Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you eat corn?
Posted by: sweterson ()
Date: January 09, 2007 02:23PM

I'm reading a lot about how toxic it is. If raw, is it still toxic, moldy, fungal, etc.?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you eat corn?
Posted by: trinity082482 ()
Date: January 09, 2007 04:04PM

Raw corn is fine. I think its more of a taste thing. It's not dangerous but its a little but different than cooked corn, obviously its raw. If you dont like the taste of raw corn on its own or your afraid to try it, here is a good way to try it out.. how about in a salad?

Raw Sweet Corn Salad

1 large ear of raw sweet corn
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1 large ripe tomato, diced
3 Tblsp. parsley, minced
1 celery stalk, diced
1/4 cup sweet red onion, chopped

Remove kernels of corn from cob, dice tomato, dice celery, chop red pepper and onion, and mince the parsley. Combine in a bowl, cover and set in refrigerator

Use an avocado dressing.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 09, 2007 07:56PM

corn is corn is corn, raw or no. if you like it, eat it. i do.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 09, 2007 09:57PM

I frequently ate fresh, raw corn on my salads while transitioning and had no problems. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: rawlife ()
Date: January 10, 2007 10:25PM

you can get dried blue corn that is sproutable
you can make blue corn chips with this

brett

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 10, 2007 10:35PM

Sweeterson, what do you mean? I understand that there are various foods that are prone to getting aflatoxin. Not just peanuts. Have you read that corn is prone to getting aflatoxin? How is it that corn is moldy or is toxic in some way? I've never noticed any moldy taste or smelt it in raw corn. Nor seen mold.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Diana (Cda) ()
Date: January 10, 2007 10:47PM

Actually, if Dr. Young is to be believed, any form of corn is _not_ acceptable (mushrooms, too). I'll have to get the lines and post them here on what he says re these two foods but they do contain a toxin.

Me? My approach would be to rarely eat them but to not cut them out of my diet competely, esp. after achieving balance and health. I just would never make them a daily or even weekly part of my diet. Microforms, as Dr. Young instructs, (I think I have the term right. I'm going by memory, not too reliable a thing sometimes ... ! <g>winking smiley are what we are all fighting in today's lifestyles and diets. Foods like corn and mushrooms contain toxins which contribute to the bad microforms we all have, which, if I've understood it correctly, are organisms we have in our body that go bad. These are things like the candida yeast that get out of hand.

I recommend Dr. Young's book "The pH Miracle" to read as something to use as a guide along with anything else we've ever read. Not that I think that man is 100% correct, but he is a microbiologist and he's "treated" hundreds if not thousands of people (probably the latter). Though I'm leery of anything that smacks remotely as belonging to the allopathic world, it can't be doubted that someone who has the knowledge of conducting proper observations and recording them and to base all his tests on prior results has got to carry considerable weight. The thing that has gotten to me all these years I've been trying to get healthy on raw food was the lack of competent and organized research. Everything out there is written by lay-people. This is great! We need all the info we can get and all of it has immense value it's just that for me, Dr. Young is the first person to seemingly test a system that works. I was amazed at all the reported results in the book and I have a bit more confidence in actual results vs. the anecdotal evidence we seem to usually get. Yes, anecdotal evidence is extremely important, we all have our own anecdotal experiences to fall back on so we know what it's like. It's just so great to finally have some empiral evidence and experience, too. It makes for balance. And balance is what it's all about.

Good luck! Sorry for my ramble but I started the program, as it were, yesterday and hope to finally achieve the results I've been striving for in this 16-year journey towards health through raw food <crossing fingers>. I'm more hopeful now than I've ever been, thanks to Dr. Young's efforts.

I'll soon know, though! yawning smileyD

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: January 11, 2007 01:28AM

While I've seen corn on the cob at the market that was moldy, when I get the stuff from organic farmer's markets, or better yet pick corn from field and eat it there, there has not been any mold.

I am pretty sensitive to toxins in foods, and I've been able to eat 10 ears of corn in a cornfield and feel no ill effects. If there were something bad in that corn, my body would tell me. And its not that I eat corn all the time, so my body might be acclimated to any toxins in corn. I mostly eat fruit, but once in blue moon I'll eat a whole bunch of corn.

The one negative I've heard about is that GMO is so uncontrollable, that GMO corn can affect via pollination organic non-GMO corn, in fact, there is no way to prevent the contamination of non-GMO by the GMO. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be unfortunate if true.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:26AM

>The one negative I've heard about is that GMO is so uncontrollable, that GMO corn can affect via pollination organic non-GMO corn, in fact, there is no way to prevent the contamination of non-GMO by the GMO. I don't know if this is true or not, but it would be unfortunate if true.

Totally agree with this. The only downside I see to corn is who and what you are supporting when you buy it.

(This could be said of many other foods as well).

If it's fresh, from heirloom seeds and home grown, I see no reason to avoid it.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 11, 2007 04:54AM

I used to be afraid of it, but I tried some raw corn recently, look at the recipes section of this forum for picture, and I didn't really like it, being a fruitarian and all, I found it was like a potato, starchy..

but when i was a raw foodist i used to eat it raw on the cob, like at movies..

there are worst things to be afraid of, like cooked food, i would not worry too much over any raw vegetable or fruit.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 11, 2007 05:12AM

I have been eating raw corn for over 23 years not everyday but when I can buy fresh ripe corn in season I buy it and eat it .

I like the taste of sweet corn the first time I tried it was when i was visiting a organic farm many years ago.

I had it a few time this past summer .

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 11, 2007 11:07AM

Corn is neither a vegetable nor a fruit. It is a cereal grain.

Order: Poales

Family: Poaceae (also known as Gramineae, or grasses) which includes barley, wheat, oats, rice, bamboo shoots, sugar cane, alfalfa, molasses, rye, and millet.

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: January 11, 2007 03:06PM

Where have you been reading that corn is toxic? I eat it occasionally, I actually prefer it raw, never did like the boiled stuff.
I used cook it on the grill, but I don't grill anymore, lol.

Mold, fungi on corn? Can't say I've ever noticed.

Phil.

--------------------------------------------------

"Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it" (Chinese Proverb)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 11, 2007 06:57PM

just because you can't see, smell or taste mold doesn't mean that it isn't there. not that i'm avoiding corn, just saying...

when it's raw it doesn't get stuck in your teeth.

arugula, where you gettin' that plant cousin info? i love that stuff. aren't grapes and roses related? so cool.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables