Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I won't eat sweet fruit!
Posted by: mtnkathy ()
Date: December 28, 2006 05:52PM

I just read something that possibly explains why it eating sweet fruit repulsive to me for the most part. This is from a link someone posted here: geocites.com regarding ANOPSOLOGY (Part one). I am still transitioning and so far only veggies, grasses, and low-sugar fuits have had any appeal. I have always wondered how some of you folks could eat so much fruit.

"_What do you mean exactly when you say one finds it “impossible” to eat a particular food?”

For instance, imagine that you’re still suffering from the effects of a tremendous overload of carbohydrates resulting from your former diet. Your instincts will prevent you from eating foods that have a high sugar content; bananas will taste bland, granular, pasty, and indigestible, until one day, things feel different.... When the overload is reabsorbed, bananas will taste so good that you’ll feel you’ve been completely released from something."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I won't eat sweet fruit!
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 28, 2006 07:27PM

Right. Early in my transition, I found a wide variety of greens and vegetables to be more appealing. After a transition of perhaps 1-2 years, I found fruit more and more appealing and convenient. I've eaten nothing but fruit for years now - and feel better than I ever have. Just my personal experience.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 28, 2006 08:13PM

I'm not crazy about most fruit myself though I do enjoy an occasional apple or smoothie and I do like dates and figs (fresh not dried so much).

Sometimes I'll get in the mood for it and eat quite a bit over a few days, generally not though.

I also prefer non-sweet-fruits, especially heirloom tomatoes (I plan to grow hundreds next summer), greens, veggies, nuts and an unmentionable (here) raw product that comes from well cared for female goats.

Tastes do evolve though, who knows what you'll like some day. Just go with what you're craving, as long as it's not highly processed.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: December 29, 2006 02:57AM

My experience has been analogous to David in that I find fruit more and more appealing! Yesterday was our wedding anniversary and we had a durian as a treat. That was the best treat ever. I felt like some empty space inside me got filled. We have not had a durian for over a year, until we got a hint from another rawie about where to get one. Total bliss.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 29, 2006 03:44AM

Durian for wedding anniversary what a beautiful picture.

Posted by: uti ()
Date: December 29, 2006 06:10AM

I was a heavy fat, starch and processed sugar eater before transitioning to raw even though I was vegan. My consumption of sweet fruit was very low; maybe 2 to 3 pieces of apples, a bananna, some grapes or a glass of OJ at a breakfast when eating out per week. When I ate a banana it was solid yellow with a hint of green at the stem and starchy (unripe). I had an adversion to them when they got spotted and sweet (ripe). As I transitioned over a 2 year period I began eating fruit by day and made up my calorie needs in the evening with my cooked meal which was usually rice and potato with steamed veggies spices, condiments, and of course lots of salt.

When I went fully raw, fruit became the focus of my hunger. I absolutely love the lightness of being that fruit brings to my day and I can say without hesitation that in my spiritual work it has made a big difference. Gone are the candida symptoms and the blood sugar highs and lows from when I was on a high fat diet. I love eating what's currently in season and the bonus is in today's market some of my favorites are in season somewhere all year round. I live in a location where there is not 4 seasons of local fruit, so I can't always eat locally.

I read a lot of fear mongering posts about raw foodists concern with eating a lot of sweet fruit and the fear it will cause candida overproduction or blood sugar problems. It's just not my experience or that of my friends who are eating a high fruit low fat diet, some of whom have 5 or more years with a natural hygiene diet. The transitioning raw foodists or those who have left raw behind who have or had problems were usuallyon high fat (lots of avacados, oils) and starch diets or were not truthful about being fully raw.

For more info on this check out Dr Doug Graham's new book "The 80/10/10 Diet". I just got mine and haven't finished it yet, but I trust Dr D. I met him last fall at an event sponsored by Living Nutrition and subsequently went to the 3 day Raw Food Expo in Fort Bragg, CA the following weekend, I was so moved by his work and presence. He has over 25 years of personal success with a raw food diet and is the most vibrant healthy man I have ever met who is in his 50's.

Wishing You Health and Happiness,
Uti

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: December 29, 2006 03:57PM

mtnkathy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I just read something that possibly explains why
> it eating sweet fruit repulsive to me for the most
> part. This is from a link someone posted here:
> geocites.com regarding ANOPSOLOGY (Part one). I
> am still transitioning and so far only veggies,
> grasses, and low-sugar fuits have had any appeal.
> I have always wondered how some of you folks could
> eat so much fruit.
>
> "_What do you mean exactly when you say one finds
> it “impossible” to eat a particular food?”
>
> For instance, imagine that you’re still suffering
> from the effects of a tremendous overload of
> carbohydrates resulting from your former diet.
> Your instincts will prevent you from eating foods
> that have a high sugar content; bananas will taste
> bland, granular, pasty, and indigestible, until
> one day, things feel different.... When the
> overload is reabsorbed, bananas will taste so good
> that you’ll feel you’ve been completely released
> from something."

YES I used to be exactly the same way!! I thought it was just me. The sight of sweet fruit used to make me cringe, I thought it was so gross. I think my body just had to alkalinize and mineralize and get my blood sugar under control.

Then sometime around 6 months of being raw I started noticing sweet fruit more. Now at 10 months raw I eat sweet fruit everyday, I go entire days eating only sweet fruit - my consumption of greens is way down from what it used to be. My diet is SO MUCH EASIER now. It used to be so high maintenance with all the prepared raw greens dishes, nut pates, etc. - but for me those foods were very necessary in the beginning.

I love being able to just grab an orange or apple now, every store has them!

Just follow your raw instincts...

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 29, 2006 05:53PM

That's so great sunshine, I totally enjoy the ease of fruit preparation too. I'm starting to think of greens as medicine, they are very healing in the beginning of a raw transition, and then you need less of them!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: December 29, 2006 10:43PM

I can't fathom a world without grapes.

I did without them for about two weeks--these past two weeks I could not find them for less than $2/lb so I skipped them.

But I missed them so much! Today I got some. Drools.

Why would anyone want to do without? I don't get it. They are so fantastic. Especially with berries and citrus and apples and pineapple and kiwi and banana.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: December 31, 2006 07:09AM

When I first started raw, I had already been on the sugar=bad bandwagon for years. Healing from candida, hypoglycemia, chronic fatigue, acne, etc. etc.

I had done the no-sugar thing before I was even anywhere near vegetarian or vegan, so by the time I explored raw, I naturally fell into the sweetfruitisevil camp. I did the Arise & Shine thing. I did the Nature's First Law thing. I did the Cousens thing. I did the Hippocrates thing. I did my own whatever thing. All with barely any fruit.

I finally was failing so miserably and had gotten so much sicker, I had to go off of raw for about 2 years.

During this time I had a friend who encouraged me to play with eating fruit again, of which i was so damn afraid. It had been really drilled into me that sugar was the cause of my ills!

Of course the more fruit I was eating, the more important food combining, timing of meals, and the % of fat in my diet became. But the more I got into it, the better I felt. At this point now, only a year after I started my latest 100% raw journey, fruit and greens make up the majority of my diet and I am so loving it and my healing is continuing.

I remember a time in my life where if I craved a certain fruit, rather than let myself eat it I would go online and research its glycemic index and do a mental trip around whether it was OK. What BULLSHIT. I was in such delusion and so stuck in my head. (Still am, but at least not where I was a few years ago! LOL)

If you are interested more about how to make fruit work for you in the raw diet, Doug Graham's new 80/10/10 book is great. He has a whole chapter called "Meeting Fruit Concerns Head-On" where he addresses the common concerns about eating lots of fruit.

Love,
Uma

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables