Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Any runners???
Posted by: minou33 ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:13PM

I used to run 6 miles 5 times a week. Since focusing on becoming raw, I am worried that once I start running again or working out.. I will come home STARVING. I don't eat very much these days...but I'm usually not that hungry. When I would run, I would always come home and crave carbs..toast, some cereal, pasta, etc I always felt like I needed something heavy as oppossed to a salad or fruits. I was wondering what other runners eat to repenish their energy after a strenuous workout.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Any runners???
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 12, 2007 11:21PM

Sure. I love to run. I'm training for a mini-triathlon now. I'm early in my training schedule...so I'm at 1 mile a day.

-Why starve? Eat plenty of the fruits and vegetables that you LOVE and stay full. If you know you are full...and are getting enough nutrition....and you are STILL feeling 'empty'....then it is NOT a food issue...but probably an emotional one! Ha! ha! I eat a few avocados, a couple of apples, and some fresh orange juice most days.....and I do fine.

-I would just use your common sense and do some quick calculations and make sure that your caloric intake is more than adequate to fuel your intensive (and 30 miles a week is pretty intensive if you are not running for money! LOL) workout.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 13, 2007 12:43AM

A website dedicated to running on raw food: [www.rawrunner.co.uk]

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: uma ()
Date: January 13, 2007 02:05AM

Doug Graham (long term natural hygienist who eats mostly fruit) specializes in raw food for athletes. He has a lot of information and experience about how to succeed with raw food while doing regular workouts or even heavy heavy athletic training.

One thing I heard him say is that the best time to eat is right after a workout!

He has a forum at [www.vegsource.com] and his personal website is www.foodnsport.com

Love,
Uma

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: January 13, 2007 03:51AM

There are more and more vegan athletes out there. I am not sure where you can start so I'll give you rhis website address: www.brendanbrazier.com . He is a vegan athlete but has some stuf to sell. his site tough has links to others belonging to vegan athletes. Otherwise the easiest thing to do is to Google "vegan athlete" or "vegan runner" or "vegan sprinter" or "vegan marathoner" depending on what you do.

hope this helps!

Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: January 13, 2007 04:03AM

Im a runner! Im training for the New York City Marathon. I feel you on not having the "want" for fruits and veggies after a run. I usually eat oatmeal-cooked- but have a bannana with it. i am about 65 % raw. the 35% cooked comes after I run 10 miles!! smiling smiley

Go RuNNeRs!!

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 13, 2007 07:48AM

Hi Minou33,

Like you, I was recently running 6 miles 5 times a week. I'm now running about 4 miles every other day, but I love to run. I love the way it makes me feel. I also do yoga and an aerobic routine with handweights.

I'm a 100% raw fooder, and have been for some time, and I find I feel a lot better running without the burden of cooked food (even vegan cooked).

I eat mostly fruit and lots of it, but I also eat raw unhulled sesame seeds every day - about 1/4 to 1/2 cup - and usually 1/2 to a whole avocado every day. I also eat salads, but (as I've discussed in the past under "Ally"winking smiley, I'm somewhat sensitive to veggies, so I only eat a salad once or twice a week. Whenever I eat salads, I add raw wheat germ or sprouted wheat. The combination of the raw veggies and raw wheat seems to satisfy me for quite some time, and then I feel great going back to eating just fruits and nuts/seeds for the next several days.

You of course will have to experiment to see what raw foods regimen works best for you. On raw foods, you won't have the heavier starchy cooked carbs, but you can eat nuts and seeds (preferably organic) for a bit more staying power, and I personally find a small amount of wheat germ or sprouted wheat is very helpful.

Good luck,

Ally

Posted by: jamied1217 ()
Date: January 13, 2007 03:00PM

what is wheat germ??

Love you,
Jamie smiling smiley

Posted by: na(raw)dia ()
Date: January 13, 2007 04:01PM

Of course your body is going to aks for more calories since you're burning extra off, so just add more salads fruits etc. if you do have bad cravings. After a while you'll find a good balance and those cravings should go away, especially since your blood sugar stabilizes on raw.

Don't be afraid to try it, just listen to your body.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: January 13, 2007 04:49PM

I run often, about 10km each time. and I ride my bike every day for about 2 hours (commute and fun ride together), and I don't come home starving. I just eat fruits and greens, no worries

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: January 13, 2007 10:38PM

Hi Jamied,

The embryo of the wheat kernel is called "wheat germ". It's mechanically separated from the wheat kernel before the kernel is milled to make white flour. Whole wheat flour is milled without separating the germ from the kernel. One of the reasons white flour is so lacking in nutrition is that the wheat germ has been removed.

You can google "wheat germ" for lots more info.

Wheat germ is available either raw or cooked. The raw wheat germ can be purchased from health food stores either in the bulk bins or prepacked. I always buy it prepackaged because the bulk wheat germ is often not fresh, and the quality and taste of the bulk wheat germ is much poorer than the prepackaged wheat germ. After opening the package, it keeps really well in the refrigerator.

I usually add about 1/4 cup of raw wheat germ to a salad once or twice a week. It tastes really good, and has a nice texture. SPROUTED wheat is even better in my opinion than raw wheat germ because sprouted wheat is whole and growing, but I like wheat germ too.

Best wishes, -Ally

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 17, 2007 05:00AM

I am a new raw fooder and have been a runner for years avg 20 mls a week, trained with weights, play about 3 hr of tennis a week and do yoga class at my tennis club. I had to eat a lot, or so it seemed, in order to fuel the energy for all the sports etc. Well what i have discovered in being raw is that my blood sugar is more stable, hence no shakes or sweats or that starving feeling i used to have that would end my workout. Now I do not have those symptoms and feel light as a feather. I didnt go through any food withdrawals, at all. Hope that helps.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 17, 2007 05:27AM

Been running for many years no problem with just fruits and veggies.

Just dont forget to eat plenty of them when hunger calls.

Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: GotVeggie ()
Date: January 19, 2007 11:28AM

suncloud Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Minou33,
>
> Like you, I was recently running 6 miles 5 times a
> week. I'm now running about 4 miles every other
> day, but I love to run. I love the way it makes
> me feel. I also do yoga and an aerobic routine
> with handweights.
>
> I'm a 100% raw fooder, and have been for some
> time, and I find I feel a lot better running
> without the burden of cooked food (even vegan
> cooked).
>
> I eat mostly fruit and lots of it, but I also eat
> raw unhulled sesame seeds every day - about 1/4 to
> 1/2 cup - and usually 1/2 to a whole avocado every
> day. I also eat salads, but (as I've discussed in
> the past under "Ally"winking smiley, I'm somewhat sensitive to
> veggies, so I only eat a salad once or twice a
> week. Whenever I eat salads, I add raw wheat germ
> or sprouted wheat. The combination of the raw
> veggies and raw wheat seems to satisfy me for
> quite some time, and then I feel great going back
> to eating just fruits and nuts/seeds for the next
> several days.
>
> You of course will have to experiment to see what
> raw foods regimen works best for you. On raw
> foods, you won't have the heavier starchy cooked
> carbs, but you can eat nuts and seeds (preferably
> organic) for a bit more staying power, and I
> personally find a small amount of wheat germ or
> sprouted wheat is very helpful.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Ally

Whats Up Ally?

I'm a runner here in Southern California. I was wondering what benefits you see in raw unhulled sesame seeds? I tried doing a search and they just say it has lots of copper and a great source of dietary fiber. But I already intake wheat germ, nuts and Flaxseed Meal from Trader Joes.

Any response would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Date: January 19, 2007 09:22PM

Dear GotVeggie,

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture (see nutritiondata.com), there's more calcium in a QUARTER cup of sesame seeds than in a WHOLE cup of whole milk.

One WHOLE cup of whole milk gives you only 276 mg of calcium (or 28% of the daily requirement, ie 28% DV), but just a QUARTER cup of sesame seeds gives you 351 mg of calcium (or 35% of the daily requirement,ie 35% DV).

There's about EIGHT TIMES more iron in an ounce of sesame seeds than an ounce of sirloin steak.

According to the USDA, an ounce (less than 1/4 cup) of sesame seeds supplies you with 4.1 mg of iron (or 23% of the daily requirement, ie 23% DV), and an ounce of sirloin steak supplies only .5 mg (or 3% of the daily requirement, ie 3% DV)

Gram for gram, sesame seeds supply more iron than any other whole food with the exception of mollusks and animal spleen, and more calcium than any other whole foods with the exception of the sisymbrium sp. seed (whatever that is) and a few (but not many) dried milk products and cheeses.

If you've ever had leg or toe cramps at night, that's often caused by lack of calcium. I've noticed that never happens to me as long as I eat 1/4 to 1/2 cup of unhulled sesame seeds per day. Much of the calcium is in the hull.

I have vertigo when my iron gets low, and eating sesame seeds keeps that under control.

Bernard Jensen, who traveled the world researching the health habits of centenarians, considers sesame seeds to be one of the most beneficial foods in the world ("World Keys to Health and Long Life, 1975).

You do have to chew 'em pretty well, but after a while, you might notice how much you really like that burst of sesame flavor.

-Ally

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2007 09:30PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 19, 2007 10:08PM

Sesame seeds are wonderful, I really got into them recently. I usually grind them up first (in a coffee grinder) and make them into either a salad dressing or a cake (halva type of thing).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables