Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

60% of calories from coconut oil - and healthy!
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: December 30, 2006 09:57PM

Interesting info about how pacific island people eat tons of coconut oil and are healthy! We know what coconut oil does for the skin, it looks like it has the same healthy effect on the inside even though it is saturated fat.

[www.coconutdiet.com]

There are quite a few studies that have been done on traditional diets in tropical areas that are high in coconut oil consumption. These studies back up the fact that Marianita’s experience growing up in the Philippines is common in cultures that derive much of their caloric intake from the saturated fats of coconut oil. In a study published in 1981, the populations of two South Pacific islands (Pukapuka and Tokelau) were examined over a period of time starting in the 1960s, before western foods were prevalent in the diets of either culture. The study was designed to investigate the relative effects of saturated fat and dietary cholesterol in determining serum cholesterol levels. Coconuts were practically a staple in the diets, with up to 60% of their caloric intake coming from the saturated fat of coconut oil. The study found very lean and healthy people who were relatively free from the modern diseases of western cultures, including obesity. Their conclusion: "Vascular disease is uncommon in both populations and there is no evidence of the high saturated fat intake having a harmful effect in these populations."1

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 60% of calories from coconut oil - and healthy!
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 01, 2007 05:59AM

Tropical,
Thank you for the information. How does one incorporate coconut oil into a raw lifestyle? I know its used in cooking alot. My experience is that its rather solid at room temp, but liquifies at relatively low temps. Do you know of any spreads or other recipes for raw foodists?

thank you,
Mislu

Posted by: uti ()
Date: January 01, 2007 09:11AM

Are you suggesting that, based on studies of 2 relativly small groups of indigenous tropical island cultures with a radically different lifestye, modern westerners will experience the same level of health eating 60% saturated fat?

Sounds like someone has some coconut oil to sell to me.

Ever seen any documentation of what happened to pacific isanders when we started shipping them frozen turkey tails and white sugar? They went ga-ga over the deep fried turkey tails, cooked in their local coconut oil no less, blew up like blimps and started dropping like flies from obesity related diseases. For those of you unfamiliar with the anatomy of a turkey, the tail is mostly fat, kind of ugly and undesireable for the US market who loves the breast meat the most, so they wack 'em off, freeze 'em and ship 'em off to overseas markets. Another great idea from corporate agribiz.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: January 01, 2007 12:08PM

I found that site after someone commented on how all the saturated fat in the coconut oil would give me heart disease and I had to find out for myself.

I think you're right uti, we shouldn't pay attention to studies as much as we should pay attention to our own personal experience.

I just thought it was interesting that they were healthy because there is this common sentiment that fat is bad, regardless of the kind of fat, just like there is a common sentiment that sugars are bad, regardless of what kind they are - and I'm not saying to eat coconut oil (gag), just eat a coconut.

My favorite way of fixing mature coconut (I've only had a dozen or so coconuts so far) is to take the coconut meat and run it through the champion juicer with some banana and pineapple, I don't bother to take off the thin brown skin, that takes too long.
Then I spread it 1/4 inch thick on waxpaper-lined plates and freeze it. The next day, I break it into chunks and put them in bags in the freezer.
To serve, I make a syrup with carob/chocolate and agave nectar and dip the frozen chunks in the syrup - not bad.

I have actually accidentally made my own coconut oil, I made some coconut milk using warm water and put it in the fridge. The next time I looked at it, there was a hard layer of oil on the top that I could pick out with my hands!

More interesting articles.

[www.coconutresearchcenter.org]
Coconut oil is composed of a group of unique fat molecules known as medium-chain fatty acids (MCFA). Although they are technically classified as saturated fats, this fat can actually protect you from getting a heart attack or suffering a stroke.

[www.westonaprice.org]
This is big long article about coconut oil and lauric acid by Mary G. Enig, PhD, an expert of international renown in the field of lipid biochemistry. She is not a vegan. It also goes into how oils became "bad" in the public perception.

[www.naturodoc.com]
Another interesting big article about how coconut oil is not toxic, doesn't become rancid, about the different kinds of oils and how they affect cancer, heart damage, brain function, weight loss and aging.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2007 12:19PM by tropical.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables