Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How do frozen foods fit in?
Posted by: cindy5393 ()
Date: January 01, 2007 02:47PM

I am wondering if frozen fruits or vegetables fit into the raw diet. Since it is only me and it is a bit of a drive to the produce nearest me it would be nice if i could use some frozen things to keep on hand so as not to have to drive and to avoid spoilage. Seems like if I buy a head of cauliflower I need to eat it day and night to use it before it goes bad. Does any one have any input on this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How do frozen foods fit in?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2007 03:58PM

Frozen raw food is not as good as fresh unfrozen raw food but it is far better than any cooked food. Freezing destroy some nutrients but not all.[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: cindy5393 ()
Date: January 01, 2007 04:25PM

went to that site it is very full of info thanks . I think I am ok to use some frozen as needed and you are right it is better than cooked

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 01, 2007 05:48PM

Just to note that a lot of food you can buy already frozen will have been cooked before being frozen.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 01, 2007 06:29PM

-I do not find them as vital as fresh, raw plant food. If it helps you transition to more fresh raw plant foods - I say go for it! smiling smiley

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2007 06:31PM

Funky Rob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just to note that a lot of food you can buy
> already frozen will have been cooked before being
> frozen.
>
> Rob

True, unless you freeze them yourself you never know what you are getting. That is why I prefer to rely on home grown greens and sprouts.

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: January 01, 2007 09:46PM

I try to stay away from frozen foods as much as possible. So many of them are blanched (boiling water) before they are frozen. The nutrition is diminished and we're lookin' for a big increase in nutrition in the foods we eat.

However, I understand your issue of keeping foods fresh and eating them before they go bad. I call myself the "produce manager" of our house! It sometimes feels like a full-time job - keeping track of what's in the fridge and what "needs" to be eaten. One thing that I recently discovered that makes my produce manager job a little easier is EVERT-FRESH green bags. You can get them at most healthfood stores. I have a couple of bunches of cilantro and parsley in my fridge right now that "should" be rotten and they are still nice and fresh. It's the bags. I think they have probably already paid for themselves in terms of keeping greens and other produce fresh. I wash them and re-use them....that's after having a couple of them thrown away by the "non-aware" who live here with me and then realizing that I needed to mark the bags with a permanent marker! So, now the bags all read - KEEP! Anyway, hope that helps!

Life Is Good!

HAPPY NEW YEAR, EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!!!

alive!

Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: January 02, 2007 01:08AM

I know what you mean. I cant afford to buy 3-4 pineapples weekly (for example) to keep it freshest, so I buy 2 and I freeze one after I have peeled and cored it. Thats too bad that frozen isn't the same. I didn't think it takes away nutrients because you would think freezing locks the vitamins in, frozen in time and space ready to be unleashed as it de thaws LOL. Im silly. =)

I really do freeze my pineapple *hides*

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables