Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Poppy seed and sesame seed sprouts
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: December 01, 2015 09:17AM

I will try to post pics tomorrow or as soon as I can take a picture with good color.

Sprouted poppy seed:
(the jar was too packed, so some sprouts are almost microgreens, while some are just budding. I waited for a week to make the video to really show the tails, because they are hard to see only a few days old).

THe true color is not really visible in the video. I will have to remake this video one day in the sun.

[www.youtube.com]

sprouted brown and black sesame seed:

the only trick I can share is that sesame likes humidity and it sprouts quickly that way. So when I don't have a super fine mesh screen, I use saran wrap to cover the top about 3/4ths, so the humidity will speed it along. I use the bare minimum water to soak. THe sproutarian man corrected me and said I should let it soak only for 4-6 hours, not over night like I did.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Poppy seed and sesame seed sprouts
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: December 07, 2015 09:52PM

Thanks for the info
I love sprouting black sesame seeds
I need to add poppy seeds, it seems they require more work but I guess it is worth because they are so packed with nutrients

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/2015 09:53PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 07, 2015 11:43PM

Tai Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I will try to post pics tomorrow or as soon as I
> can take a picture with good color.
>
> Sprouted poppy seed:
> (the jar was too packed, so some sprouts are
> almost microgreens, while some are just budding.
> I waited for a week to make the video to really
> show the tails, because they are hard to see only
> a few days old).
>
> THe true color is not really visible in the video.
> I will have to remake this video one day in the
> sun.
>
> [www.youtube.com]

Thanks so much for that video on the sprouted poppy Tai, that was a real highlight for me because l have been wanting to see proper sprouted poppy for years.

Like l suspected, the poppy is like sesame in that it needs good warmth to initially germinate. Yes, when using such a small jar l would advise only 5 - 7 tablespoons at most, otherwise you will get uneven sprouting. Sprouting for 7 days is a really bad idea also because taste would likely decline and you will get a tangled mess.

I've grown sesame seed microgreens and can say it is not desirable. Of course one could spray sesame on cloth and grow microgreens, but it is not a beefy green and is best used as a 1 - 2 day old sprout to provide a hearty meal instead. Sesame is at it's best after 1 - 2 days of sprouting, and l suspect poppy is at it's best after only a short time also. We don't always need the tails of sprouts to be long...sometimes really short tails are better for some sprouts such as sesame and likely poppy. Other times a longer tail is more desirable.

If sesame is sprouted with a longer tail they taste too bitter. If you sprout it for a really short time you can even get a nice nutty taste.

If you remake the poppy video l would love you to sprout a much smaller amount and only sprout for a short time in warm heat and then try to get a close up camera shot of the really microscopic tails so we can see poppy sprouts at it absolute best...nice and even and beautiful!

Thanks Tai for the video, really awesome stuff!

Regards: The Sproutarian man.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 07, 2015 11:56PM

Can't believe l missed this thread and only discovered it now. Lucky l found it!

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 08, 2015 01:23AM

Okay, Sproutarian Man, I will do as you ask. I need to get a big magnifying glass to really show the beautiful kidney shape of the sprout for the camera.

I only sprouted it for a week, because I got busy and forgot about it. I completely agree about sesame sprouts...too long means too bitter.

I also really need to experiment with varying temperatures, because poppy seed is trickier than sesame seed.

Sproutarian Man, I have to be honest. Instead of using Lou's probiotic to make yogurt, I just blend my sprouted seeds with citrus juice and allow the acids of the juice to break down the pureed seeds. I usually use orange and lemon. I really feel like sesame yogurt is so good for my body, but I still only blend with citrus. I think it's a time issue for me. I use sprouted brown sesame seed for salad dressings, sprouted black sesame for fruit salads and the same with sprouted poppy. I do feel the benefit of the yogurt, but it's going to have to wait until I am better organized.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 01:34AM by Tai.

Date: December 08, 2015 03:50AM

> I just blend my sprouted seeds with citrus juice and allow the acids of the juice to break down the pureed seeds. I usually use orange and lemon.

The SproutarianMan would probably provide the correct answer but I do not combine citrus fruits with seeds. To make my seeds yoghurt I would use fermented water from other ferments. With seeds that can be sprouted and fermented like sunflower seeds, then I would use the water from the same ferment.

Citrus, (tomatoes: see discussion), pineapple, strawberries and other acid fruits should not be eaten with nuts, cheese, eggs or meat. Acid fruits inhibit the flow of gastric juice. The digestion of protein requires an unhampered flow.
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

If the seeds are not sprouted one easy solution like Ann Wigmore used to do it is to blend them with simple water and put it in a container, cover it and let it sit for 8 hours, the yogurt will ferment. This works well for pumpkin and sunflower seeds that are not sprouted.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 03:54AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 08, 2015 05:38AM

Tai Wrote:
> Sproutarian Man, I have to be honest. Instead of
> using Lou's probiotic to make yogurt, I just blend
> my sprouted seeds with citrus juice and allow the
> acids of the juice to break down the pureed seeds.
> I usually use orange and lemon.

Whoa...so radical Tai. Also such a pity you miss the great benefits of the grain rejuvalic for breaking down the sprouted seeds. sad smiley

You could never ever convince me to puree my seeds in fruit juices, no way! I am just like `wow, people really do that type of thing'? I'd rather eat like a king and ferment my seed meals in a grain rejuvalic to get an amylase, protease and lipase rich ferment. How many ferments are super duper enzyme packed and nutrient rich like my one?...probably none. Food based enzymes make extremely high vitamin rich foods when fermented and sprouted, however the fruit juice based mixture wouldn't have the big massive nutritional enzyme rich mixture.

I hope you do the rejuvalic one day Tai, you are missing out on brilliant first class combinations of goodness.

The fermented sprouted seeds in grain based rejuvalic is the true super food. You think these powders are superfoods? Ugh ugh. The amylase, protease and lipase rich ferment full of minerals, vitamins and phytochemicals are the powerhouses. People either can have the stripped down versions done in fruit juice or have the big powerhouse versions...I choose the big powerhouse versions each and everytime.

Had a big ferment this morning and feel immortal today. I had the big daddy of vitamin rich lunches with hydilla and sprouted fermented sunflower. Doesn't get better than that. It tasted so good.

You reckon almond coconut yogurt compares to the grain based rejuvalic sprouted seed yogurt? No way!!! Not even close. The yogurts l make are as good as it gets. I come out and say these things because l want people to get the benefit of top notch food super foods. I like to do things at a very high level, hence sprouting and sprouted ferments etc. Lou's way is really good, but it is not at the very top.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 05:50AM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: December 08, 2015 06:33AM

How Many Poppy Seeds Are Too Many?
[www.youtube.com]

Soaking poppy can reduce morphine content of poppy by about half or sometimes more.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: December 08, 2015 06:37AM

TSM wrote

Whoa...so radical Tai. Also such a pity you miss the great benefits of the grain rejuvalic for breaking down the sprouted seeds.

Tai
What about just adding enzyme powder to the puree? I guess the ferment is supposed to increase certain vitamin values, like K2? It's just a time issue sometimes. YOu have to make the rejuvelac ahead of time. I even have Lou's probiotic sitting in my fridge and I usually don't have time to wait for it to take effect. Well, I am trying to change, especially this month.

TSM:
I hope you do the rejuvalic one day Tai, you are missing out on brilliant first class combinations of goodness.

Tai:
I have tried your recipe, and I love it. It's something that greatly impressed me about you. I am really impressed by its power and strength to heal. I once made a bad batch and I quickly figured out how I could have gone wrong, but I realize that when you have a bad batch, it's unmistakeable, so I don't see how someone could actually drink anything but a good batch (and immediately discard a bad one), unless they have lost their sense of taste and smell. I don't doubt the power of rejuvelac. It's just a time and organization issue.

This is a good reminder for me to start doing it again, as i am really trying to get strict with my diet.

Date: December 08, 2015 06:49AM

TSM
How Many Poppy Seeds Are Too Many?
[www.youtube.com]

Soaking poppy can reduce morphine content of poppy by about half or sometimes more.

Tai:
One time I made a paste with raw poppy seeds (not sprouted and not even soaked or rinsed). I ate 50 g of butter (that is how well I made the paste), based on how much calcium I wanted to consume. There was no warning label to the seeds. Anyway, I felt it was slightly psychoactive and it made me sleepy. Everyone I have give it to with insomnia, it really helps. The only problem is that it's hard for me to make the paste.

But, yeah, you wouldn't want to try eat that much without rinsing it and ideally sprouting it, if you want to be able to function during the daytime. I can see that rinsing it too many times, though, can rinse away all the milkiness, which can't be good for the mineral levels.

Date: December 08, 2015 06:58AM

Someone asked me privately how I make sesame seed yogurt.

It's easy. I use Lou's way.

I sprout the seed first. Then I place it in the vitamix blender with just some water (enough to blend but not too much). Once it is blended, I add a scoop of the probiotic powder and blend again for a few seconds and pour into a mason jar. I put a lid on it loosely, so there is a bit of air, but not big enough for a fruit fly to enter, in case there is one around. The jar sits on the counter for 4 hours before tightening the lid and placing in the refrigerator. I usually have it the next day and the day after.

So that is Lou's way and I do see Sproutarian Man's point in doing it his way. One day I am going to do it TSM's way.

Date: December 08, 2015 06:18PM

I never used any starter from outside, just some fermented water from other ferments or just let the seed yogurt sit for 8 hours and it will ferment on its own.

There are jars with lid on the market

[jet.com]

[www.ebay.com]

[www.lehmans.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 06:23PM by RawPracticalist.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:08PM

RawPracticalist Wrote:
> I never used any starter from outside, just some
> fermented water from other ferments or just let
> the seed yogurt sit for 8 hours and it will
> ferment on its own.

A starter should make a better batch and get it off to a better start. Developing a special strain of rejuvalic over a period of time (months or years) for ferments is always a good idea.

Soaking in water is so ordinary. Highly developed strains is a good thing.

Soaking sunflower seeds in a highly developed rejuvalic strain for upto three days (weather depending) makes amazing yogurt.

Low level soaking of seeds in water for 8 hours = meh./

Tai, i'll get back to your posts later.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2015 10:09PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: December 08, 2015 10:23PM

The Sproutarian Man Wrote:

> A starter should make a better batch and get it
> off to a better start. Developing a special strain
> of rejuvalic over a period of time (months or
> years) for ferments is always a good idea.
>

Good point, I will try using starters.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables