Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Flowers, on a raw food diet?
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 13, 2007 11:27PM

Does anyone eat flowers as part of a regular raw food diet, or does anyone have any words of wisdom about eating flowers?

Would anyone like to share with us what kind of flowers you like best to eat?

Does anyone know of a resource for nutritional information on flowers?

I'm wondering if flowers might be a nice addition to a raw food diet, regardless of whatever nutritional information is available.

Any thoughts on flowers in a raw food vegan diet?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2007 11:39PM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flowers, on a raw food diet?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: January 14, 2007 12:15AM

Yeah, I think flowers are great to eat. My basic understanding is that if the rest of the plant is edible then the flowers probably will be.

I like to eat the flowers of the wild greens I collect - chickweed, mallow, thistles, etc.

You've just got to be aware that the flower is how the plant reproduces, so if the plant is rare then you shouldn't eat the flower (in England it is illegal to pick flowers from certain rare wild plants).

Nutrition wise, well, if bee pollen is so nutritious then flowers must be too as that's what the bees feed on (although bee pollen is a concentrated food).

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 14, 2007 01:32AM

My understanding is that 99% of flowers are edible. I don't think they are very sustainable as a food source since they are so lacking in calories....and in most cases, taste.....and also tend to be full of bugs....or other materials that they have filtered from the air....so I avoid them. Just my observation/opinion.

-David Z. Mason

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 14, 2007 02:07AM

careful to eat the right ones
i've eaten one that i mistook to be another flower and i really paid for it
my tongue was lined with tiny little needle like bristles
wrong flower

oh well

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 15, 2007 06:30AM

Broccoli (florets), cauliflower, and artichokes!

Posted by: greenie ()
Date: January 15, 2007 07:54AM

I love to eat flowers from my garden: nasturtiums, sweet williams, chives, marigolds, borage, roses, chrysantemums, locust blossoms. I scatter the petals in my salads and use them as edible garnishs. Rose petals are wonderful in desserts.

The vitality of the whole plant is in the flower, it's full of life force. Wonderful.

Don't eat flowers unless you grow them yourself or find them wild, far from the road (which picks up pollution from cars). Flowers at the florist are usually sprayed with an assortment of chemicals, and God knows how they're grown.

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: January 15, 2007 01:22PM

I used to eat pumpkin flowers when I lived at a place where we grew them. I'd sometimes break the flower apart and taste each part. The very center has the most distinct taste. It's still pretty bland, nothing that's gonna knock your socks off. But it's a nice taste. And the insects, yeah, taking food that they want too. Usually, I only took the flowers that didn't have insects in them at the time I was picking.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: Witarianin ()
Date: January 15, 2007 05:49PM

Hmm, interesting subject.

I can share that Dr. Young had measured "energy", expressed in MHz of living as well dying/dead cells, in food/organic matter..

He found out followingsad smileyexcerpt)
"...A healthy heart vibrates at 72 MHz where a beautiful red rose vibrates at 350 MHz. In contrast, a tumor vibrates at 40 MHz and a hamburger at 5 MHz...."

hat is something to think about. of course taking all under consideration, they(flowers) may be a CURE, much more likely than a food..

here's link: [www.phmiracleliving.com] mind that Mozilla firefox will not display(as of 01.2007)articles on this website because or wrong java implementation(on behalf of site i believe.use IE, or opera)

In order to read it you have to click on article title.

Free, Open source.Healthysmiling smiley
F.E.A.R. is
an acronym that stands for, False Evidence Appearing Real
F.A.I.T.H. - the First Attribute IN Thoughtful
Health

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 15, 2007 06:34PM

I will add some red roses to my fruit smoothies

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 15, 2007 07:37PM

I use Flower Essences. I also eat edible flowers
in the summer, they are a great addition to salads.

Mike

Photo salad w/flowers fr my summer garden
Date: January 15, 2007 08:04PM

This is a test, my first time trying to upload a pic:

Date: January 16, 2007 06:56AM

I much appreciate the advice and suggestions. The flowers mentioned above sound wonderful. I've enjoyed eating nasturtiums and marigolds from the garden before, but I haven't tried much else. I remember picking and eating the red clovers as a child. I'm hoping to include a good selection of flowers in a new garden soon.

Thanks so much everybody. -Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2007 07:01AM by suncloud.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 17, 2007 11:04AM

I used to munch on those white flowers, what do you call them..uh uh..I totally forgot but here are some..lol

oh you need to put the slash inside the brackets..[/img] at the end..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2007 11:05AM by coconutcream.

Date: January 17, 2007 03:26PM

Here's another try at my photo

Bingo!

Thank you coconutcream!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2007 03:27PM by greenie.

Date: January 17, 2007 09:28PM

Those flower pictures are beautiful, coconutcream and greenie! I think maybe the hardest part of eating flowers will be that after eating them, we can't see them anymore. I guess the solution will be to grow a lot of flowers to look at AND to eat!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables