Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Like or dislike young coconuts?
Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 05, 2007 02:25AM

I bought 4 young coconuts, and while the water from them is ok (I prefer the water from the mature coconut), I just don't like the meat inside. I do use a small scoop to add to my smoothie that I make with the water and that's ok because I use other fruits like bananas and fresh pineapple, which masks the young coconut taste.

Anyone else not like young coconuts? Also, I'm wondering which water is healthier, is the water from the mature or young coconut?

Anyone here shred their mature coconut meat often? It's kind of hard to eat too much mature coconut meat, unless you are adding it to raw recipes.

Love,
Prism

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Like or dislike young coconuts?
Posted by: morrisson66 ()
Date: January 05, 2007 02:33AM

i love the water and think the meat is ok. I like adding the meat to stuff though to smooth it out. One of my favorite things is a chocolate shake with coconut water, meat and cacao powder. I put maca in a lot of times too and sometimes some cinnamon and agave.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 06, 2007 12:41AM

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 06, 2007 03:18PM

I have not found a young coconut in my area. Where do you buy them?

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: January 07, 2007 01:03AM

I bought mine at Jimbos in Carlsbad, Ca. I've heard besides the whole foods stores you could try Asian stores.

Love,
Prism

Date: January 07, 2007 02:52AM

You guys are going to love this one.. and I think that it's the case because there is a University here with a decent size asian population... but they have them at WalMart sometimes. That means they can get them. I truly avoid shopping at Walmart unless it's an extreme case, but I bought 4 young coconuts there. And they were yummy too!

Date: January 07, 2007 06:29AM

love them. there isn't really much water in a mature coco so it's the young ones for me. i have a juice press too so i do sometimes use the mature meat to make coconut cream (so rich!) and little likes to eat it too. he's not fond of the young jelly flesh so i get to have it all to myself, ha ha!

Posted by: pikt ()
Date: January 07, 2007 06:37AM

i cannot stand young coconut-tried many times but under no circumstances have i even slightly liked the water or the meat.age can be a good thing.

Posted by: annie27 ()
Date: January 07, 2007 09:44PM

I like them now but I didn't when I first tried them - too gelatinous and fatty.
I don't eat much fat now and my diet is all raw and very plain.
When they're fresh, they taste very nice and slightly sweet. But most of the ones I get here in Vancouver are past their prime and have a different flavour.

Date: January 08, 2007 02:54PM

annie... I found the coconuts at the superstore to actually be fairly fresh... of course this is from a North American guy who has never really tasted a truly fresh young coconut. The one by Metrotown had the freshest tasting ones.

Posted by: sachelle ()
Date: February 04, 2007 04:43AM

Prism i totally agree with you...i just posted somewhere else where i had asked if anyone knew of places i could find different fruits....today i found young coconuts and bought 4 of them got them home and was very disappointed...although now i still have 3 left what to do haha....
xoxooxoxoxoxoxo
sachelle

Posted by: taylor ()
Date: February 04, 2007 05:09AM

Hi everyone! i have never seen the young coconuts...but how u describe them ,sachelle...maybe i would not like them either.are they more fattening or are the mature ones more fattening?thanks taylor

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: February 04, 2007 05:17AM

Does anyone know where these coconuts are coming from? Is it from out of the US? If so,can we be sure that they aren't treated in any way? Thanks for the info.
Brian

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 04, 2007 05:45AM

Our coconuts are always fresh here in Hawaii, and maybe the taste is better when they're fresh. The taste here is a very subtle sweetness.

Here we don't say "young coconuts" because nobody eats the hard meat. If the meat is hard, that would be an "old coconut". We call the good soft meat "spoon meat". The meat is best when the coconut is just old enough for the meat to turn white, but it is still just a tiny bit opaque, and you can scrape it out easily with a spoon. I think the Hawaiians have a different name for each of several different stages of the meat.

Many people will say that the best coconut water is the champagne water that tastes just a bit bubbly.

The harder the coconut is, the more oil in the meat.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 04, 2007 01:24PM

morrisson66 is it because the metrotown Superstore has (I am guessing) the highest turnover of coconuts? I usually shop at the Richmond Superstore.

Date: February 04, 2007 01:25PM

suncloud, what do you mean by champagne water? Is it a variety of coconut or is it a fermenting one?

Posted by: Applered ()
Date: February 04, 2007 01:46PM

I don't care for them too much.

Date: February 04, 2007 01:47PM

Like or Dislike?

None of the above!

I *LOVE* young coconuts. I absolutely adore the water. Mmm. That reminds me what I have sitting in my fridge... you guessed it! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 01:49PM by carey.

Date: February 04, 2007 01:49PM

Applered, carey... you guys are on at this time?!? Its 5:49 AM here!

Date: February 04, 2007 01:51PM

VeganLife Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Applered, carey... you guys are on at this time?!?
> Its 5:49 AM here!

Hi VeganLife. Not quite. I live in Australia (and love it!). It's only 12:50am down under :-).

Date: February 04, 2007 01:53PM

LOL! I wish I could instantly be there so I could gain some time!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 04, 2007 05:05PM

VeganLife,

The champagne water doesn't come from any particular kind of coconut, and it's not at all fermented. It's just a stage that the water goes through. The water is sweet and just a little bubbly.

Nice picture, Carey!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2007 05:06PM by suncloud.

Date: February 04, 2007 11:50PM

Taylor, the mature ones are more fattening and not as good for you....the young coconuts are the ones you want!!!! yeah i just don't know the water tastes funky haha....i made a smoothie with one last night though.....i put some frozen grapes a banana and the water from the coconut oh yeah and an apple with some green mix..it wasn't bad the taste was disguised.....i found some recipes that call for coconuts i was going to try but one said 3 Cups of coconut meat and you don't even get 2 tablespoons in one coconut it woudl be like 50 dollars worth of coconuts....i found mine at a raw vegan store here in san diego....
whole foods or jimbo's have them too
smiling smiley
love
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
sachelle

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 05, 2007 12:06AM

carey, is the flower to eat too or just for the viewing pleasure? Looks tempting!

I love young coconut smoothie - meat and water blended.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: February 05, 2007 05:46AM

Gosia i have heard that these smoothies are great but how much coconut meat do you actually get out of it??? am i just not buying rip enough ones?? I bought 4 from the only vegan/raw food store in san diego and they had just arrived so maybe they aren't ripe enough...because there was only like 2 spoonfuls of meat if that in 2 of the 4 so far....I saw inrecipes you are supposed to add like 1-3 cups how do you manage that??
love
sachelle

Posted by: Yogamama ()
Date: February 05, 2007 04:03PM

LOVE them. And my daughter would eat one everyday if she could. But they are expensive here, so I only buy a few each week. She loves to just put a straw in them and drink the water. Sometimes she shares it with us. Then we make smoothies out of the meat and whatever water is left. I also try not to eat too many because of the high fat content.

Posted by: JGex ()
Date: February 05, 2007 05:03PM

Here's something to ponder about the water from mature coconuts - I read somewhere that the real coconut water is removed from mature coconuts and replaced with tap water where they are processed and the hole used to do this is then plugged with wax. I didn't believe it, but since I had one mature coconut at the house, I took a nail and tested each of the 3 spots.... one of them gave way with just a little pressure convincing me there might be something to it....

Judy

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 05, 2007 10:53PM

sachelle, I never measure how much meat is in a coconut. I just blend the lot. Sometimes smoothies are thicker, sometimes not. We blend about 3-4 coconuts for a meal for Luke (my husband) and I. We've never had too little meat, but we've had some bad coconuts (rotten) which I had to discard. We haven't had a coconut smoothie for a while though. We are having fun with other fruit at the moment.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Date: February 06, 2007 01:53AM

I like both young and mature coconuts. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of coconut palms on my property. I love the texture of younger coconut meat but I also love the amount of things I can do with more mature coconut meat (making coconut milk, shredding it to add to soups/salads etc)

My website: The Coconut Chronicles

Posted by: Cecilia ()
Date: February 06, 2007 02:12AM

Like!
By itself the thai young coconut meat is not that great compared to the fresh green ones in Hawaii or other tropical places. With that said here is what you can do with the young coconut meat:

Blend the meat with the water and add a vanilla bean to make an out of this world shake!

They are great in desserts, especially to impress friends and family.

My absolute favorite: dehydrate the meat! It tastes like candysmiling smiley

Best Wishes,
C

Get Your Free Raw Food Starter Guide E-Book at:
[www.rawglow.com]

Find Your Inner Glow!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables