Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
i think i just read an article in an eating disorder journal about kulvinskas
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 15, 2015 08:25PM

I can't say for sure it is him. Some of the specifics have been changed, but it sounds very much like him with some facts slightly altered:

69 vs 72 years old in the publication

math vs engineer in the publication

widowed vs divorced in the publication

natural hygiene vs fruitarian in the publication

from Int J Eat Disord 2008; 41:376–379

-------------------------------------------

Past history revealed long-standing food preoccupations
and restrictive eating habits. We learned
that decades earlier Mr. T. had published an ‘‘alternative
health’’ book on nutrition and that the overzealous
rigidity with which he followed his unusual
diet apparently contributed to his divorce years
ago. According to his ex-wife, he ordinarily drank
no water, as he believed his diet would provide a
sufficient supply. Initially, he had felt that only
grains, vegetables, and fruits were needed to survive,
but over the years he further restricted his
diet almost entirely to fruit.

At that time, Mr. T had followed
a ‘‘fruitarian’’ diet for many years and had
apparently told his daughter that he did not need
treatment for his facial lesion as his diet would
‘‘take care of it.’’ His daughter reported that her father
had experienced short-term memory difficulties
for more than 20 years. It was felt that Mr. T’s
dietary beliefs approached delusional fixation and
intensity and Cognitive disorder NOS, Asperger’s
syndrome and Schizotypal traits were diagnosed.
Risperidone 0.25–0.5 mg daily was recommended
though there was no indication that Mr. T ever took
the medication.

On admission to the geriatric psychiatry ward,
Mr. T’s physical examination was notable for a basic
metabolic index (BMI) of 16.7 (height:5 ft, 9 in;
weight:113 lb); a partial left 7th facial nerve paralysis
due to the removal of his basal cell carcinoma;
and a mini mental state exam19 score of 26/30 (0/3
on delayed recall). His serum cyanocobalamin level
was \100 pg/ml.

An electrocardiogram
showed bradycardia, a widened QRS interval
and a left anterior/superior bundle branch block
attributed to cardiac muscle wasting. Aortic valve
stenosis and mild pulmonary hypertension were
found on echocardiogram.

Mr. T. was presumptively diagnosed with EDNOS
and Dementia secondary to nutritional deficiency
(cyanocobalamin).

During his hospital stay, he
strongly denied feeling overweight or worrying
about weight but would ‘‘power walk’’ every day
and acknowledged, on the eating disorder questionnaire
(EDQ),20 that he did so to control weight.

He revealed no overt signs of a distorted body
image and, notably, ate well throughout his stay.

Although he emphasized that he believed he
required very little protein and no fat at all and
requested a vegetarian diet, he was noted to hoard
food and even order bacon, which he would hide,
and later vehemently deny that he had ever asked
for, or would ever eat, bacon.

Eventually, Mr. T.
admitted to a history of ‘‘bulimia—years ago,’’
although on the EDQ he stated that the first/only
time he had self-induced vomiting was at age 68.
On repeated mental status examinations, Mr. T.
was easily irritated and frustrated around issues of
food and of not being able to return home.

Cognitive testing showed marked retrieval deficits
and signs of executive dysfunction consistent with
subcortical dementia. Mr. T’s cyanocobalamin was
repleted (though he initially objected), and he was
treated with multivitamin, iron and mineral therapy,
and fluoxetine.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: i think i just read an article in an eating disorder journal about kulvinskas
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 15, 2015 08:46PM

comment on bulimia here with a followup by dr flora below

[www.curezone.org]

Re: i think i just read an article in an eating disorder journal about kulvinskas
Date: February 15, 2015 08:57PM

I believe he has also admitted to a diagnosis of Schizotypal PD or something like it.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 15, 2015 09:04PM

I heard him say by his own book that he did have bulimia. A big issue with it. I think this was before raw.

Bulimia can be cured by raw foods because the food you eat does not make you feel fat, gives you energy. So even if you pigged out on raw vegan foods you will still feel slim and slender, like a child does.

Now, what about the raw vegan who binges on cooked food then throws it up? That is what I think was happening, with my intuition.

So he needed b12 injections?

Its not his journal is it?

In my experience, bulimia does not work for weight loss and it destroys your teeth all at once. I was addicted to the show INTERVENTION and specifically the bulimia ones. Man what an illness. GET THESE GIRLS ON RAW VEGAN FOODS NOW

It sounds like him. He is a math geek and yes he was married to Youkta. Remember her guys? Swept through his life! and Vanished with a whiff of her bellydancing scarves

Look at her bellydancing to the song, " Viktoras, I am gone with the wind fabulous!"

YOUKTA VIDEO

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 09:09PM by coconutcream.

Date: February 15, 2015 09:07PM

Mado I do not know if this was him. But he has some parallel history with the case study in this paper.

He must have been very compelling in his prime. His wife was a very beautiful sexpot, like you.

Date: February 15, 2015 09:11PM

Arugula we are all sexpots. The raw vegan diet brings this out in us. All of us. with love.

Yes that is some serious 70's raw vegan vibrations, what it was all about back then. Sprouts and Rejuvelac out your ass. Swinging and Guacamale, is how he spells guacamole in all his books.

At Raw SPirit I saw him, I had a choice between watching him speak and the Tree of life food demo, and I really wanted to see my old friends so I missed out.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 09:19PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 15, 2015 09:11PM

I believe TSM once shared that Kulvinskas suffered from many health problems and as soon as he started to consistently take AFA blue-green algae, his psychological issues cleared up and he was able to get a handle on his diet and start eating much healthier.

Date: February 15, 2015 09:13PM

WOW. blue green algae I want some now,

John Stossel slaughtered him on the orthorexia episode.

Here are a few things you may not know about the "father of the living foods movement".

He suffered such trauma and abuse during his childhood that he didn't speak until the age of 16.
As a high school student he won awards in maths and physics and after graduating from college he worked on contracts for the Apollo Mission, the Smithsonian Institute and Harvard.
He discovered the raw and living foods lifestyle at the age of 29 after stress brought on a health crisis combined with rapid aging.
After going raw he battled builimia for 10 years - a result, he said, of unresolved emotional issues coming to the surface due to the detoxifying effects of his new lifestyle. In the interview he reveals the superfood that cured his eating disorder in one month.
His wife, the beautiful dancer Vihara Youkta, died suddenly last year. In the interview he talks about her life and her legacy and the factors to which he attributes her tragic and untimely death.
He is one of the world's leading authorities on enzymes and trains medical staff in enzyme therapy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 09:23PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: February 15, 2015 09:25PM

I do not believe that is Kulvinskas, he is a sproutarian not a fruitarian. The mention of eating meat on the sly seems to be a common thing for people on deficient raw food diets, and many fruitarian/natural hygiene gurus were said to eat cooked food and meat when they thought no one was watching.

Sproutarians do not need to do such things, as the sproutarian diet provides everything the body needs smiling smiley

Date: February 15, 2015 09:26PM

THIS AFTERNOON
I tore out a page of his book Living in the 21 first century just today just this morning, so my daughters can color in the 70's illustrations with paint in their fairy garden.

So yes, I know who he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 09:27PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: February 16, 2015 04:15AM

Viktoras introduced me to the whole alternative dietary trip, such a powerful speaker when I saw him in the 80's. He is now blind though, so what's up, sprouts are not supplying everything?

Date: February 16, 2015 04:25AM

NuNativs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Viktoras introduced me to the whole alternative
> dietary trip, such a powerful speaker when I saw
> him in the 80's. He is now blind though, so what's
> up, sprouts are not supplying everything?

maybe sungazing?

Date: February 16, 2015 07:08AM

NuNativs Wrote:
> Viktoras introduced me to the whole alternative
> dietary trip, such a powerful speaker when I saw
> him in the 80's. He is now blind though, so what's
> up, sprouts are not supplying everything?

Viktoras doesn't do the sprout diet near as well as l believe he could be. His diet is based on some sprouted greens, sprouted legumes, sprouted grains (a big promotor of sprouted wheat), some fruit and small baked foods like a yam etc. No sprouted seeds and things l think are highly important in order to do a really good diet for a person with health issues. He believes in low fat and restricts his dietary practises because of this.

He was catatonic schizophrenic, had bulemia from childhood, had social disorders where he couldn't be around people and chose to remain in silenece for many years. He had a thick file on his mental disorders in the psychiatric hospital and was born autistic. I believe he also has/had cataracts.

He says AFA blue algae saved his life and for the first time ever stabilised his eating. I should however mention that he was a distributor for AFA at the time and still might be, but my impression is that he is not money hungry at all...his coaching fees are very modest and he doesn't live to sell sell sell. He seems to have given a lot to people over the years and he cares. He is not your average money and publicity hungry raw fooder by any means because he is enlightened and understands his true path because he is aware of the bigger picture. He is also an Essene minister. I love this man...you can feel his love and passion. I have read his books by far more than any others. He made me dream big, and allowed me to see how life was supposed to be like. He is the raw fooders raw fooder, same went with Dr Ann....they are the King and Queen of the raw food lifestyle, and there are very few equals.

If it wasn't for Dr Ann and Vik l would have never went into raw foods. If it wasn't for Vik, l wouldn't have been able to stay in raw foods. If it wasn't for Vik and Dr Ann, l wouldn't have wanted to do raw foods. For me it is the sprout diet or nothing, my heart is in no other diet. No other raw food diet is of any interest to me at all, and l would have no desire or will power to want to do any other raw diet. It's either a raw sprout diet or l go back to cooked vegan and struggle along. The last thing l would want to do is eat raw fruits and vegetables the rest of my life, urkk. When l saw the sprouts and grasses I WAS HOOKED and knew that was going to be my life!!!...if l didn't like it, l would learn to like it lol.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 07:15AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 16, 2015 12:04PM

So with all of the good raw and living foods he ate, why is he blind now?

One big problem with raw food gurus is that they all think the body needs nutrients x, y, and z and they end up eating so much the body is always overburden with foods.

Simplicity and fasting are keys.

Some monks who live on bread live longer and healthier

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 12:07PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: February 16, 2015 12:16PM

I don't think that they eat like they say they do. They might eat like that some of the time when somebody is watching. If they get stuck in a rut and it's the only way they can make a living they will keep on promoting things that they themselves don't do.

On the whole, populations that eat a lot of plants, eat enough, and don't develop and deficiencies will do much better than people eating garbage.

But that does not mean that they will never get sick or have problems.

Food is only part of the picture.

There are also stress, genetics, other lifestyle factors, how social and happy one is, how much support and money one has, etc. It sounds as if VK had a huge deck stacked against him and he was searching for a way to make his life better when he found raw food.

I like learning about food and what it can do but in the end it's only food.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 16, 2015 12:20PM

Based on his videos it looks to me like he has dementia and other problems. People can get very good at concealing such things well into their decline.

Date: February 16, 2015 09:45PM

Vik's genetics would play a huge part. He did have the deck stacked against him but he has managed to function in this world much better on the raw food diet. I imagine that if he was on SAD that he;'d be a complete mess.

Eating raw foods with bad genetics can limit the effects of the diet because nutrients etc are not as well utilised.

If he has dementia, maybe he could consume more omega 3's in his diet. He is low fat and could do with more nutritional support imo.

Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: February 17, 2015 11:29PM

I don't mean to sound like a raw noob or anything, but I don't understand why so many people would follow his advice? I'm yet to see a single image of him looking healthy (I'm not being ageist here- there are many photos of older men/women doing raw who look quite vibrant- most of the pics I've seen of him, he looks borderline ill).

So why do so many people adore him? What's in his books that makes everyone love him so much?

(Genuine question)..

Posted by: CommonSenseRaw ()
Date: February 18, 2015 12:05AM

He has good understanding of raw living and many things against him at the start

Date: February 18, 2015 12:23AM

bluespixie Wrote:

>
> So why do so many people adore him? What's in his
> books that makes everyone love him so much?
>
> (Genuine question)..

Because he has a wisdom and knowledge very few raw food leaders could even dream of. He sees the big picture and promotes it in a way that very few raw leaders are capable of because he is enlightened. Viktoras is a complete and utter legend and the grand daddy of raw foods, and very few will ever compare to him in this lifetime. Comared to Vik most raw food leaders are like little boys pushing raw food lifestyle 101. Vik is the man and will ALWAYS be the man!!!

Bravo brother Viktoras, thanks for being a legend. His light shines brighter than bright, and you can't tell me many raw leaders have that light. Vik is the king mate!

The only other person l can think of who compares to Vik is Gabriel Cousens, but Vik had the wisdom from the early days....and by golly, those mighty halls of Hippocrates helped create the legend he was to become. The mighty halls of Hippocrates were also gave us the might of Rev Ann Wigmore, the greatest raw fooder there ever was. Wow...talk about a bunch of massive legends, it makes my head spin thinking about it. The light has brought us these people and l will be forever greatful for their gift to mankind.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 12:32AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 18, 2015 12:31AM

yet according to you he doesn't eat right. weird.

Date: February 18, 2015 12:45AM

fresh Wrote:
> yet according to you he doesn't eat right. weird.

You don't get it, most never will understand the might that is Viktoras. Vik was the man who helped make me who l am, he told us how a raw lifestyle needs to be when one is with the light, he spread love and compassion to all who would listen and embrace it...if it wasn't for him and Dr Ann l would be on the scrapheap and likely dead. Speaking with Vik was my greatest dream come true and the memory will give me a high for a lifetime.

I used to write Vik letters in the old days and they were never answered. I then found out that they were to his old address. I think l even tried to call him back then too.

Vik and Ann started it, now the light has told me to carry on their excellent work in their spirit. Dr Ann's spirit lives through me and l am the younger version of Vik and Dr Ann. Wow, what an honour to be asked to carry on their teachings...the higher powers asked me 20 years ago, but l said no because l didn't feel capable and worthy of such an honour, but a few years ago they said "it's time", and boy oh boy, i've taken that bull by the horns and am on the ride of my life. I'm riding high on the backs of the kings and am delivering the message in a way it needs to be told. *pumps up fist with a rrrrr sound*

I think l may have had the opportunity to go to Vik's house once too. I was invited by Vik's friend to Vik's conference to talk about raw living foods near where he lived. Never had a passport and missed the opportunity, such a shame. A real missed opportunity to be in the company of the great raw food daddy.

*dunno what the backs of the kings are, but it sounds good lol*

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 12:51AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 18, 2015 01:00AM

bluespixie Wrote:
> I don't mean to sound like a raw noob or anything,
> but I don't understand why so many people would
> follow his advice? I'm yet to see a single image
> of him looking healthy (I'm not being ageist here-
> there are many photos of older men/women doing raw
> who look quite vibrant- most of the pics I've seen
> of him, he looks borderline ill).
>
> So why do so many people adore him? What's in his
> books that makes everyone love him so much?
>
> (Genuine question)..

I don't understand the phenomena either. I don't see any charisma there at all. Back in the 80's, when I got sick, there were pretty much only two alternative paths for me to choose from which were only to be found, at that time for me, at the local health food store - the Ann Wigmore route or the mucus-less diet route. I rejected the Ann Wigmore route because I needed gluten free.

The next time I heard of Ann Wigmore or any of these other "raw" vegan characters was after I myself went raw from seeing how to do it by following a few un-cookbooks. In fact I had never even heard the term "raw vegan" until a few years ago when someone who was busy canning her chickens called herself "high raw" on another website and I asked her what that meant.

Date: February 18, 2015 02:00AM

My former next door neighbors were a very proper, late 80s older woman from high society Boston and her middle-aged daughter who looked geriatric. It was very clear that the mother had almost complete control over the daughter.

The daughter appeared to be mentally challenged, with lethargic, limited movements and somewhat impaired speech as if it took great effort to speak. Yet she drove, she had an AA degree from the community college, and she had impeccable manners.

I knew something was up but it wasn't until the mother died that I found out what it was. The son had come into town for the funeral and showed me a picture of his sister, who used to be young, vivacious, and cute.

In her late teens, she started hearing voices. Her parents were so afraid that a man would take advantage of her that they immediately took her to the psychiatrist and kept her on very high doses of thorazine from that point on. I had met her when she had been on thorazine for over 30 years. It made me cry.

Antipsychotics are horrible drugs and horribly aging. Maybe that's what happened to Vik to keep his schizophrenia under control. I can't say which is worse--the drug or the disease-- but as a class antipsychotics are incredibly damaging.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 02:02AM by arugula.

Date: February 18, 2015 08:33AM

Wild and wooly Vik in the old days. When l saw that picture l was HOOKED and knew l had to live like that. The grasses, the sprouts, the simple folk...all top stuff. The most influencial picture l have probably ever come across, and one of my favourire pictures. What a beauty! How classic is that folks.

I just had to find out what it felt like to live on that food. At the time the food seemed bizarre and it seemed crazy that people grew and ate food like that. Then l read about Vik and Ann eating weeds and that really tickled my fancy, so l did it too. Good dinner, the best dinners ever for the best day ever.

Used to love the old pictures of the mansion with Ann Wigmore growing the wheatgrass with those funny looking stone cats in the kitchen, talk about quaint. LOVED IT!!! Loved Dr Ann's old fashioned haircut too, it was a beauty! Lots of 1970's dag...right up my alley, perfection.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 08:34AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 18, 2015 08:47AM

Here is a really special treat for everyone, Dr Ann growing her wheatgrass with `the stone dog'. She also had that snoopy stuffed toy dog on the wall, the old plate and that statue thing above ole snoopy. And of course those old fashioned 60's floors. smiling smiley

Now THAT is the type of haircut l like, nice and homely and reeel old fashioned. All the old ladies used to wear those.

Doesn't get better than that. Classic!

btw, it was not the stone cats like mentioned in the previous post, it was `the stone dog'. Woot woot. smoking smileyspinning smiley sticking its tongue outgrinning smiley

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2015 08:49AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: February 18, 2015 10:37AM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:

> Used to love the old pictures of the mansion with
> Ann Wigmore growing the wheatgrass with those
> funny looking stone cats in the kitchen, talk
> about quaint. LOVED IT!!! Loved Dr Ann's old
> fashioned haircut too, it was a beauty! Lots of
> 1970's dag...right up my alley, perfection.
>
> [i19.photobucket.com]
> %207/Ann_Wigmore_Viktoras_zps2ebd8bbb.jpg

I just see a dowdy plain woman and a guy with Charlie Manson eyes.

Date: February 18, 2015 10:52AM

He he, Viktoras did look pretty crazy eyed in that picture. The stare.

He brought sunflower greens, buckwheat lettuce and AFA blue algae into the mainstream. He bought a 100 pound sack of sunflower that was supposed to be shelled, but it wasn't so he sat there for hours trying to shell them all, but he got sick of it and threw them all in the compost. A week later he went back to the compost to discover all these sunflower greens, and the rest is history. Before then Dr Ann was all about wheatgrass according to Brian Clement, but after a few years of trying to get her to add other greens in she eventually introduced other microgreens in the HHI program.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: February 18, 2015 12:33PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:
> He he, Viktoras did look pretty crazy eyed in that
> picture. The stare.
>
> He brought sunflower greens, buckwheat lettuce and
> AFA blue algae into the mainstream. He bought a
> 100 pound sack of sunflower that was supposed to
> be shelled, but it wasn't so he sat there for
> hours trying to shell them all, but he got sick of
> it and threw them all in the compost. A week later
> he went back to the compost to discover all these
> sunflower greens, and the rest is history. Before
> then Dr Ann was all about wheatgrass according to
> Brian Clement, but after a few years of trying to
> get her to add other greens in she eventually
> introduced other microgreens in the HHI program.

I remember seeing a video of him talking about how things were at HHI early on when Ann wasn't even yet sprouting her grains before fermenting them. He must have said something about moldy stuff that was also growing there in the food at the points the video was suddenly edited. At least that seemed to be what he was implying just before the editing when he was saying they were lucky.

What in Ann's diet was it that made her overweight? Did she eat huge amounts of grain and seeds or was it something else? Did she ever talk about it?

Date: February 18, 2015 08:01PM

SueZ Wrote:

> What in Ann's diet was it that made her
> overweight? Did she eat huge amounts of grain and
> seeds or was it something else? Did she ever talk
> about it?

That is such a good question and l have always wondered about that too. I will ask a few people who knew her well and see if they can give me an answer. Ann never talked about it.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables