Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: matt's cr blog: Joe Cordell (mostly raw) vs Luigi Fontana (mostly cooked?)
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 24, 2015 03:09AM

NuNativs
Posted by: NuNativs (107.199.68.25)
Date: February 23, 2015 03:50PM

Your arrogant, overly educated, know it all attitude begs to be taken down a notch or too, nor are you that nice to people either. You're downright snooty.

Good Luck...

NuNativs, as moderator, I am asking you to cease from issuing insults in your posts. I will be deleting your post soon because it is insulting. Its OK to disagree with someone, and to point out flaw in another's writing, but to make judgments and criticism about the person is not acceptable. You are making ad hominem attacks, i.e. :
ad hominem
adverb & adjective
(of an argument or reaction) directed against a person rather than the position they are maintaining.
"vicious ad hominem attacks"
relating to or associated with a particular person.
"the office was created ad hominem for Fenton"

Its OK to attack an idea or a position, but let's not attack the person.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: February 24, 2015 05:35AM

Arugula wrote:
As we age our stomach's production of
HCL declines so we are less able to extract nutrients
from food. This is why when we get to about 65 or so
it may be time to increase B12 and protein intakes so
as to compensate for decreased HCL production.

Tai:
What about just taking a vegan Betaine HCl supplement? Gabriel Cousens says this about Betaine HCL, in addition to supplementing older people's lost HCL, "In addition, one of the most important aspects of Betaine HCL is to replace methyl groups, which is important for DNA and enzyme repair."

I thought that when one eats a fruit meal, one's body doesn't need HCL to break it down, but that if a vegan were going to take an HCL supplement, it would help if eating beans or protein rich foods.

I am going to share my own brief experience taking enzymes. I tried Dr. Howell's Nzimes, which are just amylase, protease, lipase and cellulase (very inexpensive, by the way). The powder has no taste, which is good, because if you add it to food, it doesn't change the taste. I always test my enzymes first by adding them to cooked starch, like oatmeal: when stirred, the enzymes turn a thick cooked paste to a liquid. So adding those enzymes stirred into food was no problem. But some other enzyme powder I bought (I won't name any names) had strong flavors of added powdered foods, so it would change the flavor of the food. So i stirred the enzyme powder into water and drank it before meals. Before long, maybe one month or two, I developed acid reflux. The only thing I could think of is that drinking the enzyme water must have irritated my lower esophageal sphincter. So I stopped taking all enzymes. After a while, maybe a month or two, I was fine, and I didn't change anything else, except ceasing the enzyme powder. So, the lesson for me was never to drink enzyme powder by itself, but only to stir it into food. THe other safe way, of course, is to take enzymes in capsules, so they will be released into the stomach. Digestive enzymes do work, but my story should show you that they should be used carefully.

The other story I have is with systemic enzymes. I was taking them as recommended and I was noticing my skin on my hands cracking in tiny circles (almost like how blisters look when the skin is removed) and it looked like the systemic enzymes might have been affecting my skin. Also for the first time EVER, I was really sore without having worked out at all. For me to get sore, I really need to exercise and push myself. But I didn't exercise at all and I got so sore in areas that had no injury. I am a person that has no pain. Once in a while I may wake up with a kinked neck from sleeping wrong, but my methods take care of it within a day. No, this was different, and it was really scary for me to have multiple areas of soreness. So I stopped taking the systemic enzymes. I read how systemic enzymes can get rid of scar tissue and they help speed up healing injuries, etc. But what happens when a long-term vegan with no injuries and relatively thin takes "therapeutic", aka high, doses of systemic enzymes? I am not sure, but if my esophageal sphincter was sensitive to enzymes, then maybe other parts of me were too.

Again, I think adding digestive enzymes into cooked food or hard to digest food and stirring it really well, so the enzymes will have less contact with your esophagus, as it goes down can be very helpful. Robert MOrse has a theory that if you take digestive enzymes regularly, then your body will make less enzymes. In Lou's and Dr. HOwell's mind, that is protecting your body. In Morse's mind, that is not healthy.

My experience with HCL supplements is that everyone loves them. But they are very strong and powerful. It seems that enzymes are more gentle and I prefer to use them for people, unless people are bent on eating protein-rich foods. It's interesting because when someone has a more serious stomach problem digestive herbs work much better than enzymes, in my experience.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: February 24, 2015 05:53AM

To NuNativs:
I hear your message. I have gone to a couple of rainbow gatherings and I have had to learn what it is to live off the grid and walk through the forest at night with no light (because the batteries died in the flashlight). Rainbow gatherings are fun, because there is no money involved and everyone just trades and shares. I have also had the privilege of working with a garden for many years and it has been one of my best teachers. Book learning only goes so far...but then you have to live it. When the hummingbird in the garden lectures you, you learn to be humble.

I think you would like Lou Corona, if you haven't met him already. After Lou had his first main healing with his first mentor and got rid of his tumor and everything, he was guided spiritually to go into the forest of the San Bernadino mountains. There he found a running stream. He "knew" this was his next step. He stayed there for 40 days and fasted on this water. He buried himself in the ground at night to stay warm. He said the elements there were so powerful and gave him energy.

You have to appreciate that not everyone is going to have the same experiences. Some people hold down day jobs and are not ever going to experience that. There are some experiences that I would rather not experience for myself. My gosh, look at the buddha boy in nepal. Look at how he sat under that tree for 10 months, through horrible weather and snake bites. Few could touch that.
[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: NuNativs ()
Date: February 24, 2015 02:29PM

Prana wrote:
"Its OK to attack an idea or a position, but let's not attack the person."

OK I hear you, I agree that my delivery was not the best ever, something to do with my good old Dad I think....

As regards my sunglasses comment, I stick to my assertions:
Wear sunglasses only when necessary. Our eyes need the sunlight, too. Sunlight in the eyes is the most direct path of communication between the sun and our brains, and our good health and good mood hinges on it. When the full spectrum of light rays is intercepted in the retina, it is positively encoded in the brain and sets in motion the juicy hormones and neurochemicals that help us stay happy and healthy. This process works even if we are in the shade, but not if we are wearing shades.

The blue part of the sunlight spectrum is absorbed by the lens at the back of the eye, which stimulates the suprachiasmatic nucleus (the body's master clock) in the hypothalamus and the pineal gland. In turn, they synchronize the production and release of neural and hormonal messengers including melatonin (not melanin). Melatonin is mostly widely known as the circadian rhythm hormone that regulates sleep-wake cycles. It is also a powerful immune booster and anti-aging antioxidant that protects nuclear and mitochondrial DNA and delays neuro-degeneration. Wearing sunglasses and spending our days indoors blocks blue light reception and reduces our nightly dose of melatonin.

As we age, the photoreceptive lens starts to get cloudy, inhibiting the full absorption of the needed blue light. This leads to master-clock confusion and the under production of hormones, like melatonin, and neurochemicals. A 45 year old's lenses absorb only half of the amount of blue light as a child's lenses. The lenses of the elderly are often quite opaque, and this may explain why rates of sleep problems, immune issues, and some mood disorders, like depression, increase in the elderly. As your years increase, the more time you need to spend outside to receive the sun's fullest blessing and the night's best sleep.

Children also need to be outside in the sun as natural light is crucial for healthy eye development. Ophthalmic research shows that spending three hours a day in natural light reduces the risk nearsightedness in children. Sunlight triggers dopamine production in the eye, which stimulates normal growth.

We can safely satisfy our eyes' need for sunlight by practicing the ancient art of sun gazing. Slowly acclimatize the eyes to sunlight by enjoying the gentle rays of sunrise and sunset.

Rejoice in the warm sunshine, and let the elements feed your skin and spirit. Engage it with grace. Greet it with self-knowledge, wisdom, and a well-nourished body and all will be well.

Thank you, Sun, that just happens to be in exactly the right place in the universe.

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables