Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Screwed up, now I can't seem to get my system back in balance
Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: February 20, 2015 08:59PM

I recently switched over from a cooked vegan candida diet to a modified version of 80/10/10 (no overts, still consume salt & seaweeds). I spent a week focusing on fruits and greens, no cooked foods or starchy vegetables, and in just three days all of my candida symptoms were gone. I was floored - it takes at least three months following my old regimine to take away the chronic itching and pain I experience. My digestion also improved, with easier and more frequent elimination, and I was also less fatigued during the day.

However, I quickly got carried away and foolishly started to test my limits, eating cooked grains and legumes in social situations. BIG mistake. I have since (over a month now) been experiencing chronic yeast infections and constipation again. I have not touched grains or potatoes in several weeks and have no desire to do so again. But no food seems to agree with me now, to the point where I am losing my appetite. There is nothing happy or pleasurable about meal times anymore.

Also, I have been experiencing insomnia since starting 80/10/10, even before I ate the grains. Though this is not a candida issue, it is certainly problematic. My emotions have also been getting the best of me - I know this can be a symptom of detox. However, I was not prepared for the anxiety and paranoia I have been experiencing lately. I have also been experiencing cravings for fish so intense that it drove me to tears, which I admit to giving in to. I have been eating a little sashimi now about twice a week for the last two weeks. Perhaps this was not the "right" choice, but since I have added this to my diet it has helped with the paranoia. I am treating this as a transitional food until I figure out what's triggering these emotions and how to better cope with them. I do not mean to upset anyone by mentioning this, as I had been a vegan for ethical reasons myself, but I think it is relevant.

I am open to the idea of fasting or cleansing, but am not sure how to go about this. Right now, it seems that I'm just eating out of habit. There are so many ways to go about this, it seems - juice fasting, water fasting, mono-dieting, orange juice cleanse, master cleanse... but even after, what am I to do next? I am not convinced that it is the fruit itself aggrivating my candida, as it would have almost certainly triggered an infection immediately. To experience RELIEF while feasting on fruit says alot to me.

I will to try Gabriel Cousens' Rainbow-Green diet, though will note that I felt even worse on a low-carb diet and progress was SLOW. Does Rainbow-Green simply minimize the symptoms, or can it actually help one get over their candida?

Note: I do take daily probiotics

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Screwed up, now I can't seem to get my system back in balance
Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: February 20, 2015 09:35PM

hypoglycemia can cure candida but also cause insomnia. Neurons live exclusively from glucose. A diet of only fruits could cause hypoglycemia in some people (quick short peak and long trough of glucose).

[en.wikipedia.org]

symptoms

Abnormal thinking, impaired judgment
Nonspecific dysphoria, moodiness, depression, crying, exaggerated concerns
Negativism, irritability, belligerence, combativeness, rage
Personality change, emotional lability
Fatigue, weakness, apathy, lethargy, daydreaming, sleep
Confusion, amnesia, lightheadedness or dizziness, delirium.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 20, 2015 10:15PM

make garlic your best friend if you have candida

Date: February 23, 2015 05:24PM

The moods may sincerely be detox, as I used to have issues with anxiety and paranoia up until I was about twenty. However, it seems easy to dismiss pretty much anything as "detox", so by chance I am dealing with hypoglycemia what might you suggest I do?

Also, why the hell might I be experiencing constipation on 80/10/10?

Date: February 23, 2015 05:30PM

Also, I meant to say that I am considering the Rainbow Green diet as a LAST resort. Would love to know if it can actually help to HEAL candida or just eases the symptoms, as the cooked candida diet seems to do. I literally had NO pain or discomfort in just three days on 80/10/10 - I really hope I can feel so good again.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 24, 2015 04:03PM

Manta91 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The moods may sincerely be detox, as I used to
> have issues with anxiety and paranoia up until I
> was about twenty. However, it seems easy to
> dismiss pretty much anything as "detox", so by
> chance I am dealing with hypoglycemia what might
> you suggest I do?
>
> Also, why the hell might I be experiencing
> constipation on 80/10/10?

salt, seaweed, fish? depends on what else you ate.

>Also, I meant to say that I am considering the Rainbow Green diet as a LAST resort. Would love to know if it can actually help to HEAL candida or just eases the symptoms, as the cooked candida diet seems to do.

why consider something else when 811 was working?

> I literally had NO pain or discomfort in just three days on 80/10/10 - I really hope I can feel so good again.

so go back to 811. no matter what you do there is going to be some discomfort. manage it the best you can and clean out and it will get easier.

Date: February 24, 2015 09:34PM

The reason I'm considering other options is because NOW on 80/10/10 - after trying the starches - I cannot ease my symptoms at all. They are getting worse now, not better, despite avoiding said starches and all fats. I had virtually no symptoms when I first started and stuck to the program, but as of eating starches I can no longer tolerate fruits. I would think this means that the fruit itself is not the issue, but as someone new to raw foods I do not know for sure.

It makes no sense to me to continue 80/10/10 when it is clearly not working for me, at least right now, which is why I'm considering fasting. I don't know if a mono-diet to follow is recommended or necessary, how long I should stick to either, or if anyone who does have more experience than I do may know something useful that I don't. Perhaps I wasn't clear in my previous post.

As to the sodium, are you suggesting that it may be what's causing my digestive issues?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 25, 2015 12:47AM

Manta, very few people (if any) can stick with a raw food 80-10-10 program over the long haul. You're normal.

80-10-10 works great for just about everyone - temporarily.

HOWEVER, fats are not the enemy. Fruits ALSO are not the enemy. BOTH are good foods, especially in their whole food form. My advice is: don't get caught up in the Fat vs Fruit war.

Try adding some chia - at least 1/4 cup per day. Soak it in 1 cup or more of water for at least 10 minutes. Blend it with fruits. Or not. TaDA! No more constipation. Eat some of your chia at each meal, or have all of it at one meal if you like.

Balance out your daily omegas by adding some other whole food fat source(s) - maybe some avocado or and/ or a handful of sunflower seeds.

Eat a Brazil nut or two everyday. You need the selenium.

80-10-10 not working for you? Low carb (the opposite extreme) also not working for you? SOMEbody's trying to tell you something. Really, I think it's YOURbody. Good thing you're listening.

Date: February 25, 2015 12:48AM

Manta91 Wrote:
> The reason I'm considering other options is
> because NOW on 80/10/10 - after trying the
> starches - I cannot ease my symptoms at all. They
> are getting worse now, not better, despite
> avoiding said starches and all fats. I had
> virtually no symptoms when I first started and
> stuck to the program, but as of eating starches I
> can no longer tolerate fruits. I would think this
> means that the fruit itself is not the issue, but
> as someone new to raw foods I do not know for
> sure.
>
> It makes no sense to me to continue 80/10/10 when
> it is clearly not working for me, at least right
> now, which is why I'm considering fasting. I don't
> know if a mono-diet to follow is recommended or
> necessary, how long I should stick to either, or
> if anyone who does have more experience than I do
> may know something useful that I don't. Perhaps I
> wasn't clear in my previous post.
>

it's a little confusing what you've said.

i said go back to 811 because you said it healed candida in 3 days.
doesn't get any better than that.

if other problems have occurred since then you need to just tweak it and figure it out. it's hard for someone to say, do this, do this.

there are many ways to move to a raw diet.

you could get 100 different views from 100 different people

so you might want to just move towards whatever your goal is.

unless you're doing a supervised fast it can be problematic to do on your own.

don't worry about 811 or green diet, or anything else.

do it your way.

a typical raw diet consists of eating raw plants - you need to find your own way, either fast or slow.

but the bottom line is increasing your raw fruits and veggies however you can.
either whole, or blended, or juiced, in that order. all have their benefits depending on the situation.

if you need to eat some cooked for a while, experiment and find the best for you - could be beans or potatoes or rice or cooked veggies.

eat abundantly without forcing anything.

> As to the sodium, are you suggesting that it may
> be what's causing my digestive issues?

that was in reference to your constipation.

Date: February 25, 2015 01:05AM

Why do people experience constipation on 80-10-10?

Maybe because there are deficiencies, and the body is trying to suck out every last bit of nutrient possible before it lets the feces go?

(Add a whole food rich in fats/minerals and whoosh!)

Lack of exercise can cause constipation too, regardless of diet - especially in older people.

Constipation is usually not a detox symptom. It is a starvation symptom. It's also a symptom of fiber insufficiency or dehydration; but Manta, these doesn't appear to apply to you.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 01:11AM by suncloud.

Date: February 25, 2015 03:13AM

manta,

similar to what suncloud said, 801010, especially right away, can be a bit difficult. so don't worry too much about the fat intake as long as you're not going crazy and eating 6 avos a day. i range from 5% to 25%, and i've been doing it a long time, so don't try to be too strict with it. that's what caused you to rebound a bit.

good luck.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:25AM

suncloud Wrote:
> Why do people experience constipation on
> 80-10-10?

I think it would require a lot of juice, which
surprisingly is something that many folks
around here are doing.

A good cure for this would be maybe 3 heads of
romaine lettuce, a cucumber, a carrot, a zucchini,
a red bell pepper, a green bell pepper, some sprouts,
a banana, an orange, an apple, a grapefruit, a peach,
a pear, a watermelon, a handful of berries, 1/4
pineapple, a handful of grapes, a handful of figs, etc.

My dad once made a huge deal over my pregnant mother
eating 7 peaches in a row. That is nothing compared
to my meals.

I think that having to chew, for a long time, is
key. Another key: if the fiber is removed or broken
down, don't eat it. If you want to go to the bathroom
forget juicing. At least for a while.

55g of intact fiber per 1000 kcal would be a good target.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 03:27AM by arugula.

Posted by: Exeggutor ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:34AM

Couldn't agree more

fresh Wrote:
> manta,
>
> similar to what suncloud said, 801010, especially
> right away, can be a bit difficult. so don't
> worry too much about the fat intake as long as
> you're not going crazy and eating 6 avos a day. i
> range from 5% to 25%, and i've been doing it a
> long time, so don't try to be too strict with it.
> that's what caused you to rebound a bit.
>
> good luck.

Posted by: Exeggutor ()
Date: February 25, 2015 03:43AM

Fats slow down my digestion and do the opposite.
There is no whoosh effect.

Exercise helps. So does drinking lots of water
and eating water rich fruits.

Lemon water in the morning helps wake up your digestive system.
Try 1 liter lemon water before your morning meal or whenever
you think it would be beneficial for digestion.

suncloud Wrote:
> Why do people experience constipation on
> 80-10-10?
>
> Maybe because there are deficiencies, and the body
> is trying to suck out every last bit of nutrient
> possible before it lets the feces go?
>
> (Add a whole food rich in fats/minerals and
> whoosh!)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 03:43AM by Exeggutor.

Date: February 25, 2015 07:35AM

Good point Exeggutor and I agree, that fats slow down digestion. This is one reason why foods that are rich in fats help provide satiety.

But if you don't eat those foods at all for several days, and then you do, there's often a very different effect (possibly with the exception of avocados). smiling smiley

Fresh, I agree.

Best wishes Manta!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2015 07:44AM by suncloud.

Posted by: Vitality ()
Date: February 25, 2015 07:52AM

Go on a short fast, or a juice fast and see how it works. Even a short fast is incredible rejuvenating!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:46AM

You need to get yourself back the way you were , balanced, I wish you well.

Date: February 26, 2015 09:22PM

Thank you all for the tips and kind comments! I have been feeling pretty lost and alone lately, and reading this made me feel I had little team of raw cheerleaders here, ha!

Dehydration and fiber don't seem to be an issue, though I admit to have been pretty sedentary lately. It is winter where I live, and while I'm actually prone to overheating, the last two weeks on 30BaD seem to have made me unusually sensitive to the cold - it's been taking a lot to coax me out of the house, and even with the heat cranked to 75F I still have to wrap myself in a coat! I am starting to push myself again though - this has been easier since adding back some fat this week. I'll try the lemon water regularly in the morning, along with a nightly yoga routine.

As to my next move here, I am still considering a short-term water fast, as it feels like the right thing to do for me. I'm waiting to talk to my ND and receive the book I ordered on it.

In the meantime, I think I'm going to do something really radical and just listen to my body. It seems logical to think that depriving myself of one entire food group or another is probably putting a significant deal of stress on not just my emotional health, but my physical health as well. Wouldn't a nourished body be better able to heal itself?

It's funny. I have looked at all kind of books and websites and have yet to have read of many positive OR negative experiences with a mixed raw diet to treat candida.

I think I'm going to give it a go, staying away from grains, caffeine, and starchy vegetables, in adjunct to taking my probiotics and working to manage stress. In the least, I can learn something.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2015 09:27PM by Manta91.

Date: February 27, 2015 09:26PM

Also going to have some fun with sprouting and fermentation, too! I've especially been eager to try making nut/seed cheese.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 28, 2015 02:17AM

Manta start with sunflower seed cheese and rejuvelac, germinate then blend with rejuvelac and hang in your kitchen with nut milk bag, do this alot and you get used to it. Like cottage cheesy but great texture and white and cheezy tangy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables