Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fermented crackers?
Posted by: autumn-vegan ()
Date: August 11, 2015 06:20AM

I have a 6 tray dehydrator. What I make in it most often are dehydrated crackers. I save the pulp from non-dairy milks in my freezer and add flax/chia, oil, colored salt, and dried herbs until it forms a dough. This time, my dough made enough for 10 trays. I dehydrated the first six, but I had to leave the rest of the dough in the fridge for a couple days before dehydrating it. Batch 1 tastes and looks normal. Batch two has sort of...a slight dark grey mottled look to the surface? And they taste sour. Clearly sour, not just a little. Is batch 2 safe to eat? Both batches were dehydrated at 150° F for 20+ hours. It takes a long time at higher temps to really dry these thick pulp crackers good. I've tried lesser temps and the end result is a poor texture + many extra hours. I have never had this issue before (sour crackers). HELP HELP HELP! Do I have to throw them all away?! I ate a few, they were bone dry and I haven't gotten sick yet haha! Still, I don't want to be ingesting bad things. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for reading

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fermented crackers?
Posted by: suvine ()
Date: August 17, 2015 05:44AM

Hi Autumn Vegan. I love Igors crackers. Thats the boutenkos recipe. Here it is.

About This Recipe
"From Victoria Boutenko's 12 Steps to Raw Foods. I haven't tried it yet and I have to give the library book back. I read in their newsletter that they tossed some crumbs from these crackers outside for the birds and in the spring flax started growing on the spot. Now that's *live* food!"

Ingredients
2 cups flax seeds
1 cup water
3 large carrots, chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
4 medium garlic cloves
2 tomatoes (optional)
1 teaspoon caraway seed
1 teaspoon coriander seed
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt (optional)
Directions
Grind the flaxseed in a dry Vita-Mix blender. (Or do the best you can with a more wimpy blender. i.e. the kind I have.).
Put that into a large bowl and put the rest of the ingredients into the blender and blend.
Mix all ingredients in the big bowl.
Cover dough with a towel and let sit in a warm area overnight to ferment slightly.
Use a spatula to spread dough onto non-stick dehydrating sheets and divide it into squares.
Dehydrate until just dry if you want it to be bread-like. Dehydrate longer for crispy crackers that will keep for a couple months.

DO YOU WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY DEHYDRATED CRACKERS AND RECIPES I MADE THAT FLUMPED FLOPPED FLOOPED @#$%& SPAT IN THE GARBAGE. Its a learning thing. I still have not had a master recipe. I did like the raw onion crackers by Matt Amsden.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2015 05:46AM by suvine.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: August 17, 2015 08:12PM

autumn-vegan, it sounds like your crackers did ferment. As to whether or not you picked up some harmful bacteria in your cracker dough, I don't know. Maybe next time if you have to keep the dough longer, put them in the freezer.

Another alternative, if you do like the sour taste, is to put some probiotic powder into your dough, which will definitely ferment things, but the good lactic acid bacteria will make it hard for the bad bacteria to form.

Posted by: autumn-vegan ()
Date: August 18, 2015 11:42AM

Hey thanks you two!

That recipe sounds superb I will have to try it! And thanks for recommending that book. I'm looking that up as well. Adding lactic acid is a brilliant idea. I never thought my crackers would ferment. But now that I've seen it happen, I'm going to make less dough at once. Are there any blogs, books, or other materials you like on fermenting, or dehydrating?

Thanks again for replying I appreciate it (:

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 25, 2015 11:12PM

Prana

Cool information. Do you have any files on lactic acid formation /probiotics etc. I would love to read more on it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables