Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

mono-style eating
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 02, 2007 11:16PM

Hey I was just wondering who prefers to eat one type of ingredient at each meal and who prefers eating a variety?
I've found contradicting evidence so I was wondering what you all do?

(Also am starting a raw vegan diet on friday but am doing the shopping thursday..I was wondering what type of stuff you suggest for the first day of 100% raw?)

thanks
love beckyx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: mono-style eating
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 03, 2007 02:02AM

Variety is much more protective. This will a good base (kcals are listed last) and meet all requirements but for B12 and D. But you may need many more kcals than I do.

Lettuce, romaine, raw 0.75 head, 56.6
Turnip greens, raw 2 cup, chopped 35.2
Spinach, raw 1 cup 6.9
Avocados, raw, California 1 fruit without skin and seeds 288.9
Alfalfa seeds, sprouted, raw 2 cup 19.1
Tomatoes, red, ripe, raw, 1 medium whole (2-3/5" dia) 22.1
Onions, raw 1 small 29.4
Onions, spring or scallions, raw 1 large 8.0
Carrots, raw 1 medium 25.0
Nuts, walnuts, english 0.25 3 nuts 46.4
Seeds, pumpkin and squash seed kernels, dried 10 g 54.1
Cauliflower, raw 1 cup 25.0
Oil, olive, salad or cooking 1 tsp 39.8
Oranges, raw, Florida 1 fruit (2-5/8" dia) 64.9
Apples, raw, with skin 1 medium (2-3/4" dia) 71.8
Cranberries, raw 1 cup, chopped 50.6
Grapes, american type (slip skin), raw 1 cup 61.6
Strawberries, 1 cup 52.2
Blackberries, 0.5 cup 48.3
Mushrooms, raw 6 medium 23.8
Seeds, flaxseed 1 tbsp, whole 55.0
Cabbage, Napa 1 cup 16
Seeds, sunflower seed kernels, dried 15g 85.5
Cucumber, with peel, raw 1 cucumber (8-1/4"winking smiley 45.2
Celery, raw 7 stalks, medium (7-1/2" - 8" long) 39.2
Brazil nut, dried 1 medium

Date: January 03, 2007 02:18AM

variety is the spice of life but I do "mono-eating" certain foods like figs, watermelon, apples.

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 03, 2007 04:16AM

I do both but i have been playing more and more with mono eating. What seems to happen is that variety stimulates appetite. So if I eat one thing until I'm full then naturally i get bored of that food and don't want anymore. But if I decide to switch to another food the appetite can come back and i can eat more! (until my tummy aches!) Also if i mix a lot of ingredients together, i don't get the same "stop" signal as i do when i mono-eat. Right now I probably do about 1/2 and 1/2 -- 1/2 monoeating fruit meals, and half smoothies or juices or salads, etc.

I hear great experiences from people who mono eat most of the time. I would love to hear more as an inspiration.

Love,
Uma

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: January 03, 2007 04:33AM

I do mostly mono, and mostly fruits.
My experience is that by mixing, I will tend to overeat. But mono, I feel full easier, and I feel better overall.
It helps in keeping the grocery bill down ;-)

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 03, 2007 12:06PM

I've eaten mono-meals only for years now. It is my experience / opinion that this really helps cut down on the mixed digestive signals that the body receives...and helps truly sensitize a person to what their body likes and dislikes. I also think eating that way....should be taken in slowly...and at a pace that is right for each individual. I think many individuals will choose to eat simpler, mono-style meals as they progress along THEIR raw goals / path. Like eating all fruit, I don't think it's a diet that many folks can simply choose to wake up one morning and do completely. But rather, a tool that can be implemented by degrees to speed detox (if desired) and improve one's digestion.

-Just my opinions, which I hope are helpful.

-David Z. Mason

Date: January 03, 2007 02:22PM

thanku for the help! I will do mono eating but eat a variety throughout the day! yum raw food.
thankyou for the list arugula. But it's got me wondering is that enough to maintain weight? Can u eat less on a raw vegan diet and still maintain your weight?

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: January 03, 2007 05:33PM

I was just feeling the urge to mono eat yesterday.... so today when i woke up... i ate three pears...and i am still stuffed......

I have been leaning towards trying mono for a LONG LONG Time...and i think that it may help me get up to 90 percent

so i'll try it today and for as long as it feels right.....

tiffntwins

Posted by: ryandvan ()
Date: January 03, 2007 09:44PM

As a rule of thumb, I feel best on mono. It is my standard about 70% of the time. Sometimes I think that certain foods can also help complement the digestive process, however (i.e. symbiosis). For instance, an acid fruit (like lime) might help brake down the roughage of greens. For this reason, I will occasionally mix things up a bit, and if I don't do it too much, it actually feels better then mono . . . this is still following general food combining of course . . .

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 05, 2007 01:03AM

Thanks, it is great to hear of people really into the mono. It does feel good to me when I do it. Sometimes it seems like I am not ready for how good it does make me feel! Like, if I eat only one food and don't overeat on it, then I have so much energy left over... maybe there is a tempering to get to the place where digestion takes so little of your daily energy. I am enjoying the exploration!

Love,
Uma

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 07, 2007 05:01PM

hey davey mason]

i didn't know u were a mono eater

no wonder yer so cool!

everything in the world makes sense now smiling smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 07, 2007 06:54PM

Ha! ha! It's YOUR support that makes me so cool LaV! I hope things are going well. House should be up by April 2007 - so I'd like to schedule the first RawFoodFarm Retreat for May 25th - 28th (Memorial Day Weekend), 2007. What do you think?

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 08, 2007 06:15AM

i asprie to eat mono meals always, stereo is appealing to me too

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 08, 2007 01:39PM

I DO Stereo only on my recordings winking smiley

Mono I believe IS the ONLY way to go, if maximum benefit and health is desired.

That's how nature gives it to Us.. winking smiley

So Mono Eating a Variety of Fruits(FOODS), keeping: Right fruit at right time, Time between meals, as well as different king of fruit IS THE.... BEST

That alone helped me to cure my Asthmatic symptoms, and overeating(comming from lack of time and to much strresssss winking smiley

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 09, 2007 06:19AM

I eat about 95% of my fruit meals mono the only time I dont is when I run out of one type of fruit I was eating or its not ripe yet and I am still a little hungry not to often.

I try to have a good supply of fruit ripe n ready.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables