Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Dehydrators --- I thought water was good??!?!?!?!
Posted by: seajaee ()
Date: December 30, 2006 12:00AM

Okay, I'm looking for good live/raw food preparation and technique books....in the process I keep seeing recipes that call for dehydrating food.....isn't this contrary to the point of eating live/raw food? Don't we want to eat good juicy fruits and veggies all the time and have nuts and things on the side? A little dried fruit here and there is nice for the natural sugar but isn't constant dehydrator usage a bit like getting a colonic and then going to McDonalds?

Just confused....also, if you have any recipe book recommendatios, please let me know!

Seajaee

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dehydrators --- I thought water was good??!?!?!?!
Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 30, 2006 12:16AM

Hi "just Confused", smiling smiley

water good, but water makee food rott. Take water out, food not rott so quick.

Fresh fruit better than dehydrated fruit, dehydrated fruit better than McDonalds.
You could also add the water back if you like. winking smiley

Ian.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 30, 2006 12:28AM

I think the point is that you don't need a recipe book to learn how to prepare a banana (peal, eat) or an apple (eat). Even making a salad is fairly straightforward, choose some veggies, chop, mix. So raw recipe books are giving you the extras that need a bit more thought and preperation, stuff you might only have once in a while or for a dinner party.

(And now for the small advert, the recipe booklet I am a co-author of has very few recipes which call for a dehydrator - [www.funkyraw.com] )

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 30, 2006 01:26AM

What Ian said. Dehydration helps preserve food. Also, can create good snack, transition foods for people.

I plan to dehydrate my own heirloom tomatoes when I grow them. That'll be pretty sweet! smiling smiley

Date: December 30, 2006 01:43AM

Okay, thanks for enlightening me about the dehydrators...maybe I'll get one soon. Right now I need a food processor to go with my blender and juicers.

Seajaee

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: December 30, 2006 02:00AM

I think a dehydrator is one of lesser important tools for a raw vegan. I bought a cheap $10-$20 used dehydrator, used it for a year, then upgrade when I was sure I'd actually getting use out of it (they take up sooo much room). I now have the D10 from sausagemaker.com, to tell the truth I don't use it a lot, but really like being there when I end up with a whole bunch of ripe fruit I want to preserve.

Cheers,
Ian.

Posted by: chilove ()
Date: December 30, 2006 05:47PM

Hi there,

Fresh and whole is always better than dehydrated or frozen but dehdrating can be helpful for people who are in transition and are craving the familiar tastes and textures of SAD foods.

You definitely don't need one to go raw. A blender and food procesor are more useful for most recipes, IMO.

All the best,

Audrey
www.rawhealing.com

Date: December 30, 2006 10:28PM

Thanks Audrey,

I was raw for three months about 5 years ago. Then winter came and I fell back into regular vegetarianism.....However, I have never felt as good as I did during those three months and I sincerely want to get back to that. On Friday, I finished a 7 day juice fast, and now I'm 98% raw (I ate a shred of cheddar) as of today - Day 1.

I'm typically a 'simple' eater....fresh juice for breakfast, salad for lunch, and an entree, salad, or thick smoothie for dinner. For snacks, it's usually fruit, nuts, or some dried fruit....I could use the dehydrator for that, but otherwise, I feel better with nice juicy fruits and veggies.

Before, I was single. Now I live with my boyfriend and I'm trying to make raw food appealing so that he'll want to eat more raw dishes....I've already got him hooked on the juice! He gets it every morning before work and I try to make sure he'll drink it in the evening as well...his body is already responding in clearing the skin and eyes....

I'm not pushy or preachy, but rather prefer to be patient because I know live food will win in the end. I also want to be an example.....that will be better than any words I can say!!!!

Thanks for the response.

Seajaee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2006 10:30PM by seajaee.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables