Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw yogurt [VEGAN - DON'T DELETE/CLOSE THIS THREAD]
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 27, 2006 01:40AM

I'm rather disappointed in the board admins for closing the other yogurt thread. I know it start as a non-vegan (actually it didn't specify vegan/non-vegan) thread, but once the person who started it was told that yogurt wasn't vegan and non-vegan topics belong else where, they asked to about vegan yogurt and got the door slammed in thier face.

I find it frustrating because I want to share some positive vegan yogurt experiences I've had recently, but can't. When you make it harder for us to contribute to the board - I certainly feel like doing it less. On the other hand, thank you for not just deleting it like other threads (which is *incredibility* frustrating if you write a well thought out response to something and find the thread delete later).

Oh well, just some feed back.

Ian.
P.S.: I had a really nice drink made with coconut yogurt the other day..........

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw yogurt [VEGAN - DON'T DELETE/CLOSE THIS THREAD]
Posted by: Suzie ()
Date: December 27, 2006 01:57AM

sodoffsocks Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm rather disappointed in the board admins for
> closing the other yogurt thread. I know it start
> as a non-vegan (actually it didn't specify
> vegan/non-vegan) thread, but once the person who
> started it was told that yogurt wasn't vegan and
> non-vegan topics belong else where, they asked to
> about vegan yogurt and got the door slammed in
> thier face.

Yes. That's exactly how I felt also. I hope she/he didn't leave the board after the admin's post.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 27, 2006 02:38AM

Yeah, the original post was about "Raw Yogurt", it didn't say anything about not being vegan.

Kefir is a type of yogurt (best way I know of describing it) and while it is usually made with animal milk, it can be made with nut and seed milks, although I think the nut or seed milk needs to be sweetened (I've never tried making it). There is a very detailed kefir website here [users.chariot.net.au]

Rob

(Ps We sell the Kefir starter culture in the UK, see [www.funkyraw.com] )

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: December 28, 2006 09:53PM

So the raw yogurt drink I had the other day was a kind of a pineapple lassi. Containing pineapple, coconut yogurt (kefir?), dash of lemon and almond milk. I bought it from Cafe Gratitude. Very yummy.

I definately want to play around with making some coconut yogurt/keifer stuff. Does anybody have a recipes/links for making such stuff? Also, what about different types of yogurt, can you make greek coconut yogurt?

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: December 28, 2006 11:17PM

To make kefir, you first need to get a starter culture from somewhere.

I have an article on how to make Kefir which I will put on the internet at some point soon, it just needs a bit of editing.

(And I posted a link in my last message which has loads of info [users.chariot.net.au] )

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Date: December 28, 2006 11:36PM

Thanks Rob, definately lots of info in your link. Also, I look forward to your 'how to make kefir' article. Will it contain a coconut yogurt recipe?

Cheers,
Ian.

Date: December 28, 2006 11:45PM

Ian, no, I've never even tried coconut yogurt. I'm not actually a kefir person myself, it's just we've published two articles on kefir in our magazine and sell it on the shop.

Lots of ideas to experiment with coconut kefir. Maybe you could make the kefir with either coconut water or coconut milk (milk made by blending coconut meat with water and straining). And/or mix kefir with coconut milk and maybe some blended up coconut. I'm going to have to get myself some kefir and start experimenting. (I've been making lots of chocolate recently, your post on with the photos of the chocolate you made really inspired me! I'm actually making chocolate right now, waiting for the cacao butter to melt...)

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/28/2006 11:46PM by Funky Rob.

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 02:45PM

Raw yogurt? Really? How does it differ from store brand? Does it even taste like the usual yogurt? Or is it more like a sour cream sauce that could be used in raw meals instead of eating alone? =) thanks!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2006 05:25PM

it helps if you actually read the thread. even the title specifies that this discussion is not about dairy yogurt but vegan alternatives. there are links posted in the replies above.

i have an automatic yogurt maker, wonder if it would work with nut/seed milk or coconut? mm...

Date: December 29, 2006 05:56PM

coco, kefir needs to be made at room temperature, so no, your automatic yogurt maker probably wouldn't be necessary.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw

Posted by: pikt ()
Date: December 30, 2006 07:54AM

i just found a kefir/yogurt making kit at People's. once i can get somebody to reach it for me i am excited to read and find out if it'll work without special equipment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables