Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Nothing I buy will sprout!
Posted by: Lightning ()
Date: July 20, 2015 03:50AM

Has anyone else had this problem with their local health food stores?

I have tried several grains, seeds, and nuts some of which were even labeled as "raw" and none of them sprouted! It is sad that pretty much everything we can find in a health food store has been pasteurized and toasted. I live on Oahu by the way.

Can anyone send me a PM with a list of trusted farmer-direct suppliers for cheap and unsprayed almonds, seeds, nuts, etc? I want to live on a diet mostly of sprouts and greens.

Anyone have sprouting success with Bob's red mill? How about red quinoa?

Thanks

Chief Six-Pack Thunder Star

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Nothing I buy will sprout!
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: July 20, 2015 05:47AM

Wow nothing will sprout, that means its been heat treated.

Stay away from Almonds from Or or CA they are steam pasteurized and will never grow into trees, they just puff out with the added water, That is not the same as sprouting.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: July 20, 2015 10:52AM

Tree seeds, like almonds, take many months, and proper conditions, to actually germinate even if they are viable.

If nothing at all will sprout for you take a shortcut of discovery by first buying some seeds from a high caliber vender who specializes in selling sproutable seeds. If you can't get those to sprout you have been doing something wrong that needs to be corrected.

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: July 20, 2015 01:22PM

This is interesting because most of the beans, seeds and grains I've sprouted just came from Winco bulk section and sprouted just fine (except oats, I've sadly not had much luck with those). I haven't tried sprouting nuts, I just soak those (and re-dehydrate if I wanted to eat them dry). I've also bought bags of sprouting-specific seeds for broccoli greens, fenugreek and diakon at the health food store, though those were not in the bulk section and were packaged as "sprouting seeds". Perhaps you can ask at your health food store if they offer seeds specifically for sprouting?

Also, what method are you using to sprout? Jars, sprouting trays, bags ext...? Are you using the appropriate method for the specific sprout? Are you "caring" for them properly (i.e. soaking the right amount of time, rinsing 2X a day, adequate drainage ect...)? I found out early on different types of seeds/beans/grains need different conditions to sprout and if you don't take care of them right, they aren't going to work. Sprouting is kind of a PITA to be honest, and I'd suggest starting small and working up to larger yields.

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: July 20, 2015 06:40PM

TRIBEST SPROUTER

SET IT AND FORGET IT ( but rinse once a day)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables