Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What do our raw food 'experts' have to say about this?
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: June 26, 2015 02:18PM

Posted on another forum I'm on that is not specifically for raw foods. Curious though, as we have so many knowledgeable members on here (who know far more about a raw diet than many of the cooked food vegans commenting on this on the other forum) what you all make of this "theory"?

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What do our raw food 'experts' have to say about this?
Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: June 26, 2015 03:34PM

couldn't make it past the @#$%& advert. i suppose i'll wait until i read suvine's summary

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 26, 2015 04:21PM

cooking nor meat didn't "create" humans and the increased food source potential didn't create the larger brain.

social network requirements and hand freeing and "nesting" dynamics and differentiation of living tasks created the need for better neuronal capacity.

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 26, 2015 05:31PM

I only watched till the gorilla brain. They forgot to say that elephants and whales have bigger brains than humans. They did say at the beguining that the video was a theory.

Posted by: Lois ()
Date: June 26, 2015 05:41PM

Good post, fresh!

I pretty much don't like and disagree with the whole supposition - the premise that cooking our food "allowed us to transition from primitive ape to complex human." "Cooking allowed us to become human." Taken from the book, How Cooking Made Us Human.

Lots of conjecture, jumping to conclusions, sometimes using the word 'maybe', 'could have' or 'would have', but other times, stating as fact that which is not.

This was my favorite part -

"There's a catch, though. Scientists haven't found definitive proof that homo-erectus harnessed fire 1.8 millions years ago."

That blows the whole theory out of the water - LOL

Some highlights -

'above all else, cooking allowed us to transition from primitive ape to complex human.'

'cooking allowed us to become human, in the biological and evolutionary sense of the word.'

'it allowed us to feed our growing brains and opened up a lot of free time.'

'Because our ancestors spent less time eating (supposedly because they cooked their food) it gave them more free time to do things like developing langauge and invent art or tools.'

This guy would disagree with PBS -

"If we could live on uncooked food alone, we should be saving so much time and energy, as well as money, all of which may be utilised for more useful purposes." ~ Mahatma Gandhi

Posted by: Panchito ()
Date: June 26, 2015 06:40PM

Lois Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 'it allowed us to feed our growing brains and
> opened up a lot of free time.'
>
> 'Because our ancestors spent less time eating
> (supposedly because they cooked their food) it
> gave them more free time to do things like
> developing langauge and invent art or tools.'

lions spend 20 hours a day lying down and they eat lots of meat. But where is the big brain?

Posted by: Lois ()
Date: June 26, 2015 07:46PM

Yeah, the lion should be inventing things in his spare time smiling smiley

He also says -

Chimps mostly ate food where they found it, but because our ancestors started cooking food, they had to bring it back to a central location, so they'd have to strengthen social bonds and co-operation (not necessarily - they could have fought over the food). MAYBE cooking helped us evolve and just get along. MAYBE they would have had to develop new tools to carry their food around in. Our children WOULD HAVE lived longer because of better nutrition, and so would our adults. We ate our way to becomming a stronger species.

He then says -

"The success of human culture and of evolution is because of our remarkably advanced brain."

Some would disagree on how successful human culture is. I say cooking food screwed us up, mentally and physically, culturally made us aggressive/war-ing, etc.

They might be teaching this cooked-food propaganda to public school children eye popping smiley

[www.pbslearningmedia.org]

Posted by: HeavyHitter ()
Date: June 26, 2015 09:19PM

According to that video, blending food is "maybe" a form of cooking. They're basically saying that if you consider yourself raw but if some of your food goes through the Vita-Mix, you're not raw at all.

Also, if cooked food has visited so many (totally unproven) evils upon humanity, what has consuming animal products done? I'm more likely to blame our ills upon the latter than the former.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2015 09:21PM by HeavyHitter.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:52PM

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: June 27, 2015 01:12AM

good points lois.

smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables