Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

acid
Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: January 03, 2007 05:42PM

i am 70-80 percnet raw and striving for 90....

i have a history of heartburn... in the past my doctor said no ulcers....

About once a month for two days.. i get a sharp stabbing pain in my back, just under my right shoulder blade. it is from my acidic stomach (that is what my body is telling me, and i'm sure it is right)

I go to great lengths to relieve this pain as it is EXCRUTIATING... but wonder if i'm not making it worse... i do everything from drinking baking soda water to trying to eat bananas. but banans just make me feel like i'm MORE on fire.....

it does not happen as often now that i am closer to being all raw.... but i jsut had a bout of htis a week ago.

foods that seem to trigger it are coffee and anything fried or anything with a high fat content that also contains sugar...

now, i don't get alot of these foods, maybe once a month or so.... but my reaction to them does seem to be extreme.....

anyone else have experience wtih this feeling? what are some other "remedies" for when this happens. there are times that this happens when i have not eaten coffee or fried/fatty foods.

ne opinion is appreciated.... ( and yes, i already know to try to eliminate these things completely LOL)

tiffntwins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: acid
Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: January 03, 2007 07:44PM

I had similar pains and traced them to coffee (any kind - organic or decaf) and lack of pure water in my body. I couldn't believe the difference in my overall wellbeing when I finally started forcing myself to drink lots of water. It took bouts of terrible pain to drive me to trying it. My wonderful chiropractor finally convinced me.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 03, 2007 08:59PM

I would suggest eating leafy greens as they are very alkalising. Maybe a green juice would help. If you look at [www.acid-base.de] you can see that bananas are alkalising at -5.5 but greens are even more alkalising, with kale at -7.8, arugula -7.5 and spinach an amazing -14.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: January 03, 2007 09:33PM

Yes Tiffany, Yes!!

I had been to several emergency rooms years ago, I thought it was gallstones or something - they said "No, you just have some elevated liver enzymes, fatty liver - nothing to worry about."

I was like, YEAH RIGHT nothing to worry about! The pain was excruciating & they wouldn't give me any pain killers - they said "just take some benadryl so you can fall asleep"

I decided then & there that doctors suck & don't actually know squat. I swear, if you have something they can't diagnose, they act like you made it up and eye you with suspicion. And this was at Brigham & Women's Hospital and Massachusetts General, two of the best hospitals in the country.

I was so mad when I walked out of there - I was like, fine, if you're too dumb to figure it out then I'll figure it out myself.

And I did. Baby carrots. That's the cure.

(at least it was for me - hopefully, if you have the same thing, then it'll work for you too.) ----

What it felt like was at first it started like a dull feeling in my stomach, then to feeling like a rock in my stomach, then a knot below my right shoulder blade then I would try to massage, then it just progressed to sharp, shooting pain, which would last all night.

I think it is the liver freaking out about some alcohol/carbohydrate/cooked fat combo that it can't deal with. Once the damage is done though I've found it best to just STOP, step away from the digestive system, and let it pass - meaning take a sleeping pill to knock myself out because I can't sleep on that pain. Then the next morning I wake up & my stomach still feels yucky - so before eating anything else (b/c that can easily spark another episode) - I eat nearly an entire bag of baby carrots. And just like that, like magic - it's gone. Then I can go about my day eating like normal. I figured this out years ago, before I became a raw foodist. Used to happen about once a month, at least. Got to the point where I would know to eat baby carrots the day after drinking as a preventative measure. With that, and cutting out carb/fat combos, I got it down to just a handful of episodes a year.

At 10 months raw it's happened only twice and much, much less severe than it used to be - didn't even need a sleeping pill for the pain.

Good luck and definitely share your results! I'm curious!

Posted by: tiffany martinez ()
Date: January 03, 2007 09:34PM

WOAH spinach -14!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 03, 2007 09:47PM

Carrots are -4.9, which is reasonable, it would be interesting to know if baby carrots are more alkalising than regular carrots.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Date: January 03, 2007 09:55PM

I'm not sure it has to do with that so much though - logic wise carrots don't make sense but I've tried many other veggies (even as a cooked food meat eater I knew to cure myself with raw veggies) --- and for some reason carrots work best. It was my intuition actually that told me to eat baby carrots and when I tried to substitute other things it just didn't work. Brazil nuts were the next best thing that worked.

Date: January 03, 2007 09:56PM

btw I say baby carrots only b/c I'm too lazy to peel regular carrots.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2007 09:57PM by sunshine79.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 04, 2007 01:00AM

>baby carrots only b/c I'm too lazy to peel regular carrots.

I've eaten carrots nearly every day of my adult life. But I have never peeled a single one! Why would you want to peel it? The nutrients are more highly concentrated at the peel.

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: January 04, 2007 01:45AM

I think I got the idea from Harvey Diamond that eating raw celery neutralises acid quickly for occasional (not chronic) problems. I've used it and given it to others who've said it helped.

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 04, 2007 01:27PM

Yes, i could "second that" by 100X.. any and all ways to neutralize acids: carrots baby carrots, celery SPINACH!..

I'll Add: FRESHLU SQUEEZED: LEMON JUICE! smiling smiley

That may effectively neutralize acid fastest.. or just maybe after spinach winking smiley
"acidic" taste IS ONLY to our mouth. to our body CRUCIAL Is: water comming from lemon, AND its' alkaline properties..
YET On the acid table(http://www.acid-base.de/tabelle.htm) MOST Alkalising are: #1 Raisins -21 points, and #2 Figs -18,1
Of Course SCALE ot those is NOT ACID SCALE of 0 to 14, on which our blood is alkaline: 7,365

Most important: Sleeping pill takes off pain, and allows for ACID to dissolve your veins, blood cells:.
One MUST 1. either neutralise it, OR Dissolve it.

BEST WAY is:
1. Drinking a LOTS of water: that ALLOWS to get rid of excess acid by urine, and sweat.
2. Neutralising by: drinking freshly squeezed juices: carrot IS PERFECT, but when eaten fully you must eat 10 x more of it to neutralise acids.. that's because amino acids, and fiber "make" our body to use acid for digestion: fresh, sweet watery fruit, or liquid IS a Key to DEACYDIFING Blood/ digestive system.
YET!, the very fibers, that our body cannot digest absorb lots of acid and toxins removing them safely from our body.

SO: 1. dring water: best if it is CLEAN water, or just boiled: Wait for it to cool down and drink it just like hot tea: 2, 3 glasses:
Perspiration caused by hot water, widen blood capillaries, vessels WILL remove some of acid, and diluted acid will be "less irritant" and easier to remove by our kidneys.

2. try to NOT fall asleep before burning sensation does not pass, 2 trips to bathroom should make Pain killer not necessary addition, that acidifies our body.

..now.. DRINKING(vodka, any alcohol) IS after coffee and Milk THE BIGGEST ACID Creating "STUFF" We do..

.. so i Choose NOT to drink alcohol, at least NOT in its refined state winking smiley

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables