Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

80/10/10 & vegies
Posted by: ljbn ()
Date: December 25, 2006 09:15PM

I'm wondering how people are experiencing living the 80/10/10 way? What are your typical meals & days like? Are you eating many vegetables or greens or lettuces? Are you eating mostly sweet fruits? Do you include fruit-vegy's? What is your activity level like? Are there any folks out there that aren't athletes or athletic doing this? How are you finding eating 80/10/10 has become a lifestyle change as well? Do you visit or prepare or eat higher fat raw meals and how often? Are you using Nutridiary or a similar program as a guide to see how you are doing? Overall how are your Nutridiary numbers, for instance my goal is 80/10/10 but most of the time I'm under that at 86/6/8?

Thats my 20 questions for today!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 80/10/10 & vegies
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 25, 2006 09:41PM

I'm not doing 80/10/10, my diet is more like 60C25F15P and that's spartan enough for me. I did 10% fat for a few months about ten years ago and I found it to be torture. I went on a binge and that was the end of that. I don't want to be in an eating pattern that constantly makes me want to binge. I can live with my current pattern (except for the costs, which are too high for my liking) but I am open to new ideas.

To get to 10% protein, you will have to include lots of nonsweet fruit and leaves. I mean a lot, like 8-10 pounds worth per day. Maybe if you emphasize the higher protein fruit choices (certain types of berries, guava as recently pointed out) you can get away with 4-5 pounds of nonsweet fruit and leaves.

To get to 10% fat is a lot easier, only a tiny revision is necessary: just add one brazil nut and one teaspoon of avocado for every 1300 kcal or so.

It seems to me that 80/10/10 works out a lot better when a lot of physical activity is also taking place--this makes the kcal budget much higher, which leads to a greater likelihood of satisfying most micronutrient needs.

I think that limiting fats and proteins (but still ensuring that adequate levels are maintained) is better for various reasons but this is still an area subject to much heated debate. I wish I had the intestinal fortitude to stick with
it myself. Or at least try another experiment.

Options: ReplyQuote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables