Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!
 

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 10, 2016 03:41PM

unless you are into "fake" foods. Plastic in food? I would have never thought...


[blogs.naturalnews.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: January 10, 2016 10:27PM

We have to worry about these things.
Plastic rice ?
Even if we are not eating these things many innocent will be and their lives will affect us all

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: Ifeelgood ()
Date: January 12, 2016 10:09PM

I can't believe some of those fake foods, it also mentioned that Chinese garlic is sold in the US!

"Chinese Garlic
US inspectors have also found tainted garlic from China. Garlic from China is sprayed with chemicals more than abundantly and this garlic leaves a bad aftertaste, that of a chemical concoction. 31% of Garlic sold in the US is from China."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:21PM

Yuck!

The "plastic rice" thing brings to mind a bag of cheap store brand "brown rice" I bought a few years ago. I know how to make rice properly yet this rice did not really absorb the water and remained hard despite cooking it for way longer than it should have taken to cook. Very strange. We threw it out figuring it was stale or something. Makes me wonder if it was the stuff mentioned in this article...

I cannot afford all organic and try to only buy the 'worst offenders' for pesticides and GMO-potential organic. Guess I'll have to add garlic to that list of organic only from now on. Seems the list of things you can eat without worrying about pumping poison into your body gets smaller and smaller all the time.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2016 12:47PM

Kiwibird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yuck!
>
> The "plastic rice" thing brings to mind a bag of
> cheap store brand "brown rice" I bought a few
> years ago. I know how to make rice properly yet
> this rice did not really absorb the water and
> remained hard despite cooking it for way longer
> than it should have taken to cook. Very strange.
> We threw it out figuring it was stale or
> something. Makes me wonder if it was the stuff
> mentioned in this article...
>
> I cannot afford all organic and try to only buy
> the 'worst offenders' for pesticides and
> GMO-potential organic. Guess I'll have to add
> garlic to that list of organic only from now on.
> Seems the list of things you can eat without
> worrying about pumping poison into your body gets
> smaller and smaller all the time.

KiWibird, I've got good news for you.


Usually at the end of the growing season good organic Gilroy garlic goes on sale for half off for a short amount of time. I buy a huge amount of it at that time and then slice them all up thinly in the food processor and dehydrate them as thin chips(in the garage for that task).

In my experience, when stored airtight and dry after processing, they retain their flavor for many years (at least 7 years). You can powder the dried slices as needed. They taste like they have been roasted so make a great addition to raw recipes and to use to extend your fresh garlic in recipes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2016 03:55PM

Ifeelgood Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I can't believe some of those fake foods, it also
> mentioned that Chinese garlic is sold in the US!
>
> "Chinese Garlic
> US inspectors have also found tainted garlic from
> China. Garlic from China is sprayed with chemicals
> more than abundantly and this garlic leaves a bad
> aftertaste, that of a chemical concoction. 31% of
> Garlic sold in the US is from China."

The Chinese garlic that has found it's way into stores around my area is truly hideous looking. Once you've seen it you'll be able to spot it a half a store away from then on. Check it out. Stepford garlic.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: you don't have to worry about these things
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 13, 2016 05:04PM

organic1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Kiwibird Wrote:
> >
> --------------------------------------------------
>
> > -----
> > > Yuck!
> > >
> > > The "plastic rice" thing brings to mind a bag
> > of
> > > cheap store brand "brown rice" I bought a few
> > > years ago. I know how to make rice properly
> yet
> > > this rice did not really absorb the water and
> > > remained hard despite cooking it for way
> longer
> > > than it should have taken to cook. Very
> > strange.
> > > We threw it out figuring it was stale or
> > > something. Makes me wonder if it was the
> stuff
> > > mentioned in this article...
> > >
> > > I cannot afford all organic and try to only
> buy
> > > the 'worst offenders' for pesticides and
> > > GMO-potential organic. Guess I'll have to add
> > > garlic to that list of organic only from now
> > on.
> > > Seems the list of things you can eat without
> > > worrying about pumping poison into your body
> > gets
> > > smaller and smaller all the time.
> >
> > KiWibird, I've got good news for you.
> >
> >
> > Usually at the end of the growing season good
> > organic Gilroy garlic goes on sale for half off
> > for a short amount of time. I buy a huge amount
> of
> > it at that time and then slice them all up
> thinly
> > in the food processor and dehydrate them as
> thin
> > chips(in the garage for that task).
> >
> > In my experience, when stored airtight and dry
> > after processing, they retain their flavor for
> > many years (at least 7 years). You can powder
> the
> > dried slices as needed. They taste like they
> have
> > been roasted so make a great addition to raw
> > recipes and to use to extend your fresh garlic
> in
> > recipes.
>
> Very interesting, i don't have a dehydrator
> currently. Have you ever tried eating these
> "garlic chips" whole for the medicinal benefits of
> garlic ?
>
> Sounds like it could be a tasty way to get more
> raw garlic into the diet, maybe dilute half with
> some raw onion and a sprinkle of
> anti-cancer/anti-oxidant spices like turmeric,
> black pepper and a pinch of himalayan pink salt.
> Spicy medicinal chips lol.
>
> Im a big fan of raw kale chips to be honest, i
> need to get a dehydrator so i can make my own and
> play around with different flavors.

If you eat many kale chips you can save a ton of money making your own. Invest in a square dehydrator with slide in trays and good heat controls. The round ones that heat from below suck, for many reasons, IMO. And since these dehydrated foods, properly stored, have a very long shelf life it makes sense to get the 9 tray instead of the 5 tray model so you can make huge batches of stuff when greens go on sale and at harvest times.

Well I just ate a garlic clove chip so I could answer your question and even though I have no problem making soups which have 4 fresh cloves of garlic in them that dehydrated chip was a little too strong for me. When you dehydrate it really condenses the flavors of foods. The chip was overwhelmingly potent to eat alone, IMO, even though I dehydrated it way back in 2010!

Dehydrating has the same effect on onions as it does on garlic. Dehydrated raw onions taste like they have been roasted. They are delicious and great to substitute for raw onions in dehydrator recipes such as Cara Brotman's fantastic raw Naan bread.

Markus Rothkranz has good videos showing how to make your own green powders in your blender from your dehydrated foods which are well worth the time of watching and implementing into every health conscious persons routine, IMO.

Options: ReplyQuote


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.


Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables