Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Root Vegetables - Which are good raw?
Posted by: jono ()
Date: December 27, 2006 03:41AM

Just wondering which root vegetable do you like that can be eaten raw and with minimal processing?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Root Vegetables - Which are good raw?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 27, 2006 03:46AM

I like carrots, just grated into a salad. Beetroot is also good in the same way.

Not really a big fan of most root vegetables although I know sweet potatoe (yam?) is a popular one.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: December 27, 2006 04:19AM

Ah, beetroot, I haven't had that in a while... it has a beautiful color.

How about jicama (Yambean), does anyone eat these? From what I gather they're very nutritious - high in protein compared to other root veggies.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 27, 2006 07:13AM

Jicama is awesome, one of my favorites, very juicy, high water content, refreshing.

Garlic and ginger are always good. I'm not too into onions anymore for some reason, hmm horseradish is ok sometimes. I used to be very into carrots (for juice) but not much these days, too startchy for my taste now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 07:15AM by Narz.

Date: December 27, 2006 07:34AM

>>Jicama is awesome, one of my favorites, very juicy, high water content, refreshing.<<

sounds good. i think i'll pick one up next time it visit the asian market.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 27, 2006 10:33AM

I forgot about maca (because I take it in dried powdered form), thats supposed to be very nutritious.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 27, 2006 10:45AM

Shallow ("Shallot"winking smiley is one of my favourites. I'm not a big fan of onion, in most of the recipes I make I use Shallow rather than onion. It's got a fantastic and strong flavor, and (I guess) since you use less it has a lower impact than onions.

I also like garlic, ginger, carrots, beets (so many different kinds), radishes (ooooh, I so love radishes), horseradishes (mix with some green avocado to make wasabi), yam/sweatpotato (shurbit!!sp?), horsechestnut (I think it's a root vegetable), maca (I wish I find this in raw form, but I only get it in jars....) and I'm sure I'm miss some good ones.

Is seaweed a root veggie?

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: December 27, 2006 12:02PM

Yams and sweet potatoes are two totally different root vegetables. I think yams are supposed to be cooked or they can be mildly toxic.

Wasabi is a japanese root vegetable (spice?) that has nothing to do with horseradish or avocado. It is a water loving plant that has a piccant root. It is not related to horseradish though.

Posted by: James Smith ()
Date: December 27, 2006 05:05PM

Yams and sweet potatoes are two totally different root vegetables. However, in many stores in the US, there is a root vegetable sold that is labeled as *both* yam and sweet potato. From the discussion here [en.wikipedia.org] and here [en.wikipedia.org]) * , I assume that when this is the case, the vegetable is, in fact, a sweet potato, not a yam. In that case, I have never actually eaten a yam.

* Note that because the URL ends in a ), the program that runs the forum renders it incorrectly.

Also, according to Wikipedia (which knows everything), sweet potatoes are by far the most nutritious vegetable. How do I prepare sweet potatoes? Do I just blend them with water? Then what?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2006 05:10PM by James Smith.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 27, 2006 05:44PM

>according to Wikipedia (which knows everything), sweet potatoes are by far the most nutritious vegetable.

It depends on how you define "most nutritious" and how you define vegetable. In terms of meeting RDAs, its nutrient profile is easily surpased by almost all of the leafy vegetables and the bell peppers (which are botanically fruit). It is also less nutrient-dense than carrot (another root) and broccoli (technically a flower). But yes, it is pretty high up there compared to just about everything else.

>How do I prepare sweet potatoes?

I usually steam mine a little bit. Or grate them raw into salads. Or even juice them!

I find raw grated carrot a lot easier to digest.

Posted by: all one ()
Date: December 27, 2006 08:09PM

celery root is really good. its sometimes called celerac root (i think thats spelled wrong though)

it took me a little to find one, but i found them at mejier.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: December 29, 2006 09:49AM

Where is jicama grown in the world? Somewhere in asia I gess...

Posted by: learningtofly ()
Date: December 30, 2006 10:56PM

Jicama is grown in south Florida IIRC.

I like yams/sweet potatoes very thinly sliced as "chips" with guacamole.

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: December 30, 2006 10:59PM

Love raw turnips....

Judy

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: December 31, 2006 06:09AM

HIYA!

I also love jicama. Chomp chomp chomp. I used to eat them in Thailand! Didnt know until now where in the US they grow.

I used to love jerusalem artichokes but have been out of the US for quite a few years. I know they're starchy but I like them. Next year ...!

In the past I would munch on sweet potatoes or yams (I've never learned to tell the difference) but stopped because I started to dislike the strong starchy taste. Hmmm ... how about marinating one in something, then eating it just like that?

If I'm not mistaken, cerleriac (I think the spelling is not celerac) and celery root are different.

Yeah I like carrots.

I can suck on garlic and ginger.

Are parsnips and turnips root vegetables? Can't even visualize them.

I once tried raw lotus root in Thailand. Didn't care too much for it but it's not so bad.

No other root vegetables come to mind.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables