Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Sprouted wheat and gluten
Posted by: rawigor ()
Date: February 26, 2015 05:34AM

Can someone clarify?
I know from varity of sources that gluten is one of the worst things to be consumed. I also know from variety of different sources that sprouted grains, esspecially sprouted wheat, is very beneficial. Even Jesus advised eating it. I have been making raw bread from sprouted wheat for the past 6 months and have not noticed any negative effects. On the contrary, if I don't eat sprouted grains for eextended period of time, I start feeling hungry, no matter how much of salads, or nuts I may eat. Am I doing someting wrong being a raw food beginner?

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sprouted wheat and gluten
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 26, 2015 07:19AM

Me too I am sprouting it right now. I mix with banana and then dehydrate

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 26, 2015 09:28AM

There is gluten in sprouted wheat, but that shouldn't cause problems unless:

1. You have celiac disease, or
2. You have non-celiac gluten sensitivity, or
3. You are allergic to wheat

1. Celiac disease is genetic and occurs when the gluten protein in wheat, rye, and barley triggers an autoimmune response against the villi in the lining of your intestines. You can be tested for this. In fact, for an accurate result, you MUST be tested BEFORE going gluten-free. If you suspect celiac or are just worried about it, get tested. If positive, tell your relatives, so they can be tested too (since it's genetic). Symptoms may or may not be evident.

2. Non-celiac gluten sensitivity causes a range of uncomfortable symptoms after eating gluten. There is no test.

3. Wheat allergy is a food allergy, not an autoimmune response like in celiac disease. There is a test for it.

[gastro.ucla.edu]

For those who do eat wheat and are concerned, my advice is: get tested for celiac and wheat allergy. There's an incredible number of foods that contain gluten or may contain hidden gluten. Most are not raw whole foods, but many are vegan. If you have celiac disease, you will have to avoid all of them.

A list of safe/unsafe foods for those with celiac disease can be found here:

[www.celiac.com]

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:21PM

Celiac disease is probably the most undiagnosed disease in the US. Another one is thyroid disease. They seem to go hand in hand. There even seems to be a correlation between non-celiac gluten sensitivity and thyroid disorders.

MUCH due diligence should go into the decision to eat sprouted grains before doing that, IMO. Thank you, Suncloud, for providing you info and links.

I think this one should also be read by those who are thinking about adding more gluten products to their, and their family's diet.

"Two of a Kind — Research Connects Celiac and Thyroid Diseases and Suggests a Gluten-Free Diet Benefits Both
By Cheryl Harris, MPH, RD, and Gary Kaplan, DO
Today’s Dietitian
Vol. 12 No. 11 P. 52"

[www.todaysdietitian.com]

Posted by: Manta91 ()
Date: February 26, 2015 08:41PM

I've been curious about this myself. It seems that most raw recipes that include them are from older books, making me wonder if such information is outdated.

Posted by: rawigor ()
Date: March 01, 2015 05:07PM

Thank you all for replying to this post. As suncloud explained, only some people should be concerned about gluten. The rest should consume gluten as long as it comes from raw organic sources.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: March 01, 2015 08:29PM

The Essenes say Jesus praised this- wheatberries, called it something.. I forget, and taught people how to sprout wheat mash it on rocks and sun-dry.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables