Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how can you tell if a young thai coconut is bad?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: April 16, 2015 04:27AM

i remember when people used to say pink water was bad... but then a company like harmless harvest started selling the pink water (not all of their bottles end up that color) and its sweet and delicious.

today i opened a coconut and the water was darker... almost brownish... but it was sweet and tasty. the meat didnt look good either.

so what indicates a bad coconut? taste or color? what am i looking for?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how can you tell if a young thai coconut is bad?
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: April 16, 2015 05:09AM

I usually buy boxes of 9 coconuts each. OUt of every box, you might find 1-2 bad ones. There's this one company called Best, and they can have boxes that contain all good ones, but still you will one cracked here and there.

Pink water is definitely bad, it usually means there is a crack or the membrane was compromised. Don't drink that. Feed it to your plants.

Light brown water that tastes sweet is also bad, but not as bad as pink. Brown means the coconut is old, but not compromised. The darker the color, the older it is. If the coconut that you opened was sweet and tasty, it must not have been too old, even if it was darker in color. But stay away from the pink.

ONce in a while, you might open a coconut that has a normal color but the water tastes sour. Obviously there was a crack somewhere that you didn't notice and it must have happened very recently before there was a color change. Never drink sour water from a coconut. Sometimes people take fresh sweet coconut water and make yogurt...that's okay.

The moral of the story is to use up your thai coconuts ASAP and don't leave them in the fridge more than 10 days or so, or they will start to turn brown. Pink ones are cracked, so just dispose of those.

P.S., if you are at a store and are only able to buy one coconut, look at the whole coconut. THe pink ones often have some pink showing through on the bottom: not every single time, but more so on the bigger coconuts. They are so easy to spot for me before I even open them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/16/2015 05:14AM by Tai.

Date: April 16, 2015 06:21AM

Interesting stuff on coconuts. I bought three about a month ago (most coconuts l have bought in my entire life) and two were slightly rotted inside with medium brown water in them. Naturally l composted them. The good coconut was so fatty and lovely to eat.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 16, 2015 10:29AM

I eat one young coconut per day and find that I have to throw away at least one per week because the water or meat is bad.

Sometimes you feel like you still want to drink it because they are so expensive but you should not.

I may start return them to the store for a refund but the store is usually so far away

Date: April 16, 2015 10:39AM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Sometimes you feel like you still want to drink it
> because they are so expensive but you should not.

Yes, they would have lots of toxins when going bad imo.

> I may start return them to the store for a refund
> but the store is usually so far away

That is always the issue where l am too. 30 minutes drive there and back, and it means l never buy organic watermelons there in case l need to return it. If l pay the going rate of $40 per melon ($4 per kilo) and add in feul costs (up and back and up and back) that is at least 2 hours wasted time (the biggest issue) and feul costs.

www.thesproutarian.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: April 16, 2015 11:45AM

Young coconuts are fruits too.

Maybe those going bad are those that were not ripe and taken early from the coconut tree.

It is easy to know when fruits like mangoes or grapes are not ripe, and we avoid eating them. But for young coconuts it is difficult to know.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: April 18, 2015 04:54AM

Bad taste in your mouth.

I bought frozen thai coconut from the supermarket. It says raw on the package.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables