Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Living longer on SAD?
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 25, 2006 09:19AM

Hi!

I had a guest here on my center and he came up with a strange statement:

He said that he was talking with a "food expert" and he said that, the more refined and modern food we have eaten the last centuries, we have been getting higher in years/age.

That is true that we have been beginning to getting older since the medieval ages (people died around 30-40 in the 1500th century).

Why do you think we're getting older? He had a hard time accepting the theory that when you eat healthier, you don't live any longer (death not caused by sickness).

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Living longer on SAD?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 25, 2006 01:10PM

But that's a change from one type of cooked food to another type of cooked food, it doesn't give any indication of the effect raw food would have.

Also, life length is not the most important thing, would you prefer to live to 100 but really ill, in hospital a lot and taking medicine every day, or die at 70 but in perfect health?

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 25, 2006 03:26PM

Better pre- and post-natal care, better living conditions, better sanitation, better treatment for diseases in childhood, better sterilization techniques, and near elimination of diseases of poverty: malaria, measles, fatal diarrhea, tuberculosis, etc. and also malnutrition (many people just can't get enough kcals, or are restricted to very poor grain based diets with few legumes, little f+v.) have all pushed out life expectancy higher and higher.

But it seems that we are at or near the peak and it's going to drop, due to the the obesity epidemic which is strongly correlated with type II diabetes, CHD, CVD, certain types of cancers, etc.

You probably don't live longer just by eating "healthier"--you just "square the curve" by lowering the chances of dying of certain elective (lifestyle-related) diseases. But if you cut kcals while keeping the nutrient intakes high enough, that will probably let you live a little bit longer. And if you also make most of your kcals raw, that might also help, too. And of course you need to exercise, that will also help.

Put them all together: cut kcals, keep nutrition high, make it mostly raw, and exercise enough, and you have very powerful disease protection and you will probably be in much better shape at advanced ages compared to your SAD peers the same age.

But it's very difficult to prove this, and even if you end up looking way better than your buds at 40-50 or so and beyond, they will have the tendency to chalk it up to genetics and not your (and their) lifestyle(s). At least, that's my experience!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/25/2006 03:27PM by arugula.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 26, 2006 09:55AM

Thank you for your answers.

You're Rawk!

Posted by: Stormyone66 ()
Date: December 27, 2006 02:26AM

I sheepishly must ask...what are kcals?

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 27, 2006 03:10AM

killer calories. You gotta watch out for them, they're after you;-)

Or it could be kilocalorie, the unit used to measure how much energy there is in food, a kilocalorie being 1000 calories.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: December 27, 2006 01:54PM

Modern medicine has created many ways for us to live longer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables