what gets in and what doesn't... A lot of important signaling molecules are attached to these sulfated sugar molecules before they go in, and then there's all this regulation that takes place.
• When the artery wall is depleted in sulfate, it doesn't work properly. That's when you get cascades that end up producing things like cardiovascular plaque, because there's not enough sulfate in the artery wall. That's what causes the plaque to build," she explains
• Glyphosate Disrupts Vitamin D Activation and Sulfate Production
•
•
• The eNOS Molecule Helps Regulate and Balance Your Blood
• To clarify further, eNOS is a dual-purpose enzyme. When it's attached to the cell membrane, it makes sulfate. When it's detached from the membrane and in the cytoplasm, it makes nitric oxide, which eventually becomes nitrate. So it oxidizes both sulfur and nitrogen, and there's an intricate control mechanism that allows every single eNOS molecule to switch back and forth between those two options.
•
•
• Why Sun Exposure Is the Ideal Way to Optimize Your Vitamin D Level
• Dr. Seneff is against using high-dose oral vitamin D supplements, because doing so might fool your body into thinking the sulfate system is working when in reality it’s not. Essentially, the process begins in your skin: When sunshine or UVB light strikes your skin, vitamin D sulfate is produced. The vitamin D transports this sulfate to your liver, where the vitamin D gets oxidized by the CYP enzyme, thus becoming activated. Next, it’s transported to your kidney where it gets activated with another cytochrome p450 enzyme. You now have double-activated vitamin D.
• "The signal that the vitamin D provides is a message that all those things are working," Dr. Seneff explains. "But if you take huge amounts of vitamin D supplements, you're fooling the system because you've got so much more vitamin D that some of it gets activated... You've got enough to fool your body into thinking the cytochrome p450 enzymes are working properly. That's why I think the answer is not to take huge amounts of vitamin D supplements."
• Based on this chain of events, I really believe that optimizing your vitamin D level through sun exposure is the ideal strategy. Interestingly, the cholesterol sulfate also makes gelled water around the cell. I've previously interviewed Dr. Gerald Pollack, a biophysicist with the University of Washington, who is an expert on water. He calls this gel-like water EZ water (H2O3), which stands for exclusion zone. It's basically structured water, which is the type of water your cells are made of.
• Electrons end up inside the structured water, and they become mobile. When an oxygen gas molecule comes in, it will get hit by one of those electrons. When you add that to a sulfur molecule, you end up with sulfate. This is basically what eNOS does. It has a zinc atom inside, which has a positive charge. The zinc is an important catalyst in this process, so if you're zinc deficient, your sulfate pathway is also disrupted. Here, again, glyphosate exposure is a factor, as glyphosate causes zinc deficiency by chelating it out.
• Glyphosate May Be Related to Increase in Skin Cancer
•
•
• Tying It All Together
• While these issues are clearly complex, the take-home message is that cholesterol and sulfur are closely interrelated, and both are dependent on the vitamin D synthesized in your skin as a result of sun exposure. Taking high-dose vitamin D supplements will not have the identical effect, as it does not allow your body to make sulfate. That is why it is nearly always best to get your vitamin D from sensible sun exposure on large areas of your skin. I personally have not swallowed any oral vitamin D for five years.
• Cholesterol sulfate is produced in sun-exposed skin by a cytochrome p450 enzyme called eNOS. When you are deficient in cholesterol sulfate from lack of sun exposure, your body employs another mechanism to increase it, as it is essential for optimal heart- and brain function. It does this by taking damaged LDL and turning it into plaque. Cholesterol is being stashed inside the plaque, awaiting a supply of sulfate so that it can be shipped out as cholesterol sulfate. This plaque causes the unfortunate side effect of increasing your risk of cardiovascular disease... In addition to promoting cardiovascular health, cholesterol sulfate is also necessary for the health of your red blood cells.
• In short, the ideal way to raise your vitamin D and sulfate level, while simultaneously lowering your LDL cholesterol is to get appropriate amounts of sunlight exposure on your skin. To summarize the function and importance of eNOS, which creates the cholesterol sulfate, it's important to remember that eNOS is a dual-purpose enzyme that makes both sulfate and nitric oxide (NO).
• Since eNOS is a cytochrome p450enzyme, it is disrupted by glyphosate. Aluminum, such as the aluminum nanoparticles found in sunscreens, also disrupts the function of eNOS—thereby preventing sulfate production. According to Dr. Seneff, the evidence suggests that the combination of glyphosate exposure and use of aluminum-based sunscreens may be responsible for the rise in skin cancer, despite the fact that people are massively avoiding sunlight. From my perspective, all of this supports two very basic health recommendations:
o Get an appropriate amount of sun exposure, without the use of sunscreen, to optimize your vitamin D and sulfate levels
o Swap out processed foods for organic whole foods to avoid glyphosate exposure
• New report questions vitamin D supplementation
• Researchers in France claim that low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of disease, and recommend against supplementation.
• Just when it seemed like vitamin D was the new king of dietary supplements — with benefits that include regulating blood sugar, blood pressure, immune function, pain, inflammation, and muscle strength — a recent review of hundreds of studies and clinical trials is knocking D off its throne.
• The new analysis, published online this week in Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, found that although low vitamin D levels are associated with higher risk of a wide variety of diseases, supplementation had little impact on disease occurrence. [JR: See Vitamin D Sulfate]
• In other words, low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of conditions including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, depression, and certain cancers.
…End of File Preview…

Date: January 30, 2015 06:28PM

"In other words, low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of conditions including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, depression, and certain cancers."

I don't see the logic in this hypothesis. That's basically saying if you aren't diseased and never get any sunlight, you will never develop a vitamin D deficiency. There's plenty of studies that show significant benefit for a wide range of diseases after vitamin D supplementation.

Date: January 30, 2015 07:05PM

Researchers in France wrote:

"In other words, low vitamin D levels are an effect — not a cause — of conditions including cardiovascular disease, metabolic syndrome, depression, and certain cancers."

jtprindl wrote:

<<<I don't see the logic in this hypothesis. That's basically saying if you aren't diseased and never get any sunlight, you will never develop a vitamin D deficiency.>>>

None of these people really understand the Dis-Ease process, but I think you might be getting confused because you might not understand the Ripple Effect, as it seems that most people are having a hard time understanding the Ripple Effect where Effects become Causes, as in the Casual Loop, and Effects become Knowledge, as in the Knowledge Loop.

In other words, NOT getting adequate Sunshine is the Cause and Low Vitamin D Levels are the Effect and then, Effects become Causes so Low Vitamin D Levels Cause a host of other problems because almost every cell in our body needs Vitamin D.

Here's another way to think of most of our Dis-Eases...

Most Dis-Eases are a SYMPTOM of a much bigger problem and that problem has to do with NOT Satisfying all of our Needs!

Interestingly, these researchers in France seem to have come to the same conclusion as Dr. Seneff...

"Dr. Seneff is against using high-dose oral vitamin D supplements, because doing so might fool your body into thinking the sulfate system is working when in reality it’s not. Essentially, the process begins in your skin: When sunshine or UVB light strikes your skin, vitamin D sulfate is produced. The vitamin D transports this sulfate to your liver, where the vitamin D gets oxidized by the CYP enzyme, thus becoming activated. Next, it’s transported to your kidney where it gets activated with another cytochrome p450 enzyme. You now have double-activated vitamin D."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 07:07PM by John Rose.

Date: January 30, 2015 07:52PM

Thank you La_V smiling smiley

Some points maybe worth mentioning:

-Both D2 and D3 will raise serum D to normal levels. My understanding is that vegan D3 has become more affordable, but I don't know for sure.

-I goofed when I said the new vegan D3 supplement "comes from ergosterol extracted from lichen". Actually no, it's the D2 that comes from ergosterol, which is a lipid molecule found only in plants. To synthesize D2, the ergosterol molecule is irradiated, breaking open one of its 4 closed rings to form ergocalciferol (D2), which closely resembles the structure of cholecalciferol (D3).

The D3 from lichen (found in fungi/algae/cyanobacteria) is already D3.

-I think if I couldn't get enough D3 from the sun, I would consider purchasing a full spectrum lamp. Like this one: [www.verilux.com]

Full-spectrum lamps have been used for treating people with short bowel syndrome (SBS) and cystic fibrosis (CF), conditions that limit fat absorption. Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin, so if it can't be absorbed from a vitamin, full spectrum light (from sun or lamp) is the only other source. [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

(So here's a question for anyone. The above article specifically mentions that D2 supplements cannot reverse D deficiency in SBS and CF because those conditions limit fat absorption. Mercola is the only source I found who claims that D2 is water-soluble. But I haven't found a single reliable source that supports Mercola's claim. As mentioned above, D2 comes from a sterol [ergosterol, a type of fat] and resembles D3.)

Back to full-spectrum lighting: According to the following link, "For people in jobs in which sunlight exposure is limited, full-spectrum lighting may be helpful."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Actually, I think the above article has some very good information about the benefits of sunlight in general (For example, I didn't know sunlight could help prevent and treat tuberculosis). According to the article, in addition to the D3 pathway, there are several other biochemical pathways that rely on sunlight (scroll down near the bottom to "Other Sun-Dependent Pathways" ).

But just regarding Vitamin D, the authors state, "At least 1,000 different genes governing virtually every tissue in the body are now thought to be regulated by 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 (1,25[OH]D), the active form of the vitamin, including several involved in calcium metabolism and neuromuscular and immune system functioning."

I think I'd get a lamp and go outside as often as possible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/30/2015 07:57PM by suncloud.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables