Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
High fat diets and dementia
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 16, 2015 05:54PM

Another blow to the high fat diets. AGEs are high in fatty foods. Oils go through the roof. A high fat diet could be detrimental for a healthy mind in the later years 60+.

Measured AGEs in foods (highest on fatty foods): [www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

[nutritionfacts.org]

Each of us has 6 billion miles of DNA. How does our body keep it from getting all tangled up? There are special proteins called histones, which act like spools and DNA is the thread. Enzymes called sirtuins wrap the DNA around the histones and by doing so silence whatever genes were in that stretch of DNA, hence their name SIRtuins, which stands for silencing information regulator.

Although they were discovered only about a decade ago, the study of sirtuins has become one of the most promising areas of biomedicine, since they appear to be involved in promoting healthy aging and longevity. Suppression of this key host defense is considered a central feature of Alzheimer’s disease.

Autopsies of Alzheimer’s victims reveal that loss of sirtuin activity is closely associated with the accumulation of the plaques and tangles in the brain that’s characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease. Sirtuin appears to activate pathways that steer the brain away from the formation of plaque and tangle proteins. Because a decrease in sirtuin activity can clearly have deleterious effects on nerve health, they’re trying to come up with drugs to increase sirtuin activity, but why not just prevent its suppression in the first place.

Glycotoxins in our food suppress sirtuin activity, these so-called advanced glycation end products, or AGE’s. Our modern diet include excessive AGE’s, which can be neurotoxic. High levels in the blood may predict cognitive decline over time

If you measure the urine levels of glycotoxins flowing through the bodies of older adults, those with the highest levels went on to suffer the greatest cognitive decline over the subsequent nine years.

As we age our brain literally shrinks. In our 60's and 70's we lose an average of five cubic centimeters of total brain tissue volume every year, but some lose more than others. Brain atrophy may be reduced in very healthy individuals. And a few people don’t lose any brain at all. Normally we lose about 2% of brain volume every year, but that’s just the average. Although the average brain loss for folks in their 70's and 80's was 2.1%, some lost more, some lost less, and some men and lost none at all over a period of four years.

Researchers in Australia provided the first evidence linking AGEs with this kind of cerebral brain loss. So limiting one’s consumption of these compounds may end up having significant public health benefits.

Because sirtuin deficiency is both preventable and reversible by dietary AGE reduction, a therapeutic strategy that includes eating less AGE's may offer a new strategy to combat the epidemic of Alzheimer’s.

Some glycotoxins are produced internally, particularly in diabetics, but anyone can get them from smoking and eating, particularly foods high in fat and protein.

In a previous video I listed the 15 foods most contaminated with glycotoxins, mostly chicken, but also pork, beef, and fish, which may help explain why those that eat the most meat may have triple the triple the risk of getting dementia compared to long-time vegetarians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: High fat diets and dementia
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 16, 2015 06:03PM

"Our modern diet include excessive AGE’s, which can be neurotoxic."

1.) Raw food diet isn't the modern diet.
2.) What is "excessive"?

"Another blow to the high fat diets. AGEs are high in fatty foods. Oils go through the roof. "

1.) You've admitted to eating 1-2 cups of nuts per day.
2.) There's no information regarding the quality of oils used on that AGE list and most of them were cooked.

Does Michael Greger ever talk about anything other than high-fat animal product diets?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 16, 2015 06:18PM

It's probably junk fat. But I think it's important to consider that while not all fats are equal, they may all some similar properties, i.e. being lipid soluble is a very important quality.

While fatty foods cooked in fast-food deep fryers that have been through 100s of cooking cycles are tremendously bad for health (especially if eaten often), they are still fat. Still soluble in fat, still not soluble in water. Like healthy undamaged fats, they can still go places where healthy undamaged fats can go, too. What I am trying to say is that undamaged fats and raw fats still have a great deal in common.

I'd also be cautious about thinking that undamaged fats are purely safe. Where you have fat, you have lipid peroxidation, and those lipid peroxidation products are leading to high measures of AGEs (in this case, CML) which are present even in the raw avocado and uncooked nuts/seeds.

I'd be cautious about thinking that just because it's raw, there's nothing to worry about.

I avoid excess in all things except for maybe variety and leaves. But even there I am going out on a limb. The one foodstuff that is almost assuredly safe in massive quantities based on what I have read is the cooked sweet potato. Okinwanan centenarians did really well with it as the majority of their calories.

We don't have any high fat super centenarian populations. It's risky.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 06:21PM by arugula.

Date: February 16, 2015 06:42PM

"I'd also be cautious about thinking that undamaged fats are purely safe. Where you have fat, you have lipid peroxidation, and those lipid peroxidation products are leading to high measures of AGEs (in this case, CML) which are present even in the raw avocado and uncooked nuts/seeds."

The definition of an advanced glycation end product is the addition of a carbohydrate to a protein without the involvement of an enzyme. Does anyone know what enzyme this is referring to? I would like to see the AGE content of sprouted nuts/seeds versus unsprouted nuts/seeds, maybe since sprouting significantly increases enzymatic activity, AGE content is significantly diminished? Also, we must be aware of the various ways the body gets rid of AGE's.

"We don't have any high fat super centenarian populations. It's risky."

That's also not the only measuring factor when it comes to long-lived populations, either. Most of these populations eat plant-based diets as well.

Date: February 16, 2015 06:52PM

jtprindl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Our modern diet include excessive AGE’s, which
> can be neurotoxic."
>
> 1.) Raw food diet isn't the modern diet.

The following is a measurement. There is no room for philosophical debates.

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

AGES otal MG nmol/100 mL Total CML kU/100 mL
Olive oil, fresh (Colavita, Linden, NJ)	7,700	5,852
Olive oil, heated at 100°C for 5 min (Colavita, Linden, NJ)	9,700	6,295

I also remeber that "coldpress" olive oil did not help at all. It was high in AGEs.

Date: February 16, 2015 06:57PM

"The following is a measurement. There is no room for philosophical debates."

I know you'd like it to be that way, but that's not the case. There is no mention of whether that olive oil is refined or highly processed. We know nothing about the quality of oil being used so we can't make any serious conclusions about the data. Extra-virgin olive oil contains many powerful phytochemicals associated with longevity, so even if we wanted to assume that the absolute best quality olive oil was used for these AGE charts, you have to consider the risk-benefit factor.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:03PM

your argument is weak. You automatically assume the test was made with olive oil with bad qualities but you don't know. However, it does say that the olive oil was fresh. Anybody can have pop ideas to try to make things look bad. It just happen that you dont have any evidence to your arguments. Nobody on the mediterranean diet ate this superfresh-unrefined oil you imagine. Positive tests of olive oil were made with regular plain oil. And all olive oils are processed foods.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 07:06PM by Panchito.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:05PM

"but you don't know."

Either do you, hence why I said "We know nothing about the quality of oil being used so we can't make any serious conclusions about the data".

Extra-virgin olive oil contains many powerful phytochemicals associated with longevity, so even if we wanted to assume that the absolute best quality olive oil was used for these AGE charts, you have to consider the risk-benefit factor.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:05PM

jtprindl Wrote:

> The definition of an advanced glycation end
> product is the addition of a carbohydrate to a
> protein without the involvement of an enzyme. Does
> anyone know what enzyme this is referring to?

glycotransferases. Enzymes just speed up reactions.

>I
> would like to see the AGE content of sprouted
> nuts/seeds versus unsprouted nuts/seeds, maybe
> since sprouting significantly increases enzymatic
> activity, AGE content is significantly diminished?

Not for the reasons that you think, but because as
the sprout grows, it uses up most of the lipid content
of the seed. As the lipid content reduces, so does the
AGE content.

> Also, we must be aware of the various ways the
> body gets rid of AGE's.

Prevention is better than cure.

> That's also not the only measuring factor when it
> comes to long-lived populations, either. Most of
> these populations eat plant-based diets as well.

Yes, they all do eat mostly plants. But there aren't
any high fat diets among them.

There's a lot more to be learned than reading abstracts
posted from the LEF website. They have a profit motive
and their purpose is to try to get people to buy their
products.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:14PM

"Yes, they all do eat mostly plants. But there aren't
any high fat diets among them."

There also aren't any vegan or 100% raw food diets among them either.

"glycotransferases. Enzymes just speed up reactions."

Right but it seems that the more enzymes present, the less chance of AGE's being formed. Maybe that's why Lou Corona, who eats lots of fat, looks very young - he consumes lots of systemic enzymes.

"Not for the reasons that you think, but because as
the sprout grows, it uses up most of the lipid content
of the seed. As the lipid content reduces, so does the
AGE content."

Yes I was also aware of this but that doesn't necessarily mean the enzyme content doesn't play a factor. Also, that's another thing to consider with the sample diet I provided before, I only eat sprouted flax and sunflower so the fat content is likely less than what was shown on CRON-O-Meter. I don't think it has too much of an impact on total ALA, though, but not sure.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2015 07:15PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:24PM

There also aren't any vegan or 100% raw food diets among them either.

This is an excellent observation. I think that very few people can maintain a 100% raw food vegan diet in the long term. I do cooked legumes. I take B12 and D supplements. A lot of the CR people eat very little raw food and they have great biomarkers and look young,too.

Right but it seems that the more enzymes present, the less chance of AGE's being formed.

It depends on the specific enzyme. Some will speed up glycosylation and some will have other jobs for the growing seedling.

Maybe that's why Lou Corona, who eats lots of fat, looks very young - he consumes lots of systemic enzymes.

I would not say it's the enzymes, but I do not know the other details of his diet and lifestyle for the last 39 years. The only thing that shows his age is his neck.

Date: February 16, 2015 07:33PM

"I would not say it's the enzymes, but I do not know the other details of his diet and lifestyle for the last 39 years."

I don't know, the large amount of enzymes and fermented foods seems to the one consistent factor in his diet over all these years.

"Some will speed up glycosylation and some will have other jobs for the growing seedling."

I wouldn't be surprised if some also inhibit glycosylation.

"A lot of the CR people eat very little raw food and they have great biomarkers and look young,too."

What is the definition of calorie restriction in these studies? Is it under X amount of calories in general or is it based upon the individual?

Date: February 16, 2015 08:08PM

jtprindl Wrote:

> Right but it seems that the more enzymes present,
> the less chance of AGE's being formed. Maybe
> that's why Lou Corona, who eats lots of fat, looks
> very young.

Maybe there is another explanation. He seems to have lots of subcutaneous fat from his high fat diet. The subcutaneous fat acts as a filler that smoothes the wrinkles out. He also seems to have some belly fat and always wear a tubular Pavarotty style shirt (a curtain). If he were to wear a belt, maybe he would look fatter.

Date: February 16, 2015 08:08PM

[www.scientificpsychic.com]

"In animal experiments, scientists divide a set of genetically homogeneous animals into an experimental group and a control group. They measure how much a control group eats, and then use that amount as the basis for determining how much to feed the experimental CR group, e.g., 30% less, etc."

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 16, 2015 08:13PM

Panchito Wrote:

>
> Maybe there is another explanation. He seems to
> have lots of subcutaneous fat from his high fat
> diet. The subcutaneous fat acts as a filler that
> smoothes the wrinkles out. He also seems to have
> some belly fat and always wear a tubular Pavarotty
> style shirt (a curtain). If he were to wear a
> belt, maybe he would look fatter.

yes that is more likely.

and then there's genetics too

i have to admit though, DG seems to have aged rapidly.

Date: February 16, 2015 08:17PM

Lou Corona doesn't look fat at all lol but he also has a head full of black hair in his mid-60's.

Date: February 16, 2015 08:18PM

There are also peels, lasers, dermal fillers, tretinoin, and tazarotene.

I have my suspicions about some of the over 40s with delectably smooth skin. I will not mention any names but it is interesting to see how smooth they became compared to 3 years ago.

Date: February 16, 2015 08:53PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Lou Corona doesn't look fat at all lol but he also
> has a head full of black hair in his mid-60's.

he's definitely holding some extra fat - seen him without shirt in pool
he is a good gymnast.

but then again i just saw a guy in his 80's who was just as good - non raw.

Date: February 16, 2015 08:55PM

jtprindl Wrote:
> Lou Corona doesn't look fat at all lol but he also
> has a head full of black hair in his mid-60's.

ever heard of hair dye?

brian C dyes his hair too

Date: February 16, 2015 08:59PM

fresh Wrote:
> jtprindl Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Lou Corona doesn't look fat at all lol but he
> also
> > has a head full of black hair in his mid-60's.
>
>
> ever heard of hair dye?
>
> brian C dyes his hair too

Evidence?

Date: February 16, 2015 09:03PM

in the video where brian was being interviewed by the reporter. brown dye.

Date: February 16, 2015 09:12PM

fresh Wrote:
> in the video where brian was being interviewed by
> the reporter. brown dye.

What video? He admitted it or you're just guessing?

Date: February 16, 2015 11:13PM

where the reporter was questioning him about him being recently sued.

what's to guess about? he has black hair, and it was dyed brown in the front to remove the gray.

Date: February 16, 2015 11:19PM

I mentioned it, too, a couple of weeks ago. In every video he has a different color of hair. I don't know if he is blonde, brunette, redhead, all of the above, some of the above, or none of the above. I couldn't decide!

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 17, 2015 10:41AM

On certain hair colors, especially those with a lot of red in them like Brian Clement's, a lot of what may appear to be dyeing is heavily reliant on lighting conditions when photographed and natural sun bleaching.

I see no evidence that he Clement is dyeing his hair.

Date: February 17, 2015 10:53AM

brunette
[www.youtube.com]

blonde with dark roots
[www.youtube.com]

light blonde
[www.youtube.com]

Date: February 17, 2015 11:10AM

arugula Wrote:
> brunette
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> blonde with dark roots
> [www.youtube.com]
>
> light blonde
> [www.youtube.com]

Lighting and sun bleaching cannot be ruled out at all with these videos.

In the video you've called "blond with dark roots" the variation is due to the extreme angles of his hair style catching the light differently combined with what photography does with color.

Date: February 17, 2015 04:01PM

dude dyes his hair. come on now.

Date: February 17, 2015 04:21PM

fresh Wrote:
> dude dyes his hair. come on now.

Outside in in the sun in the summer my hair looks that light.

Indoor photos and my hair looks that dark. I do not dye my hair. That's how it is with certain colors of hair and photography with reds.

Date: February 17, 2015 05:05PM

good. show us a picture

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables